Off Season Cruising

CRUISE4JANE

I enjoy "off-season" cruising. It has saved me a lot of $$ on cruise fare and air fare over the years. Thankfully, we have no children, so we are not confined to the school calendar. This also helps with getting time off from work, as most people have children, and they all want to take their vacations at the same time. During the end of the year holidays I book my time off on the weeks opposite everyone else. This can sometimes afford me weeks of not seeing people that I work with. Works great!! :)

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

Since "off season" for Caribbean cruises, which is what you seem to be referring to, is May through October, I cannot imagine why anyone would have an overcoat on at all.

In season, which is the rest of the year, some ships leave from colder climates to get you to those beautiful, sunny 75 - 80 degree days so some protection from the cold is required during the season.

We always cruise between late November thru May. Since we don't care for hot & humid weather, we would rather cruise when the temperature is in the 70's and 80's down in Mexico.

The heaviest jacket I took & had to wear was a hoodie.

Also the rates are cheaper than in the summer and less kids around hogging the pools.:)

The flip side to your question is: Why would someone cruise during peak season? The only reason I can think of is school schedules.

You are cruising in peak Caribbean season, which is the winter, not the summer as some would believe (summer seems busier because well over half of the ships are in Europe and Alaska).

No flames from me. We actually wonder why people cruise in season if they don't have to due to kids school schedules. We have cruised off season for a couple of reasons: less expensive, the itineraries we wanted were only offered in the off season (Hawaii, Bermuda) and BFs kids are all out of school so there is no reason to cruise exclusively in the summer. We're not locked down to the summer to travel and we're loving it.

DH and I both work on the academic claendar. We SO look forward to retirement so that we can cruise at times other than school vacations!

We almost always cruise in January, except one time in October.

We prefer January for many reasons:

1. Less expensive

2. Less kids

3. The Caribbean is still warm in January, but not as hot as summer probably.

4. It gets us out of the snow, cold and ice we are enduring in Michigan.

5. And it's the best time of the year for my husband to get away.

As others have mentioned, I don't understand those who cruise at peak times when they don't have to (no kids). Or those who book a cruise during college spring break times. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

That is chilly for me, but I have never lived in the north. I understand now. I just always thought most people cruised in the summer, but found out a lot cruise in the winter. Heck, I could cruise 3 times a year at those prices they give. Thanks. :) Just thought it would be too cold for me. Since I am about 20 minutes from the New Orleans port, I could cruise more, but do I want to go to the same ports? I guess not. I would have to fly to a port. I would like to take the New England cruise.

We usually cruise in the fall or deep winter. Why? A few reasons: First, the summer is more expensive to cruise. Plus we live in Maine, and why would you want to leave the coast of Maine to go anywhere else in the summer?:) Second, fall/winter is less expensive, and even if it's a little 'cooler' in florida that time of year for embarkation, it sure beats the 20 below zero temps at our house:)

I can't figure out why someone would really want to cruise in summer. Prices are higher, kids are out of school so there are probably more kids around, hurricanes, etc. The heat wouldn't bother me, but I think the reasons I mentioned would.

At least in winter, you can get away from the cold. You get the same cruise for a lot cheaper. The weather is more likely to be nice.

Of our winter cruises, the only one that was cold was going to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral. Yes, we needed jackets the first day, but if you think Florida is cold in winter, then I challenge you to be a reverse snow bird and move to Minnesota for the winter--Nov. 1 through April 1. I don't think you'd be able to handle it.

We cruise off season all the time...

I don't "sunbathe" so could care less what the temps are....but we have found them to be very comfortable the times we have sailed out of New Orleans after the first day.

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

it's like going through an accelerated spring and fall, depending on the direction.

I am dreaming of the time we can cruise off season. When the kids are with us it has to be in the summer before college and summer high school practices begin.

This past January my DH and I went on the Dream, it was fabulous. In 3 years we will be able to go on a cruise anytime we want as our youngest will start college. I am afraid of how much my cruise addiction will increase!

I want to know what you consider "off season"? :)

For us, summer here in New England is the best time to stay put! I love to cruise in winter to get away from the snow and cold and get some much needed sun. For me, this is PEAK cruising season. So, by my definition:

Summer is off season

Winter is in season

Coming from Canada I also can't imagine cruising the Caribbean in the summer time? The only place I would cruise then would be to Alaska or possibly Europe?

I love getting away in the winter time to get a touch of sun and throw off the boots, coat, hat, mittens, if even for a week! :D:D

For us, summer here in New England is the best time to stay put! I love to cruise in winter to get away from the snow and cold and get some much needed sun. For me, this is PEAK cruising season. So, by my definition:

Summer is off season

Winter is in season

I have to tell you, from about May-September I've never though "wow, stupid Maine coast, with it's idealic weather, cheap lobster, and long days. We really need to get out of this dump during the summer and go cruising to Cozumel where there are a billion tourists kids on vacation and it's 104 degrees!"

We love to cruise in the colder months. It's cheaper, warm and not hot at the islands. Plus it fits our schedule better. Everyone wants off in the summer or at holidays. There's no competition to get off a random week in January or November.

Believe it or not, there are folks who don't cruise for the sun or heat. Some of us just like to be away from Real Life for a week.

Our last two cruises were in September, but now that I opened my little store I can't get away until after the holiday shopping season is over, so January is perfect. Plus, fewer kids means that ours end up with more attention from the staff, although at 14 (and 6'4"!) the Son is planning on becoming best friends with whoever is delivering room service, making the calzones, and/or filling the ice cream machine. :eek::D

It has been several years since I have done this, and in the meantime, I have changed my mind.

A couple times (we live in Missouri) during the winter months we had to wear fairyly heavy coats, although we were headed for a warm climate. When coming back we needed the coats again. I did learn my lesson here. Since my husband doesn't fly, I wear the warm coat and then let him take it home with him and then when he picks me up, to bring it back.

I have also learned another lesson for here in Missouri..........we try to fly out in the springtime, that way we don't have to worry much about bad weather anymore.

Being from KS, the Carribean is just right during fall/winter. We cruise then to escape the cold like others have said. Bonus is less kids cruising. It isn't really cheap for us when you consider we also have to purchase airfare. We probably pay the same or more than you do for off season when you consider the airfare. Looking up flights now for our off season cruise--$350. pp. OUCH I also agree that the summer months would be too hot in the Carribean. We go North during the summer for the cooler temps.

That is one reason I have only cruised out of New Orleans............no plane fare. :) But then again, there are no other ports left for us to go to after this next upcoming cruise. So if I cruise again, it will be probably be October/November or March/April. The money I would save on the cruise could go toward airfare.

Since "off season" for Caribbean cruises, which is what you seem to be referring to, is May through October, I cannot imagine why anyone would have an overcoat on at all.

In season, which is the rest of the year, some ships leave from colder climates to get you to those beautiful, sunny 75 - 80 degree days so some protection from the cold is required during the season.

I am in N. O. and always heard off-season was October through May.

I generally cruise October thru January, mostly because of cost and it has fewer children.

We have always cruise either in October or November. It has been in the 80's when we left the port in Galveston and it was in the 80's in all of the ports we stopped at. The weather is still beautiful in October or November.

I can't figure out why someone would really want to cruise in summer. Prices are higher, kids are out of school so there are probably more kids around, hurricanes, etc. The heat wouldn't bother me, but I think the reasons I mentioned would.

At least in winter, you can get away from the cold. You get the same cruise for a lot cheaper. The weather is more likely to be nice.

Of our winter cruises, the only one that was cold was going to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral. Yes, we needed jackets the first day, but if you think Florida is cold in winter, then I challenge you to be a reverse snow bird and move to Minnesota for the winter--Nov. 1 through April 1. I don't think you'd be able to handle it.

Nope, I know I couldn't handle it :eek:.

Summer is off season

Winter is in season

I always thought most people cruised in the summer and when the rates were low that was off-season. That's what I have heard. I could be wrong though. Guess I should say, cruising when fares are cheaper instead :rolleyes:

This has been a kind of fun thread. Thanks "cruise4jane" I am seeing several other pax from my general vicinity who cruise same time of year that we do. We did try a couple cruises in Feb, but getting to the port can be disastrous when coming from the midwest. So from now on it will be Oct- early Dec for us. I absolutely love the Carribean during our early winter.

PS hope to meet some of you fellow midwesterners onboard sometime. Happy sailing to all-- whatever season you choose.

I can't imagine cruising in "peak" season. The masses of people, the kids, the much higher costs. Not me, my kids are grown and gone from home, why would I want to cruise with other people's kids and pay more to do so!

I could ask the OP who wants to go to the Caribbean when it's 110 degrees in the sun and 100 in the shade? When the water feels like warm body temp? When there are 1300 kids on the ship?

PS: for us Floridians, we don a coat when it's 68!

Archived