Ship water sodium

Just got back from a cruise, and we did our own experiment on this topic. DD ALWAYS bloats on cruises. This time, she didn't drink any of the ships water (excluding things like ice and coffee), but loaded up on bottled water. Didn't bloat. Period. Didn't change any of the rest of her diet. So we're going with the ships water having a higher salt content.

And I will say, again, that it is not the sodium content of the water. You say she "loaded up on bottled water", does that mean that she drank more bottled water than she did tap water on previous cruises? Because the only way to actually determine this would be to take two cruises of identical length, to identical climates, and drink the same amount of either bottled water or tap water. Drinking from a bottle makes you more aware of how much you are drinking, more so than tap water in a glass.

Just got back from a cruise, and we did our own experiment on this topic. DD ALWAYS bloats on cruises. This time, she didn't drink any of the ships water (excluding things like ice and coffee), but loaded up on bottled water. Didn't bloat. Period. Didn't change any of the rest of her diet. So we're going with the ships water having a higher salt content.

Same thing happens to my wife's ankles. Little to no swelling with bottled water. Major swelling drinking the ship's water.

I think a lot of people blame the water, but I think the bigger culprit is that the food on cruise ships is likely much higher in sodium than people's regular diets and people tend to eat larger quantities than when not cruising.

Other factors such as heat and humidity, being more sedentary than usual, and/or consuming more alcohol than usual can all contribute as well.

Good post. I'm always watching my weight, since being forced to retire from marathoning, I have to fight not to slip into obesity again, so I am pretty active on board despite getting plenty of relaxation on board. in a 24 hour day, I can be active for 2 hours and still get 22 hours of relaxation.

Same thing happens to my wife's ankles. Little to no swelling with bottled water. Major swelling drinking the ship's water.

Agree with your wife! I always drink a lot of water but swelling feet is a thing of the past since I switched to bottle water.

Sherri:)

Same here, drink ship water, swelling occurs. Drink bottled water, no swelling. Gee, guess it must all be in my head?? :eek: :D Even my DH noticed the difference with his fingers swelling with the ship water. We prefer the bottled water, whether that is the culprit or not.

I've done the same thing the last two cruises. One we drove to, one we flew 3 hours. I had considerably less bloating on both trips. My goal was to have at least two bottles of water a day (some were more but I always managed at least two). I had a couple of times with minor bloating (likely spiked by something in the food) but through the last 12 day trip, my ankles were visible and I could wear heels every night to dinner. Generally by the end of 7 days, my ankles disappear and are painful. I will stay away from the ship water going forward since it seems to be my problem area.

I've also experienced major swelling in my ankles/feet on cruises in the past. There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I think I'll try bottled water (we have the deluxe beverage package which includes it) and also try to avoid saltier foods - and maybe also try mineral supplements (someone mentioned Gatorade - but I'm guessing that's NOT available on board!).

Re the bottled water - do the specialty restaurants and MDR have bottled water available? I know I will be able to get it at some of the bars.

... Re the bottled water - do the specialty restaurants and MDR have bottled water available? I know I will be able to get it at some of the bars.

Yes, all the restaurants have bottled water. They also have the Pellegrino sparkling bottled water.

Yes, all the restaurants have bottled water. They also have the Pellegrino sparkling bottled water.

Thanks, Clarea! I'll be asking for that in both the MDR and specialty restaurants - and when we hit the bars, we'll ask for bottled water that I'll take back to the room to keep in the frig.

Keep in mind there are people posting on this topic who have a vested interest in telling you ships water is not the cause of your swelling.

The fact is drinking water made from the sea goes through a desalinization process. I agree this water is perfectly fine and in most cases may actually be better than your tap water or some bottled water you find at home. However, the results of the amount of sodium retained once the process completes can vary, in some instances it depends upon the maintenance of the units producing the water. This water is used in the preparation of the food so the argument of whether the cause of swelling is food or water is a waste of time. I for one (because of a kidney issue) take specific bottled water onboard each cruise and I avoid high sodium type foods such as soups while dining on the ship. As an FYI, I served onboard a US Navy carrier and worked on the evaporator desalination system.

Keep in mind there are people posting on this topic who have a vested interest in telling you ships water is not the cause of your swelling.

As an FYI, I served onboard a US Navy carrier and worked on the evaporator desalination system.

And from previous threads, I assume you are referring to me in your first sentence. I have no vested interest whatsoever in cruise ship water quality, as I no longer work on cruise ships (as I sit on a tanker in Carteret, NJ).

And, I have not said that the ship's water is not the cause of water retention, I have said it is not the sodium. In 40 years at sea, I have never operated a flash evaporator that produced over 10ppm sodium, and 98% of the time 1-2ppm sodium. Salinity cells can fail, but proper planned maintenance will test these on a routine basis, and renew them before they fail.

Sooo... My mom is a heart transplant recipient. We are cruising on the 13th. She is only supposed to drink bottled water EVER per her doctors. Are we allowed to take bottled water with us on the boat? Do we put it in our luggage?

The fact is drinking water made from the sea goes through a desalinization process. I agree this water is perfectly fine and in most cases may actually be better than your tap water or some bottled water you find at home. However, the results of the amount of sodium retained once the process completes can vary, in some instances it depends upon the maintenance of the units producing the water. This water is used in the preparation of the food so the argument of whether the cause of swelling is food or water is a waste of time. I for one (because of a kidney issue) take specific bottled water onboard each cruise and I avoid high sodium type foods such as soups while dining on the ship. As an FYI, I served onboard a US Navy carrier and worked on the evaporator desalination system.

I can tell you for me it is not the ships water, at least on my last cruise. I have had the swelling for a couple years now and for this time have been drinking all bottled water which has not helped one bit. I have no swelling at home at all. Harmony is not making drinking water out of sea water, although she has that ability. All of harmonys water is land based at this time, they carry enough to meet all needs. So, For me, I will say it's the food.

Sooo... My mom is a heart transplant recipient. We are cruising on the 13th. She is only supposed to drink bottled water EVER per her doctors. Are we allowed to take bottled water with us on the boat? Do we put it in our luggage?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Technically, you are not allowed to bring bottled water on board. However, RC rarely enforces that rule. If you don't want to bring bottled water on board, you can buy it onboard, at very high prices.

HCordell, contact special needs at Royal to see if you can bring her water and what type of documentation is needed for it. As others have said it is generally on the prohibited list, but many people are successful in bringing it on board. My luck would be not contacting them first, and then have the water not allowed when I arrived. As the saying goes, better safe then sorry.

If you plan on buying the non-alcoholic drink package bottled water is included in that.

They have an on line form: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do or email them at: special_needs@rccl.com

And I will say, again, that it is not the sodium content of the water. You say she "loaded up on bottled water", does that mean that she drank more bottled water than she did tap water on previous cruises? Because the only way to actually determine this would be to take two cruises of identical length, to identical climates, and drink the same amount of either bottled water or tap water. Drinking from a bottle makes you more aware of how much you are drinking, more so than tap water in a glass.

I would say she drank the SAME amount of water (if not less), but only BOTTLED this time around. Identical climates as well. And, as sure as you are that it's not the tap water causing the bloating, I am sure it is. I was amazed at the lack of bloating she experienced on this sailing.

One good thing we found during the Diamond happy hour, unlimited bottled water, free.

I would say she drank the SAME amount of water (if not less), but only BOTTLED this time around. Identical climates as well. And, as sure as you are that it's not the tap water causing the bloating, I am sure it is. I was amazed at the lack of bloating she experienced on this sailing.

One good thing we found during the Diamond happy hour, unlimited bottled water, free.

And again, I will say that I've not said it wasn't the tap water, but that it wasn't the sodium in the tap water. The lack of minerals in distilled water, the chlorine in the water, etc., could be causing the tap water to make her retain water, it just isn't sodium.

And again, I will say that I've not said it wasn't the tap water, but that it wasn't the sodium in the tap water. The lack of minerals in distilled water, the chlorine in the water, etc., could be causing the tap water to make her retain water, it just isn't sodium.

Thank you again. Like I tell my kids, learn something new everyday...

The term "Bottled Water" leaves an awful lot to interpretation. There are dozens on the shelves, some with and some without minerals. Some brand name waters are nothing but water from the local water supply (TAP WATER), some are filtered, some are purified some have added minerals, some are from springs and those can or cannot be treated as well..????? What about her tea, coffee, ice or soups and things all made with ship water.

Find which she should be drinking and bring PLENTY..OR BETTER.. Contact special services, they may have a solution and provide the needed water.

if it is her only source of hydration you should HAVE A LOT AVAILABLE. A 120 pound person should drink A MINUMUM OF about 80 ounces a day, that's more than 2 one liter bottles..

Contact special services, they may have a solution and provide the needed water Bring a doctor's note if he/she will write one. I have never seen it stopped.

bosco

The problem I have with a lot of your postings Cheng is the you always speak in definite terms.....where I, coming from experience, do not leave anything out of the equation....this post is a good example, you refuse to admit sodium is a possibility however in a previous post you admit improper preventive maintenance of the salinity cells could be an issue.

Regardless, I believe we both agree the shipboard water could be an issue for someone to swell, however we disagree on why.....

The problem I have with a lot of your postings Cheng is the you always speak in definite terms.....where I, coming from experience, do not leave anything out of the equation....this post is a good example, you refuse to admit sodium is a possibility however in a previous post you admit improper preventive maintenance of the salinity cells could be an issue.

Regardless, I believe we both agree the shipboard water could be an issue for someone to swell, however we disagree on why.....

I tend to speak in definite terms because the mandatory operational and maintenance programs we work under tend to have interlocking checks and balances, like monthly testing of water from random sites around the ship, and multiple salinity cells in the systems, that would detect any poor maintenance of the evaporators, and these systems are audited by multiple third party entities. But, hey, that's just my experience.

Edited by chengkp75

Thank you for the info! I submitted the form.

HCordell, contact special needs at Royal to see if you can bring her water and what type of documentation is needed for it. As others have said it is generally on the prohibited list, but many people are successful in bringing it on board. My luck would be not contacting them first, and then have the water not allowed when I arrived. As the saying goes, better safe then sorry.

If you plan on buying the non-alcoholic drink package bottled water is included in that.

They have an on line form: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do or email them at: special_needs@rccl.com

As always, logic and rationality, thanks. That said, those who believe in voodoo still will believe in voodoo no matter what logic and rationality dictate.

This thread is ancient, and still myths and mythology hold sway.

JC

I tend to speak in definite terms because the mandatory operational and maintenance programs we work under tend to have interlocking checks and balances, like monthly testing of water from random sites around the ship, and multiple salinity cells in the systems, that would detect any poor maintenance of the evaporators, and these systems are audited by multiple third party entities. But, hey, that's just my experience.

Theoretical possibilities versus realistic probabilities. I'll bear the former in mind but go with the latter. Thanks Chengkp75.

Bring a Brita water bottle and refill it from the tap in the buffet. It will remove the salt if any. I've done this for every cruise. Put your name and room number on a piece of tape on the bottle in case you leave it somewhere. The staff will return it to your room or the lost and found.