Use the cruise shampoo, or bring own?

seluased

Cruise is two months away and the packing list is starting!

What are folks thoughts on the NCL-provided shampoo/conditioner and other bathroom amenities? Do you use them, or bring your own? What can one expect to find in the bathroom? Lotion? (speaking specifically on the Dawn in a basic stateroom; not a suite or anything). Thanks!

I never bring stuff that I know I will have in my cabin, it makes my luggage less heavy and my wash bag thinner :D. It makes no difference to me what type of shampoo I use. I do notice when it is a combo shamp/cond that I wash end up washing my hair more frequently. I have very long, straight hair.

NCL doesn't have a separate conditioner, the lotion was fine.

We use what the cruise line provides, but we book ourselves into a suite so we get shampoo, conditioner and the body wash - we like the stuff in the suite. My DH brings his own bars of soap because he doesn't like using the shower wash stuff or the cruise line soap - but I use the shower gel at home. Just one less thing for us to think about packing/hauling in luggage.

I often chuckle at this.

Apparently, people are rather fussy about what shampoo they use. Last time I looked at Walgreens, there were easily over 100 different bottles there. Then all the speciality stuff at hair salons that people spend big bucks on. Also a large number of soap options.

Yet, when they cruise, they will use whatever is available.

LOL!

I often chuckle at this.

Apparently, people are rather fussy about what shampoo they use. Last time I looked at Walgreens, there were easily over 100 different bottles there. Then all the speciality stuff at hair salons that people spend big bucks on. Also a large number of soap options.

Yet, when they cruise, they will use whatever is available.

LOL!

That is why I hate shopping! I just get what is on sale that I have a coupon for :p

What are folks thoughts on the NCL-provided shampoo/conditioner and other bathroom amenities? Do you use them, or bring your own? What can one expect to find in the bathroom? Lotion? (speaking specifically on the Dawn in a basic stateroom; not a suite or anything). Thanks!

I bring my own - just because I prefer it. My husband uses the NCL provided stuff.

They use to use Elemis products in all cabins but now its only in the suites. This is an expensive product but often folks didn't like it because they are not accustomed to high end shampoos.

They are also back to using the no name NCL hand lotion which is very greasy in all the cabins except suites were they still use Elemis lotion which is really good stuff.

So now if we are not in a suite we bring along a bar of Dove.

No lotions unless you are in a suite.

The shampoo is in a dispenser in the shower. No conditioner. Also a body wash is provided. You can ask your cabin steward for bar soap but I just bring my own also.

In the shower, there are two containers, one with a combination shampoo and conditioner and the other is a body wash. I prefer my own brand of shampoo and conditioner, so I bring my own, although my husband does not mind what NCL supplies. I also hate body wash, so I bring a bar of soap, but since this is a 16 day cruise, I will probably have to bring two.

Love the soap and shampoo in the suites... :)

And I'd use what's in the normal cabins too. But I'm not too picky. Although I really prefer a bar of soap over body wash.

But my partner always brings his own bar of soap or body wash and shampoo.

We always use the NCL supplied lotion and shampoo. If you ask your cabin steward for a bar of soap, it will magically appear. We've had Elemis products provided in all of our cabins - from OV's to suites. Although the suites are provided with larger sized bottles. I don't quite understand the reasoning.

The Elemis products are sold in the spa and the prices are astronomical. :eek:

The combo shampoo/conditioner still needs a separate conditioner IMO so I pack that. The showergel was fine but this last cruise I asked my steward for a bar of soap and conditioner, just to see. He gave me the Elemis products. i love the way they smell but the little conditioner bottle was almost impossible to get the product out. It ended up breaking from me banging it upside down...

They don't provide lotion and while I normally don't use any the pools and sun required it. Luckily I had gotten some from a Dollar Store...

HECK NO!!! why would I want to smell like everybody else on the ship....bring your own.....:D

I use the stuff in the dispensers for body wash. I bring my own conditioner (and bar soap for the Hubby). Actually I don't bring it - I buy it at a local store the day before to bring on and leave the left overs to save weight when flying. Next trip out of NY - I don't know about drugstores locally there - but I would like to know. It was easy cruising from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and San Juan to pick up things you don't want to fly with..

So in the cabins are dispensers, not bottles? I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Think I'll bring my own (the little travel sized ones). Thanks!

If you look in the photo attached, on the left hand side you will see the dispenser. Considering NCL's fleet has anywhere from 1000 - 2000 cabins, to store that many tiny bottles to accomodate all of the cabins for the length of the cruise would take up a lot of space. I'm sure it is much more economical and frees up much needed storage space on the ships to just replenish as needed from gallon jugs.

I think if you are particular about the product you use, you are much better to bring your own. Then when you have used it up, you can toss the little bottles leaving more room in your bags for souvenirs if you wish to bring some home.

IMGP0822.jpg.d21bd1fca5dc4e7a1f4b69d7c464841a.jpg

I use the stuff in the dispensers for body wash. I bring my own conditioner (and bar soap for the Hubby). Actually I don't bring it - I buy it at a local store the day before to bring on and leave the left overs to save weight when flying. Next trip out of NY - I don't know about drugstores locally there - but I would like to know. It was easy cruising from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and San Juan to pick up things you don't want to fly with..

We have tons of drugstores here in NYC!

The most common one is called Duane Reade and there are a few near the cruise port.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=duane+reade&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=53.660079,76.201172&near=Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal,+711+12th+Avenue,+New+York,+NY+10019&geocode=CUNjfICdfAp0FRETbgId_uaW-yEZsTpvL9vnMymLW30bFVrCiTEZsTpvL9vnMw&dq=NYC+cruise+port&hq=duane+reade&t=h&z=15

If that link worked it should take you to a google map that shows the cruise port and the duane reade's nearby.

We also have Rite Aid, CVS and many independent stores. I'm sure there will be one convenient for you.

Oh and I usually bring my own shampoo, conditioner and body wash because I don't like the idea of using something in a big container that has been there for who knows how long. But we're in a suite in October so maybe I'll just use the Elemis products. They sound nice.

So in the cabins are dispensers, not bottles? I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Think I'll bring my own (the little travel sized ones). Thanks!

It is economical and helps the environment.

Usually but I've had both and I've not stayed in a suite.

Personally I bring my own. I like to know what I'm using so unless it comes with an ingredients list I don't put it on my hair.

I have skin allergies so I don't take a chance and bring my own. However, I liked the shower caddy/dispenser idea so much that I purchased one for my own shower. It is much nicer than having a bunch of bottles falling about in the shower. :)

Archived