Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

Both Emergency Drills I participated on on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the Cruise Director--his name was J.C.--and he was quite empatic that if one REFUSED to particpate, they would not be permitted to sail. I have been on HAL 33 times and have actually done 38 voyages. The Drills were always done before we left port.

There was also "talk" about this on FB, people were discussing passengers being removed from The Westerdam and Eurodam. A response from HAL said no passengers were removed from The Eurodam, but never confirmed or denied the removal of passengers from The Westerdam

One of my father's friends is a travel agent and was the agent for the passengers removed from the Westerdam. He received an email from HAL that day to inform him of the situation. (and presumably to not ask for a refund). He had no sympathy for them at all!

The captain announced that failing to attend the muster will cause passengers not to sail. There was on situation on the 4th and another on the 11th. He kept requesting several passengers to come to the muster and be checked in and had to repeatedly ask for quiet. Some people never shut up during the muster as they felt they were sppecial. I think the couple on the 4th didn't sail.

Apparantly, the (former) name of the 'Muster Drill' is now known as the 'Passenger Emergency Drill'! ;)

A lifeboat drill (that's what it really is) by any other name ... SHOULD BE ATTENDED BY EVERYONE AND THEY SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION. I've sailed 9 different lines and HAL has held the best, not the most convenient, drills of all.

That incident happened three weeks ago on January 29, 2012. I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the same time and the announcement was clearly made that if one refused to go to the safty briefing, the refuser would not be allowed to sail. I think the Costa incident has had a salutary affect on both cruise lines and passengers.

That incident happened three weeks ago on January 29, 2012. I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the same time and the announcement was clearly made that if one refused to go to the safty briefing, the refuser would not be allowed to sail. I think the Costa incident has had a salutary affect on both cruise lines and passengers.

and high time:) I remember being told on Princess that I could just watch it on TV if I didn't want to go a few years ago:eek:

I was disappointed that on our Ryndam cruise last week they had to track down several parties missing from our lifeboat. Also, there was a lot of loud talking and messing around.

C'mon, just do two simple things: Show Up and Shut Up. (And, believe me, this is the only time I ever shut up.)

We had the same experience on 2/14 on the Noordam. Several people didn't show up until after their names were announced several times. And there were a number of people who simply couldn't stop talking. Guess it was too much to ask that they stay quiet for 15 minutes so the rest of us could hear what the crew were saying.

they should be required to stand at their muster staitions for a half hour while the rest of us leave for cocktails and sail away and we can riducule them for being rinconsiderate. Maybe make them wear a life jacket for the rest of the day so everyone will know who they are.

Edited by m steve

• 2 years later...
The cabin stewards check each cabin and all public rooms are checked. They might miss you if you hide under the bed.

Unless the staff are negligent, there is no need to check cabins. A MUSTER involves taking names - if you miss muster, your name will not be checked off and your failure to show up will be obvious.

Unless the staff are negligent, there is no need to check cabins. A MUSTER involves taking names - if you miss muster, your name will not be checked off and your failure to show up will be obvious.

Please, PLEASE do not be inconsiderate of others during muster drill. On my recent Maasdam cruise, all pax were required to remain at muster stations in May FtL temps while the crew searched cabins, etc for those who failed to check in. It took FOREVER... several pax at my station became faint.

Please, PLEASE do not be inconsiderate of others during muster drill. On my recent Maasdam cruise, all pax were required to remain at muster stations in May FtL temps while the crew searched cabins, etc for those who failed to check in. It took FOREVER... several pax at my station became faint.

Agree 100%!! On our just returned from cruise, Seattle/Alaska Round trip, 12 July 2014, the temp at Muster Drill was 90 degrees in full sun, hottest day on Record, so we were told.

Just after the numerous room numbers, and then names called over the PA system 4 times, the call went out "Bright Star Deck 3 Mid Ship Life Boat 3"............. I am convinced it was more than likey an elderly passenger and that the Bright Star might not have occurred if the negligent passengers had been on time:(

Joanie

Joanie -- I hope that the passenger that they had to use Bright Star at the lifeboat drill was okay afterwards.

So do I Yonnie, but we were delayed leaving by about 45 minutes, after it. That made a total of 3 Bright Stars during our 2 weeks. And 60 passengers from Zuiderdam and Westerdam stranded in/around/above Juneau due to inclement weather.

Off to take a nap and will write in depth review later.

Joanie