Freedom of the Seas Diamond Lounge Review

We were just on Monarch, June 22-29. The daily Diamond Breakfast was in operation as usual during this week, in same location. There is a small buffet line available, as well, in the back of the dining room, for those who like a faster breakfast. Perhaps they are experimenting with the continental replacing the full Diamond Breakfast.

The staff was wonderful, as always!

I beg to differ as we sailed on the Freedom and being Diamond members they still had a special breakfast (champagne/OJ) in the middle of the week.

Thank you RCCL for making it extra special:):)

That was an upper tier event not the D/D+/PC breakfast that is held in the MDR each morning when there is no actual DL on the ship. Two different things.

Just wanted to highlight what Puffinator wrote as these two situations are often confused.

One is an invited one time high tier event, held ONCE during the cruise.

The other is where a portion of the main dining room is used for a breakfast area when there is no Diamond/Concierge lounge on a ship. Generally, the only reason the special breakfast dining room area is needed, is that specialty coffee is offered as complimentary. On ships with a DL or CL , there is no special area in the dining room for D or D+. If you want complementary specialty coffee with a served breakfast on a ship with a D or D+ lounge, get your coffee from the D or D+ lounge and take it to the dining room.

Confused yet? ;)

M

Just wanted to highlight what Puffinator wrote as these two situations are often confused.

One is an invited one time high tier event, held ONCE during the cruise.

The other is where a portion of the main dining room is used for a breakfast area when there is no Diamond/Concierge lounge on a ship. Generally, the only reason the special breakfast dining room area is needed, is that specialty coffee is offered as complimentary. On ships with a DL or CL , there is no special area in the dining room for D or D+. If you want complementary specialty coffee with a served breakfast on a ship with a D or D+ lounge, get your coffee from the D or D+ lounge and take it to the dining room.

Confused yet? ;)

M

I was hoping for the private area in Chops on the Freedom for breakfast but from what I remember it was Suite guests on the Liberty in January. I'm also one that hits the coffee in the D Lounge in the morning for a triple espresso.

Hi, Pitbull1130 and other future FOS cruisers,

Just to clarify, here's the scoop about breakfast on the Freedom as distinguished from what other ships may offer:

1. There is a Diamond Lounge on Freedom. From 8-10a every morning, Continental breakfast is served in the lounge.

2. Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle status guests are invited to take their Windjammer breakfast food into Chops for dining. (This option is also available at lunch.)

3. There is one special breakfast event for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle status guests. It is held in the MDR. An officer or professional staff member is seated at every table. There is a set menu. Mimosas are offered. On the Freedom's Western Caribbean itinerary, this event is generally held at 9:30a the last day of the cruise, which is a sea day.

Hope this helps whet your anticipation for your Freedom cruise! :)

Edited by Artemis

Sherri,

I am not sure how often they get vacation, but I did have a very brief conversations with Rahul about when his next break would be. He mentioned on our cruise that he had gotten back from a break recently from our sailing date. So if they get one every six months you should be able to see his great smile.

I too think he is awesome!!

Colleen -- thanks for the update on Rahul's vacation.

I emailed him a few days before we went on the May cruise and he said that he not only remembered us but a few cruises before, there was a woman in the DL who looked like me and he thought we were back. I loved his evening messages and they way he handled the overflow. We usually sat outside the lounge at one of the tables he commandered.

Hi, Pitbull1130 and other future FOS cruisers,

Just to clarify, here's the scoop about breakfast on the Freedom as distinguished from what other ships may offer:

1. There is a Diamond Lounge on Freedom. From 8-10a every morning, Continental breakfast is served in the lounge.

2. Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle status guests are invited to take their Windjammer breakfast food into Chops for dining. (This option is also available at lunch.)

3. There is one special breakfast event for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle status guests. It is held in the MDR. An officer or professional staff member is seated at every table. There is a set menu. Mimosas are offered. On the Freedom's Western Caribbean itinerary, this event is generally held at 9:30a the last day of the cruise, which is a sea day.

Hope this helps whet your anticipation for your Freedom cruise! :)

The special breakfast is very nice and I think may be unique to Freedom. Wehave other types of events on other ships. I think it used to include Platinium but the D/D+ Pinnacle numbers are growing. They will vary the set menu for you (e.g. had them put the Hollandaise sauce on the side for their version of Eggs Benedict)

• 3 years later...
can one take their daughter to the dl, if their wife does no drink and does not go?

Depends on the Diamond Concierge. Royal's rules say no one under 21 allowed in the lounge during cocktail hour. Guests are usually sent a letter to this effect. However, there are always the "rules are for other people" folks, and the Concierge usually just lets it go.

• 1 year later...

You have stated perfectly a good reason for travelers to become Diamond members. "We really enjoyed the Diamond lounge on the FOS". In my conversations with Royal Caribbean, they really do not get what it means to be a "Diamond" members for they are always trying to reduce something. I hope one day an executive with Royal Caribbean will realize how important it is to Diamond and above members to receive a "touch" more attention...an attention that doesn't cost a lot of money. i.e., special line for boarding the ship, luggage tags that say "diamond", a special place for breakfast even on ship with a Diamond Lounge, etc.

. This is a greatI recently returned from a 7 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. There have been quite a few posts/threads relating the Diamond Lounge. I was urged to write a review of the Diamond Lounge by other CC members, so here it is.

· The Diamond Lounge on FOS is located on deck 14 adjacent to Olive or Twist. What Royal did is to partition off a section of the Viking Lounge, and built the lounge. The lounge is accessible to Diamond members by using their Sea pass. The Diamond Concierge who currently runs the Diamond Lounge is Mr. Rahul Barua. Rahul is a very professional, knowledgeable, polite, helpful and just a wonderful person.

In the morning, continental style breakfast is offered with various pastries, fruits, bagels and such. I usually went in to just get a triple espresso and get out. There is a specialty coffee machine and various tea bags available 24/7.

In the evening, from 4:30 to 8:00, the Diamond lounge serves wine, champagne, bottled beer and mixed drinks along with hot and cold hors d'oeurves.

I observed during my cruise that many suite guests and diamond plus cruisers opted to utilize the Diamond Lounge instead of the Concierge lounge. Those that I talked to told me that they preferred the Diamond lounge over the Concierge lounge because they thought the Diamond Lounge was much nicer. Since the Diamond lounge has a fabulous ocean view, IMHO, it is better than the Concierge Lounge with no windows.

We really enjoyed the Diamond lounge on the FOS. It truly was one of the highlights of our experience on the Freedom of the Seas.

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

I will post some pictures shortly

The ORIGINAL post is FIVE years old. I suspect some things have probably changed. Sorry, but having some luggage tag saying "Diamond" doesn't do it for me. My room key card says "Diamond" too and that doesn't do much service-wise IMO.

Depends on the Diamond Concierge. Royal's rules say no one under 21 allowed in the lounge during cocktail hour. Guests are usually sent a letter to this effect. However, there are always the "rules are for other people" folks, and the Concierge usually just lets it go.

This is why there is so little respect for authority, etc. in today's world. Since no one feels they have to obey or respect the rules. It is for "other" people not them. If the rule is no one under 21, it is the responsibility of the Diamond Concierge to politely,say, "Sorry, I would like to let you into the lounge, but the rule is no one under 21 and if I let you in, then, i would have to let in the other minors. I'm sure you can understand."

It is all about respect!

Five plus years ago it was asked if Suite Guest (Gold Cards) had access to the DL without being Diamond.

From our experience, yes. Before Diamond, we typically stay in GS and our cards opened the DL on at least 2 ships we were on. Only access was for coffee when machine in CL was busy or offline.

On Freedom two weeks ago, only PC members had access to the DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Five plus years ago it was asked if Suite Guest (Gold Cards) had access to the DL without being Diamond.

From our experience, yes. Before Diamond, we typically stay in GS and our cards opened the DL on at least 2 ships we were on. Only access was for coffee when machine in CL was busy or offline.

On Freedom two weeks ago, only PC members had access to the DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't it a given that Pinnacle (along with Diamond Plus and Diamond) would have access to the DL? IMO suite guests (gold cards) shouldn't be allowed in the DL if they aren't at least Diamond.

Isn't it a given that Pinnacle (along with Diamond Plus and Diamond) would have access to the DL?

Yes, but I have seen a ship create an additional lounge just for Pinnacle level, and leave the DL for D and D+.

Yes, but I have seen a ship create an additional lounge just for Pinnacle level, and leave the DL for D and D+.

Thanks for the clarification. We won't need to be concerned about our Pinnacle status and what lounge we'll be using for many, many more years. :D