USA internal filght baggage

injebreck99

We will be first time cruisers to Alaska in June 2013, we will be flying from Heathrow UK to Seattle , then next day an internal flight to Fairbanks.As we will be charged the equivalent of $11,500 for the two of us for the cruise/tour, is it unreasonable to expect us to pay any additional luggage charges for internal flights, it is not the cost, which we don't know yet, but the principle of it.

We don't know which airline we will be using yet, but anyone know the charges for approximately our cases which coud be approximately 50lbs each.?

Seattle to Fairbanks is not an International flight. In the USA; it's a domestic flight. Alaska doesn't count as International. Uk to USA is the international portion.

I did say that it was an internal flight, I know that Seattle and Fairbanks are US destinations. I suppose Alaska airlines are the loical choice for the trip,will check out baggage prices via the link given.

Still don't think we should pay extra considering the high cost of the overall holiday, and we were not told at booking of any additional charges.

Unfortnately, you will probably pay baggage fees. Even those of us who live in the US complain about these fees.

It would be the same if we went to Europe and flew domestically in Europe. From what people have reported, the weight restrictions within Europe are very strict.

Hope you love Alaska - it is gorgeous!

I did say that it was an internal flight, I know that Seattle and Fairbanks are US destinations. I suppose Alaska airlines are the loical choice for the trip,will check out baggage prices via the link given.

Still don't think we should pay extra considering the high cost of the overall holiday, and we were not told at booking of any additional charges.

On our last trip, the tour company burrie in all the other stuff, that we would be responsible for the baggage charges, if any. We were also paying in excess of $10,000.

Luggage charges are zero to $50 depending on the airline. Some give a discount if you pay over the internet in advance. Limit is usually 50 pounds. The cost jumps in you are over that.

Keep those bags under 50 lbs. and expect to pay $25 for each.

We will be first time cruisers to Alaska in June 2013, we will be flying from Heathrow UK to Seattle , then next day an internal flight to Fairbanks.As we will be charged the equivalent of $11,500 for the two of us for the cruise/tour, is it unreasonable to expect us to pay any additional luggage charges for internal flights, it is not the cost, which we don't know yet, but the principle of it.

We don't know which airline we will be using yet, but anyone know the charges for approximately our cases which coud be approximately 50lbs each.?

You'll probably have to pay for the SEA to Fairbanks flight because staying in Seattle it probably would be considered a separate flight & thus additional luggage fees. I'd suggest checking with whoever you've booked your flights with to get a definitive answer.

I think the additional fees/taxes to fly to the UK to be 'unreasonable' but that's a different issue. Having to pay over $300/pp in fees/taxes for a 'free' frequent flyer flight on BA to Europe is unreasonable to me. ;)

If the flight to Alaska is part of the same ticketing as your International flight, then the limits and costs of the International flight should apply.

In other words, if the bag is free internationally, it will be free on your flight to Alaska if it is part of the same ticketing.

Returning home, the international rule will still apply, again as long as the same ticketing is involved.

However, if your US internal flights are booked seperately from the international flight, the US airline luggage fees will apply.

As it says on the Alaska Airlines web site: Customers making international connections to other airlines within twelve hours of arriving in the connection city, may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.

Having to pay over $300/pp in fees/taxes for a 'free' frequent flyer flight on BA to Europe is unreasonable to me. ;)

Amen to that! Last time I get a BA credit card. Oh well, there are always American flights to use the miles on.

And to the OP: US airlines will charge economy passengers the same $25 to check a bag whether they've paid $50 for your ticket or $1000. Look at this way: you're being dinged an additional .004% of your trip expenses. Or this way: Princess charges the same for a drink whether you're in a heavily discounted inside cabin or a full-price suite.

Or this way: at least you won't be flying Ryanair.

If the flight to Alaska is part of the same ticketing as your International flight, then the limits and costs of the International flight should apply.

In other words, if the bag is free internationally, it will be free on your flight to Alaska if it is part of the same ticketing.

Returning home, the international rule will still apply, again as long as the same ticketing is involved.

However, if your US internal flights are booked seperately from the international flight, the US airline luggage fees will apply.

As it says on the Alaska Airlines web site: Customers making international connections to other airlines within twelve hours of arriving in the connection city, may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.

Bill is correct. If your internal US flight is a continuation of your flight from Heathrow, international baggage policies apply. If the domestic US flight is a separate flight with a different booking # than your flight from LHR, US baggage policies apply.

Here's an example: last February, I booked flights going from LAX to MIA, MIA to Lima, Lima to Guayaquil, Guayaquil to Galapagos, then six days later from Galapagos to Guayaquil then on to Santiago... all on one ticket with the same booking #. Several flights were domestic US or "internal" within Ecuador but because the ticket included international flights, the international baggage weight limits applied.

Clear as mud? :)

Pam is, as ever, right. If you can arrange your booking thru one airline site, the domestic portion should not incur extra baggage fees. We found this out by flying from Manchester NH to Philadelphia, then to London. There was no baggage fee for the leg to Phila.

Steve

Keep those bags under 50 lbs. and expect to pay $25 for each.

Absolutely! We flew first class on Alaska Airlines this past January, so our baggage fee was included in our ticket. However, we were asked to "re-pack" until our bags were under 50 lbs on their scale. Our bags initially weighed 52 lbs.

The info provided by caribill is correct.

Bill and Pam are right about your luggage. Unless you are doing a stopover (where you pick up your luggage) in Seattle, your bags will be checked through to Fairbanks.

As a side note, be sure to cross pack so that if one of your bags is lost or delayed, you'll have a mixture of clothes in each suitcase. We had this happen going to Africa and I was stuck in my traveling clothes for 3 days! :rolleyes: Now I carry two days worth in my carry on!

Bill and Pam are right about your luggage. Unless you are doing a stopover (where you pick up your luggage) in Seattle, your bags will be checked through to Fairbanks.

Any flight arriving from overseas requires you to pick up your luggage in order to go through US customs. For those continuing on, the luggage is then given back to an airline.

Thanks you for all the information, we are arriving by BA from Heathrow, after an overnight in Seattle we board the internal flight to Fairbanks, the flights were presumably booked by Princess as we are doing all the land tour/cruise with them, I am not annoyed at the amount we will have to pay, but the fact that we thought that the price we paid included everything, we were not told when booking that there would be additional baggage charges, or any other charges, what else may they suddenly say, 'Oh, we forgot, you will have to pay ......@ !!

Hi

You will have to pay for yor baggage with Alaska Airlines. I flew from Heathrow to Seattle, stayed there for 1 night and then the next day flew from Seattle to Anchorage.

Princess does not tell you about the baggage charge as it varies from airline to airline. It does say on the air confirmation to check with the airline.

I last did this flight 2 years ago and it was $20 per bag. But I would expect to pay more than that now.

:D:D

Thanks you for all the information, we are arriving by BA from Heathrow, after an overnight in Seattle we board the internal flight to Fairbanks, the flights were presumably booked by Princess as we are doing all the land tour/cruise with them, I am not annoyed at the amount we will have to pay, but the fact that we thought that the price we paid included everything, we were not told when booking that there would be additional baggage charges, or any other charges, what else may they suddenly say, 'Oh, we forgot, you will have to pay ......@ !!

Have you heard about the autotip charge yet? :o

Princess does not tell you about the baggage charge as it varies from airline to airline. It does say on the air confirmation to check with the airline.
To my knowledge, Princess doesn't include airline or personal baggage fees. There are too many variables plus they have no way of knowing how much your luggage will weigh. Airlines have different regulations and First/Business Class have different policies from Coach. When Princess or any other cruise line packages your air with the cruise, they are just the booking agent for the air and have no control over whatever policies an airline might have.

Have you heard about the autotip charge yet? :o

Yes, I have become aware of auto tipping, here in the UK this does not happen, we tip an individual for above average service, we don't like being told we have to pay auto tips,a few restaurants try it on, we don't frequent them, they should pay staff a reasonable base rate, then the staff has to be very good to justify extra tips, I have been to the US and Canada many times, and tipping gets me going.:mad:

Any flight arriving from overseas requires you to pick up your luggage in order to go through US customs. For those continuing on, the luggage is then given back to an airline.

Most of the time, but not always. One example is if you're arriving from an airport where there is US Pre-clearance, you don't have to do this when you arrive in the US.

Seattle to Fairbanks is not an International flight. In the USA; it's a domestic flight. Alaska doesn't count as International. Uk to USA is the international portion.

The OP referred to an "internal" (domestic) flight, not an international one.

don't think we should pay extra considering the high cost of the overall holiday, and we were not told at booking of any additional charges.

Whether you paid $1000 or $20,000 for the cruise is not the concern of the airline, so why would you expect them to waive baggage fees:confused:? Baggage fees are an add-on; not all pax need to check bags, so the fee is paid only by those who do. Should Princess include an extra $25 to cover airline baggage fees no matter what? Bet that would upset those who don't need to check bags. (or those like you, possibly, whose baggage fees are already waived due to being on an international flight)

I am not annoyed at the amount we will have to pay, but the fact that we thought that the price we paid included everything, we were not told when booking that there would be additional baggage charges, or any other charges, what else may they suddenly say, 'Oh, we forgot, you will have to pay ......@ !!

How 'bout drinks on the ship? Will you be annoyed when you find out those are not included in your vacation price? Or excursions? Or spa services?

The OP referred to an "internal" (domestic) flight, not an international one.

Whether you paid $1000 or $20,000 for the cruise is not the concern of the airline, so why would you expect them to waive baggage fees:confused:? Baggage fees are an add-on; not all pax need to check bags, so the fee is paid only by those who do. Should Princess include an extra $25 to cover airline baggage fees no matter what? Bet that would upset those who don't need to check bags. (or those like you, possibly, whose baggage fees are already waived due to being on an international flight)

How 'bout drinks on the ship? Will you be annoyed when you find out those are not included in your vacation price? Or excursions? Or spa services?

We already knew about onboard services because they were pointed out at booking!!

Archived