Inside room vs. Oceanview

CruisingGiants

Just wanted to get a few opinions on this...my husband and I have always sailed with a balcony, but decided to save on the room and spend more in the ports during our Spirit cruise next summer -- not to mention flying to Europe costs a little more.

We currently have a family inside cabin on the 10th floor (approx 175 sq. ft), but are debating switching to an ocean view on the 5th floor (157 sq. ft). It's a bit more pricey, but I was thinking it might be nice to have some natural light, especially on our two sea days.

Is it worth the upgrade or will we not be in the room enough? Has anyone tried both an inside and an oceanview? I've heard the ports themselves are nothing special to look at as you come in, as the major sights are bit farther from port.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I hate to say it, but this is something only you can answer. I find that I like natural light, but many are perfectly fine with inside rooms. Europe itineraries are port intensive though, and you really won't spend a whole lot of time in your room based on what I've read.

Just wanted to get a few opinions on this...my husband and I have always sailed with a balcony, but decided to save on the room and spend more in the ports during our Spirit cruise next summer -- not to mention flying to Europe costs a little more.

We currently have a family inside cabin on the 10th floor (approx 175 sq. ft), but are debating switching to an ocean view on the 5th floor (157 sq. ft). It's a bit more pricey, but I was thinking it might be nice to have some natural light, especially on our two sea days.

Is it worth the upgrade or will we not be in the room enough? Has anyone tried both an inside and an oceanview? I've heard the ports themselves are nothing special to look at as you come in, as the major sights are bit farther from port.

Personally, for me I prefer to spend the least on the room as I spend hardly anytime in it. for me, the room is not the focal point of the cruise and is only used for sleep and shower. Have been on the Spirit several times before and always had a inside cabin without any windows. I would think that the windows on Deck 5, being close to water line. would be covered with sea spray and maybe hard to see thru. I also like a dark cabin as it is better for sleep.

Enjoy the Spirit as she is the best ship that I have been on.

While this is such a personal choice, you asked: my advice is to stay with the inside. It has enough more space to make a big difference for us, plus I would find deck 10 more convenient than deck 5 (for shipboard activities).

We have cruised in insides, oceanviews and balconies (no suites). (On the Spirit- a balcony on deck 9 and an inside). We usually cruise in insides to save money; since this is what we're used to, we find that we don't spend much time in the cabin even if we have a balcony. We're so used to being out and about around the ship (or off when docked).

Is the price difference significant? For us, that's another big factor! I agree with you that using the money for port activities would be more important.

We thought we always needed at least a window when we sailed. Then when we decided it was time to try DCL, we went with an inside cabin to save money. I loved it! I swear I've never slept better and yes, being it was inside, it 'forced' us to get out and explore the ship more on sea days. it got us out and about instead of just being lazy in the cabin all day. If we wanted sun, we went up to the pool deck. It was nice.

Now, we happily book an interior and upgrade only if a good sale comes out.

I do have to admit though, that some NCL ships have quite tiny interiors. I am concerned that those would feel a little tight compared to what we've sailed in before.

I like natural light, so I would pay a bit more for an OV cabin, maybe $10ppd. if the price difference is great stay with the inside.

Also remember if prices drop on better cabins after final payment it is pretty easy to call in and pay a few dollars more for the upgrade. Paying for an upgrade seems to go through quickly and cheerfully; asking for a free upgrade if prices drop after final might be slower and dicier. If you feel your cruise may not be selling well and that prices may fall later and if you think you can be happy enough in an inside, there is an argument to be made for keeping your price as low as possible now so upgrading is easier later....do you feel lucky?

We don't need that much space on a cruise.

I do need some natural light or I get disoriented. When I have sailed in an IV cabin, I turn the TV on to the bow cam channel & mute the volume at night. Then in the morning when the sun rises, I can "see" it on my TV & know it's morning. Looking at the clock on the phone doesn't kick start my brain / metabolism the same way.

So it remains your choice.

We've done one inside, two ocean view and two balcony. I would not go back to an inside (because we do like to spend time in the cabin for the quietness but need to be able to see out ) but I would take an ocean view (picture window) if I had too. But, if we can afford it we would stick with balcony.

Outside cabins are just as dark at night :eek:

Not in Alaska in the middle of the summer!

And yes, I realize the OP isn't going there, but if you want .a nap in the middle of the day, the inside is also going to be darker at that time as well.

Personally, if I can't take a photo out the window (which you cannot get a good one), it's not worth it. We stick to insides to vacation more (not just cruise). We usually do one cruise per year and a couple of other trips as well - in June, we'll be in a cabin in Yellowstone for a week. In March, we'll be in Branson for a week, and in December, it's looking like a 15 night Panama Canal cruise. I'm all for more vacations!

Just returned from the Gem - had an obstructed oceanview. I too thought I needed natural light but unfortunately these rooms on the Gem overlook the promenade and have very unnatural fluorescent lighting all night long - the distance to the ocean view was long and yes I could see it - I had to crawl over my husband in bed to look directly out the window. I think it is all about square footage and location (unless you can swing a balcony).

One approach is to book the lowest price, and you can always pay to upgrade. We are also doing a 12 day on the Spirit next year, and will not be spending lots of time in the cabin, but more on shore excursions.

With the price specials good thru tomorrow, I switched to a guarantee balcony today, and saved $300. Thats cool.

Consider doing a guarantee cabin.:cool:

Inside cabins are often all I can afford, especially since I sail solo mostly these days. I dont mind them at all, but of course I would prefer a window. I would stay with the inside. It is bigger, and just as you had planned, you can spend the saved money on other things. JMO, though, whichever you do, enjoy your cruise!:)

If it were "inside vs. balcony" and "we like to spend a lot of quiet time reading during sea days," I'd say you should consider upgrading to a balcony.

An oceanview only offers a little more room and natural light. How important are these to you? You really only gain a view of the docks. I don't think you are going to kneel on your bed and look out the window for great views coming into a port.

Personally, if it were a free upgrade or only $20/pp more, I'd consider the change, but not for any more than that.

Thank you so much for all of your great replies! We have a lot to consider. I feel we are leaning more towards the inside -- but I will definitely have to keep a lookout for price drops/free upgrades, should there be any more.

I like the idea about keeping the TV tuned in to the outside camera to see if it's morning or not -- I feel I read somewhere the Spirit doesn't do that for some reason.

Can anyone confirm?

Thank you again for all your help :D It's very much appreciated!

As a compromise we book a porthole window. It is as dark as an inside room when you shut the window but allows a lot of light in when you open it for daytime. (We like a very dark room for sleeping). They are only on the lower deck(s) but that means they are even more quiet.

I've sailed in inside, oceanview, balcony, and mini suite. I'm very happy with an inside for "cheap" cruises, and if I'm going to splurge I'll get a balcony. For me personally I would not pay more for an oceanview. The window does not add significant value for me, and they are typically not located on the mid to upper deck locations I prefer. The mini suite was a special circumstance of putting 3 adults in the room -- it was great for that, but I don't find it worth the price difference over a balcony for 2 adults.

Any bit of light helps....but at what price!!!:D how long do you spend in the room anyway:)

We have had insides, ocean view, and balcony cabins, My wife and I prefer balcony , but we go with the flow, One thing nobody has mentioned so for, most ocean view cabins are low to the water, and also low to the pier. We had an OV cabin on a Med. Cruise, on deck 3 or 4, while in port, we had to close the drapes because you could see into the cabin from the dock. expecially if you had a light on. While at sea, there was no problem. Just something to consider. The other thing is all the OV cabins we have had have all been upgrads from insides. I must agree it is nice to see natural light in the morning, Much better than turing the TV on to see if it is light outside. How ever I would not pay for a OV.

I've also had inside, porthole, ocean view window and balcony. Overall, I would go with an inside. Love the idea of the TV on to ship's camera. I have heard some people say that they would never do anything else once they experienced a balcony. Not true. I like to get out and socialize. Sometimes the people who swear by "balcony only" are smokers who prize their balcony for that reason. A few lines won't let you smoke on your balcony anymore.

Bottomline: you can cruise more often or go on that cool expensive excursion if you are on a budget and stay inside!

Archived