Man Overboard on Rotterdam???

LoraJ

My mom is out of quarantine today and feeling better and so far my dad has not come down with anything. She was glad she was able to get a lot of rest. They are looking forward to the ports during their last week.

As for the CC member, my dad was able to get on AOL for free in the terminal (free wi-fi) and we had a discussion about it. He was not very familiar with the person, my mom was a little more. From what he told me I was able to figure it out from the roll call, however, I do not want to say since the identity could be hearsay. They were not HAL regulars but seemed to love cruising. My parents do not have any more details about the circumstances, I just hope HAL take good care of the wife and she is with loved ones now to help her through this.

My mom is out of quarantine today and feeling better and so far my dad has not come down with anything. She was glad she was able to get a lot of rest. They are looking forward to the ports during their last week.

As for the CC member, my dad was able to get on AOL for free in the terminal (free wi-fi) and we had a discussion about it. He was not very familiar with the person, my mom was a little more. From what he told me I was able to figure it out from the roll call, however, I do not want to say since the identity could be hearsay. They were not HAL regulars but seemed to love cruising. My parents do not have any more details about the circumstances, I just hope HAL take good care of the wife and she is with loved ones now to help her through this.

Good to hear your mom is doing so much better and your dad is not sick!

I understand and respect your reasons for not mentioning his name or going into detail. It is indeed with heavy hearts that we all read about him.

Joanie

Thanks for the information. This story will always be a downer. I just hope this story does not ruin the cruise for the PAX. I hope they can just get some good ports and have enough on the ship to keep there minds off the needless tragedy. My heart and prayers go out to the survivors.

My name is Jason. My dad, Walter was the individual that went overboard on the 26th off of the Rotterdam. Dad was a very strong individual that lived life to it's fullest. He had become progressively more ill and knew that there was little he could do to change it.

My mom, Judy, met many wonderful people aboard ship, both before and after the incident. She was humbled by the number of cruise critics and others that attended the memorial on the morning of the 27th.

The ship and it's personnel became her guardian angels. She would like to personally thank each and every crew member that assisted her in her time of need. Holland America went above and beyond the call of duty in taking care of both her and my wife and I.

You see, shortly after I received the call from my mom via the ship's satellite phone, I received a call from the Holland America Care Team. They asked me if I was willing to meet my mom in Costa Rica. They told me that they would pay for my flight and accomodations and we would be flying out the next morning. After we arrived in Costa Rica, we met up with Mom and the Care Team. The Care Team were invaluable guides for us in Costa Rica as we underwent the long, arduous process of working our way through the government beaurocracy that stood between us and getting dad home.

It took us 5 days and they were our ever present friends and guides. They were our moral and physical support. They helped us figure out how to get dad from the mortuary to the funeral home, how to get his body cremated, how to prepare the required embassy paperwork, arranged transportation, meals and lodging for the entire ordeal. They cried with us and laughed with us. They are our heroes.

I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, Holland America and the Care Team. Without them, we would have spent thousands trying to get mom and dad home, and would likely still be in Costa Rica, working our way through a third world bureaucracy where few people speak English. They went above and beyond the call of duty and I will remember them and their generosity forever.

Thank You,

Jason and Family

Oh my gosh Jason, I was in tears reading this. For you and your mom and your wife, for Holland America coming through and being so much help in your time of need, for your dad who had no way out of his illness. It was not necessary for you to come on here and post but thank you so much for doing it. May God bless your family.

Dear Jason

I am so sorry for the loss of your father and for the difficult times surrounding his death. It is difficult enough to deal with these things when you can see death approaching on home turf in familiar surroundings.

I thank you, Jason, for your graciousness and selflessness in coming here to let us know about what must have been an overwhelming and painful journey. You're actually helping us feel warmed through your recounting of how the Holland America Care Team supported your family in so many ways.

Please, close your eyes and try to imagine the many us here on the HAL forum with their arms around your family, caring, and wishing you peace in the days and months to come.

And although this was a very difficult time to do a first post on Cruise Critic, we welcome you and hope you will visit us again and let us know how you are.

Jason-

My deepest condolences to you, your Mom, and your family.

I very much appreciate hearing how helpful HAL was during this ordeal. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a Holland America Care Team. I am so glad to hear that they assisted your family as much as they did. It is reassuring to know that if the unthinkable happened that HAL would be so helpful and accommodating. Kudos to HAL....

and thank your Jason for posting this.

Clearly your father raised a very fine son. :) How relieved your mother must have been to see you and your wife arrive in Costa Rica.

You have reassured us all by recounting how Hal aided you through

such a difficult time. Thank you for posting and I send my heartfelt best wishes to you and all your family.

Jason:

Please let me add my sincere condolences to you and to your family. It breaks our hearts to read of the loss of your father. I know he must have been in a terrible situation.

For you to come here and share your story with us is a wonderful thing. Many here will be deeply touched and will learn a bit more that there are good and kind people in the world who help us in times of need.

God Bless You and Your Family.

My name is Jason. My dad, Walter was the individual that went overboard on the 26th off of the Rotterdam. Dad was a very strong individual that lived life to it's fullest. He had become progressively more ill and knew that there was little he could do to change it.....

Jason and Family

Jason, my deepest condolences to your mom, your wife, yourself and all family and friends for the loss of your dad. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering that you all are going through even now.

Thank you so very much though, for taking the time to come and let us all know and letting us tell you just how much we, the Cruise Critic family, do care and grieve with you and for you.

God Bless and stay positive

Joanie

Jason,

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with your Mom, you and your family at this most difficult and painful time.

Your courage in posting this very personal information is awesome. I hope you know that the CC family are all feeling your loss and extending their prayers to you.

It's also wonderful to know that HAL and the Care Group were there for you and your Mom. They must be very special people.

With heavy heart,

Carole

Hi Jason,

It must have been so difficult writing this letter to us, your unseen friends.

Thank you so much for sharing the sad events with us & we will continue to pray for your Mum & family at this time. Proverbs 3:6

Kindest regards

Noel & Pat

Melbourne Australia

Please let me add my sympathy and prayers for you and your family Jason. It is wonderful how well HAL Care Team came through for you and your Mom.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing such difficult information with us.

Jason,

How very thoughtful you are, to stop by here and let us know about your experience. I cannot begin to imagine how painful this all was for your family, and truly appreciate your willingness to share. Prayers for your entire family ... and kudos to the amazing Hal Care Team.

Jason I want to add my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. You didn't have to post here, but you did and we all appreciate knowing about the wonderful care you received from HAL. I too had no idea that there is a "care team". I'm so glad they were able to help you when you needed it so much.

Prayers going out to you and all your family during this very hard time.

Jason, thank you so much for sharing your family's difficult story with us. How wonderful that HAL came through in such a magnificent way at a time when your Mom and your family needed support and aid so much.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jason

You and your family are in our prayers. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us that there are still caring and kind people out there. I was touched that your Mother was so well taken care of in her truly heartbreaking situation. God Bless your family.

Kim

Jason, I am so very sorry for all that you and your family are going through.

Thank you for letting us know that, should we ever be in a time of need while sailing, that HAL has a procedure set up to help.

Archived