Non-Haven Guests can now Dine with Haven Guests for $25

crusinmama06

If this was in response to so many people asking for special consideration for their friends, can I ask why this was allowed to be a "problem" (if it is) in the first place. How do other cruiseline keep their suite privileges "private?" It should have been ~ if you want suite privileges ... book a suite. JMO;)

I agree. I'm booked in a Haven suite next month, and we are traveling with friends who are not going to be in a suite. I told them up front that they wouldn't be able to hang with us in the courtyard or eat with us in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I had no intention of asking NCL to allow them access to suite perks...I'm very surprised that so many people apparently do! The suite perks should be for those that paid for them...

I agree. I'm booked in a Haven suite next month, and we are traveling with friends who are not going to be in a suite. I told them up front that they wouldn't be able to hang with us in the courtyard or eat with us in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I had no intention of asking NCL to allow them access to suite perks...I'm very surprised that so many people apparently do! The suite perks should be for those that paid for them...

It usually all comes down to "well I normally wouldn't ask, but this is a special circumstance" or "our situation is different".

If this was in response to so many people asking for special consideration for their friends, can I ask why this was allowed to be a "problem" (if it is) in the first place. How do other cruiseline keep their suite privileges "private?" It should have been ~ if you want suite privileges ... book a suite. JMO;)

Absolutely....They should just say no..

And its a problem because the crew has been directed to keep the pax as happy as possible. Conflict of interest .

At least they removed the gates blocking the 4th 5th and 6th decks from coming topside.. ;)

mpk

For those people so upset over this change, please compare these two scenarios - which do you prefer?

A) Various suite guests sweet talk the staff into allowing dear old grandma, or poor sister or lovely child or favorite friend, etc to enter for FREE. This does happen and nobody really knows how many come in.

or

B) Guest wants to bring in one of the above and is told to pay the fee. Some guests no longer bother.

Which scenario results in extra people?

On the Epic - and presumably on the new builds - there are at least 75 suites that have access to the club and lounge. If each could invite 4 guests twice a week that means a possible extra 300 people a night, not including the original suite inhabitants.

This can translate into big money for NCL, but nothing but headaches for those in "The Haven".

As to which could result in bigger crowds, the pay method seems to have that possibility. While some people might talk the concierge into allowing a guest or two, I doubt it adds up to much extra traffic. But if all you need do is make a reservation the equation changes dramatically.

I don't understand it when cruise lines and other hospitality providers offer these upgrades and then want to dilute them by letting in people who did not pay for the privilege. It brings into question the sanity of those who do pay (which I think a lot of people on these boards already think is suspect)..

I think this might work.

1 - Easy for staff to point to the PAY IF YOU WANT IT choice.

2 - It is limited to the number of times each cruise.

3 - It is limited to space available - only time will tell what this really means.

4 - As to loud problem passengers. Even those that PAY can be a pain in the butt. Sometimes, people that pay all that money think it entitles them to be jerks. Hard to deal with that fact of life.

Overall, I think NCL might be on to something here.

agree!

Does anyone (but me) think that if this is successful for NCL, then it will be that anyone who wants to pay extra will be allowed "limited suite privileges" ~ private restaurant dinners, courtyard/haven access. :confused:

So people who just want to have the private restaurant and pool area can book just that, even if they're in an inside.

Actually, not a bad idea if you don't want or don't require a butler or conceirge.

Does anyone (but me) think that if this is successful for NCL, then it will be that anyone who wants to pay extra will be allowed "limited suite privileges" ~ private restaurant dinners, courtyard/haven access. :confused:

So people who just want to have the private restaurant and pool area can book just that, even if they're in an inside.

Actually, not a bad idea if you don't want or don't require a butler or conceirge.

No, I don't believe that, because of the limitations currently stated.

Don't bleed until you're shot.

Aren't they already doing something like that with POSH

From reviews, Posh is normally deserted. Here's a link on Posh: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327728

The spa passes (yay tile loungers) also are sold per day and per week, per person or per couple, with prices ranging from $30 a day (I believe) to $199-219 a couple for the week.

The sushi has also gone a la carte, which overall will result in more rolls for meeee. ;) Godzilla rolls as my appetizer for every meal sounds lovely, versus 2-3 meals of 3 rolls (around $4 a roll).

There's upcharges for better steaks and lobster tails.

No more welcome champagne when you walk on the ship. (Good with me... I'm a bourbon or port gal)

What other comparisons can you think of for limited access or a la carte pricing changes? *thinking along with you*

My math is wrong. I should have said that the changes could mean an extra 150 people a night.

Nope, 85 per night. 75 suites with 8 guests per week =600 divided by 7 nights=

about 85.

Does anyone actually believe that every suite will bring all eight guests every week? As others have said, as soon as it costs $100 for 4 guests, I think it will slow everyone down. And it says, first come first served subject to availability.

I think on most trips it will be a non event. I don't think they will "bump" a suite guest to make room for someone's guest.

Pa...?

What if them Haven/Courtyard 'elite folks' lifeboats can't be lowered in case of an emergency, do we have give up ours? No...., they are just extra 'boarders', keeping us company for a spell, and don't you worry they'll be doing the rowing.

So, listen up kids, mind your manners - we got us some real fine company coming. ( Do we HAVE to Pa???? :( ) Now.., now, now, none of that! Remember those fine folks "let us eat" in their fancy dining room, remember? Yes Pa...:rolleyes:

Oh bloody heck , we must now dine with the great unwashed masses .. Is nothing sacred any longer .

:p

From reviews, Posh is normally deserted. Here's a link on Posh: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327728

The spa passes (yay tile loungers) also are sold per day and per week, per person or per couple, with prices ranging from $30 a day (I believe) to $199-219 a couple for the week.

The sushi has also gone a la carte, which overall will result in more rolls for meeee. ;) Godzilla rolls as my appetizer for every meal sounds lovely, versus 2-3 meals of 3 rolls (around $4 a roll).

There's upcharges for better steaks and lobster tails.

No more welcome champagne when you walk on the ship. (Good with me... I'm a bourbon or port gal)

What other comparisons can you think of for limited access or a la carte pricing changes? *thinking along with you*

Posh is only deserted at night. Sea days are packed and sold out.

If I am staying at the Haven and I arrive for dinner and the dining room is filled up with "un-suited guests", will I recieve a $25 pp cruise credit?

Hey, why wait until it happens. NCL should refund and drop the price of current and future Suite cabins, by lets say $200 per person to cover any potential inconvenience that might be encountered.

Fairs fair.

che, you did not question me, jack did. You were just trying to find another published source. I understand. ;) I said in the 2nd post that I received an email from NCL Agent news.

I am guessing that NCL released it as a new policy to their "Travel Partners" on Saturday and may release it to the public this week. I don't know, I don't run their marketing department. But hey, I am always open to job offers. :D

che, you did not question me, jack did. You were just trying to find another published source. I understand. ;) I said in the 2nd post that I received an email from NCL Agent news.

I am guessing that NCL released it as a new policy to their "Travel Partners" on Saturday and may release it to the public this week. I don't know, I don't run their marketing department. But hey, I am always open to job offers. :D

LOL sorry cruisinmama I wan't trying to find "another" public source, I did miss post #7, thanks for pointing that out. Had I seen that originally it would have saved me the search :D :D. As yes I would have believed you when you said you received this.

Kind of silly though that they would put an implementation date prior to letting the public and/or their travel partners know.

BTW I think they should offer you the job and pay you very handsomely for doing it JMO ;) :D

I am a first time cruiser on NCL, and have booked a 2 bedroom CV for our trip in December. I specfically booked a room in the Courtyard because I was willing to pay for a more "private" and hopefully less crowded experience. My initial reaction to this is negative--I see it as potentially dimishing the experience I had paid for---more crowded conditions. Having never sailed with NCL before, I may be off base, but if it were up to me, I would not make this access available. We will give it a go, and worse comes to worse, we won't sail NCL again, or won't pay a premium for a CV cabin.

I am a first time cruiser on NCL, and have booked a 2 bedroom CV for our trip in December. I specfically booked a room in the Courtyard because I was willing to pay for a more "private" and hopefully less crowded experience. My initial reaction to this is negative--I see it as potentially dimishing the experience I had paid for---more crowded conditions. Having never sailed with NCL before, I may be off base, but if it were up to me, I would not make this access available. We will give it a go, and worse comes to worse, we won't sail NCL again, or won't pay a premium for a CV cabin.

Since this was implemented on the 18th it will be interesting to hear the take of those suite guests than are on the ship now. Whether or not this impacted them in any way.

It will be interesting to see the difference between our Epic sailing in February, and again in two months.

Fingers crossed!

Tom

Since this was implemented on the 18th it will be interesting to hear the take of those suite guests than are on the ship now. Whether or not this impacted them in any way.

The other thing that irks me is that (in my case) this change was implemented after our final payment--and I do not like how NCL is changing the rules in the middle of the game. I am sure they are legally able to make changes in the terms of the passage, but I think its not right. In a perfect world,bthey would not make any changes like this for any cruises where people have made their final payment. I am hopeful that I am wasting my energy on this---I am really looking forwrd to our cruise, the cabin, the NCL experience--- so many positive things said on here about NCL---with luck this is a non issue.

Archived