laundrette location

sho

I paid $6 for self-serve laundry on Carnival. I don't need my t-shirts and undies "dry cleaned." I don't think that $25 for a single load of laundry is reasonable. I do think this is too bad, for those who prefer to pack light, are doing a B2B, traveling with kids, etc. I would prefer to have the option of doing my own laundry.

I do think this is too bad, for those who prefer to pack light, are doing a B2B, traveling with kids, etc. I would prefer to have the option of doing my own laundry.

Whether the prices are "reasonable" or not, I'm with you: I like options. Some clothing items are just fine going through industrial-strength washers and dryers; others aren't. On longer vacations, it's really great to have the option of running a load or two--and choosing the temperature and other settings myself. :)

When I sail on Princess or Carnival, my packing process is a lot simpler for that very reason. If I want to wear my favorite blouse or sundress twice, no problem ... I don't have to worry about it not being fresh the second time around. Sometimes I use the laundry facilities, sometimes I have it done, sometimes I don't need to do either. It's just nice to know that all of the options are there.

I realize that many people get up in arms at the idea of doing laundry on vacation. Fortunately, nobody would be forcing them to do so. ;) But many of us would like to have that possibility--it's one of the biggest things I miss when I sail with RCI and X.

Many of us would disagree with you but if you start with the premise that everything that RCI does or charges is unreasonable I am sure you can find things to back up your position. Check out a recent thread which compared drink prices at land based restaurants and resorts with the prices charged onboard the ship. Compare drycleaning prices at home with the charges on RCI, and compare the value of a Broadway style show such as Hairspray or Chicago, with what you would pay for a similar show at a theater in a US city, let alone on Broadway.

AGREE :D

Reminds me of my father ... he is still comparing prices to YEARS ago. ;) (It makes grocery shopping with him so much fun! LOL!!!)

I agree with those posters who have said it is vacation and they are getting away from the usual household chores. I don't want to do laundry on vacation. Even for a 14 night cruise, I pack enough to not need to wash clothes. I will use the stuff a bag special for socks, underwear and T-shirts. I'd rather spend a whole day after vacation doing laundry than do it on vacation. Even when our 3 sons went with us on our first few cruises, I preferred doing laundry at home after the trip. Made the vacation seem more like a getaway from everyday life!

I paid $6 for self-serve laundry on Carnival. I don't need my t-shirts and undies "dry cleaned." I don't think that $25 for a single load of laundry is reasonable. I do think this is too bad, for those who prefer to pack light, are doing a B2B, traveling with kids, etc. I would prefer to have the option of doing my own laundry.

You have the option. You can either use your sink on RCI, or of course it´s your choice what cruiseline you cruise with. There´s plenty with self service laundry available, RCI is just not one of them.

I rarely go on any trip that is less than 3 weeks. That´s longer cruises extended by pre- / post- travels. I never use any laundry on vacation ashore or at sea and never need to do so. Just pack wise and enough stuff to last. Not a problem at all.

I also agree with those that say the laundry dry cleaning prices are reasonable. As a matter of fact I send of my dry cleaning stuff on the ship as it´s cheaper onboard than at home.

I know but she referred to deck 11 so I thought maybe she was mixed up about the name of the ship.

Are we reading ther same post in the same thread? ;) :D

OP has posted only once in this thread and s/he said:

Which is the laundrette located on deck 9, Liberty of the Seas?

Anyway, it doesn't matter and the point is moot. No self laundry. :)

Are we reading ther same post in the same thread? ;) :D

OP has posted only once in this thread and s/he said:

Anyway, it doesn't matter and the point is moot. No self laundry. :)

So sorry, you are right. For some reason I thought deck 11 was mentioned but it's my mistake. I must have been out in the sun too long.

Anyway I was just making the comment about it possibly being a different ship because I know someone who never pays attention to the name of the ship she is going on and claims she will find out when she gets there. I find this almost unbelievable but it happens.

I never dry clean anything before a cruise. I pack it and have it done on board. I think its the bargain of the century for two reasons.

#1 the clothes look better.

#2 I didnt have to put them in the car, remember to stop by dry cleaners, remember to pick up and drive home. (I live in so Calif, so the price of gas makes this more expensive than what the line charges.) On board I leave it on the bed, and it comes back. I dont have any hassle.

I never dry clean anything before a cruise. I pack it and have it done on board. I think its the bargain of the century for two reasons.

#1 the clothes look better.

#2 I didnt have to put them in the car, remember to stop by dry cleaners, remember to pick up and drive home. (I live in so Calif, so the price of gas makes this more expensive than what the line charges.) On board I leave it on the bed, and it comes back. I dont have any hassle.

My thoughts exactly!

Unfortunately for you, the only way you can exercise that option is to cruise with another line. You should, however, realize that RCI is not alone in not providing self-service laundries on their ships. Having had the unfortunate experience of seeing passengers almost come to blows because one of them was late in returning to the laundry room to remove their completed laundry or because they objected to another guest having removed the laundry from the machine, I am more than happy to pay to have this service provided to me. I can think of hundreds of better ways to spend my or my wife's vacation time than spending it doing laundry. We have cruised on longer cruises and been able to avoid airline excess baggage charges which are frequently higher than the fees charged by the cruiseline to wash our things.

negc, since the self server laundry takes about 30 min, when we are sailing on that line, then I will plan an hr or 2 to do a couple loads and wait in the room, and never walk away. I agree with you when one is trying to do theirs and a machine has stopped but nobody is around to claim theirs it is unfair to others.

Having had the unfortunate experience of seeing passengers almost come to blows because one of them was late in returning to the laundry room to remove their completed laundry or because they objected to another guest having removed the laundry from the machine,.

heck-I've read threads on RCCL passengers coming top blows over seats in the theater!!-:p some people will fight over anything!!!;)

Fighting in the laundry room is probably not reason one RCCl does not have them.;) It is much cheaper to do your own and does not take much time out of your day to do a load so I'm sure it's about paying the huge price to have them wash your jeans or the expense of now installing the facilities. I would of loved a laundry room when my family of 4 did the ATV tour-had a blast-from head to toe were covered in mud. Found out then that they do not wash sneakers!!! :(

I agree it´s mostly about the money, but I think it´s not so much about how much they can make with their laundry service. It´s the whole deal.

Part of it is they can make money from laundry service, but the bigger part would be the expenses of putting up and maintain those laundry rooms. I highly doubt these expenses are covered by the few bucks they charge you for a load of laundry. Then of course space on a ship is at a premium and instead of wasting the space with a laundry room they can easily put inside cabins in those places and add to the revenue in selling them and getting more people to spend onboard.

Sounds to me like they lose with laundry rooms and gain with not having them.

The only point that would change this is if they coulnd´t fill their ships just because of the absence of self service laundry rooms. I don´t see that happen.

I agree it´s mostly about the money, but I think it´s not so much about how much they can make with their laundry service. It´s the whole deal.

Part of it is they can make money from laundry service, but the bigger part would be the expenses of putting up and maintain those laundry rooms. I highly doubt these expenses are covered by the few bucks they charge you for a load of laundry. Then of course space on a ship is at a premium and instead of wasting the space with a laundry room they can easily put inside cabins in those places and add to the revenue in selling them and getting more people to spend onboard.

Sounds to me like they lose with laundry rooms and gain with not having them.

The only point that would change this is if they coulnd´t fill their ships just because of the absence of self service laundry rooms. I don´t see that happen.

I think you are correct and among the reasons that NCL has removed their self serve laundries and replaced them with revenue producing staterooms

are the very things you mentioned. Since RCI, Celebrity and NCL and any other lines that don't offer self serve laundries, don't seem to be having serious problems filling their ships, I doubt that you will see them reversing their position.

heck-I've read threads on RCCL passengers coming top blows over seats in the theater!!-:p some people will fight over anything!!!;)

Fighting in the laundry room is probably not reason one RCCl does not have them.;) It is much cheaper to do your own and does not take much time out of your day to do a load so I'm sure it's about paying the huge price to have them wash your jeans or the expense of now installing the facilities. I would of loved a laundry room when my family of 4 did the ATV tour-had a blast-from head to toe were covered in mud. Found out then that they do not wash sneakers!!! :(

You are right, but there seems to be something even more at play when someone is messing with another's clothes in the laundry, but I am sure that it isn't a major factor in deciding not to offer the laundry rooms. More likely it is the maintenance costs of operating those washers and driers and the fact that using that space for revenue producing staterooms makes it more profitable not to offer them.

The bathroom sink or shower should have solved your muddy sneaker problem as I suspect you found out when the laundry service couldn't help you.:)

While there may be a vocal minority who would appreciate having a self-serve laundry onboard, the number of those passengers (or potential passengers) hasn't reached the level where the corporation believes it would be worth it to change their operating philosophy. They are, when all is said and done, a "for-profit" corporation and profitability necessarily and understandably dictates their decisions.

The bathroom sink or shower should have solved your muddy sneaker problem as I suspect you found out when the laundry service couldn't help you.:)

LOl

Exactly-from the shower to the balcony air and sun. took 2 days to dry but at least i got rid of some of the Cozumel mud!!!;)

Well -- when I can get dry cleaning on board cheaper than I can get at my local cleaners, I'd say that is reasonable.

To those who have asked for it, here is a link to the price list:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/LaundryPriceList.pdf

Yes the prices are reasonable and they do a great job. We use the laundry service on every cruise. By the way, everyone does have a choice. If having laundry facilities is that important, choose a cruise line that has them. RCI doesn't and probably never will.

I'm sailing in 2 days and I haven't started packing (so I'm a bit panicky right now). Could someone tell me how big the laundry bag is for that all-you-can-fit-for-$25 wash? I'd like to get an idea how many items I could fit in it. And folks mentioned "small" items only for that bag special. What constitutes "small"? Would jeans/pants and dress shirts count? TIA!

I'm sailing in 2 days and I haven't started packing (so I'm a bit panicky right now). Could someone tell me how big the laundry bag is for that all-you-can-fit-for-$25 wash? I'd like to get an idea how many items I could fit in it. And folks mentioned "small" items only for that bag special. What constitutes "small"? Would jeans/pants and dress shirts count? TIA!

No. It is a "wash and fold" service, and includes underwear, pajamas, t-shirts, sweats. No jeans or dress shirts.

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me the rough size of the bag? Is it about the size of a standard hotel laundry/dry clean bag (the kind they clip to the hanger along with order form in a hotel closet)?

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me the rough size of the bag? Is it about the size of a standard hotel laundry/dry clean bag (the kind they clip to the hanger along with order form in a hotel closet)?

If I recall correctly, it's a little bit smaller than that, but last go round, it was also a plastic bag, so we really "stretched" it. We fit four days' worth of socks, undies, tee shirts, and nightclothes for two inside the bag.

I must remember to take a picture of the bag on my next cruise and post it here, since it generates lots of interest!

teddie

Archived