Quickly getting to 10 cruises...?

sunlovingirl

Hello!

My fiancee and I are trying to get to 10 cruises as quickly as possible, however, we are not millionaires, so we can't keep doing the 7 day cruises that we love so much.

We were trying to come up with some good 3 or 5 day cruises to do that would be cheaper and just as fun, but would get us to that next level soonest.

Any advice on good short cruises?

He just did his first cruise, but this was my 4th with Carnival. We were going to try different lines (RCL etc) but for now, we like Carnival and would like to stay with them!

Thanks for all the advice in advance! :D

We really liked the Carnival Triumph 5-day cruise.

You could do a few of the 3-days B2B.

You know the perks of "the next level" aren't really that great though, right? This seems like an expensive goal if you are taking cruises that might not really interest you.

It won't matter too much anymore since Carnival is going to number of days sailed. That is supposed to happen this year. The levels will be 1-24 days; 25 - 74 days; 75 - 224 days; and 225 + days. Who knows how the perks will be redistributed.

What I did was 3 day 4 day 3 day B2B2B's. Leaving on Friday and coming back 10 days later Monday morning. Get in 3 cruises in 10 days. I lived in Florida so it was no big deal. I also did many 3 or 4 days. Currently there are a few Fantasy class ships that do 3 day, 4 day rotations. Check them out. You get 2 cruises in a week.

But like the previous poster said, Carnival will change its loyalty program soon. Exactly when is anyone's guess. But if you are quite a ways short it is probably not worth trying. I am still 6 or 7 short of Milestone. I am not going to bother to try.

But they say if you are platinum now you will grandfather it in. I still need two more for mile stone. I looked today for 2 short cruises from New Orleans,but with summer coming prices are to high. I would have to go solo

It won't matter too much anymore since Carnival is going to number of days sailed. That is supposed to happen this year. The levels will be 1-24 days; 25 - 74 days; 75 - 224 days; and 225 + days. Who knows how the perks will be redistributed.

unless they get to 10 before the program is launched.

which should be any year now.

Hello!

My fiancee and I are trying to get to 10 cruises as quickly as possible, however, we are not millionaires, so we can't keep doing the 7 day cruises that we love so much.

We were trying to come up with some good 3 or 5 day cruises to do that would be cheaper and just as fun, but would get us to that next level soonest.

He just did his first cruise, but this was my 4th with Carnival. We were going to try different lines (RCL etc) but for now, we like Carnival and would like to stay with them!

I would do this one

You can drive to NYC and save on airfare. You do not need to spend money on a hotel. Inside rooms are CHEAP...The CARNIVAL GLORY is a great ship and you would have a BLAST.5 Day Canada/New England from New York, NY

Departs from: New York, NY

Aboard the: Carnival Glory

Ports of Call: Saint John, NB, CanadaHalifax, NS, Canada

from

$379.00 avg per person

as little as $76/night

VIEW CRUISE DETAILS

Save

Dates

Interior

Ocean View

Balcony

Suites

Sep 03, 2012

(Mon - Sat)

$379.00

$499.00

$629.00

$929.00

I would do this one

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/SailingSearch/Search2/?dat=062012&embkCode=NYC

You can drive to NYC and save on airfare. You do not need to spend money on a hotel. Inside rooms are CHEAP...The CARNIVAL GLORY is a great ship and you would have a BLAST.

i paid more for a 2 day ctn out of ny than a 5 day out of POM with airfare. :eek:

Hello!

Any cruise can be a fun cruise, so I don't blame you for wanting to take a lot of them for whatever the reason may be! But it sounds like unless you get to ten (or have the tenth booked, "or are very close" as JH has said:confused:) before they change the loyalty program, you will not be grandfathered in as Plutonium..(not my joke, but I think its a good one)

Besides, there are no current perks that would justify extra cruises just to get to the next level faster..

As for a recommendation, we loved our 5 night Ecstasy cruise out of PC. Went to HMC, aka Heaven:p

We are going to be some of those folks who are borderline when Carnival finally decides to start the new loyalty program. We are sailing on cruise number 8 this June, and we have number 9 already booked next year in June also. We are thinking about booking another 5 day cruise either next March or next May, so we will have sailed 8 with at least #9 booked and maybe number #10 already booked as well when Carnival does decides to roll out the new loyalty program. I'm curious as to what Carnival will decide to do with us?

This is all very interesting! I didn't realize that they were changing the loyalty program. We talked with the carnival person on the ship, and they never mentioned it. (shocking). We really just like the VIP getting on board, thats really the only reason we care at all... But, if it's going to be an impossible goal, we might just try a new cruise line next year...

We are getting married on the Liberty this fall, and we cannot wait, but that being said, I know I can't afford 5 more cruises in a year, no matter how much they are!

Thanks for the tips, and we will certainly look into the cruises you all suggested anyway!! :D

Hello!

Unless you are planning on taking at least 3 more cruises and him taking at least 6 more cruises this year before the loyalty program changes (I know I'm optomistic that it will actually happen this year) it is unlikely that you would be grandfathered into the new program as Platinum.

I have read that a person with 7 cruises would be grandfathered in, but nothing less than that.

If you aren't able to take that many cruises before the end of the year, it might be more valuable to you to take a couple of 7 day cruises than even 2 or 3 shorter cruises. I guess at the very least I would see how many 5 day cruises I could work in.

My Mom is on #7 and she was booked on my cruise wedding in January (#8), so in order to get her to platinum, we booked an 8 day B2B on the Glory out of Boston and the prices were (and still are) crazy low. We are paying under $500pp with tax, we don't have to fly and it counts as two cruises.

We really liked the Carnival Triumph 5-day cruise.

You could do a few of the 3-days B2B.

You know the perks of "the next level" aren't really that great though, right? This seems like an expensive goal if you are taking cruises that might not really interest you.

I disagree. When you become platinum you are treated special. The room steward and MDR waiter knows your name and that platinum card means something to the ship staff whenever you have an occassion to use it. It's not just the back packs or coolers, it is the way you are viewed by the staff for your loyalty. Living in the middle of the country I attained platinum status the hard way with 7 day or longer cruises but I don't begrudge you for living close and taking advantage of the short drive to the ports. BUT, with the loyalty program due to change you need to get going.

Perks are not for everyone obviously. The wife asked about it the other day if we would ever become platinum or whatever. I doubt it with 8 more to go on Carnival and cruising every 12-16 months it would be forever.

Free laundry: we have never had a need for laundry on the cruise

Waiter/Steward know your name: They don't now and that seems fine?

Respect from seeing S&S Card: we only use it as a room key

Embarking early: never yet had a long wait

so, atleast for us, I am not seeing a perk worth it. Yes, some do though, to each his own.

I disagree. When you become platinum you are treated special. The room steward and MDR waiter knows your name and that platinum card means something to the ship staff whenever you have an occassion to use it. It's not just the back packs or coolers, it is the way you are viewed by the staff for your loyalty. Living in the middle of the country I attained platinum status the hard way with 7 day or longer cruises but I don't begrudge you for living close and taking advantage of the short drive to the ports. BUT, with the loyalty program due to change you need to get going.

When I first became Platinum back in 2007 it did seem like it was a big deal. There were very few people on the ship with Platinum cards and I did feel like the crew took notice and made you feel extra special for your loyalty......

But to my utter shock and disappointment, when I became Milestone this past March......There was an almost complete lack of recognition or reaction to my White Milestone card.

In fact when I got on the ship (the Magic) I was given a Platinum card and a Platinum welcome aboard letter. I had to take my milestone letter to guest services to get my S&S card changed and when they gave it to me they just said "There Ya Go"........

The only other person that even mentioned it was a bartender that my sister and I have known for a long time and he questioned why my card was white and hers was Platinum.

It's like they thought that they must have just run out of Platinum cards or something........I didn't even receive my 25% OBC, because eventhough I had talked to the Milestone agent at Carnival, she didn't mention and I didn't know that my TA would have had to contact her to get the credit set up.......

I think Carnival needs to hire me as a Customer Service Educator.....they have some serious training deficiencies......as I'm sure all other cruise lines do to based on some of the reviews that I read.

Hello!

May I ask why? Why are you trying to get to ten so quick? Just for VIP embarkation and a free $2 backpack?:confused: I would concentrate on booking trips that you really enjoy....you'll get to ten when you get there.

I think you'll feel "cruised out" by the time you get to your desired status in such a short amount of time.

I do 6 to 8 a year, and dont cruise during the summer, so its not unusual for me to have some close together.

I think it depends on you if you feel cruised out, the OP may not.

OP take a bunch of short cruises. I know folks on RCL who did that when they heard that RCL was moving to days. During the conversion, each 3 day cruise counted for a 7 day cruise.

do a 3/4 B2B instead of a 7 day etc.

I disagree. When you become platinum you are treated special. The room steward and MDR waiter knows your name and that platinum card means something to the ship staff whenever you have an occassion to use it.

I've been called by name by my room steward (and their assistants) and the MDR team assigned to me (even with anytime dining) since my very first cruise. I don't drink or use the Lido- so I don't know about those servers, but the entertainment staff who does trivia has always called by my name too. You don't need to be platinum for that, Carnival just has good customer service.

It's great that you feel Platinum is something special, but I don't understand the need to reach it "as fast as possible". Reach it by taking the cruises you want to take, from the locations you most prefer. Finding the cruises that will help you rack up the credits super fast doesn't really make sense to me.

If you live next to a port, and can take a 3-day to the Bahamas every other weekend, fantastic- but I don't understand the OP's need to get to 10 as quickly, and it sounds like, cheaply as possible. Get there when you get there.

Archived