Diamond members..are you aware of this policy?

This is why I agree with the OP. I don't think friends in other cabins need to be allowed it but I do think a travelling companion in the same cabin should be ok. Let's say 4 couples cruise together as retiree's. over a number of years they all become diamond. Then, sadly the husband of couple #4 passes away. As they begin to plan their next cruise, the widowed wife is encouraged to continue travelling with the group and wife #1 suggests that her widowed sister might be intersted in sharing #4's cabin. The 8 people go on the cruise, but only 7 are eligible for the lounge. Being polite and mature adults, they of course do not go without the extra person and all miss out on the benefits. Seems very unreasonable to me.

Yes, but it's hard to measure 'what is reasonable'. I'm sure my situation seems very reasonable to me, but it wouldn't to someone else.

I'm a D+ and am bringing a first time Royal cruiser on board with me. I have no intentions of telling him anything about the Consierge lounge as I will not be rude and leave him to be on his own while I partake.

Really not a big deal.

This is why I agree with the OP. I don't think friends in other cabins need to be allowed it but I do think a travelling companion in the same cabin should be ok. Let's say 4 couples cruise together as retiree's. over a number of years they all become diamond. Then, sadly the husband of couple #4 passes away. As they begin to plan their next cruise, the widowed wife is encouraged to continue travelling with the group and wife #1 suggests that her widowed sister might be intersted in sharing #4's cabin. The 8 people go on the cruise, but only 7 are eligible for the lounge. Being polite and mature adults, they of course do not go without the extra person and all miss out on the benefits. Seems very unreasonable to me.

Interesting as it seems very reasonable to me.

I see no need to give it to the cabin. I´ve cruised a number of times with my Mom and while I was D+ she had to make her way up through G, P and D. We simply didn´t use the lounge when in a regular cabin. No problem at all.

I'm a D+ and am bringing a first time Royal cruiser on board with me. I have no intentions of telling him anything about the Consierge lounge as I will not be rude and leave him to be on his own while I partake.

Really not a big deal.

That, my dear, is because you are not a complainer, bad sport, or one of those who feels entitled to something they are not. Would cruise with you ANYTIME! You are happy with what you have and appreciative of the perks that you have earned.

That, my dear, is because you are not a complainer, bad sport, or one of those who feels entitled to something they are not. Would cruise with you ANYTIME! You are happy with what you have and appreciative of the perks that you have earned.

My sentiments exactly...K.O. Outside of Philly;)

We've never received a phone welcome message on a Royal ship explaining CL and DL policy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wasn't going to say anything, but I also do not recall ever hearing a phone message explaining either. I know I didn't have it on Liberty last month.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wasn't going to say anything, but I also do not recall ever hearing a phone message explaining either. I know I didn't have it on Liberty last month.

We just left Liberty today, plus we were on Liberty earlier this month. No one called our room during either cruise. So maybe we are being snubbed AquaHound. Oh well, maybe when we reach Pinnacle Class (when Hubby and I are 90.)

And thats fine, your scenario is a bit out there, but I find the rules perfectly reasonable, sorry...K.O. outside of Philly

I agree!! And I'd cruise with either of you anytime!!;)

That is the official policy on Royal Caribbean and in the Caribbean it seems to be strictly enforced. It does depend on the diamond lounge representative. On a November European cruise a few years back, the Diamond representative allowed my parents to come in with us. He just asked that if it was busy, we come back a little later. We never had a problem.

Keep in mind however that Celebrity does allow passengers in the same cabin to enter their version of the "Diamond" lounge if only one passenger qualifies.

Shawn

Maybe they only send it to known troublemakers. ;)

We just left Liberty today, plus we were on Liberty earlier this month. No one called our room during either cruise. So maybe we are being snubbed AquaHound. Oh well, maybe when we reach Pinnacle Class (when Hubby and I are 90.)

I've never had a voice mail either...the letter yes...but no phone call...gee..I feel so UN-special...:(;)

RC keeps track of so much more than most cruisers realize....Lets say your a passenger and go to the specialty restaurants on lets say Oasis. You go to every pay venue to eat during a week and at each and every dining venue you go to guest relations and "claim" the food was horrible at each venue. RC keeps track of lets say "blatant complainers" or individuals who complain to complain or try to keep getting something for nothing. After so much of this cruise lines not just RC will blacklist you so to speak. So when I see a person post something like"the food in the MDR was inedible all week" or " the food was horrible shipwide" or " there was no selection in the windjammer", well either these are very miserable folks or they are the small percentage who try to get extra perks or something for nothing. And by blacklisiting I mean after so many of these complaints the cruise line will cease to try to appease these people with extra perks, free bottles of wine, etc. etc.......K.O. near Philly;)

There was a recent thread on the Carnival board about a fellow who was banned for life from taking a Carnival cruise , even though he was a frequent cruiser, and the reason , the best that I could tell, was that he complained so much, and was told he wasn't welcome on board.

There was a recent thread on the Carnival board about a fellow who was banned for life from taking a Carnival cruise , even though he was a frequent cruiser, and the reason , the best that I could tell, was that he complained so much, and was told he wasn't welcome on board.

This has happened on Royal as well.....ask Brenda!!

Really not a big deal.

Plus by your post you really wouldn't fit in with a large number in the D.L. and C.L. Complete opposite of the " gimmmes" that lurk around and moan about everything.....even the freebies....;):D

While I understand and respect the policy, I agree that some concierges make the situation very difficult. I travel mostly with my best friend since my DH doesn't like to travel much. I know from cruising with either my DH or friend on Celebrity that they could join me at Elite Events. In November on the Navigator TA my friend joined me for the first 3 nights. no one ever mentioned the rule. On the 4 th night she was embarrassed at the door and made to feel like we were trying to crash an event she had no right to be at. It was very embarrassing, and made both of us uncomfortable.

I actually wasn't sure of the policy, and posted a question on CC. I found some of the responses bordering on being as rude as our ship-board experience.

There are two issues - the RULES, and adherence to the rules...same applies to chair hogs, theater seat reserving, drinks smuggling, kids in adult only areas, formal night attire etc

It surely would help if rules were explaned consistently before hand and consistently upheld throughout the organization's facilities.

As a Diamond or Diamond+ member of C&A, wouldn’t you want to know what you are entitled to or NOT entitled to? The error in the OP’s situation is that she did not know what her benefits entitled-for herself or others. Assuming, but actually not knowing, the benefits caused the embarrassment. Isn’t it up to any member of any organization to make themselves familiar with the actual rules so they are not denied any rightful privileges? Maybe the good that will come out of OP's posting is that D and D+ will actually review what the benefits are/are not available to them as written in the RCL website. Those who will ignore or defy the rules take their own chances.

As a Diamond or Diamond+ member of C&A, wouldn’t you want to know what you are entitled to or NOT entitled to? The error in the OP’s situation is that she did not know what her benefits entitled-for herself or others. Assuming, but actually not knowing, the benefits caused the embarrassment. Isn’t it up to any member of any organization to make themselves familiar with the actual rules so they are not denied any rightful privileges? Maybe the good that will come out of OP's posting is that D and D+ will actually review what the benefits are/are not available to them as written in the RCL website. Those who will ignore or defy the rules take their own chances.

I agree with what you said but had to post it on my notepad and blow up the font!!:o

I actually wasn't sure of the policy, and posted a question on CC. I found some of the responses bordering on being as rude as our ship-board experience.

That has, unfortunately, been known to happen on these boards. I think the majority of posters here are good, helpful people though who will answer your question to the best of their knowledge... so try to ignore the nonsense!

While I understand and respect the policy, I agree that some concierges make the situation very difficult. I travel mostly with my best friend since my DH doesn't like to travel much. I know from cruising with either my DH or friend on Celebrity that they could join me at Elite Events. In November on the Navigator TA my friend joined me for the first 3 nights. no one ever mentioned the rule. On the 4 th night she was embarrassed at the door and made to feel like we were trying to crash an event she had no right to be at. It was very embarrassing, and made both of us uncomfortable.

There are two issues - the RULES, and adherence to the rules...same applies to chair hogs, theater seat reserving, drinks smuggling, kids in adult only areas, formal night attire etc

It surely would help if rules were explaned consistently before hand and consistently upheld throughout the organization's facilities.

So, if you've sailed on both lines, surely you are aware that Celebrity does not have identical rules (e.g., they allow you to carry on two bottles of wine, do not permit smoking on balconies, etc.), so there was no reason to believe they would permit non-D cruisers into the DL. Actually, you say you posted a question on CC. I'm guessing the "rude" responses were ones that told you you could not do this, but if confused, you surely could have inquired the first night.

How do some concierges make things difficult? By adhering to the rules? It's likely your friend wasn't noticed the first three nights (or maybe noticed by others who complained?). If you were "made to feel like we were trying to crash an event she had no right to be at", well, weren't you? Sorry you were embarrassed, but it was your own fault.

So, if you've sailed on both lines, surely you are aware that Celebrity does not have identical rules (e.g., they allow you to carry on two bottles of wine, do not permit smoking on balconies, etc.), so there was no reason to believe they would permit non-D cruisers into the DL. Actually, you say you posted a question on CC. I'm guessing the "rude" responses were ones that told you you could not do this, but if confused, you surely could have inquired the first night.

How do some concierges make things difficult? By adhering to the rules? It's likely your friend wasn't noticed the first three nights (or maybe noticed by others who complained?). If you were "made to feel like we were trying to crash an event she had no right to be at", well, weren't you? Sorry you were embarrassed, but it was your own fault.

Thanks for your opinion. However, my C&A contact had told me there was a lounge "just like the Elite lounge on Celebrity". She knew who I was sharing the room with and knew this was our first RCCL cruise and my friend was not yet elite on Celebrity.

I understood this to mean we could both use the lounge, and did for three days. From reading this board I now know that much advice told by customer service reps from RCCL is not accurate. As a new customer I did not know the real experts are on CC, not the company's representatives.

At that time we were not just advised we had been told the wrong information by the C&A representative, but we're belittled as rule breakers- which connotates deliberate breaking of rules, not inaccurate information given.

"(or maybe noticed by others who complained?)"

How would others in the lounge know our status. Let alone complain about our presence? In fact the two of us made several friends who later asked why we stopped going for pre-dinner drinks

I appreciate your superior ability to be all knowing, but I do not see this as "my own fault"

It seems peculiar to me that so many other rules are broken by so many, yet at a customer loyalty benefit function we were ridiculed. And when I try to explain my reaction NOT to the rules but to the unfriendly and rude treatment we received I am told it is my own fault.

Sorry to hear you feel this way, but, yes, that has always been their policy. Like others have said, sometimes the concierge will "look the other way", but I, too, have had guests I was traveling with in my cabin turned away. As for your friend being embarrased, I am sorry this happened, but I have to wonder why she was so upset. Had you already promised her that she would be able to go with you? If that's the case, maybe you were the one who was actually embarrased. Personally, I don't feel that you are justified in being mad at the cruise line simply because one of its employees was following the rules. JMHO, of course.

I agree with you.

Archived