Adult-only pools

kdlog

I wasn't sure about carnival or royal caribbean. Someone I know who went on both of those this year said their ship did not have separate areas. Good to know there are more out there, though.

Are the celebrity pools inside?

I wasn't sure about carnival or royal caribbean. Someone I know who went on both of those this year said their ship did not have separate areas. Good to know there are more out there, though.

Are the celebrity pools inside?

The RCCL and Celebrity ships adult Solarium pools are indoors. Not all ships have them, and not all Solarium roofs will open. It depends on the ship.

For Princess ships, we've found the adults pool areas were observed well on the Grand class and newer ships. The adults only pool on the Sun wasn't. It was right beside the main pool. We occasionally had to chase kids away from the hot tubs in that area. But we did not bother trying to chase them away from the pool as well.

It depends on the ship...all of the newer RCI ships have an "Adult Solarium"....outside on Voyager and Freedom class...under roof on Radiance class.

The Vision class ships have Solariums similar to the Radiance class.

The RCCL and Celebrity ships adult Solarium pools are indoors. Not all ships have them, and not all Solarium roofs will open. It depends on the ship.

There are no roofs on the Solariums on RCI's Mariner and Freedom classes, so they are not indoors. But they are separate facilities with doors, etc. I'm not sure whether the Oasis Solarium has a roof or not.

beachchick

On the NCL Gem last summer there was a family pool and hot tub alongside an adults only pool and hot tub, but the rules were unevenly enforced. Parents were the worst offenders - kids on their own didn't often wander into the adult pool or hot tub, but I did watch several parents invite/bring their kids in.

• 1 month later...

RCCL has great adult only pools. The "tweenagers" try to push the envelope because they are great...Holland(at least the Veendam and Maasdam) didn't..Maasdam offered an outdoor pool that was supposedly adults only...however...it was too cold in Canada to worry about and there were kids in that pool.

RCCL has great adult only pools. The "tweenagers" try to push the envelope because they are great...Holland(at least the Veendam and Maasdam) didn't..Maasdam offered an outdoor pool that was supposedly adults only...however...it was too cold in Canada to worry about and there were kids in that pool.

FYI, the 'adult only' pools are for those 16 and older on Royal. And yes they do enforce the age restriction. DH and I were in the cantilevered hot tub on Freedom (in the adult area) and a kid, maybe 10 - 11 years old got in. The deck patrol was there in seconds reminding him that it was an adult only hot tub. Was nice to see.

It depends on the ship...all of the newer RCI ships have an "Adult Solarium"....outside on Voyager and Freedom class...under roof on Radiance class.

The older ships also have it. There are only 2 RCI ships that don't have an adults only pool....Majesty and Monarch.

As far as I know, all the Spirit Class Carnival ships have an adult only pool. I know Miracle does. (Miracle goes out of NY, and Pride out of Baltimore, not sure where the others are) They have 3 pools, each with a hot tub adjacent, 2 amidships, for anyone, and 1 aft, for adults only. That being said, "adults only" is subjective. Is that teenager 16, 17, or 18? I know one of the girls in the pool next to me was under 18, she was talking college hunting with her mother, but she was otherwise sitting quietly, so there was no issue. You will also find some adult holding the occasional infant.

Just off of RCI's Jewel of the Seas. Their "adult" solarium has children's hours. Children were allowed in the pool during two two-hour blocks each day. They could not be in diapers and had to be with a parent.

A few families did use the pool, despite the dirty looks from the adults who did not appreciate the noise and splashing.

Just off of RCI's Jewel of the Seas. Their "adult" solarium has children's hours. Children were allowed in the pool during two two-hour blocks each day. They could not be in diapers and had to be with a parent.

A few families did use the pool, despite the dirty looks from the adults who did not appreciate the noise and splashing.

Just curious....what was your itinerary? RCI does do this regularly on colder journeys or during inclement weather when use of the outdoor pools is not feasible.

You did Scandinavia and the Baltics? Even at this time of year, it is rarely warm enough for swimming and sunning in the outdoor pools. It also rains quite a bit in the summer in that region. For those kinds of itineraries (Alaska, Canada, northern Europe, the Med in winter; in other words, any colder route), RCI has long had a policy (a decade or so) of having posted hours for the Solarium to be for everyone. It is a reasonable and fair thing to do--and this is coming from someone who considers the Solariums a haven and who would not hesitate for a moment to get an attendant to ask children to leave at any other time.

IMO, those adults had no business giving the families dirty looks because it is part of the deal when the Solarium and Solarium pool are open to all passengers. Those adults still had the other hours of the day (generally quite a few) where the Solarium would have been age-restricted. If they didn't "appreciate" that, then they could have left the Solarium during family hours and come back for the other 18 or so hours of the day. Where else onboard did they expect the kids to go swim and play in the water? It was those adults who were rude and wrong to try to make the families/children unwelcome during hours that were clearly posted as allowing them so that all passengers would have an opportunity to enjoy a bit of pool time.

beachchick

.... Freedom (in the adult area) and a kid, maybe 10 - 11 years old got in. The deck patrol was there in seconds reminding him that it was an adult only hot tub. Was nice to see.

It's great when these rules are enforced.

• 4 weeks later...

Contrary to passenger's beliefs, the Maasdam aft pool is not adult only. There is a sign that says "Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult". So...I took my 7 year old daughter in the pool and got a nasty remark from a passenger that it was an adult pool. When I pointed to the sign and other passengers agreed with me, he got increasingly belligerant and called down an officer. The officer told me that I was upsetting this passenger and could I go to the Lido pool? Just based on principle, I refused, pointing to the sign and telling both the passenger and the HAL employee that if they wanted it to be an adult pool, it needed to be specified.

As a parent, I have absolutely no problem with the adult only pools. They just need to be clearly signed and then consistently enforced.

I love the adult only pools. I'm all about just doing my thing and if some kids are jumping and splashing in the pool it drives me nuts. *No one should be subject to my 'Alice Cooper' eyes when I get wet*:p. I have no problem if the kids are sitting with parents and behaving themselves but when they run around and play - like kids do, and should do, they need to be be in their own pool. I'll stay out of the kids pool if they stay out of mine :D

We've only been on 9 RCCL cruises, but the Solarioum Pool is adult only...unless there is inclement weather. A few years ago on Legend of the Seas, during a 12 day cruise of Hawaii, the pool was opened to the families, children and all. The reason was that the temperature, crossing back to Ensenada to Hawaii (in April) was so cold and the wind was so strong, no one could use the outdoor pool. The walls of the Solarium held in the heat from the sun. The pool 'experience" was pretty pathetic, even in the Solarium. The seas were so rough that the pool was sloshing out water in big crashing waves all acroos the deck. Some of the kids, such as my Grandson and Nephew, were loving it because it was like giant ocean waves. We finally got them out of the pool when it looked like they were being slammed into the sides of the pool. Other than that, I've never seen the kids allowed in the solarium area. We travel with our children and other than that one occasion, we've never been in the Solarium area. It's very pretty :p

Archived