?Tablemate infidelity?

lahlah57

[quote name='jilaxton']I ought to add that I am 94, so it was delightful to be called a Beach Chick!.....
Emily[/QUOTE]

Emily - As you're from New Zealand, not sure whether they sell vitamins there under the brand name of Centrum, but it's basically a daily multi-vitamin supplement. They also make a variety called Centrum Senior which is specially formulated for older folks.

So with that background, I was recently at my cardiologist's office (I'm 64) and the nurse was reviewing my medications w/ me. I mentioned I took Centrum Senior. She smiled and said, you might enjoy this story. I was taking a med history on an 84 yr old lady the other day and she told me that she took Centrum... I said, don't you mean Centrum Senior? She replied "No, that's for OLD people"

I think the 2 of you might be kindred spirits. *S*

[quote name='Seago2']Hello, are we reading a cast off script for a very boring episode of Downton Abbey? "places at table"?

Stoooooopppppp arguuuingggggg. You are both saying the same thing.[/quote]

One other option is to Stoooooopppppp reeeeeeeeeaddddinggggg:rolleyes:

Just trying to help.

This is why we sail with NCL...free style cruising. We eat when we want, where we want, with who we want (or don't want). No assigned seating like it use to be years ago.

My horror story from back in the 80's. We were assigned a table with another couple (I'm guessing maybe in their 50's or 60's). We were 22 and 21 at the time and it was our "anniversary" cruise. We were young love birds, however had nothing in common with the other couple. It was VERY awkward and not much conversation during dinner. We found the following night that THEY had ask to be moved to another table. We were not only relieved but ended up with another couple at our table with the same names, were on their honeymoon, and were our age. We hit it off great and never looked back. :D

• 2 months later...

I cruise Norwegian so please help me out with this it's a genuine question.

Why does the waitstaff hold up everyone else's dinner if some people don't show? You're not in the same party, you're simply seated at the same table. This isn't like a traditional on shore restaurant where if you're seated with someone they assume you know them.

I think it's awesome that so many people are that polite, I don't think I could deal with all of that "to-do" over dinner though. :o

Seems for some people on this board, being courteous to others is so irritating that they can't be bothered to show some consideration. Attitudes that they are on vacation and don't owe anyone an excuse, or it's their vacation and they don't have to explain themselves to their table mates, or if they were to ever get stuck with strangers they'd feel no obligation whatsoever to explain themselves. I guess for some it's too huge an effort to be kind to others. :rolleyes:

Thank heaven I wasn't brought up in such a self centered world.

Well-said!:D

I cruise Norwegian so please help me out with this it's a genuine question.

Why does the waitstaff hold up everyone else's dinner if some people don't show? You're not in the same party, you're simply seated at the same table. This isn't like a traditional on shore restaurant where if you're seated with someone they assume you know them.

I think it's awesome that so many people are that polite, I don't think I could deal with all of that "to-do" over dinner though. :o

It's a matter of logistics. The servers have only so much time to serve many tables. They don't know if the no-shows are running late, or not coming at all. If they had to serve each table every time someone showed up late, they'd be doing twice the work at that table. For sake of efficiency, they have to serve an entire table at the same time whenever possible, otherwise they'd be spread out too thin, the service levels would go down for all tables, and everyone would be unhappy, not just the table with the latecomers.

The polite thing to do is for people to let their table mates know whenever they aren't going to be joining them. That way no one has to unknowingly wait for people who aren't coming. This is a simple courtesy my wife and I always extend to our table mates. Unfortunately, not everyone provides the same level of courtesy in return.

On our first cruise, my husband (then fiance) and I were at a 4 top with our friends, so it wasn't an issue. On our second cruise, which was our honeymoon, we were at a 6 top. It was before the days of any time dining. One couple never showed up, so we have no idea if they took one look at us and ran for the hills or what. The other couple was great, we really enjoyed their company and looked forward to dinner. One night we had a late lunch in port and just were not hungry so we skipped dinner. It didn't even occur to us that we should let anyone know as we had no idea the waiter would wait for us. I don't think we would have even known WHO to tell, we were that inexperienced. The next night they asked where we had been and we told them we were just too full for dinner and said we were sorry to have left them alone. They said it wasn't a problem and that was the end of the discussion, they didn't make a big deal out of it, and they were experienced cruisers. Our last cruise we had Anytime Dining and we really enjoyed the flexibility.

Wife and I go on a cruise to enjoy ourselves. During the day we plan our fun, on board or in port. If we run into other people we have met at the dining table we talk, but never hang out with them. We have missed dinner a few times on our cruises and never have been asked where we were. And we never ask where other people have been. If they want to tell us and the other diners at the table we will listen.

It's a matter of logistics. The servers have only so much time to serve many tables. They don't know if the no-shows are running late, or not coming at all. If they had to serve each table every time someone showed up late, they'd be doing twice the work at that table. For sake of efficiency, they have to serve an entire table at the same time whenever possible, otherwise they'd be spread out too thin, the service levels would go down for all tables, and everyone would be unhappy, not just the table with the latecomers.

The polite thing to do is for people to let their table mates know whenever they aren't going to be joining them. That way no one has to unknowingly wait for people who aren't coming. This is a simple courtesy my wife and I always extend to our table mates. Unfortunately, not everyone provides the same level of courtesy in return.

Thanks for the reply. Gotcha'. Makes sense. I'm sure that your table mates and servers appreciate your courtesy. :)

I guess I ought to stick with sailing what I know as I rarely decide until the last minute where I'm eating or when!

We have been extremely lucky to have nice, mostly interesting people as tablemates when we have cruised. We learned to let people know if we weren't going to be dining the next night in the MDR. Here's one reason why you should let people know:

We were at a table for 10 with six other couples (all twosomes who had never met). One night one of the couples said they were going to be in the speciality restaurant due to their anniversary. To be honest, one of the remaining two couples was a little overbearing. I told my husband, "We really should make sure to eat in the MDR tonight so that XXX and his wife XXX don't get stuck along with that couple". So what happened? XXX and his wife didn't make it to dinner -- neither did the overbearing couple. So there we sat, the two of us, alone at a table for 10!

The Maitre'D came over and said, "What happened?" and I just smiled and said, "I guess I p*ssed everyone off!".

Everyone showed up the next night and all was well. But, we could have skipped the MDR, too, if we had known no one else was coming -- so it's nice to be polite when you have a chance.

My time dining and table for 2 please!

I prefer not to have to make awkward small talk trying to get to know strangers while trying to eat. I'll meet you at the pool or bar when I'm not starving and trying to keep my mouth closed while chewing lol

Our first cruise we got stuck with a couple that did nothing but whine and complain the entire meal, particularly about another passenger who dared come to the dining room dressed inappropriately. OK, she wasn't dressed according to rules, but did they have to ruin MY meal complaining the whole time???

We do a table for two, so no problem at all. We do let the wait staff know if we don't plan to show, so they can give the table to someone else.

We have even stopped by the MDR on our way to some place else just to let them know. They don't seem to care one way or the other but we felt it was the right thing to do.

Seems for some people on this board, being courteous to others is so irritating that they can't be bothered to show some consideration. Attitudes that they are on vacation and don't owe anyone an excuse, or it's their vacation and they don't have to explain themselves to their table mates, or if they were to ever get stuck with strangers they'd feel no obligation whatsoever to explain themselves. I guess for some it's too huge an effort to be kind to others. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I work for the symphony in Atlanta, and I can't believe how many people must be performing brain surgery during a concert, because they are all on their phones, and since when I was growing up only a doctor with an emergency would be getting a call while they were at the symphony, that must be the reason. The overall problem is that it is a self serve world, with little human interaction these days. I would love for the inter net (except for cruise critic and making my cruise reservations) to just go away, and let people have their jobs back (instead of machines) and see people talking to each other when they are out on a date, instead of texting to ????? who are they texting to.?

Now regarding my dinner mates. We like to meet people. DH and I find that by meeting people we actually learn things. And so the people and the table become a party. It is an event. You do RSVP to a fancy party, so we do tell our tablemates when we will not be in to dinner, (I mean the Party). On our last cruise were at a table for 10, 3/3/4. Our service was awful! but not so bad that I would give up my table for the Lido (yuck) by the third night, the party of 3 to my left said they would not be back. The party of 4 showed up in 2's, on the last night, one 20 minutes late, the other while we were being served dinner's main course, and the whole process slowed down until they were ready for dessert. IT's common courtesy, but cruisers need to make it the party, not their own party. Just a suggestion. Create the party!

Thank you. I work for the symphony in Atlanta, and I can't believe how many people must be performing brain surgery during a concert, because they are all on their phones, and since when I was growing up only a doctor with an emergency would be getting a call while they were at the symphony, that must be the reason. The overall problem is that it is a self serve world, with little human interaction these days. I would love for the inter net (except for cruise critic and making my cruise reservations) to just go away, and let people have their jobs back (instead of machines) and see people talking to each other when they are out on a date, instead of texting to ????? who are they texting to.?

Now regarding my dinner mates. We like to meet people. DH and I find that by meeting people we actually learn things. And so the people and the table become a party. It is an event. You do RSVP to a fancy party, so we do tell our tablemates when we will not be in to dinner, (I mean the Party). On our last cruise were at a table for 10, 3/3/4. Our service was awful! but not so bad that I would give up my table for the Lido (yuck) by the third night, the party of 3 to my left said they would not be back. The party of 4 showed up in 2's, on the last night, one 20 minutes late, the other while we were being served dinner's main course, and the whole process slowed down until they were ready for dessert. IT's common courtesy, but cruisers need to make it the party, not their own party. Just a suggestion. Create the party!

Marshawk my hubby loves going to the Atlanta Symphony. Our cell phone are off when there, or movies,church, etc. even in the checkout line at the store- that is simple common good manners

We do a table for two, so no problem at all. We do let the wait staff know if we don't plan to show, so they can give the table to someone else.

We have even stopped by the MDR on our way to some place else just to let them know. They don't seem to care one way or the other but we felt it was the right thing to do.

When we first started cruising we did the same, on several different cruise lines, either stopping by the MDR or calling on the phone to let them know we would not be there that night.

Nobody ever cared and we were told several times that it was not necessary, so we stopped doing it.

These days we usually opt for open dining (called by different names on different cruise lines) so it is not a concern at all.

But if dining with others at a fixed time, we just tell our tablemates and waiter on the first day not to wait for us if we are not there within 5 minutes of the scheduled dining time. Others at the table usually do the same. Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...

"If we're not there when you're ready, please don't wait for us"

I like the approach of saying the above at the start of the cruise. It is more flexible than stating a specific amount of time (i.e. 10 minutes), and let's people get on with their meal.

I did have an interesting experience years back on Carnival, when I was the only one who turned up for dinner at a 10-top. After about 10 rather uncomfortable minutes, I moved to another table which had an empty seat.

Bull---common courtesy or not, my vacations revolve around deciding one moment to the next what I will be doing. I never decide the day before, the night before or even an hour before.

Especially on vacation....decisions are made on the spur of the moment and to hunt down a tablemate to tell them not to expect me at dinner is something I haven't done since living with mommy.

Please don't hold dinner at 8 for me and I will do the same for you;)

Yeah - I see your point. Common courtesy has no place on a vacation. Since it's your vacation, think only about yourself. Politeness has no place on a cruise.

Bull---common courtesy or not, my vacations revolve around deciding one moment to the next what I will be doing. I never decide the day before, the night before or even an hour before.

Especially on vacation....decisions are made on the spur of the moment and to hunt down a tablemate to tell them not to expect me at dinner is something I haven't done since living with mommy.

So, I think I hear you saying you would be OK saying to your tablemates that if you are not present when they are ready to order, that they should go ahead without you?

It's called selfishness - plain and simple. MY vacation, MY table, I do what I want because it's MY vacation. Some people obviously have absolutely no upbringing.There's a Toby Keith song " I Wanna Talk About Me". I suspect some of these posters are charter members of the "Me First" generation.

Even at the last minute you can always call the MDR and the Maitre 'd or Headwaiter can notify your waitstaff that you will not be there.

Even at the last minute you can always call the MDR and the Maitre 'd or Headwaiter can notify your waitstaff that you will not be there.

Had not thought of that. Wonder if they'd actually pass on the message? I'll try to remember that if we ever have traditional dining with others at our table.

Wonder if there's any way to do this electronically. I.e. the Maitre 'd or your waiter gets notified when you make a reservation for a specialty restaurant. They wouldn't get notified for EVERY person skipping the MDR that night, but at least they'd know about some.

Had not thought of that. Wonder if they'd actually pass on the message?
As I have posted previously, we tried doing that a number of times when we first started cruising.

Nobody cared and each time we asked, we were told that it was not necessary, so we stopped doing it.

These days we usually prefer open dining, but if we have traditional dining at a table with others, we just tell our tablemates and waiter on the first day not to wait for us if we are not there within 5 minutes of the scheduled dining time. Others at our table then usually do the same.

Archived