Help Discount TA ?

Lrob

Hello All: Reading these boards I learned that a discount online TA can save money on Princess bookings. Thank you all. I have looked on the net and found a BB A plus rated agency in the US and noted here on CC website. They do have a good discount on a room I just booked for a Panama Canal cruise. I would like to tranfer the booking. BUT - I am nervous about this. When I worked as a DA (what most people call them - in my home state it is assistant state's attorney, but most people don't use that term) there were several criminal cases involving travel agencies who made off with the goods and did not provide the service. Even absent criminal intent,the economy stinks and bankruptcy could be an issue. What is the best way to protect myself and use the discount TA? I would love to book with TA and pay Princess directly, but this doesn't look like an option from reading the website.

I may be paranoid. A real hazard of my work (criminal law). Please talk me down, affirm my concerns or offer solutions - all ideas welcomed and appreciated.

It makes me nervous, too for the same reason. We have used three different on line travel agencies. We have never had a problem. (knock wood).

However, I don't think I get as good a price as some people and am still trying to find the best deal. We do OK, though, and never pay the list price for a cruise. Once I find someone I am comfortable with, I tend to use them again. I understand I may not be getting the best deal, but the comfort of knowing that the person I am using has been honest so far goes a long way with me.

Meanwhile, I keep looking for THAT travel agent that will give us the best prices and who I don't have to worry about. I would rather use a brick and mortar here at home that has been in business for long time, but haven't found one competive on price yet. My parents use a TA with an office for the reasons you suggest, but every time I go along with them, we pay hundreds of dollars more than I can get on line. It just isn't worth it to me. It is unfortunate that we can't get recommendations on this site, because I know that the people who cruise a lot (not us unfortunately) must be getting better deals than I do.

I could be wrong, but I think that if you use a relatively big on line TA, and use a CC, you should have some measure of protection. Also, check immediately after you make payment, to make sure that cruise line has the payment applied.

Good Luck,

Ohiodoglover

Use a credit card (so you are protected) and ask if the credit card charge is done through the cruise line. If they say it goes through their office, use a different agency.

That is probably the best way to protect yourself from fraud.

~Doris~

I just switched TAs because the one I had been using for years and was quite happy with is no longer discounting Princess fares. I found a new one that is discounting heavily, but checked them out before even calling them.

Go to the BBB.org site to investigate. Also Google the TA's business name to see if there are negative reviews. Ask whether credit card billings are done by the agency or Princess...you want Princess to do the billing.

Use common sense and you should be okay...

Lew

My experience with tas was not good so I stick with PVC or pcc from cruise lines .so far I have gotten great prices and great upgrades all you need to do is ask for one .i have one with every company ...personal cruise consultant or personal vacation planner ...each company calls them something like that call ask for one

My friends use travel agents but I always got the best price

Michele

our first Princess cruise was with a HUGE on-line, done at last minute, we had some service problems, not a dedicated ta or rep assigned to us.

after that, he had found CC and back then you could get recommendations for ta's. He picked one that had great reviews and we have been using her company ever since.

Like the others mentioned, our credit card payment goes to the cruise line, not the ta.

It's an on-line company that also has a brick and mortar location, although it is many states away from us.

When we call, which I sometimes do, we get one of 3 people answering the phone.

Over the last 12 years we've had service from fantastic to just great and the prices are almost always fabulous and usually significantly lower(although once the difference was only about $100 pp + on board credit of $50) than what we have been quoted from a friend who owns a ta (that we still use on the rare occasion our vacay is not a cruise), from auto clubs, from big box stores, and even other on-line places.

Their BB rating is wonderful, too.

I've found that whenever I have concerns about a company, I goggle their name with the word problems after it. And then I read what I find and consider the source and what, if any the problems are.

we do get independent insurance, and I try to pick A+ rated companies, although one I used to go with is one that had to be bailed out :(

I think just knowing you are somewhat sceptical will help make sure you don't get burned.

Questions to ask a TA are (and get the answers in writing): is payment made directly to Princess or put into the company account and paid by the TA? Are there any fees for a change or modification to a booking? (There shouldn't be.) How soon before Princess final payment do they request payment? (The good TAs ask for payment a week before, the bad ones two or more weeks before.)

The absolutely most important thing when using a TA is your comfort and trust. I've found that there's a perception that you have to use a large online TA to get the best prices. Not true. In my experience, they are pretty much sweat shops with very high TA turnover because the TAs are under pressure to book a lot of cruises. You will likely deal with a new rep every few months. :( The big online TAs also tend to charge change fees because they cut their margins so thin. I had one that charged me $25 to change my booking from open to fixed seating because they'd booked it wrong in the first place. I'm sure there are some that aren't like this but I suspect they are the exception. There are some small discount TAs who work for themselves, have little or no overhead, and depend on your satisfaction and word of mouth for new and repeat business.

Hello All: Reading these boards I learned that a discount online TA can save money on Princess bookings. Thank you all. I have looked on the net and found a BB A plus rated agency in the US and noted here on CC website. They do have a good discount on a room I just booked for a Panama Canal cruise. I would like to tranfer the booking. BUT - I am nervous about this. When I worked as a DA (what most people call them - in my home state it is assistant state's attorney, but most people don't use that term) there were several criminal cases involving travel agencies who made off with the goods and did not provide the service. Even absent criminal intent,the economy stinks and bankruptcy could be an issue. What is the best way to protect myself and use the discount TA? I would love to book with TA and pay Princess directly, but this doesn't look like an option from reading the website.

I may be paranoid. A real hazard of my work (criminal law). Please talk me down, affirm my concerns or offer solutions - all ideas welcomed and appreciated.

Although you can't ask for TA recommendations on Cruise Critic, you can ask for recommendations from your fellow cruisers once you are on-board. I always ask the people at our table (we have fixed dining) and others on-board how they booked their cruise, if they are happy with their TA, and if they would recommend them. There are a lot of very experienced cruisers on-board. I like to have more than one to contact when I am booking (or looking) for a cruise.

Pam's recommendations are excellent. We also use a small, personal on-line TA and are very happy.

There are some small discount TAs who work for themselves, have little or no overhead, and depend on your satisfaction and word of mouth for new and repeat business.

This is the type of agent I use. Small office that is located across the country but is available via phone and/or email (whichever I prefer). I don't consider these "online agents" as I deal with a real person and can call or email her whenever I want. She works long hours, 7 days a week often and responds quickly to requests and does far more in sales compared to brick and mortar travel agents where I live. I have used my agent for 14 years and no regrets.

I agree with what Pam says. Especially about change fees - that is ridiculous. Our local auto-insurance/travel club charges a booking fee. I would steer away from these companies.

My friends use travel agents but I always got the best price

With all due respect, your friends should find new TAs. Unless they need and receive excellent personalized service, their paying more than you do directly through the line is, um, stupid.

I have a TA who gives me the (limited) service I need, and saved me, including fare discount and OBCs, something like 12% over direct booking on my upcoming cruise. (I know, because I transferred my direct-with-Princess booking to her.) And when the fare went down, she was able to refare instantly in a sold-out category, which I think might be bending the official rules. (It is a large agency, but I've been dealing with the same agent for a couple years, if she's sick or not around, there's always someone to handle my issues, and there are no booking or change fees. Since she books a lot of Princess groups, she gets some really good deals.)

But since Princess' profits underwrite my low fares and boost the price of my CCL stock, maybe I should shut up. :p

But since Princess' profits underwrite my low fares and boost the price of my CCL stock, maybe I should shut up. :p
Cabin fares are loss leaders. Cruise lines barely break even, if they do at all, based on cabin fares. Profit comes from onboard spending. That's why there are so many "for fee" restaurants and services.

And when the fare went down, she was able to refare instantly in a sold-out category, which I think might be bending the official rules. (It is a large agency, but I've been dealing with the same agent for a couple years, if she's sick or not around, there's always someone to handle my issues, and there are no booking or change fees. Since she books a lot of Princess groups, she gets some really good deals.)

This is not bending the news. I have been able to have this done before.

Questions to ask a TA are (and get the answers in writing): is payment made directly to Princess or put into the company account and paid by the TA? Are there any fees for a change or modification to a booking? (There shouldn't be.) How soon before Princess final payment do they request payment? (The good TAs ask for payment a week before, the bad ones two or more weeks before.)

Also ask if there is any charge from the TA itself if you need to cancel (there shouldn't be). Of course any cancellation charge from the cruise company would still apply.

And ask who you can contact when your normal contact is unavailable and how to handle a problem that occurs on a weekend.

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have followed your advice and have come up with the following:

TA does charge $ 100.00 cancellation fee on the booking.

Fees are paid directly to Princess account by TA - does not go into TA account.

TA is online (on CC site here and does have a brick and mortar as well a few hours from me)

TA has A+ BBB rating, has been in business for a long time and has few complaints (there are two I could find, but I am ok with what I read).

TA is saving me $1300.00 total (Apples to Apples comparison) for full suite on 15 day cruise.

This amount of money is too much for me to ignore so I have switched the booking.

I also shopped around and did find TA prices to be better by at least $500.00 (some of that was by giving OBC and not discounts on the fare - good either way).

Thanks to all for the help - Panama here we come.

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have followed your advice and have come up with the following:

TA does charge $ 100.00 cancellation fee on the booking.

Fees are paid directly to Princess account by TA - does not go into TA account.

TA is online (on CC site here and does have a brick and mortar as well a few hours from me)

TA has A+ BBB rating, has been in business for a long time and has few complaints (there are two I could find, but I am ok with what I read).

TA is saving me $1300.00 total (Apples to Apples comparison) for full suite on 15 day cruise.

This amount of money is too much for me to ignore so I have switched the booking.

I also shopped around and did find TA prices to be better by at least $500.00 (some of that was by giving OBC and not discounts on the fare - good either way).

Thanks to all for the help - Panama here we come.

I'm glad you're happy and looking forward to your cruise. That's the most important thing. If the $1,300 is per-person, then it's a pretty good deal. If it's $650/pp, then you really can do better. However, the $100 cancelation fee is a red flag to me as the good TAs don't charge. It tells me that they have a big overhead and thin margins. :( While on your cruise, go to the Meet & Greet or ask other passengers for TA recommendations. You can do better with a TA who gives you the discount and doesn't charge the cancelation fee. Oh, and don't forget to get insurance.

If you originally book with Princess and than change over to a TA does princess charge a fee for trfr to TA or any fee for moving the reservation to somewhere else instead of remaining with Princess.

If you originally book with Princess and than change over to a TA does princess charge a fee for trfr to TA or any fee for moving the reservation to somewhere else instead of remaining with Princess.
No. Princess doesn't charge a fee other than if you have a name/passenger change after final payment. That makes it easy to spot whether a TA charges a fee. If a TA wants to charge you to transfer the booking, run, don't walk, away from them.

Archived