I won a "free" lithograph at the art auction

cs4225

We were on the Golden back in May on the Coastal cruise. We went to the auction for the free, cheap, not to good tasting champagne (Same brand that our steward served us in our mini suite?). My wife entered our names for the drawing that would be awarded at the last auction. We attended that auction again for the free champagne and we completely forgot that we entered the drawing so we stayed until they picked the winners. I happen to be one of the winners. I got to choose a limited edition signed lithograph from an artist that I never heard of. I had to fill out and sign a form which said that $20.00 would be taken out of my ship account for shipping of the art piece to my home. I asked the art director what the value of the piece was and he quoted $600 to $700. I thought to myself at that time "yeah right". Because the lithograph was going to be sent unframed, the art director offered the winners a special frame offer for I think was $150. I passed. A week after we got home the artwork arrived by FEDEX. My print was numbered 1/400 and signed by the artist. I checked on the internet about the artist but she does not list the value of her art unless you email her and that the lithograph that I won is only being sold or auction on the Princess Cruise. I did some research on what a famous Hawaiian artist limited edition lithographs were selling for and it ranged from $150 to $200. We took the lithograph to a framer here in Honolulu and the art consultant (that's what they are called) was impressed that the piece was 1/400. After picking a frame, matting and glass the total cost to frame the piece was $375!!! It was painful to pull out my credit card from my wallet but I paid for it. A week later I picked it up from the framer and it really does look like $600 piece of art. It's now hanging on our wall.

I really like going to the Art Auctions...it's almost like being in an art class and I've learned alot about different artists. I'm always so thrilled when they call my number for the give-away! I won 2 pieces on my May cruise. I don't have them framed onboard. I wait until I decide if I'm giving them away. And right now, I have no more wall space!:D

Dancing Lady

We were on the Golden back in May on the Coastal cruise. We went to the auction for the free, cheap, not to good tasting champagne (Same brand that our steward served us in our mini suite?). My wife entered our names for the drawing that would be awarded at the last auction. We attended that auction again for the free champagne and we completely forgot that we entered the drawing so we stayed until they picked the winners. I happen to be one of the winners. I got to choose a limited edition signed lithograph from an artist that I never heard of. I had to fill out and sign a form which said that $20.00 would be taken out of my ship account for shipping of the art piece to my home. I asked the art director what the value of the piece was and he quoted $600 to $700. I thought to myself at that time "yeah right". Because the lithograph was going to be sent unframed, the art director offered the winners a special frame offer for I think was $150. I passed. A week after we got home the artwork arrived by FEDEX. My print was numbered 1/400 and signed by the artist. I checked on the internet about the artist but she does not list the value of her art unless you email her and that the lithograph that I won is only being sold or auction on the Princess Cruise. I did some research on what a famous Hawaiian artist limited edition lithographs were selling for and it ranged from $150 to $200. We took the lithograph to a framer here in Honolulu and the art consultant (that's what they are called) was impressed that the piece was 1/400. After picking a frame, matting and glass the total cost to frame the piece was $375!!! It was painful to pull out my credit card from my wallet but I paid for it. A week later I picked it up from the framer and it really does look like $600 piece of art. It's now hanging on our wall.

Enjoyed your story. I won a trivia contest on Carnival and picked out a limited edition

photo of two people dressed for Carnevale in Venice, standing in the doorway of the Basilica. It is a beautiful picture, have never seen one even similar. It cost me $8 for

shipping, and my local framer charged me $100, and offered to buy it for $300. I have

gotten many compliments on it, but the greatest value to me is my own enjoyment.

We both came out ahead in the art auction business!!!

I also won a lithograph on my last cruise and it did not match my decor but I was able to give it to somebody (a fellow CC friend) who loved it. I asked if they had one I could carry off and they did so I avoided the fedex charge and it truely was free!

We always attend and enjoy the art auctions. Have bought a couple of pieces over the years. We also won a print. Paid the $20 shipping knowing it probably cost them a fraction of that. Don't begrudge Princess for making a little profit where they can.

We've "won" several over the past few years. I'm looking at a great looking cat picture in my kitchen right now. We went ahead and had Princess frame our prints. They ended up costing around $250 for the matting and framing (I think).

It's really worked out well since we were in a new house and had these to hang. I love going to the auctions and watching the people. Sometimes the money that is spent is phenomenal. I just wonder if they have buyer's regret when they get home and have to pay the bills!

We have a closet full of free artwork from Princess. The nice thing is anytime anyone ask me for a donation for a raffle, I hand them a Princess tube. I have let my SIL go through it and pick out anything she wants. I think I have 15-20 mailing tubes and boxes. It has become a joke for us, we try to guess how many "free" pieces of art we will bring home.

We have always attended the art auctions and have also won several pieces of art. We have learned over the years that if we don't like the piece being offered, we simply walk away. We do have two beautiful pieces of art that we won, had framed here at home (yes, spent tons framing them!). But we love these pieces and they have brought us great pleasure looking at them.

We have always attended the art auctions and have also won several pieces of art. We have learned over the years that if we don't like the piece being offered, we simply walk away. We do have two beautiful pieces of art that we won, had framed here at home (yes, spent tons framing them!). But we love these pieces and they have brought us great pleasure looking at them.

And that is all that matters.:D

Mike:)

When we've gone to the auctions, I've often wondered if some of the buyers were "planted" by Park West. :confused: Here are my two reasons for thinking this:

Last year, a couple in front of us spent well over $25,000. I find it very hard to believe that people would spend that much for art while on a cruise. I would think that if they were serious art buyers, they'd buy at home from a trusted art dealer.

Another time, two different couples bid on over 10 pieces of art each. We have a very large house and even so, we could not hang that many pieces of art unless we got rid of everything we already have (or liked to have a really cluttered house!).

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

When we've gone to the auctions, I've often wondered if some of the buyers were "planted" by Park West. :confused: Here are my two reasons for thinking this:

Last year, a couple in front of us spent well over $25,000. I find it very hard to believe that people would spend that much for art while on a cruise. I would think that if they were serious art buyers, they'd buy at home from a trusted art dealer.

Another time, two different couples bid on over 10 pieces of art each. We have a very large house and even so, we could not hang that many pieces of art unless we got rid of everything we already have (or liked to have a really cluttered house!).

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

You have some very wealthy people on board at those auctions. They may be buying for themselves or for a business or to give as gifts or second homes to furnish. Sometimes they don't do too well selling at the auctions but other times they do.

We also won once and the pictures we had to choose from were really not to our taste. But the one I chose looks nice in my son's house. They wouldn't let us carry the picture off the ship so were required to spend the $20, which to me doesn't make it "Free". I got a good deal taking it to AC Moore at home to get framed and it actually looked pretty decent when it was finished.

Well, since it's Princess, it wouldn't be a plant from Park West.

The way Princess does their auctions, I'm not overly convinced they'd gain enough to make it worth putting a plant in. The limited editions they never go more than a few bids anyways, and I've seldom seen much bidding for an original (although I've heard that when they have the artists on they can get more).

I did watch one woman on a cruise drop a fair amount in the auction. I did talk with her some, and she did seem fairly knowledgeable, and apparently did this a fair amount (she had several tales of meeting some of the artists on some cruises). I kinda got the impression she was buying stuff to put on walls of her business. She's the only person I've really seen spending that kind of money, and I definitely didn't get the plant vibe from her.

Still trying to figure out how to frame the chart from my Amazon cruise. It's really pretty big, I have a feeling it's going to cost a fortune.

Had a similar experience on RCL (Parkwest Galeries); We won a drawing for a print worth "$600". DW was very excited. It cost us $35 for shipping & handling and it showed up at our house. I did an ebay search and discovered this print was going for about $35. We got a good $35 laugh, and count it among our many unique cruise experiences. Heck, it was far less $$$ than a shore excursion.

So, based on the OP's experience, it sounds like the $150 framing offer from Princess was reasonable...

Does the $150 framing price include shipping of the now bigger item or is that extra?

If you buy the framing, does the $20 shipping charge still apply?

Correct, it wouldn't be Park West. We've purchased many pieces from Princess, some of them easily in five figures and have seen other passengers spend far more than that. (One guy spent more than $100K) I'd be shocked if they used a shill, in fact there's almost never any serious competition on one of a kind pieces. We've had all of our purchases, including a few "freebies", framed by Princess (it's really Global Fine Arts) and we've never, ever been disappointed. You can't get stuff framed on land as cheaply as they can do it. The parent company, Carnival Cruise Lines, has unbelievable purchasing power. Their shipping on framed pieces is also pretty fair, to my way of thinking, and when they arrive, they're packed like the proverbial masonry scatologic dwelling. s

It's so refreshing to see a thread that's actually positive towards the art auctions.

I bought a bunch of art on my last RCI cruise, from Park West. I bought NINE things :eek: I didn't have that much room on my walls but it was an opportunity to take down some old stuff that's been on my wall since college :rolleyes: and replace it with some nice pieces. I bought five that came framed, and four that were unframed (took the three big ones to Michaels for framing). I absolutely LOVE all of them, and I spent low four figures total, for all nine. :)

I'm actually still waiting for one piece. It's gone beyond the time limit for shipping but I called Park West and they apparently had a problem with some of the frames not arriving, so their frame shop was behind. I will follow up again next week but I have no reason to worry. Everything else arrived in perfect condition.

We've had all of our purchases, including a few "freebies", framed by Princess (it's really Global Fine Arts) and we've never, ever been disappointed. You can't get stuff framed on land as cheaply as they can do it. The parent company, Carnival Cruise Lines, has unbelievable purchasing power. Their shipping on framed pieces is also pretty fair, to my way of thinking, and when they arrive, they're packed like the proverbial masonry scatologic dwelling. s

Their pricing isn't too bad (although I have no idea what type of glass they're using on pieces that require it), but quite frankly I think the selection of frames they offer suck. I find a lot of them to be pretty gaudy. I've found I'd rather just wait and frame it at a local place I have good luck with. Costs a little more, but I'm happier with the selection. Of course I have a few pieces still in the tube that haven't been framed yet though :).

Could be worse, I had a print of a picture of a little blue heron I took once that I really liked framed. Print was a couple of bucks, framing was about $80 :). At that point, it was what I felt one of the best pictures I've ever taken (although now I actually have a couple bird pictures I'd probably rate higher).

Forgive me if I look stupid here, but what is a lithograph?

I think it would be great to show off the art you won on a Princess ship if you have it on your computer. The cat picture is beautiful.

What do you mean by "too gaudy?" If you are referring to a fancy gold frame, I want the Princess selections.

I never participated in an auction because my mom said I would have to pay my bid, so auctioned items are not really free. If that is not true for Princess auctions I am all for it and might put in a bid.

Archived