Sistine Chapel

tech40

If you are not part of a tour or with a tour guide can you spend as much time in the Sistine Chapel as you wish ?

Likely so...someone will comment, but I would say this...

It is not a large room compared to other sites at the Vatican and...it will be dark. Minimal illumination to minimized fading of the frescos. It will also, likely, be very crowded, with and LOT of shushing by the security guys.

While I enjoyed it, I was surprised that the art by Michaelangelo of Adam's Creation was really quite tiny and about 40-50' above the floor. I wished for a strong light and binoculars.

IMO, you can enjoy the frescos more in the pages of the National Geographic or other art publication than in a public visit to the Sistine Chapel.

It is not a large room compared to other sites at the Vatican and...it will be dark. Minimal illumination to minimized fading of the frescos. It will also, likely, be very crowded, with and LOT of shushing by the security guys.

While I enjoyed it, I was surprised that the art by Michaelangelo of Adam's Creation was really quite tiny and about 40-50' above the floor. I wished for a strong light and binoculars.

IMO, you can enjoy the frescos more in the pages of the National Geographic or other art publication than in a public visit to the Sistine Chapel.

Yes you can stay as long as you like but some good observations by Thinfool. It is a surprisingly small room, very very full and the guards do in fact ask for quiet and telling people "No pictures". It is a very moving place but I would love to see it with half the people.

Kirk

I personally would opt to spend more time in St. Peter's Basilica and the grottoes below. The Sistine Chapel is wonderful, but I can't see spending more than 30 minutes there. Both times that we have been to the Vatican on a cruise, there never seemed to be enough time to see everything in the Basilica and it is so wonderful and so beautiful. You can also take as many pictures as you wish, because all the artwork is marble and not paintings. Absolutely amazing!

I can confirm, standing room only the two times I've been there, think it was like almost a crowded elevator, LOL. There are some seats around the edges but if you sit down you can't see beyond the persons back standing right infront of you :mad:

The fresco's sure don't look faded these days, almost too bright almost like someone turned up the contrast and saturation.

Wonderful and amazing that anyone can paint something so expansive at his age.

Did sneak a few pictures here :o

1508401562_4000_RomeSistineChapel.jpg.de5ba261c67e72475651144f1b32e71d.jpg

293171169_4010_RomeSistineChapel.jpg.64c8b7f5716780b00f07de8bdcbd5eab.jpg

The fresco's sure don't look faded these days, almost too bright almost like someone turned up the contrast and saturation.

The restoration that was completed about a decade ago removed centuries of grime.

I don't care how crowded it was (and it was), I could have stood there for far longer than we had time to on our tour. It's certainly nothing like looking at reproductions in a book. Speaking just for myself, of course.

While it WAS crowded, people KEPT talking, and the guards KEPT shushing it was still a very touching experience for me.

I am not particularly religeous (more spiritual) but this chapel was truly moving in that it was a labor of love done by a truly remarkable artist.

I could see how some people would want to spend a good portion of time there........ and you can stay as long as you like :D

I was at the Sistine Chapel yesterday. It was amazingly crowded for February. What was even more amazing, was one of the guards told our guide that he didn't care what anyone did as long as they didn't do it in front of him. The guards were totally ignoring the many, many people taking flash pictures and talking. No idea what was going on, as I've never seen that allowed there.

Would add we hired a guide for just our family, and got so much more from the experience by doing this.

I was at the Sistine Chapel yesterday. It was amazingly crowded for February. What was even more amazing, was one of the guards told our guide that he didn't care what anyone did as long as they didn't do it in front of him. The guards were totally ignoring the many, many people taking flash pictures and talking. No idea what was going on, as I've never seen that allowed there.

Would add we hired a guide for just our family, and got so much more from the experience by doing this.

Would you mind telling me which company you used to find your guide ?

I just read the book Sistine Secrets and I am interested in finding some of the so called hidden messages and not worry about being rushed out of there.

If you are not part of a tour or with a tour guide can you spend as much time in the Sistine Chapel as you wish ?

I am so glad that you asked the question. The last time we went with a guide, we were in and out before I got a good look. Going solo this trip.

The noise and flash photography is so annoying, especially so since we are asked not to. :mad:

Did sneak a few pictures here :o

Did you use a flash? :eek:

I cannot remember, are photos allowed without a flash, like they are in the museum?

I may take a small pair of binoculars if allowed. I'll have to look at the "hidden secrets" book before going. :)

We used Angel Tours for our private guide. Just the guide, dh and myself. Got way more out of our day this way. She was awesome - so much more than dates and names....... lots of interesting stories and stuff.

Now about photos...... the restoration that started in 1984 was financed by Nippon Television Network. By paying for the restoration (millions $$) they got an agreement that no photos were to be taken in the chapel. You can, however, purchase a beautiful book of photos outside sold by ...... you guessed it - Nippon...... (one of the tidbits from our guide)

When we were there the guards were pretty strict about photos. We saw them physically stop people by putting their hand over the lens, pushing the camera downward (not forcibly) and always the sssshhh. People need to realize this is still a church and be respectful of that.

Didnt see anything about not using binoculars.

I thought so.;)

I didn't attempt to even take photos, but people all around were.:rolleyes: In fact, I didn't take photos in the museum, but I did take video there. I assume that video is out for the chapel. Seems that Ron Howard's group got in trouble for video taping in there when filming for his Dan Brown movies.

It's been a long time since I was in the Sistine Chapel. Can you use small binoculars? I can't remember if they were allowed or not. I do remember getting some photos years ago of the more famous scenes. I understand now photos are hit or miss according to how vigilent the guards are.

When we visited the guards were clear that photography and talking was not permitted. After all, the Sistine Chapel is a church. I found it interesting that photography was not prohibited in any other church that we visited in Rome. They packed people in and kept encouraging people to move along and leave so others could enter the chapel. Instead, people just meandered about, some just sat down in the middle fo the floor looking up at the ceilings. I think the problem is that there are no furnishings to remind patrons that they're in a chapel. The shooshing from the guards was more distubing than the other peoples whispering. Just about every inch of wall and ceiling were beautifully covered. I don't think anyone can take it all in with less than 30 mins. Although taking photos are prohibited, binoculars are fine. However, lots of people took photos and video anyway.

Would you mind telling me which company you used to find your guide ?

I just read the book Sistine Secrets and I am interested in finding some of the so called hidden messages and not worry about being rushed out of there.

We used Sonia Tavoletta; her email address is soniatav@Alice.it. She is a licensed guide and charges 50 Euro an hour, which is a great price. I highly recommend her. She listened to what we were interested in, and everyone learned something new and had a great time, even the hard-to-please teens.

It was / is still a subject of debate as did the restoration go to far.

IMHO its stunning, but no one will really knows how bright the artist really wanted it. My guess it was really this bright as the guy was smart enough to know we didn't have bright lights, only candles :D

The restoration that was completed about a decade ago removed centuries of grime.

I don't care how crowded it was (and it was), I could have stood there for far longer than we had time to on our tour. It's certainly nothing like looking at reproductions in a book. Speaking just for myself, of course.

It's been a long time since I was in the Sistine Chapel. Can you use small binoculars? I can't remember if they were allowed or not. I do remember getting some photos years ago of the more famous scenes. I understand now photos are hit or miss according to how vigilent the guards are.

We used binoculars, they made a huge difference! Just try not to have super strong ones. I was a little worried at first, afraid the guards would think I was trying to take a video or photo, but it wasn't a problem.

PS: the binoculars are great just about everywhere in Rome.

That was really interesting. I looked at it using my Rick Steves audio guide of the Sistine which I downloaded from his travel site. I think that has really helped to explain what the ceiling is all about so that when I see it I will understand what I am looking at.

Archived