Hotels at San Pedro pier?

watergal

We're sailing to Hawaii from LAX and wondered about hotels that are popular and reasonable at the pier. As we'd be coming in the day before the cruise, would like some shopping amenities and a restaurant or two nearby. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

We have stayed at the Crown Plaza before. Nice hotel, close to the pier and places to eat. Be careful if you book it though Priceline since they will try and give you a smoking room or something like that. The other hotel near the pier is the Doubletree which is a little further away. Have never stayed there before, but have seen some decent reviews on the boards.

Tim

We're sailing to Hawaii from LAX and wondered about hotels that are popular and reasonable at the pier. As we'd be coming in the day before the cruise, would like some shopping amenities and a restaurant or two nearby. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Crown Plaza or the Double Tree (I think it is) are your 2 best bets. We booked via Princeline and got the Crown for about $75 a night, when the price would have been $140.00. It is the only time we have used Priceline and been happy.

NIta

Seriously if you could manage staying in Long Beach which is about 7miles south of San Pedro you would have a world of difference in choices of hotels (Westin, Hilton, Renaissance Suites) and a great downtown area filled with great restaurants. The Westin shuttled us to the pier which took no more than 10minutes on a Saturday morning. San Pedro is closer yes, but its very tired and sad.

Seriously if you could manage staying in Long Beach which is about 7miles south of San Pedro you would have a world of difference in choices of hotels (Westin, Hilton, Renaissance Suites) and a great downtown area filled with great restaurants. The Westin shuttled us to the pier which took no more than 10minutes on a Saturday morning. San Pedro is closer yes, but its very tired and sad.

For those of us who drive to the Port of LA, do any LB hotels offer hotel & parking packages?

The Crowne Plaza & Doubletree in SP offer 14 days of free parking packages which is a slightly more than the cost to just park at the pier. Shuttles to & from the pier get crowded which would be another advantage to staying in SP. It's nice in LB but for a pre-cruise overnight stay it's a longer drive & thus probably a longer shuttle to & from the pier. Being in SP with our car, my wife dropped me & luggage at pier then parked at the hotel to take the shuttle which we did in reverse order after the cruise.

When you book your hotel, make sure you don't book a "LAX" one. Those aren't anywhere near the port of LA which is in San Pedro. The hotels mentioned below are in SP. Some people may decide to stay in Long Beach instead (find Bruin Steve's posts in which he gives advice on which ones to consider and which ones to avoid) or Santa Monica (a bit more money, but really nice hotels).

We have stayed at the Crown Plaza before. Nice hotel, close to the pier and places to eat. Be careful if you book it though Priceline since they will try and give you a smoking room or something like that. The other hotel near the pier is the Doubletree which is a little further away. Have never stayed there before, but have seen some decent reviews on the boards.

Tim

On our last trip in April I called the Crowne Plaza prior to our arrival to ask for a non-smoking room. I was told the entire hotel is now non-smoking. Our room was great, with a view of the ships and there were several restaurants nearby. We walked around the hotel too and felt very safe.

Book now~~~~I have been trying to book for Feb and April 2012 and many of the hotels are booked.

I was able to get 2 rooms at the CP on Priceline, but not all that cheap.

And, they said breakfast is NOT included. :confused:

Pat

That is correct. Crowne Plaza does not include breakfast, though sometimes they do give you this perk if you're a Priority Club member.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about trying Priceline for hotel in San Pedro for pre-cruise. Hoping for Crown Plaza or Doubletree. Arriving late PM on Friday so looking for comfortable, safe room with shuttle to Pier. Continental BF would be great but, not necessary. Suggestions on how to proceed would be helpful.

We have "won" the Crowne Plaza San Pedro the last 2 times we bid. I believe you bid on 3 1/2* hotels -- our trip next May is 2 nights at $65 a night (plus taxes). They DO NOT have a continental breakfast ... but there was a "diner" type (ex: Denny's) restaurant less than a block away that was quite good --- and VERY reasonable.

If you have never used Priceline before, you might want to read the instructions/reviews/comments at http://www.betterbidding.com.

We have "won" the Crowne Plaza San Pedro the last 2 times we bid. I believe you bid on 3 1/2* hotels -- our trip next May is 2 nights at $65 a night (plus taxes). They DO NOT have a continental breakfast ... but there was a "diner" type (ex: Denny's) restaurant less than a block away that was quite good --- and VERY reasonable.

If you have never used Priceline before, you might want to read the instructions/reviews/comments at www.betterbidding.com.

Thank you for the advise. That price sounds great. :D

Has anyone eaten at the Crown Plaza restaurent? For dinner or breakfast.?

If breakfast is this a help yourself buffet or a la carte? Ball park figure on brice would be a plus.

Usually I stay in Santa Monica, at the Freemont, room is very expensive $400 for a regular room for one night for one person, and the restaurent price for breakfast was $40 for one , this time I have chosen to book Crown Plaza, though my agent did not advise this but I have gone with the advice on this site.

Total for Exex. car from LAX and room at Crown was about $150 less than just a room at the Freemont.

We paid $208 for a (non-smoking) suite with a harbor view @ the Crowne Plaza. There are 3 of us, so Priceline isn't the best option. I'm envious of the rates folks get on Priceline, but looking forward to "watching our ship come in".

I don't get it--how is $208 better than $65????

Archived