Taj Mahal precruise, Mumbai to Bali on Voyager 20 Nov-20 Dec

WesW

Wes! What a delight to retun home (FL place) from our recent adventure to this delightful sight!

First off, congratulations on your good fortune in being able to have such an adventure. Secondly, your pictures and commentary are, quite simply, stirring. I'm very jealous, in other words. :) and finally, I love your good tips about everything. You know your stuff for sure.

Thanks, as always for your charm, and for taking the time to take us along. I wish safe travels and continuing fun and life changing experiences for both you and Ida! I'll most certainly be following along.

Hi everyone, FranzR/Franz, count Florida/Mike & Pat; Mimito4/Teresa & Don, thank you for your exceptionally gracious comments.

Mike, Pat and your Mariner crossing sounded terrific despite the mobility challenges. Also, glad to hear your Meet/Greet went spectacularly well.

T, as usual your prose is wonderful to read and way to generous in describing our words, tips, pix--thank you again

We came back from our Highlights of Cochin tour a few hours ago (hot, hot, did I say hot), in fact as I type this post am sitting in our suite with air at full, but

with a headband on. Please see pix below of the highlights we experienced in Cochin; Indo-Portuguese Museum, visit to Jew Street & Spice street, visit to one of the oldest European Catholic church's in India, St. Francis Church and a visit to the fascinating Chinese Fishing nets.

Also, beginning with this post, once a day, will feature a Voyager crew member that has provided us with above&beyond service, hopefully many of you Regent cruisers will recognize these warm smiles of cherished members of the Voyager family. Today's Crew member featured is Ley who works the La Veranda omelet station at breakfast and the pasta corner at lunch

Highlights of Cochin pix:

Indo-Portuguese museum (no pix allowed inside) but we enjoyed detailed history of Cochin India over the past four centuries, viewed period dress, observing beautiful replicas of celebratory palaquins designed for the Marajaha, written descriptions with pix of the Cochin architectural changes over the last 400 years. A young school girls field trip came to the museum, first pix below:

cochin003.jpg

cochin013.jpg

cochin007.jpg

cochin014.jpg

Indian women weaving a Sari (takes 6-8 days of work to complete)

cochin017.jpg

cochin018.jpg

Hi Wes, I hope that you are able to cool down back on the ship.

Continue to love your photos.

I am glad that you were able to see some of the special places of Cohchin including the iconic Chinese Fishing Nets and the area adjacent to the Synagogue. Did your tour take you inside the Synagogue?

I wish you and Ida continued enjoyment of the cruise. You are seeing great things and it is a reminder how truly diverse our world is.

Keith

Hi Keith1010/Keith and Anne Marie, thanks again Keith for your too kind comments--your World Cruise blogs are a wonderful model for us as we post (words/pix) on our journey. Yes, both Ida and I enjoyed the tour inside this fascinating Synagogue--we were shown the upstairs area where the women prayed, noted the colorful--individually designed blue/white tiles (provided by China) making up the floor.

Pls see this wiki link for pictures inside the Paradesi Synagogue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradesi_Synagogue

St. Francis Catholic Church:

cochin020.jpg

Chinese Fishing Nets being brought up (the large catch consisted of a single 9 inch fish)

cochin028.jpg

Indian Vendor proudly showing a small hammerhead shark for sale among the other fish on ice;

cochin029.jpg

Voyager Crew Member Profile: Ley the pasta corner server in La Veranda at lunch shown below serving Ida. Ley has been with Regent four years (four contracts). She comes from a large family (3 brothers, 3 sisters (she is the youngest) that live now in Manilla. When asked what her favorite thing was while working for Regent, Ley said, "Traveling the World for Free, meeting new guests, and improving her English." Ida and I absolutely love being served by the every smiling, always friendly Ley. Tomorrow, will profile one of the Maitre'd's in La Veranda, Medwin.

cochin031.jpg

Wes and Ida, your pictures are amazing! There is a terrific restaurant in Atlanta, Cardamon Hill, that features Kerala cuisine - a hybrid of southern Indian and Portuguese without the dietary restrictions of India. Let's go when you return! Every place we visit, we gravitate to the market. Your market pictures are so enticing!

Please give our best to Alan. Georges and I used all of our OBC with Alan getting specialized exercise instruction. He is much more than a trainer...part PT, part fitness. Please tell him that g. has been following his instructions DAILY and he is much more flexible.

Alan also went on our Pompeii excursion. He is really a great person. Glad he's giving you a good workout!

Jennifer (and Georges)

Hi Wes & Ida,

Really glad to know that the Voyager has spin classes. Thanks for the pics.

Love your photos from Cochin. Those cantilever fishing nets are really interesting..... and all that work for one fish! Wish I had told you about our excursion to the backwaters of Alleppey. It was truly amazing. Next time!!

I agree with OrpingtonT that your Featured Staff Member post is certainly a nice touch. Can't wait to see them all.

Hope you and Ida enjoy Sette Mari as much as Crystal and I did last month on the Navigator.

Continue to enjoy your cruise and many thanks for taking the time to post your photos and impressions.

i just love traveling along with you...thank you Wes and Ida for taking the time to continue to post the daily stories of this wonderful adventure!

Featuring a crew member is pure genius!! How better to share the very special on board experience.

Cool off and enjoy!

Love your stuff Wes! Hate to admit it but Wendy saw your pictures of the bikes and said "on sea days you are doing your work". You are a bad dog-I'm now trapped.

Waiting to hear your full reviews of Voyager,entertainment, excursions and finally, as objectively as possible-food and wine.

Bill

I love how you provide the "human touch" in your posts. So wonderful to see folks at the meet and greet and to see the staff and even to see you sweat at a spin class.

Thanks for sharing the details that show the journey and not just the destination.

Wes, I am enjoying each chapter of your travels, especially the photos of your elephant ride. Here is a suggestion for your time in Phuket...a swim with a baby elephant! My DH did this on the beach of the Sheraton Hotel 2 years ago. Mahoots brought 2 baby elephants to the beach for a walk twice a day to mingle with, eat treats, and hug, the guests. One of the baby elephants was led into the ocean where swimmers could ride on his back...great fun. BTW, be sure to tip the mahoot because the baby elephant will take the money from your hand and put it in the mahoot's shirt pocket.

We look forward to meeting Ida and you on the Spirit crossing in April.

Colleen

Good Morning everyone, forgap/Jennifer & George, Janisegn/Janis, NCcruzqueen/Beth, Nancygp/Nancy, Nana541, Newlondon/Bill & Wendy, ededme, Orange County Murphy/Colleen; thanks again for your very kind words.

Jennifer/Georges, yes let's do Candamon Hill after the holidays. we did pass along

y'all's warm regards along to the Voyager fitness instructor, Alen--he had a wide grin.

Beth, Ida, and another couple we met on our Taj Mahal package had dinner last night at SM--we got there about 8:50pm knowing it would be crowded after the Captain's reception the night prior. Tip, call SM when you're enjoying a pre dinner drink and ask how long the wait will be and what time they recommend you arrive. Ida and Leslie had the Veal (Marsala), John had one of the pasta courses as a main, enjoyed the Branzino. Wine pairings were a crisp Orivieto and nice Chianti. We all enjoyed the oustanding service and cuisine--we closed SM down after a few grappa's and dark choc grappas. We'll be back again, and again.

Bill/Wendy, we will offer our thoughts on this voyage towards the end of the thread, suffice it to say--any day on the Voyager is an outstanding one.

Colleen, thank you for a terrific Phukett idea. Although we have a full day private excursion planned with 15 other pax (Kia Orana/Frank did a super job recruiting from 8 pre cruise to 15 now. Will share this idea with other on board pax.

Today is a seaday highlights include; enrichment lecture with Terry Bishop--"you've been to India and still know nothing about cricket," walk aound the world of wines, Indian Lunch Buffet, cheesecake tea time and we have the Voyager Block party at 6pm tonight. Tonight's entertainment is "just swing" with Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers.

more after lunch

We loved seeing pictures of Ida standing in front of the stores in Cochin. We bought two plaid pullovre shirts from a shop on that street. The lecturer on board was so proud that even the cotton material was produced in his country. He had been India's ambassador to the UN. Looks like your trip is turning out to be as great as ours was.

Ann

Wes/Ida,

Loving all the reports/pix, but had to laugh about the lecture about cricket! In 1970 we did an Amex southeast Asia tour and on one of the flights, the Captain gave Cricket scores; I had never heard of it!

That was my first foreign travel - so exotic! Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Singapore, Hong Kong (probably left something out!) (Kobe beef was amazing then!)

Continue to enjoy reading your posts. However, we canceled our April 1st sailing. Hated to do it, but; I am told by my Indian co-workers that April/May is the worst time to go as far as heat & humidity. You talked about how hot it is NOW; I can't imagine what April will be like. i would hate to spend all that time & money on a trip and not fully enjoy all of it.We live in Vegas where it is hot in the summer but not humid and everything is air conditioned. We love Regent & will choose another cruise. Your reports and pix are really appreciated. Thanks, Wes!

Hi everyone, Eager2Travel/Ann & Shel, gf/Kathy, Judyumcer@aol.com/Judy; thanks again for your very kind words--we sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Judy, sorry to hear you canceled your SE Asia voyage, hope y'all find a wonderful replacement.

Pls enjoy pix of today's Around the World with Wines presentation led by Yavuz, Voyager head Sommelier and his Sommelier staff in the Atrium. Lots of fun and very well attended.

wine004.jpg

wine008.jpg

wine007.jpg

theshoo(Mark) enjoying a nice red from the Connoisseur's list

wine014.jpg

Today we feature Medwin (pls see pix below) one of the half dozen restaurant Maitre D's on board the Voyager. Medwin has been with Regent for 12 years, he started with service on the Diamond. Medwin's fav ship is the Mariner. He prefers to serve in La Veranda, he gets more opportunity to meet the Regent guests during the buffet service here. What Medwin likes most about Regent is that Regent now Prestige Cruise Holdings treats the crew very well. He likes that on Regent vs mass market/larger ships the service they can provide is more intimate at 2 serves to 1 depending on how full the voyage is. Medwin comes from Manilla, Philippines, he has an 18 year old daughter and keeps in touch with his family via email, Skype and an occasional phone call.

medwin001.jpg

Wes, when looking at your pictures with all the happy and smiling Regent passengers it reminds me of exactly why we love sailing with Regent so much...our fellow passengers are the best! The wonderful staff are always happy as they go about their day and take delight in making passengers feel welcomed and "at home".

My hubby looked at your pics this morning and commented about the wonderful casual attitude and how everyone looked so happy!

Thanks again for posting!

Hi Wes and Ida,

I sat down at the computer to quickly check up on cruise critic before starting my morning 'chores' and suddenly realize that over an hour has passed! I have devoured your posts, enjoyed your photos and chuckled at your wit (and Ida's face in that first spinning photo :D).

Thank you for sharing your adventures.

How lucky are you to have Cpt McNeil again. He has kept us safe for 3 of our 4 Regent adventures and met his teenaged son and lovely wife in August.

Now that I know that you are here, I will join you every day. Safe travels to you both!

Hello Wes and Ida

This is my first post on this site I have been browsing for the past year but have not yet contributed.

My husband and I cruised on regent Mariner for the first time in April 2012 and loved it so much we have booked again next April. I just want to say how much we are loving your posts. Every day I cannot wait to see what you have captured on camera and how the cruise is going. Thank you so much for all your time and for giving an insight of the regent experience. Thank you so very much.

Hi everyone, NewLondon/Bill & spin lover Wendy; Nana541, Witt'send/Katie and Big John, Suttonrunner:

Bill, will be sure and post more spin photos from our next (Dec 9) indoor spinning class. Alen's fitness classes are chock full of pax, the fullest we've seen on any Silversea or Regent ship. Testimony to his outstanding fitness instruction, knowledge and patience while teaching to a variety of fitness levels. Will post a pix of background on Alen soon.

Nana541; Your welcome--yesterday's seaday was a welcome respite to many after going warp speed with touring first during our Taj Mahal package (Nov 28-Dec 1st), then Delhi, Goa, New Mangalore and Cochin port stops.

Katie; Seems like yesterday we were sailing through the Gulf of Aden and the Suez, you're precisely right, John McNeil puts the pax's safety top of mind. Thank you for your gracious words, pls pass Ida and my warm regards along to John.

Suttonrunner, You're welcome, glad you decided to post, we all contribute to the cruise critic community when posting.

Last night after delightful pre dinner cocktails in the Observation Lounge with fellow CCr's Jan and John, Leslie and John, and our new found 81 year old friend (Albert (the former French Ambassador to Panama) we had another outstanding dinner in Prime7 (we both had the 6oz filet, too many sides) paired with a wonderful full bodied Cab (Caymus).

Now, (5 a.m) we are sailing very close to our next port of call, the Maldives (Male). Thanks to Kia Orana's/Frank & Sue's superb private snorkel excursion planning (13 of us) leave at 9:25 to catch one of the tenders to the Male pier and meet our Snorkel operator. We will board the dhoni (small boat with cover) and travel for about an hour to Racha Island for a day of snorkeling in the absolutely gorgeous waters of the maldives. Look forward to sharing pix and words of our snorkel adventure. We all coordinated with Carlos Salvador (Restaurant Manager) for box lunches to have while on our full day trip.

To be continued.

Hi Wes!

I'm a bit late to the party here , but I'm catching up and enjoying your adventures! In the meantime i had been enjoying your pictures in FB. Thank you for your delightful reports, wishing you and Ida continued enjoyment of the cruise!

Hi everyone, Cruiseluv/Maria & bob; very short post before we depart in a few minutes day long snorkel adventure.

Maria, thank you for your kind words, we post our pix on FB so the crew we interview can easily access their interview/pix, they then

send their mini profile on CC to their families back home (principally in the Philippines)

Featured Regent Crew member today: Sherwood Mendoza, and according to the Voyager, Gen Mgr/Franck and Sherwood, probably the most senior Regent crew member on board (Sherwood is on his tenth Voyager contract) he started with Radisson now Regent back on the Navigator in 1999 (before I was born :)). Sherwood has four children (three boys (twins) and one girl). The Mendoza family lives about 3 hours south of Manilla. Sherwood said what he likes best about Regent is they take good care of the crew. Can attest to Sherwood's hard work cleaning/vacuuming the pool daily--the pool sparkles and is crystal clear after his thorough pool cleaning. Pls see pix below:

sherwood001.jpg

Archived