Have breads and desserts gotten any better?

Breezey

We are on the Celebrity Infinity 2 years ago. While we love Celebrity and have booked a cruise for December 2011 on the Century, I must say we were quite disappointed in the the breads and desserts. Not just choice but actual quality.

Just curious, if anyone agrees with me and if they have improved?

I've never been crazy about the desserts, but I think the breads are generally delicious, especially the dark breads, the seeded rolls and the breadsticks served in the MDR.

I was told by a cookbook author once that Americans' taste for desserts have a sweeter "set point" than Europeans -- thus many desserts often don't taste sweet enough for us. Look at Sacher Torte as an example. Or strudel. Or panna cotta. Compared to an American style brownie, they aren't very sweet.

That being said, the creme caramel is usually delicious, as are the ice creams and sherbets. And you can always order a cheese plate for dessert.

We are on the Celebrity Infinity 2 years ago. While we love Celebrity and have booked a cruise for December 2011 on the Century, I must say we were quite disappointed in the the breads and desserts. Not just choice but actual quality.

Just curious, if anyone agrees with me and if they have improved?

Food is always such a subjective topic;). I know many people think

the desserts are bland. And as for the bread? I LOVE the breadsticks:D

They have always tasted delicious to me:) Desserts? I normally find

something that pleases my pallet:)

But I must say, I have read plenty of posts over the years from other

folks who feel as you do.

I guess we all like different things:)

The breads are our downfall on cruises. The breadsticks are out of this world in the MDR and are very addicting. We aren't too fond of the desserts, though, with the exception of the cookies (and ice cream of course). We find that a lot of them have a "squishy" consistency. On our galley tour, we asked the pastry chef and he said they have to make "light" desserts because the food is so heavy. I guess that makes sense when you think about it.;)

The breads are our downfall on cruises. The breadsticks are out of this world in the MDR and are very addicting. We aren't too fond of the desserts, though, with the exception of the cookies (and ice cream of course). We find that a lot of them have a "squishy" consistency. On our galley tour, we asked the pastry chef and he said they have to make "light" desserts because the food is so heavy. I guess that makes sense when you think about it.;)

Tally, I agree with you about the consistency of the desserts. I find nothing to enjoy in the bland, sponge-y desserts that are so frequently offered. They look so good, but are usually so disappointing. I do better at the afternoon tea where they have lemon tarts and cookies. :p

As far as providing "light" desserts, that would be a worthy idea if the desserts were tasty and of a pleasing consistency. Maybe I should send JVS some of my recipes!

Generally, I prefer American desserts to European desserts. IMHO, European desserts often look better than they taste...flour-y and bland...there just isn't much FLAVOUR, and I'm not talking here about the degree of sweetness. I don't like anything that is too sweet either. Given that most of the sailings I have been on have a large majority of North American passengers, and as there are often SO many complaints about the tastelessness of the desserts (except for the creme brulee), I think some revision to the selection of dessert offerings is indicated.

Tally, I agree with you about the consistency of the desserts. I find nothing to enjoy in the bland, sponge-y desserts that are so frequently offered. They look so good, but are usually so disappointing. I do better at the afternoon tea where they have lemon tarts and cookies. :p

As far as providing "light" desserts, that would be a worthy idea if the desserts were tasty and of a pleasing consistency. Maybe I should send JVS some of my recipes!

Generally, I prefer American desserts to European desserts. IMHO, European desserts often look better than they taste...flour-y and bland...there just isn't much FLAVOUR, and I'm not talking here about the degree of sweetness. I don't like anything that is too sweet either. Given that most of the sailings I have been on have a large majority of North American passengers, and as there are often SO many complaints about the tastelessness of the desserts (except for the creme brulee), I think some revision to the selection of dessert offerings is indicated.

It's nice to find someone who feels the same about the desserts as we do. The desserts are very nicely presented but usually lack a lot of taste (except for the creme brulee as you mentioned). I will have to try the lemon tarts on our next cruise but the cookies and ice cream win every time. If only we could get away from those bread sticks-lol!

So its not only me. Some of you did ou confirm that they look nice but pretty tasteless. Having a European background myself, if they were that level would have no problem. And yes the creme brulee and some of the ice creams are a good choice.

Actually the best desserts we found on our last Celebrity cruise were in the Aqua Spa area. Some really yummy desserts for sure especially their tarts. Their salads and lunch offerings were much more preferable than the regular buffet so we went their often. Breads were fresh and tasty there too. Highly recommended.

Not that I need any of the desserts or breads but hey, it's nice to see that it's not just me. Think I will take the cruise anyway. LOL

I was very happy with the breads and desserts on Equinox earlier this month. I had to force myself to not eat more than 2-3 pieces of bread so I didn't fill up. The pesto and hummus spreads were nice too.

I am not normally a big dessert eater and on past cruises have tended to order sorbet or have the waiter set aside an appetizer to bring to me while others have dessert. On my last cruise most nights I actually found a dessert item that appealed to me and they generally turned out to be quite tasty.

I've never been crazy about the desserts, but I think the breads are generally delicious, especially the dark breads, the seeded rolls and the breadsticks served in the MDR.

I was told by a cookbook author once that Americans' taste for desserts have a sweeter "set point" than Europeans -- thus many desserts often don't taste sweet enough for us. Look at Sacher Torte as an example. Or strudel. Or panna cotta. Compared to an American style brownie, they aren't very sweet.

That being said, the creme caramel is usually delicious, as are the ice creams and sherbets. And you can always order a cheese plate for dessert.

lol true and we have very bad diabetes in this country too!

Creme Brulee (never had RC but just in general) is too sweet for me and I am a southern man who can finnish a box of debbies in 4 minutes! However when I visited Barcelona I loved their deserts, didnt find them bland. My wife and I had Creme Brulee on a different cruis line and boy let me tell you we had headaches it was so sweet and we only took 2 or 3 bites! just not for us. I love pure maple candy so sweet cannot be the issue, it must be how its prepared plus the sweet or somthng.

Creme Brulee (never had RC but just in general) is too sweet for me and I am a southern man who can finnish a box of debbies in 4 minutes! However when I visited Barcelona I loved their deserts, didnt find them bland. My wife and I had Creme Brulee on a different cruis line and boy let me tell you we had headaches it was so sweet and we only took 2 or 3 bites! just not for us. I love pure maple candy so sweet cannot be the issue, it must be how its prepared plus the sweet or somthng.

A box of debbie's? You mean Lil Debbie's?:D.....haven't had one of those

in a while! Or is this another type of cake?

No complaints from me about either bread or desserts - and I love my carbs. The baguette in Blu was so delicious I asked our waiter to bring me a full basket (and he obliged!). I found the desserts tasty - but honestly, didn't really need or want too much after a multi-course meal anyway. I'm sure I'll find a way to pack on a few pounds on our upcoming cruise!

f91b2e22.png

This had such a rich fudge filling and the outer shell was hard chocolate...delicious.

2857247c.png

Champagne was presented in a very elegant way at each table, and the waiters wore white gloves to serve.

I was on Eclipse last week and took advantage of the new Champagne High Tea offered in Murano. If you have a sweet tooth, they had a nice selection to satisfy your taste buds. The chefs came to our table and were very pleased with all the freshly made treats that were being tested by the passengers. There is an upcharge of $20, but I'm guessing a nice glass of champagne can be a little costly, so felt the fee was well worth it. They had a nice selection of leaf tea, and brewed a single large pot for each guest. They even ordered new china service for the high tea. Wish I had better pictures, but we began eating before anyone took the time to take any photos. The little sandwiches...I'm not much of a white bread person, but the fillings were tasty.

3b627929.png

aeb1c753.png

Also, don't forget about the complimentary elegant tea offered one afternoon in the main dining room...those sweets are a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach.

Happy cruising...Joanne

For us Europeans, American desserts in general are way too sweet. Also Russian desserts are so sweet, it almost hurts!:eek:

It is just a difference in taste.

I guess you have never had the Austrian specialty Salzberger Nocken. It was so sweet it made my teeth hurt!

Personally, I love the desserts and pastries on X, from plain croissants, to crepes, creme brulee, tortes, and breads. Highlights? Olive rolls and breadsticks in the MDR!! Besides, anything I don't have to make myself always tastes just that much better!

I just got off the Millie earlier this week and I felt the desserts were one of the areas Celebrity excelled at over other cruise lines I've been on.

It helps to select properly though.

I just got off the Millie earlier this week and I felt the desserts were one of the areas Celebrity excelled at over other cruise lines I've been on.

It helps to select properly though.

Any tips for selections? I'm on Millie in a couple of weeks.

Any tips for selections? I'm on Millie in a couple of weeks.

I found most anything with chocolate in it to be delicious. They seem to do cheesecakes well also. I didn't care for the apple pie but they do have a fair crust.

Ice cream is generally very good. I like their style of bread pudding on the buffet although it is not quite traditional bread pudding, more like custard.

I also thought the bread was okay. Certainly not bad.

We also very much enjoyed the bread. Especially the bread sticks with the flower shaped butter :) and the pesto. Desserts were good, but not always great. And some of the desserts in the buffet were quite nasty at lunch. The lemon tarts are to die for!! They were offering them at tea time ( by the way the tea time pastries and sandwiches are lovely) I took a few back to my balcony and just sat there! Pure heaven!! Of course the morning pastries , ice cream, and creme brûlée are tasty too!

Archived