If Royal builds a third Oasis-class ship, where should it sail?

Where should a third Oasis-class ship sail?  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Where should a third Oasis-class ship sail?

• Australia
    • Asia
    • Alaska
    • Transatlantic
    • Hawaii
    • South America
    • Mediterranean
    • Canary Islands
    • Somewhere else

While I have no intentions of ever doing an Oasis Class ship (too big and too many people for my taste), I still read through this thread. The one destination I have not seen mentioned is the Panama Canal. With the new construction currently going on to fit ships like the Oasis class that should be completed sometime in 2015 (I believe), maybe RCI could be in the market to do 10 night partial PC cruises, out of FLL, from September till May and then do the Caribbean durring the summer months.

Based on the article below Port Canaveral just received $24M to widen and deepen the harbor to accommodate larger cruise ships. Given that Freedom is currently at Port Canaveral there aren’t many ships that are larger than Freedom so maybe it is an Oasis class ship that is being planned for. Plus when we were there last week the new terminal looked really nice and large. I thought the new terminal was for Carnival but maybe it would be shared like the current one is.

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2012/08/14/usa-port-canaveral-gets-financial-injection/

San Juan would be a great location for an Oasis size ship but unfortunately I can't think of any ports besides St Thomas and St Marttin in that area that could handle a massive ship of that size. It would also be impossible to use any tender ports in the region. If I was a betting man I believe that either the Oasis or Allure will be moved to Port Canaveral and the new Oasis size vessel if built will be positioned to Port Everglades. I think Royal Caribbean will continue to maximize profits having three ships of that size in the same region.

I´d love to see any of the Oasis class ships going to the Med (out of Barcelona). But as for the new ship I fear it´s going to Asia.

steamboats

I would have to agree with you, steamboats, I too would love to see the Oasis class in the Med (out of Barcelona) with some new made for this class docks. But Asia is a much bigger market. Maybe they could send the Oasis to Asia and keep the Allure and the new ship in Fort Lauderdale. I think Cape Canveral will be for one of the Sunshine ships.

Irene

...I wish it could homeport out of NY, but it probably wouldn't fit under the bridge.
Oasis class are built in Finland and have to pass under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark [213 feet clearance above water] to get to the ocean, which they do by retracting their telescoping funnel to 212 feet. Verrazano-Narrows Bridge has 228 feet of clearance, so Oasis class has 16 feet of clearance. I could see it coming to Cape Liberty in the summer, but current Central Park tropical plants wouldn't make it in the winter.

Thom

I would love the 3rd Oasis going to from Hawaii but can you imagine the $$$$$ of that one!! They'd never be able to fill it consistently... But then again that's what they said about O and A and we all see how that worked out!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

The Captain on Explorer told us last year that RCCL would be bringing a new ship to Bayonne in 2014. We'll see. We enjoy sailing from NY to the caribbean during the winter months, but RCCL really needs to design a ship that has a solarium pool with a retractable roof for bad weather days. We sailed on a ship in Hawaii with a retracable roof pool aft that was great when it was really HOT because they closed the roof and turned on the AC. Great for sailing in cold weather during sea days too.

Usually we hit temps between 65-70 on the first sea day out of NY but the retracable roof would be great for the sailaway. When we sailed Jewel out Boston, it was great hanging at the bar area in the solarium pool before the sailaway in late October. As a matter of fact, I think Jewel is leaving on the Boston to caribbean repo cruise today. Hopefully they will avoid rough seas by going east from Boston before heading south.

Add me to the camp that sees the new ship in FLL, and the Oasis moved to Port Canaveral...

BUT...

What islands would it visit??

Freedom does the pre-oasis traditional western route with Grand Cayman included.

It's the big difference between the Oasis class and this route.

If Oasis leaves out of Port Canaveral, would it just do the reverse route of the Allure/New ship on the same route?

With that in mind, I consider San Juan a runner up. Or maybe something weird like Galveston or New Orleans with stops in Coz, Costa Maya, and Belize?

Just a thought.

Add me to the camp that sees the new ship in FLL, and the Oasis moved to Port Canaveral...

BUT...

What islands would it visit??

Freedom does the pre-oasis traditional western route with Grand Cayman included.

It's the big difference between the Oasis class and this route.

If Oasis leaves out of Port Canaveral, would it just do the reverse route of the Allure/New ship on the same route?

With that in mind, I consider San Juan a runner up. Or maybe something weird like Galveston or New Orleans with stops in Coz, Costa Maya, and Belize?

Just a thought.

When we were in Belize on Mariner of the Seas a few years ago, we had to tender. Has something changed since then? If not, and unless there are plans to upgrade the port facilities before 2016, I think that problem would rule out any itinerary that included Belize.

Longer cruises out of Port Canaveral to the southern Caribbean! :D

I agree whole-heartedly with this. We love the southern caribbean and no really good ships go there. Adventure is about as good as it gets, and I like her but have sailed her many times. Time for something new for the southern caribbean!

Just got off the Oasis today. The word is that it will not be an Oasis Class ship, but a new class called the Sunshine Class (unofficial name). It is supposed to be sized between the Freedom Class and the Oasis class. Itineraries have not be determined.

Just got off the Oasis today. The word is that it will not be an Oasis Class ship, but a new class called the Sunshine Class (unofficial name). It is supposed to be sized between the Freedom Class and the Oasis class. Itineraries have not be determined.

isn't the new carnival class called the sunshine class?

Project Sunshine comes out 2014 and 2015. The 3rd Oasis Class is 2016 :D

Port Canaveral is a good bet. I think it will be the Caribbean market for sure. The ports will be up to RCCL and the host nation to develop the infrastructure. But honestly people a paying a premium for the same eastern/western itinerary, why should RCCL change anything?

some of the ports mentioned are fabulous. But many of the itineraries mentioned are currently pulling low, low fares. I have been on multiple TA cruises...they go at low prices, but are expensive for the cruiseline (loads if fuel used). Of late, Med cruises have been rather cheap, and discriminating cruisers want to go to small ports, not just ones with huge docks.

So, as fun as it might be, the big ship's need to be in profitable market. Thus, I think it will be deployed to the Caribbean.

There is no reason that RCI would/could not make some modified design changes on an Oasis class ship built in 2016. While still keeping the neighborhood theme concept in place. i.e. current open areas could be fully or partially glass enclosed and/or have retractable roofs that would accommodate cooler climates.

That would put us back to what ports are large enough and profitable enough.

Archived