Man Overboard on Rotterdam???

LoraJ

Jason,

What a strong and wonderful son you are. I can only imagine how proud your family must be of you, and how proud your dear father would be as well.

To take your time in the midst of all the pain and turmoil both you and your family are going through to write what I'm sure was a very painful letter, to strangers on a Cruise Forum, speaks volumes for your thoughtfulness, your innate kindness and your marvelous upbringing. Bless you.

Please know that all here were saddened by your loss and hold you in our thoughts and prayers. We are also extremely proud of all those with HAL that came to your assistance and stayed by your side throughout your time of need. Major kudos to this wonderful cruise line.

Stay strong, Jason, and please pass along our deepest condolences to your entire family. You will forever remain in our hearts and prayers.

Jason, thank you for letting us know that HAL was there to help your family at such a difficult time. I'm glad that you were able to be there to give your mother the support she needed. I am glad to know that HAL has a Care Team to give help too at such a sorrowful time.

You and your mother and all the family are in my prayers.

Thank you for taking time to post.

ALL this family has been through and Jason joins CC to let us all know "the rest of the story"....................what a man!

Jason, that lets us all know how special your parents are..........they surely raised a caring young man.

I had NO idea the HAL staff would go this far in helping their passengers.

I wish the media would pick up on your story........in spite of the sadness, we can understand your Father's situation and know you will continue to be of support to your Mother.

Thank you for your consideration of us, the CC community.

Dear Jason, My deepest sympathy to you, your Mom and your family.. I hope you will find comfort in the special memories you all shared with your Dad...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us at this most difficult time..I too had no idea that HAL had a Care Team..It's wonderful to know how much they helped you and your family during this sad time...

My thoughts & prayers are with you all....

Betty

Jason,

Our condolences to you, your Mom and family. I cannot imagine how hard this must have been....... And is.

Thank you for posting. And thank you to HAL for stepping with classy and compassionate leadership.

~TC

Right when I signed off, I had the feeling I'd left myself wide open for being "flamed":( when I said I wish the media would get ahold of Jason's story.

WHAT I MEANT was that the media had that horrible story of how a young woman was "left all alone on the dock with her suitcases" after her husband had disappeared off a cruise ship........her family was blasting the cruise company, etc.

So, Jason's wonderful write-up (to help all of us CCers), would testify to the loving care given to this family by the cruise line.

Peaceful days to you and your family, Jason.

Jason, as you can see the Cruise Critic family is a big one and a caring one as well. We wish you peace and strength at what is one of the most difficult times of your life. My husband joins me in extending our sympathy and prayers for you, your mother, and the rest of your family as well. May your father rest in peace.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Jason, I am so sorry for your loss and the myriad of emotions your family is now experiencing. Unless you have experienced the loss of a loved one by suicide, there is no way to understand what happens emotionally to those left. The feelings of guilt (what did I do wrong) (what should I have done) (what could I have said differently) (why didn't I say...), the betrayal (why did he/she do this to me), the loss of trust and fear of getting too close to others are just a few. And the incredible sadness. My beloved big brother killed himself just last month. I was his last contact and I never had a clue. Through support meetings I am learning we never really know what is going on inside someone else's brain and plans of suicide are often very well hidden, down to the last minute. And one day I will understand there was nothing I could have done to change his mind. My strong faith and church family are the only things that have kept me sane.

I hope you and your family get in contact with some support groups. It will surprise you to learn how many people are affected by this every year.

Please accept our condolences and sympathy. In this sad time I hope that you and your family will be able to sense the supporting presence of both friends that you know in person and friends that you only know here at Cruise Critic. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Jason,

Thank you for posting during what must be an incredibly difficult time for you and your family. The grace with which you have handled this is amazing.

My heartfelt sympathy to all of you for your loss.

It is heartening to know how HAL was there for your family during such a tragic loss.

Jason, my deepest sympathy is being sent to you and your family. May you and your family receive the extra comfort that is needed in the coming days. Thank you for sharing the details of all the help you received from HAL.

My name is Jason. My dad, Walter was the individual that went overboard on the 26th off of the Rotterdam. Dad was a very strong individual that lived life to it's fullest. He had become progressively more ill and knew that there was little he could do to change it.

My mom, Judy, met many wonderful people aboard ship, both before and after the incident. She was humbled by the number of cruise critics and others that attended the memorial on the morning of the 27th.

The ship and it's personnel became her guardian angels. She would like to personally thank each and every crew member that assisted her in her time of need. Holland America went above and beyond the call of duty in taking care of both her and my wife and I.

You see, shortly after I received the call from my mom via the ship's satellite phone, I received a call from the Holland America Care Team. They asked me if I was willing to meet my mom in Costa Rica. They told me that they would pay for my flight and accomodations and we would be flying out the next morning. After we arrived in Costa Rica, we met up with Mom and the Care Team. The Care Team were invaluable guides for us in Costa Rica as we underwent the long, arduous process of working our way through the government beaurocracy that stood between us and getting dad home.

It took us 5 days and they were our ever present friends and guides. They were our moral and physical support. They helped us figure out how to get dad from the mortuary to the funeral home, how to get his body cremated, how to prepare the required embassy paperwork, arranged transportation, meals and lodging for the entire ordeal. They cried with us and laughed with us. They are our heroes.

I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, Holland America and the Care Team. Without them, we would have spent thousands trying to get mom and dad home, and would likely still be in Costa Rica, working our way through a third world bureaucracy where few people speak English. They went above and beyond the call of duty and I will remember them and their generosity forever.

Thank You,

Jason and Family

Dear Jason,

What a remarkable man you are to think of all of us during this most difficult time in your life. Thank you for taking time out of your grief to let us know what happened to your father. We are all so very saddened about this terrible loss for you, your mother and wife and all your family. Please take comfort in knowing that your Dad is free of all the pain that his illness caused him. It makes my heart smile to know that HAL went to great lengths to help all of you through the difficult process of bringing your Dad home. It must have been reassuring to know that there were good people taking care of your mother during the long hours it took to get to where she was. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Jason,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so glad that HAL was able to help you guys out so much. So glad you could be there for your mom and that HAL made it possible.

You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts.

Jason:

Thank You for taking time to post and to share at this most difficult time for you and your loved ones. Thanks for letting everyone know just how classy HAL is. They showed their true colors in flying you down to Costa Rica and giving you the assistance you and your mother needed.

I am truly sorry for what happened to your Father. May he rest in peace and may the good Lord guide your mother as she moves on from the tragedy.

With prayers and blessings, I remain

Himself

My name is Jason. My dad, Walter was the individual that went overboard on the 26th off of the Rotterdam. Dad was a very strong individual that lived life to it's fullest. He had become progressively more ill and knew that there was little he could do to change it.

My mom, Judy, met many wonderful people aboard ship, both before and after the incident. She was humbled by the number of cruise critics and others that attended the memorial on the morning of the 27th.

The ship and it's personnel became her guardian angels. She would like to personally thank each and every crew member that assisted her in her time of need. Holland America went above and beyond the call of duty in taking care of both her and my wife and I.

You see, shortly after I received the call from my mom via the ship's satellite phone, I received a call from the Holland America Care Team. They asked me if I was willing to meet my mom in Costa Rica. They told me that they would pay for my flight and accomodations and we would be flying out the next morning. After we arrived in Costa Rica, we met up with Mom and the Care Team. The Care Team were invaluable guides for us in Costa Rica as we underwent the long, arduous process of working our way through the government beaurocracy that stood between us and getting dad home.

It took us 5 days and they were our ever present friends and guides. They were our moral and physical support. They helped us figure out how to get dad from the mortuary to the funeral home, how to get his body cremated, how to prepare the required embassy paperwork, arranged transportation, meals and lodging for the entire ordeal. They cried with us and laughed with us. They are our heroes.

I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, Holland America and the Care Team. Without them, we would have spent thousands trying to get mom and dad home, and would likely still be in Costa Rica, working our way through a third world bureaucracy where few people speak English. They went above and beyond the call of duty and I will remember them and their generosity forever.

Thank You,

Jason and Family

Our deepest sympathy is extended to you and all your loved ones....

Archived