Crown Princess Feb. 22, 2014 cruise cancelled

seacruise9

Hi,

I was booked on the Crown Princess 7-day Southern Caribbean cruise that was scheduled to depart on Feb. 22, 2014. I just received notice that this cruise has been cancelled. According to the Princess website, the cruises on the Crown Princess from Feb. 15, 2014 through April 2014 have been cancelled. Do you think the ship is going to be refurbished?

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Maybe they are considering a redeployment?

Hi,

Yes, this is the case. I looked at my e-mail from Princess again. It says that the cruise has been cancelled "due to deployment changes." I called Princess to change my reservation to the 7-day Southern Caribbean cruise that departs from Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 8, 2014. According to the reservation agent at Princess, the Crown Princess is going to leave on a long South America cruise that departs from Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 15, 2014. It sounds like they are repositioning the ship to the West Coast.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi,

Yes, this is the case. I looked at my e-mail from Princess again. It says that the cruise has been cancelled "due to deployment changes." I called Princess to change my reservation to the 7-day Southern Caribbean cruise that departs from Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 8, 2014. According to the reservation agent at Princess, the Crown Princess is going to leave on a long South America cruise that departs from Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 15, 2014. It sounds like they are repositioning the ship to the West Coast.

Chuck

Sounds like maybe the Crown will do a cruise around South America like the Grand is doing this year. The Grand cruise was real popular. I suspect that Princess can make alot of money by pricing it higher than this years cruise, but that will remain to be seen.

Sounds like maybe the Crown will do a cruise around South America like the Grand is doing this year. The Grand cruise was real popular. I suspect that Princess can make alot of money by pricing it higher than this years cruise, but that will remain to be seen.

If thats the case then I'm going to swap from my 31 day on the Golden Princess starting 1 March 2014 to do the full cruise. I just have to check watching out as the Grand 49 dayer, I believed sold out within six weeks.

Edited by icat2000

Hi,

The Princess reservation agent indicated the Crown Princess will be doing a 49-day South America cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 15, 2014.

Chuck

Thanks for providing that information. I wonder when they going to open it up for bookings.

It's Déjà vu all over again.

Last year about this time there were several cruises cancelled for March-April of this year with the same type posts from very disappointed cruisers who had been booked on those itineraries.

The cruises cancelled last year for 2013 and cancelled now for 2014 involve cruises at the end of the announced schedule, a schedule that was issued about two years before the cancelled cruises. If I remember correctly, most of the cancelled cruises last year were done so the ships could get to Europe earlier in the season than previously planned.

It appears that as Princess works on the following season's schedules, they often revise the tail-end of the current schedule.

To me, the way this is done is very poor public relations. Yes, the cancelled cruises are over a year away, but that does not diminish the disappointment of those who booked on those cruises and were excited to be on them. Because these cruises are so far in the future, Princess does not feel the need to offer any compensation (discount on an alternate cruise, some OBC) for this disappointment. True, the booked passengers on these cruises are not out any money, but it is still a negative experience that does not enhance Princess' reputation in their minds.

The lesson to be learned is if you book a Princess trip for the end of the announced schedule, don't be too excited about it as it may get cancelled "due to deployment changes" or "for operational reasons."

Interestingly, the Pacific world cruise for 2014 was also canceled. I wonder if there's a connection.

From what I understand, the Pacific Princess is going to be redeployed to the South Pacific/Tahiti area in 2014...

It's Déjà vu all over again.

Last year about this time there were several cruises cancelled for March-April of this year with the same type posts from very disappointed cruisers who had been booked on those itineraries.

The cruises cancelled last year for 2013 and cancelled now for 2014 involve cruises at the end of the announced schedule, a schedule that was issued about two years before the cancelled cruises. If I remember correctly, most of the cancelled cruises last year were done so the ships could get to Europe earlier in the season than previously planned.

It appears that as Princess works on the following season's schedules, they often revise the tail-end of the current schedule.

To me, the way this is done is very poor public relations. Yes, the cancelled cruises are over a year away, but that does not diminish the disappointment of those who booked on those cruises and were excited to be on them. Because these cruises are so far in the future, Princess does not feel the need to offer any compensation (discount on an alternate cruise, some OBC) for this disappointment. True, the booked passengers on these cruises are not out any money, but it is still a negative experience that does not enhance Princess' reputation in their minds.

The lesson to be learned is if you book a Princess trip for the end of the announced schedule, don't be too excited about it as it may get cancelled "due to deployment changes" or "for operational reasons."

Very true. I think I've had two cancelled because of moving to Europe early. And I'm silly enough to be thinking about Emerald's last Caribbean cruise...think I might hold off on that a while

I received this yesterday.

Princess Cruises is pleased to announce new Exotic spring 2014 sailings for Crown Princess and Pacific Princess including a maiden deployment for Crown Princess sailing around the southernmost tip of South America! Awarded "Best Itineraries" by readers from Recommend magazine for a record setting nine consecutive years, Princess continues as the destination leader in Exotic destination trades, and these new sailings embody Princess’ dedication to worldwide deployments.

Crown Princess will sail for the first time to the Southern Hemisphere on a 49-day South America Grand Adventure from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. This comprehensive navigation of the southern continent includes an overnight stay in Rio de Janeiro during the famed Carnival, an overnight in Buenos Aires, scenic cruising of the southernmost tip of South America, an optional Machu Picchu overland excursion as well as a maiden call to the west coast of North America. Also available for sale will be a 33-day Brazilian& Cape Horn Grand Adventure from Ft. Lauderdale to Santiago, and a 30-day Andes & Cape Horn Grand Adventure from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles.

Due to the popularity of our signature Tahiti & French Polynesia voyages, Pacific Princess will be redeployed to the South Pacific to offer three more departures of the 10 day itinerary sailing roundtrip from Tahiti (Papeete). In addition, Pacific Princess will offer new departures of a 16-day New Zealand & South Pacific sailing from Sydney to Tahiti; a 12-day Hawaii& Tahiti sailing from Tahiti to Honolulu and a 10-day Hawaiian Islands crossing from Honolulu ending in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Pacific Princess’ 2014 World Cruise will be cancelled as a result of this deployment change, however the first segment of the cruise will remain on sale as published. This 35-day sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Sydney features a transit of the Panama Canal, calls to Ecuador, Peru, Easter Island, French Polynesia and New Zealand before arriving in Sydney on February 25, 2014.

Crown Princess and Pacific Princess retain all of the hallmarks of Princess -providing a relaxed, rejuvenating retreat at sea and offering an endless variety of entertaining, engaging options and signature innovations on Crown Princess such as Movies Under the Stars and The Sanctuary. Furthermore, as with all Princess’ vessels, our friendly crew delivers warm and welcoming service allowing passengers to escape completely with Princess – The Consummate Host.

The new voyages will be open for sale at 12:00 noon January 22, 2013 PST.

WATCH FOR ITINERARIES AND PRICING

Thanks for providing the information.

Does anyone still have the pricing that they offered for the Grand Princess 49 dayer around the Horn (pricing in the brochure). I thought I had kept it but must have deleted the PDF. It would be good as a comparison to compare when they release the pricing of the Crown Princess. I believe the pricing on the Grand Princess cruise was fairly reasonable.

We are in the process of booking a 7 day cruise in mid February, 2014. We realize from these changes that our only choices are Royal to Eastern Caribbean and Western Caribbean out of Houston. We loved the southern Caribbean and are disappointed that we won't have this choice available.

Very true. I think I've had two cancelled because of moving to Europe early. And I'm silly enough to be thinking about Emerald's last Caribbean cruise...think I might hold off on that a while

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question, but what would be the dates of Emerald's last Caribbean cruise?

If the Crown ends up in Los Angeles after the South America cruise, have they announced where she will be going once she arrives in Los Angeles? Hopfully they have a year round (especially during the summer months) Pacific Coastal Cruises. I don't think they will do that, but I can hope! It's very frustrating that once Summer arrives, all of us here on the West Coast (including Arizona, Nevada, Utah) who have kids on their summer breaks, can't escape the heat and do a nice coastal cruise for summer vacation. They put a ton of ships in Alaska, and there is nothing in the California Market. It seems like each summer I see last minute Alaska cruises discounted to around ~$300. If they are discounting last minute Alaska cruises, it seems that they are having a hard time sailing full (it's no wonder they aren't full when there are SO many ship in Alaska!). I could be wrong about them not sailing full, but I am not sure what to make of the last minute discounts they offer. Seems to me that a Pacific Coastal cruise a couple of times during the Summer departing out of San Diego or LA would be absolutely perfect for all of the families in the Southwest/Coastal areas. With flying being so expensive and such a hassle, we love being able to drive to the Southern California area for a cruise...but we are tired of Mexico and summer time is just too hot down there anyway.

It seems like Princess is charging a decent amount of money for the few Pacific Coastal cruises they offer, and that they fill up pretty quick. Could be wrong about that too, but it just seems like a market segment (especially during summer months) that could be huge for them.

If the Crown ends up in Los Angeles after the South America cruise, have they announced where she will be going once she arrives in Los Angeles? Hopfully they have a year round (especially during the summer months) Pacific Coastal Cruises. I don't think they will do that, but I can hope! It's very frustrating that once Summer arrives, all of us here on the West Coast (including Arizona, Nevada, Utah) who have kids on their summer breaks, can't escape the heat and do a nice coastal cruise for summer vacation. They put a ton of ships in Alaska, and there is nothing in the California Market. It seems like each summer I see last minute Alaska cruises discounted to around ~$300. If they are discounting last minute Alaska cruises, it seems that they are having a hard time sailing full (it's no wonder they aren't full when there are SO many ship in Alaska!). I could be wrong about them not sailing full, but I am not sure what to make of the last minute discounts they offer. Seems to me that a Pacific Coastal cruise a couple of times during the Summer departing out of San Diego or LA would be absolutely perfect for all of the families in the Southwest/Coastal areas. With flying being so expensive and such a hassle, we love being able to drive to the Southern California area for a cruise...but we are tired of Mexico and summer time is just too hot down there anyway.

It seems like Princess is charging a decent amount of money for the few Pacific Coastal cruises they offer, and that they fill up pretty quick. Could be wrong about that too, but it just seems like a market segment (especially during summer months) that could be huge for them.

Princess also pulls all the ships out of the Caribbean each summer.

No announcement on what will happen after the SA cruise. It is interesting that they have changed the Crown and the Pacific, so they will both be on the West Coast in April. There is speculation that the Pacific might do a 14 day Alaskan cruise that has been offered several times in the past.