Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Could we please not judge those cruiselines others enjoy? To judge/mock the cruiseline is to judge/mock the cruisers. Carnival has cleaned up its act in the past year, enforcing a "no chair hogging" policy and keeping the adult areas free from kids. As you can see, we sail on Carnival exclusively and I feel I have a pretty good idea of what goes on aboard the ships. I do want to cruise other lines, particularly HAL and Princess, but Carnival will always be our "go-to" line for a quick and inexpensive get-away.

I am excited to wear my new eggplant cocktail dress and new shoes on my next cruise. I'll post a picture after we return!

I apologize, it wasn't my intention to judge anyone... but I was on the Dream on December 15-22, and there were chair hogs every day and the towel policy is not enforced, so they clearly have not cleaned up their act as of week before last!! Nor do the enforce the dress code on formal nights, which didn't bother me...just sayin!! :o

Could we please not judge those cruiselines others enjoy? To judge/mock the cruiseline is to judge/mock the cruisers. Carnival has cleaned up its act in the past year, enforcing a "no chair hogging" policy and keeping the adult areas free from kids. As you can see, we sail on Carnival exclusively and I feel I have a pretty good idea of what goes on aboard the ships. I do want to cruise other lines, particularly HAL and Princess, but Carnival will always be our "go-to" line for a quick and inexpensive get-away.

I am excited to wear my new eggplant cocktail dress and new shoes on my next cruise. I'll post a picture after we return!

I am not judging or mocking....just my experience on Carnival. I haven't sailed on Carnival since Nov 2011 and won't. I DO NOT find it inexpensive at all with me going solo. It is ALWAYS double, no matter when I look at booking it. That, along with the bad customer service, the food, the drunks and the attitude of some of the passengers is what stops me from even looking at Carnival any more....I have a friend who absolutely LOVES Carnival and has sailed on it in access of 50 cruises....To each their own...it's not for me.

I am sure your eggplant dress is beautiful....can't wait to see pictures

I apologize, it wasn't my intention to judge anyone... but I was on the Dream on December 15-22, and there were chair hogs every day and the towel policy is not enforced, so they clearly have not cleaned up their act as of week before last!! Nor do the enforce the dress code on formal nights, which didn't bother me...just sayin!! :o

I have been on 5 different lines. All 5 has had "chair hogs"....the difference is that Royal Caribbean and Norwegian enforced their rules. NCL also enforces the dress code in the more "elegant" dining room....which I love seeing that. If I am going to take the time to dress elegantly, I don't want to sit at the table with someone with an old t shirt on....just saying

Could we please not judge those cruiselines others enjoy? To judge/mock the cruiseline is to judge/mock the cruisers. !

I totally agree . A vacation can get bad reviews because of weather , illness , boyfriend drama , personal problems or a million other reasons . Let's resume the fashion part & skip the cruise ship reviews. I have been on six different lines quite a few times and frankly they are pretty similar .

I totally agree . A vacation can get bad reviews because of weather , illness , boyfriend drama , personal problems or a million other reasons . Let's resume the fashion part & skip the cruise ship reviews. I have been on six different lines quite a few times and frankly they are pretty similar .

Again, I apologize. I never intended to hurt anyones feelings.

I hope to post a few pictures later on...after I take them! I just received two dresses I had ordered, and I think they are really nice.

I too use photobucket - I really never bother to make the pictures smaller, I keep them nice and big. That's good, and that's bad, lol. I keep them big because I think that it allows people to see the details and colors better than a small picture does. The downside is, you see the flaws sometimes too. Eh, we all have flaws, right?

Shopping wise, I try to find good deals. I really don't like wearing the same exact dresses on a cruise over and over again. I figure that if I shop wisely and look for good deals, it can justify having a few dresses in the closet.

I find good deals from time to time on casual to semi formal dresses. With formal wear, the prices can vary a lot. I never find anything in the local stores at the mall...at all. There are a few shorter cocktail dresses from time to time, but seldom anything that really works for me. I tend to order from Lightinthebox. I can get the exact color, style and size I'm looking for.

I just received my latest order, so I will post pictures soon.

mkxp1TC37b_ZMELx0c33f5g.jpgThought about getting this dress for cruise in January...for formal night. Its a 4 day cruise on Carnival to Ensenada and having taken this cruise last year from what people wore it's dressy enough for a formal night on that cruise.I love the long, elegant gowns but seems like everyone I saw on this cruise sticks to cocktail dresses....thoughts?

Beautiful dress. I've never done a 4 day, have seen long and short dresses on 7 day Carnival cruises. I take short mainly because I have to fly, they take up less space and I don't have any other times to wear a long gown.

Edited by KandCsailing

I hope to post a few pictures later on...after I take them! I just received two dresses I had ordered, and I think they are really nice.

I too use photobucket - I really never bother to make the pictures smaller, I keep them nice and big. That's good, and that's bad, lol. I keep them big because I think that it allows people to see the details and colors better than a small picture does. The downside is, you see the flaws sometimes too. Eh, we all have flaws, right?

Shopping wise, I try to find good deals. I really don't like wearing the same exact dresses on a cruise over and over again. I figure that if I shop wisely and look for good deals, it can justify having a few dresses in the closet.

I find good deals from time to time on casual to semi formal dresses. With formal wear, the prices can vary a lot. I never find anything in the local stores at the mall...at all. There are a few shorter cocktail dresses from time to time, but seldom anything that really works for me. I tend to order from Lightinthebox. I can get the exact color, style and size I'm looking for.

I just received my latest order, so I will post pictures soon.

I also don't want to take the same dresses on cruises because I like having my picture taken and I don't want a bunch in the same dress. That's why I get most of mine at Ross. You can't hardly beat $29.99 for a long evening gown.

I agree about the bigger pictures. A lot of the thumbnail pictures posted, can't really even tell what the clothes are

Here are my new dresses.

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

I really like the brown one. I like the other one, but I am not a fan of the "tail"...be my luck, someone would step on it and rip the dress....

I should mention that I'm getting the dress hemmed, and the train is going, or at least most of it. Trains look lovely in a picture, but once you go to move, they're awful. If you aren't stepping or tripping over it, other will.

Laura,

Love your dresses....have not used Lightinthebox, but have looked there several times. I take it that you have had success with them...I have my eye on a dress there and always like to hear good things about new places that I might like to try.

As far as the trains...I have a few that have the long trains...I usually have then hemmed...but lately the gowns that I have ordered that come with the train...I just tell them what length I want and that I want it the same all the way around. They have been great about the request, have never charged any extra fees. Now that I know they will do that...I won't be paying those huge fees to the alterations for hemming a gown!:)

I learned from the first few gowns that had trains...Drew always walked a little behind me, to keep people from stepping on them!:rolleyes::D

Thanks for sharing the pictures....you know how much we ladies like seeing the pictures..:)

i've debated a bit if I should have some sort of short train to it...one of those really small ones. (there is a name for it, but I forget) There is a train that attaches to this dress, that is the same chiffon. It's narrow, but gathered to be full. It has the same detail on it as on the top of the shoulder. I thought it was very pretty. I wondered that if I went to a very short train or no train at all, would this look okay if it were adjusted to the length of the dress?

i've debated a bit if I should have some sort of short train to it...one of those really small ones. (there is a name for it, but I forget) There is a train that attaches to this dress, that is the same chiffon. It's narrow, but gathered to be full. It has the same detail on it as on the top of the shoulder. I thought it was very pretty. I wondered that if I went to a very short train or no train at all, would this look okay if it were adjusted to the length of the dress?

Are you referring to a sweep train?

This was fun to put together, but I don't think it worked. I'm wearing palazzo pants, a teal bustierre and a black lace camisole over that. I loved the color, though.

I think it looks fine together.....love the teal color and the black lace sets it off nicely

The teal outfit looks great, and you have a perfect figure! Palazzo pants are a good idea, you were probably the most comfortable one in the room! The only thing I might've done differently is wear more dramatic earrings with it. In the picture it looks like you are wearing pearls, is that correct? I might've done a different color of jewely instead of white (but I'm not sure exactly what -- I'm not a fashion guru either).

Laurie, I would've said I loved the brown one, because the style really complements your figure and the sparkles at the waistline look lovely... but then I saw the yellow/gold dress and I LOVED LOVED LOVED that one! I agree with the people who said the length of the train might cause difficulty, but still I thought it was stunning in every respect.

I just got off the Carnival Dream, and nobody really dressed too formal on the two formal nights? I even saw a guy in there with blue jeans on - so evidently, they don't enforce a dress code in the "Scarlett" dining room?

Yes, I'm a bit confused about that myself. I see many fabulous formal gowns posted here...but on the Royal Caribbean cruise I went on, I didn't see one single long dress. Not a one. (Perhaps there were a few ladies in formal gowns somewhere else on the ship, but I didn't see any on my side of the dining room.)

I almost got the impression that cruising is MUCH more casual than it ever used to be. At the regular dinners, there were few women in a dress besides myself. And at the formal dinner, it was definitely NOT formal attire... rather, just nice-looking attire. Most men wore some type of coat or jacket but took it off to eat. I didn't see a single tux.

And outside of the dining room, I never saw anybody wearing anything fancy. It was completely, utterly casual.

On one hand, it was a big relief: I won't feel nearly as much pressure when packing for my next cruise. On the other hand, the casualness was a big disappointment: I had psyched myself up for being around some very fancy elegant people, but ended up realizing that everybody was mostly plain just like me :)

OK, last one...this is from Prohibition Party on the Allure. I found this dress at Salvation Army Thrift Store.

rs6aev.jpg

Sharon, your Prohibition get-up was outstanding! How did you know ahead of time that the ship would have that type of event?

Edited by styxfire

Thank you. I was always the tomboy growing up and haven't dressed up much until I married the man of my dreams a couple years ago. I'm learning about my style, colors, fit and so forth.

I liked the colors together. My choice of jewelry would probably have been black crystal or silver from what I could see of photo.

Mostly want to congratulate you on finding the man of your dreams and being able to enjoy life together. An added plus is you being thin enough to wear some wonderful styles! Enjoy the exploration and adventures as you discover new things about yourself! Cruises can be good places to try a style and see how you feel in them. Just remember color is good and I'd guess you can wear most of them!