Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

I boarded Voyager in Sydney, on 24th November. Had my 2 bottles in my carry on, and security of course saw the bottles as they went through the scanner. I had to have a bit of a discussion with them, because I was travelling alone, and had a stateroom to myself... they thought the policy was one bottle per person (so, only 2 bottles per stateroom if there are 2 people in said stateroom). I had to explain the policy to them quite firmly, as they were wanting to take one of my bottles from me. I had printed out the policy and threatened to get it out of my bag and show it to them. Anyway, I won the argument and was able to get the 2 bottles on board.

I boarded Voyager in Sydney, on 24th November. Had my 2 bottles in my carry on, and security of course saw the bottles as they went through the scanner. I had to have a bit of a discussion with them, because I was travelling alone, and had a stateroom to myself... they thought the policy was one bottle per person (so, only 2 bottles per stateroom if there are 2 people in said stateroom). I had to explain the policy to them quite firmly, as they were wanting to take one of my bottles from me. I had printed out the policy and threatened to get it out of my bag and show it to them. Anyway, I won the argument and was able to get the 2 bottles on board.

I have a solo cabin next time. It sounds like I should print the policy and be prepared for a discussion.

This jumble of two different topics is driving me crazy too!

However, the experience that you quoted was mine. We boarded 11/25 in Galveston port. This was their 2nd US boarding (first being the Thanksgiving week) after returning from Europe. I'm not sure if that is relevant, but wanted to point it out as they may not have had time to really figure out what they were doing yet vs. some of the year round ships or those that have been back since the policy went into effect.

Here is more of a summary:

1. Many of you have read the thread around how terrible this embarkation was so I won't re-hash that. I was among the first to enter the building. As it relates to the wine....I had mine in my back pack for carry on. Security verified I had wine in the bag. They they then sent me to a separate table. I had to pull my bottles out of my bag (although I could have had more because she never looked in it). This was after security, before check-in. I then had to provide her my sea pass info. She took down my cabin #, what I "had" (the two bottles of wine), and then had me sign a line saying I was bringing this on.

2. My sister and family went through the line about 1 hour after me (or more). She had her wine in her carry on as well. Her Mother in Law did too. The security screener did "ask" them if they had wine, they said "yes". He did not direct them to the "table". I am guessing it was because of how backed up the embarkation was at that point that they decided that was just causing more delay. I don't know if they will continue to try and do that or not. I obviously was onboard so did not witness this. Maybe she just didn't hear them.

3. My dad had 1 bottle of wine in his checked suit case. His ended up in the naughty room. I went with him to retrieve it because I was curious (and he thought I got him in trouble by putting a bottle of wine in his luggage. lol). Anyway, many of the people picking up luggage had wine as well. He simply had to open his suit case and pull out the bottle. They then did the same thing they did with me at the desk after security. They took down his cabin #, noted he had 1 bottle of wine, and then had him sign on the paper. He then put the bottle of wine back in his suit case and wheeled it to his room.

I don't know the purpose of their record keeping. I don't know if it is to somehow cross reference with the carry on? But it's not computerized so how could they possibly do this? Data entry later to match it all up? Come to my room later and tell me I had 2 bottles at carry on and now 2 bottles in my checked luggage? What if I drank it all already (alright, I know, I wouldn't) or gave it to friends? Seems like a waste of resources.

I was excited with the new policy but it almost seems like more annoyance than I intended. Maybe that is their purpose, I don't know. I guess if I understood "why", I would feel better. To my knowledge, celebrity does not do this? I have taken wine onboard Princess legally--and it definitely was not anything like this. I expected it to be similar.

Maybe they are just working the kinks out and will determine later if this inconvenience to their passengers coupled with the extra work by their staff is really worth it or not. I hope that's the case. Like any new policy, it can take a little while for the efficient path to be determined.

Am I to understand that you were permited to have a total of 4 bottles and one cabin and three in another?

Thanks

Am I to understand that you were permited to have a total of 4 bottles and one cabin and three in another?

Thanks

I think their extended family had multiple cabins, so it is hard to infer how many went to which cabin. Also I thought the poster's point about record keeping was hypothetical...IF two bottles in carry on and IF two bottles in checked bag, with paper records by the time it was discovered what would the cruiseline do about it?

OK, just got off the Allure, here is what I will say. My partner got the package, I did not. While most bartenders were making both passengers in the cabin buy the package, some were not.

There was mass confusion around the ship. The POS system was not yet ready to handle the packages. the bar staff had to punch things in specially as Per Diem to get them to ring up zero. Many did not bother to ring things in. Some bars were refusing to allow certain alcohols, claiming only the low end ones were allowed.

The specialty restaurants all screwed things up. Not one was able to handle the package. Each one claimed that the package didnt count there and refused to ring the drinks up for free. (Giovannis, Park 150, and Samba). Some became rather rude about it too. (Samba)

My partner eventually went down and spoke to Beverage manager Jon Jon who went through the invoice and took off all of the drinks. He also gave his direct line in case my partner had any more trouble at any bar the rest of the week.

I think Royal rolled it out poorly. I think that they need to do a soft launch on each ship and maybe offer to Suite passengers or Diamond and up passengers first and try to work out the kinks.

With all the hassle my partner went through, I am not sure that he would do it again until Royal works out the kinks. Whoever rolled it out on the Celebrity side of the house needs to come over and help Royal get it straightened out

The $55 per day seemed to include the tip as the total price was $385.

Would that be much of a roll out? If I could get free drinks every evening from 5:00-8:30, I sure wouldn't be paying an extra $55/day to get them free at other times.

Would that be much of a roll out? If I could get free drinks every evening from 5:00-8:30, I sure wouldn't be paying an extra $55/day to get them free at other times.

No kidding...Huh still trying to understand that logic? Cuz suite passengers and Diamonds....hmmm nope still don't get it?

I think their extended family had multiple cabins, so it is hard to infer how many went to which cabin. Also I thought the poster's point about record keeping was hypothetical...IF two bottles in carry on and IF two bottles in checked bag, with paper records by the time it was discovered what would the cruiseline do about it?

Sorry--Yes, multiple cabins. We had 4 cabins altogether and 7 bottles of wine total. I had 2 for my cabin. My sister had 2 for her cabin. Her MIL had 2 for her cabin. My dad had 1 for his cabin.

And yes, it was hypothetical of maybe "why" they were trying to complete the tracking.

I didn't mean to be so confusing, I keep trying to tell myself "sometimes less is more". LOL.

It is good to hear that other ports are not reporting this same kind of "record keeping" that Galveston attempted on the 11/25 sailing.

Sorry--Yes, multiple cabins. We had 4 cabins altogether and 7 bottles of wine total. I had 2 for my cabin. My sister had 2 for her cabin. Her MIL had 2 for her cabin. My dad had 1 for his cabin.

And yes, it was hypothetical of maybe "why" they were trying to complete the tracking.

I didn't mean to be so confusing, I keep trying to tell myself "sometimes less is more". LOL.

It is good to hear that other ports are not reporting this same kind of "record keeping" that Galveston attempted on the 11/25 sailing.

And some of us think TX is a model of a practical, low regulation state. I cannot imagine the record keeping system some of my fellow Wisconsinites might institute...they might computer track every bottle coming on board and who consumed how much on which day in which location, thereby spending more money tracking than corkage or lost wine sale profits:eek:

I just completed a RC cruise on the Vision of the Sea ending dec 3rd...had absolutely no problems with my 2 bottles of wine plus had a bottle of wine awaiting us in our room for a total of 3.

Only I purchased a soda package..it was not forced upon my husband or even suggested..

I am reading your stories and find it truly awful that some of you had such problems!!!!

All I can say is that our 10 day cruise on the Vision of the Sea went as smooth as could be.

I just completed a RC cruise on the Vision of the Sea ending dec 3rd...had absolutely no problems with my 2 bottles of wine plus had a bottle of wine awaiting us in our room for a total of 3.

Only I purchased a soda package..it was not forced upon my husband or even suggested..

I am reading your stories and find it truly awful that some of you had such problems!!!!

All I can say is that our 10 day cruise on the Vision of the Sea went as smooth as could be.

Just because you got a soda package doesn't mean your husband needs to get one too. If you had purchased an alcohol package, then your husband would have had to purchase one.

I1 - You mean I pay $55 per day plus tips and I cannot use the Coke Freestyle machines? I have to pay another $30 for that?!? I thought that it sounded like a neat concept that I have never seen before to try to new flavours. So you mean to tell me that I can pay upwards of $100 per day if I wanted the alcohol package and to use the Coke Freestyle machine...and you still are going to charge me even more for a bottle of water. Someone clearly needs to re-think this one!

The $55/day package includes fountain soda which I assume means the Coke machine.

-- The Classic Beverage Package includes beer and house wines by the glass, as well as all non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain soda and juices. It costs $45 per person, per day, including gratuities.

-- The Premium Beverage Package includes beer, house wines by the glass, frozen alcoholic drinks and all alcoholic cocktails including premium brands, as well as all non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain soda and juices. It costs $55 per person, per day, including gratuities.

Is it true that this is only being offered on cruises that are seven nights or longer? Also, has anyone else been able to purchase just for themselves and not for their cabinmate?

The packages will be available on all Royal Caribbean sailings of seven nights or longer by early 2013. Passengers must be 21 years old or older to buy one of the packages and must make the purchase on the first day of a sailing.

A caveat: If one passenger in a cabin buys one of the packages, each additional passenger age 21 years and over in the same cabin also must buy the package -- a rule presumably enacted to prevent cabin mates from sharing a package.

The packages will be available on all Royal Caribbean sailings of seven nights or longer by early 2013. Passengers must be 21 years old or older to buy one of the packages and must make the purchase on the first day of a sailing.

A caveat: If one passenger in a cabin buys one of the packages, each additional passenger age 21 years and over in the same cabin also must buy the package -- a rule presumably enacted to prevent cabin mates from sharing a package.

How early? We're cruising in January 2013 from Sydney.

Here is the information being provided to travel agents:

Beverage Packages Available for Purchase Onboard ONLY

General Information

Royal Caribbean International is furthering its commitment to total guest satisfaction by expanding its existing onboard beverage program to include two new packages. Introducing the Classic and Premium packages, which will allow guests to pay one price at the beginning of their cruise vacation and enjoy a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at greater savings and convenience for the duration of their voyage.

Beverage Package Onboard Availability Schedule

Ship - Launch Date

• Legend of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Grandeur of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Splendour of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Independence of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Vision of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Oasis of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Allure of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Freedom of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Navigator of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Mariner of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Brilliance of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Adventure of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Explorer of the Seas - Currently Available
  • Enchantment of the Seas - 12/15/12
  • Serenade of the Seas - 12/27/12
  • Radiance of the Seas - 01/21/13
  • Rhapsody of the Seas - 01/23/13
  • Voyager of the Seas - 01/27/13

They cannot be pre-purchased. Only available on sailings of 7 nights or longer.

The Classic Package: Pay just one price to enjoy a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at greater savings and convenience for your whole cruise.

$45 per guest / per day.

Includes:

• Beer brands (below $6.25)
  • house wine by the glass
  • fountain soda
  • non-alcoholic cocktails

The Premium Package: The ultimate in convenience and value! Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of liquors, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages.

$55 per guest / per day. Includes:

• All well, call and premium cocktails
  • Frozen Drinks
  • All Beers (bottle, can and draft
  • house wine by the glass
  • Non-alcoholic cocktails
  • Fountain soda and juices

NOTE: The package prices are the same on all ships. However, if the sailing requires any VAT charges this will be added to the price of the package. All guests in the stateroom must purchase the same package unless they are medically unable to consume alcohol.

Package Restrictions

The following items are not included in the packages:

• Full bottles of wine
  • Full bottles of liquor
  • MiniBar products
  • Specialty coffees
  • Cans of soda
  • Bottled water
  • Freshly squeezed juices
  • Souvenir glassware
  • Multiple beverages may not be ordered at the same time
  • The Premium Beverage Package cannot be shared or transferred to another guest.

FAQs

How can you purchase the all inclusive package?

The beverage packages can be purchased on boarding day. Guests can ask at any bar for more information; or should look out for a table setup for purchases to be made.

Can we purchase the all inclusive beverage packages for selected days?

No. The all inclusive packages must be purchased by all stateroom guests, over the age of 21, for the entire cruise length.

What if my traveling companion doesn’t drink, do they still have to purchase an all inclusive beverage package?

Yes, if they are in the same stateroom. The all inclusive packages must be purchased by all stateroom guests, over the age of 21, for the entire cruise length. All guests with special circumstances and/or medical conditions should speak with Guest Services onboard.

In which venues will the all inclusive beverage packages be honored?

The all inclusive beverage packages are honored at any of our bars or lounges, Windjammer Café, Main Dining Room, and our private destinations during normal business hours. Room service and minibar are not included.

Are the all inclusive beverage packages available on all sailings?

The all inclusive beverage packages are sold onboard all ships sailings 7 days or longer.

What are some of the premium spirits available with the Premium Beverage Package?

Premium Spirits include 10 Cane Rum, Bacardi 8, Pyrat XO, Belvedere, Chopin, Sauza Conmemmorativo, Carlos 1, Bakers, Crown Royal reserve, Grey goose, Kettle One, Tanqueray 10, Hendrick's, Courvoisier V.S., Knob Creek, Glenfiddich, Macallan Elegancia 12yr and The Glenlivet.

Are gratuities included in the all inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A service charge of 15% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities.

Can I order multiple drinks at a time with the all inclusive beverage packages?

No. As this is a personal package, only one beverage per guest will be served.

Can I buy a drink for my friend with the all inclusive beverage packages?

The all inclusive beverage packages are for personal consumption. All additional drinks ordered will be charged at current bar prices.

How will the bar staff know I have purchased the all inclusive beverage packages?

A sticker will be placed on your SeaPass card for identification. The bar staff will request to see your SeaPass for verification prior to service (so keep it handy.)

Can I use the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines with the all inclusive beverage packages?

No. The Coca-Cola Freestyle machines require the Coca-Cola souvenir cup to operate. Souvenir glassware is excluded from the all inclusive beverage packages.

No multiple drinks? You can't send someone to the bar to get them for everyone?

That's a bit pedantic.

Happy to see its going to be implemented for our cruise though!

I think that making everyone in the cabin get it is a bit much.

Edited by Katana_Geldar