Age Discrimination

Floridiana

A forest hike is advertised as minimum age 4 and maximum age 65 .... So a 4 year old can do what a 65 year old can't? It's one of the shore excursions on St. Kitts. Did anyone take a hike on St. Kitts? Not the 6 hour volcano one but the 4 hour tour with a stop at the batik factory.

A forest hike is advertised as minimum age 4 and maximum age 65 .... So a 4 year old can do what a 65 year old can't? It's one of the shore excursions on St. Kitts. Did anyone take a hike on St. Kitts? Not the 6 hour volcano one but the 4 hour tour with a stop at the batik factory.

Sometimes. Others the 65 year old can do what a 4 year old can't like drink alcohol legally. :D Celebrity doesn't set the tour restrictions the company providing the tour does. Celebrity is merely the messenger.

I can tell you there is a reason. I took the ship sponsored tour of the Mayan ruins in Belize. It had restrictions due to the 90 minute bus ride and then 90 minute boat ride to the countryside of Belize to these particular ruins (Lamanai) and being mobile was an absolute requirement. There was an older couple that couldn't navigate the bus steps let alone on and off the boat or hike to the ruins without major assistance. They complained the entire time about there not being assistance for them or that the activity was wheelchair accessible.

On some activities there is no time to slow down for participants with mobility issues. One must be able to move on their own at a decent pace. I think residents of the USA are used to ADA laws requiring handicap accessibility and forget that few other countries have such laws and ancient sites are historically preserved in their state for a reason. Adding elevators, ramps, etc takes away from that historical value.

There is plenty to do in the ports even if one or two excursions are limited by requirements to participate.

Great example at why.

This is a great tour btw.

Sometimes. Others the 65 year old can do what a 4 year old can't like drink alcohol legally. :D Celebrity doesn't set the tour restrictions the company providing the tour does. Celebrity is merely the messenger.

I can tell you there is a reason. I took the ship sponsored tour of the Mayan ruins in Belize. It had restrictions due to the 90 minute bus ride and then 90 minute boat ride to the countryside of Belize to these particular ruins (Lamanai) and being mobile was an absolute requirement. There was an older couple that couldn't navigate the bus steps let alone on and off the boat or hike to the ruins without major assistance. They complained the entire time about there not being assistance for them or that the activity was wheelchair accessible.

On some activities there is no time to slow down for participants with mobility issues. One must be able to move on their own at a decent pace. I think residents of the USA are used to ADA laws requiring handicap accessibility and forget that few other countries have such laws and ancient sites are historically preserved in their state for a reason. Adding elevators, ramps, etc takes away from that historical value.

There is plenty to do in the ports even if one or two excursions are limited by requirements to participate.

When a tour say "Strenuous" this really says all you need to know.

If they want to make it clear that it isn't for everyone- they need to state "People with pre-existing health conditions that make it impossible to climb, hike and withstand temperatures over 90 degrees- will not be permitted on the tour".

I apologize for some of the people in our age group.We are 84 and 86 and dearly love cruising but you really need to know and accept your limitations.I cannot even imagine wanting to go on some of the trips mentioned above.The cruise ships provide so many things that make cruising doable why push your luck.Give me my kindle, the uncrowded pool,my balcony and I am happy---almost forgot, add an extra dry Bombay sapphire martini and I am in heaven.

I apologize for some of the people in our age group.We are 84 and 86 and dearly love cruising but you really need to know and accept your limitations.I cannot even imagine wanting to go on some of the trips mentioned above.The cruise ships provide so many things that make cruising doable why push your luck.Give me my kindle, the uncrowded pool,my balcony and I am happy---almost forgot, add an extra dry Bombay sapphire martini and I am in heaven.

I like the way you think!

I'm only 60 but I'm carrying around an extra 100 lbs. Hopefully it will be less by the time we cruise in Feb. but my track record isn't good.

I really think the arbitrary age limits actually make the cruise line and tour company more apt to get sued because that doesn't address the real issue of limited mobility. The tour does say strenuous but if they really want to drive home the restrictions- they should state that instead of the age limits for adults because not all adults are created equal.

I really think the arbitrary age limits actually make the cruise line and tour company more apt to get sued because that doesn't address the real issue of limited mobility. The tour does say strenuous but if they really want to drive home the restrictions- they should state that instead of the age limits for adults because not all adults are created equal.

Not everyone is sue happy!

As someone previously said, it's likely due to the tour operator's insurance and liability. And, what part of "strenuous" is ambiguous and needs defining? A strenuous hike sounds pretty clear to me it's not a stroll in the park given where it is.

I am just saying that most cruise lines do want to limit liability and so they need to make it clear that this tour is not for anyone in less than tip top health. Using 340 pounds as the maximum weight flies in the face of this. So it is really confusing on that score. But any normal person would know that a strenuous tour is not for the weak.

I am just saying that most cruise lines do want to limit liability and so they need to make it clear that this tour is not for anyone in less than tip top health. Using 340 pounds as the maximum weight flies in the face of this. So it is really confusing on that score. But any normal person would know that a strenuous tour is not for the weak.

There is always the problem of folks who refuse to accept that they have issues and expects that the tour will wait for them or should accomodate their needs. No one reads the agreement they sign when booking a tour....and most everyone (not everyone) will find the ship at fault if there is any problem....I have seen people upset because they couldn't fit in the bathroom on the tour bus. This is, unfortunately, today's reality.

As someone previously said, it's likely due to the tour operator's insurance and liability. And, what part of "strenuous" is ambiguous and needs defining? A strenuous hike sounds pretty clear to me it's not a stroll in the park given where it is.

The problem comes with the definition of strenous. We were on the Silhouette in August and a jeep safari in Malta was classes as strenous. Fair enough it wasn't a laid back, relax and chill trip, but it was nowhere near the hike up Vesuvius we did (at a blistering pace) the next day - that was also classed as strenuous. I did suggest that they should have an 'only for the faint hearted' category as well ;)

PS we loved both excursions - the Vesuvius one was wonderful the ascent was really really hard going !!

The point is: If a 4 year old and a 339 pound person are allowed on it, it is not in the same category of strenuous as the hike up onto the volcano in St. Kitts. We have done various moderate hikes in the Caribbean and elsewhere and will do more on our next trip to Mayan ruins in Belize and Guatemala. We are just beyond the cut-off age of 65 and in decent shape. We also have a good grip on what we can do and what we better not attempt.

On the websites of other cruiselines, I have never seen age restrictions but instead precise descriptions of how many steps to navigate, rough terrain etc. for the benefit of those with mobility issues. True, some people take excursions beyond their abilities despite the description. They could be my 87 year old neighbor on her way up Mount Vesuvio (she made it up and slowly down again on her own) or a 30 year old youngster with a broken leg.

We have been to St. Kitts before and will very likely use the same company that took us into the mountains last time. (Greg's Safari) That excursion was offered by Azamara. Greg describes his forest hike as moderate and his volcano hike as strenuous.

I agree, I have never seen this on any cruise line, just a degree of difficulty. That makes more sense. Someone can be 40 and has no business dealing with a big hike, and someone can be 70 and beat most anyone half his age.

Personally I do look at them as I have a very low tolerance to heat, and my choices are made on that.

I agree, I have never seen this on any cruise line, just a degree of difficulty. That makes more sense. Someone can be 40 and has no business dealing with a big hike, and someone can be 70 and beat most anyone half his age.

Personally I do look at them as I have a very low tolerance to heat, and my choices are made on that.

I agree 100%. about a year ago I joined a local hiking group. they classified hikes as novice, moderate, advanced, strenuous. I showed up one morning for a moderate hike and saw a bunch of people with white hair sticking out from under their caps.......

I thought to myself this should be "no problem" if all these "old people' can do it..........

I'm sure you can figure out the rest........suffice it to say I learned my lesson on that one :):):)

A nice "older" couple hung back with me to encourage me and they told me they hike the Canadian Rockies in the summer....and all of these other mountain ranges.........

Never judge a book by its cover.......

I have noticed more excursions with that 340/350 lb. weight limit and I wonder if it has to do more with the bus than the actual excursion. I remember reading a thread or revue relatively recently where someone complained that he had to stand the whole time on the excursion bus because the only available seat was taken by a huge person that took up his own seat plus the one next to him. (and these were not on ziplining, horseback riding and strenuous tours )

My Dad who is 91 cruises with us so I always have to make sure that my shore excursions are suitable for him... I do find the excursion desk is helpful in describing the tours by telling me the number of steps etc

However I also find that the pace set by the tour group is usually faster than we want to go consequently I normally book my own private excursions that way I can tailor them to exactly what we want

That many today are out of shape, over weight and not all that healthy.

Its a social problem today . Calling out discrimination at the drop of a hat for everyhting seems like a throwing a tantrum.

In the US we have gone over the top trying to accomidate people of every ilk. condition and gender. People think its their right to do things even if they can not. That is not realistic. When someone suggests logic he is trashed as a bigot, racist or whatever.

I remember in Officer and A Gentelman, when asked why he wanted to be an officer, " I want to fly jets" to the reply " My grandmother wants to fly jets"

I am over 65, and work some season as a National Park Ranger, doing "hikes" that ascend 5000 ft in less than 4 miles at ft carrying a 30 lb pack.... Living and working at 10,000 ft on a glacier! I dont feel discriminated against with rational age / weight restrictions.

Do your own tour, if you think it is discrimination...

If you can do it then do it. However dont ask others to give you a break. They have their rights too! Compaines not forced to take every applicant will be better than ones that welcome all. The truth is stark and may not make you happy....but thats life...deal with it

Archived