Aunt and Uncle Removed from Sapphire Princess

deepriver719

there isn't enough info in your post to give you a specific answer. If your Aunt was extremely ill, in one of the ICU beds on the ship, yes, Princess would make arrangements to transfer her to a hospital because the ships resources in this case are very limited.

The statement you made:

"You can either leave the ship on your own, or the Captain will remove you". They are now stuck in Hawaii. Has this ever happened to anyone?

This sounds like something else was going on - more like inappropriate behavior or something to that effect. I actually witnessed Capt. Fortezze say this to an unruly passenger a few years back.

If it was a situation of critical illness, the Captain might know about the situation but the medical staff arranges a medical transfer.

I don't think you're getting the whole story.

Why so negative? It happens all the time that people get sick (especially heart attacks) and they are removed from the ship at the next port.

They also don't arrange medical transfer since you would need to pay. They will work with you to arrange medical transfers, but it needs to be in tour name so you get charged.

I have been on three cruises where people were kicked off the ship for medical reasons. Yes, they are asked to leave voluntary, but if they refuse the captain will kick them off.

You have to do nothing but have a medical condition where you might die on the ship or the doctors feels he does not want to

Why so negative? It happens all the time that people get sick (especially heart attacks) and they are removed from the ship at the next port.

They also don't arrange medical transfer since you would need to pay. They will work with you to arrange medical transfers, but it needs to be in tour name so you get charged.

I have been on three cruises where people were kicked off the ship for medical reasons. Yes, they are asked to leave voluntary, but if they refuse the captain will kick them off.

You have to do nothing but have a medical condition where you might die on the ship or the doctors feels he does not want to

The OP post was extremely negative. People who are gravely ill are not "removed" involuntarily - it's for their own benefit to get the medical care they need that can not be provided on the ship. And yes, the medical center on the ship does arrange transfer to the proper facility, depending on the patient's diagnosis. They just don't dump them on the dock and say go find a hospital bed!!! If you have trip insurance (Princess or other) it pays for much of transfer etc.

To the OP:

Since you seem to have time to monitor the responses to the thread you started, it would be very helpful if you could enlighten everyone who responded by giving some sort of update on your Aunt's health problems.

You seemed upset and concerned about Princess' treatment of your relatives and a clearer picture of the situation would be helpful.

It is rude and unkind to drop out of the conversation when so many have tried to be supportive and offer advice.

Enough said.

Thank you very much for posting what, I am sure, many of us were also thinking. You did it in a kind and gentle manner. If CC had a "like" button, I am sure you would get many "hits".

Renee

The OP post was extremely negative. People who are gravely ill are not "removed" involuntarily - it's for their own benefit to get the medical care they need that can not be provided on the ship. And yes, the medical center on the ship does arrange transfer to the proper facility, depending on the patient's diagnosis. They just don't dump them on the dock and say go find a hospital bed!!! If you have trip insurance (Princess or other) it pays for much of transfer etc.

Technically, I do believe that people who are gravely ill can and will be removed involuntarily. The Captain is not willing to risk the lives and safety of crew members or a rescue team in an attempt to get a passenger off of a ship when he doesn't have to, i.e., you know you're sick while you're in a very acceptable port but about to begin a 4-day ocean crossing.

Anyway, the same thing has been said 20 different ways. It would be very nice if the OP came back and told us what happened and how his aunt is doing.

I don't think health insurance is an issue. I have medical insurance and went to the Medical Ctr on my recent cruise. They never even inquired about health insurance before they treated me. However, my insurance, as most, will not cover international waters. We had trip insurance (always get it and hope we won't need it)and are working on getting reimbursed. I really think they want people off the ship if they are more serious and can't be treated properly by the ship's medical staff.

How "sad" that they will hold Princess responsible for the illness your aunt incurred, but as a nurse I can tell you the family would have great cause to be upset with ANY line that tried to take someone with SERIOUS health issues along when the return trip to the west coast is several days at sea without ANY help available.

Why would ANYONE put the health and well being of a loved one at serious risk for ANY reason?? I am sorry your aunt is sick, but feel if she was that ill, any good Doc would have made the same call on ANY cruise lines. I think you are "blaming" someone you should be grateful to for putting the health and welfare of your ill family member 1st.

How "sad" that they will hold Princess responsible for the illness your aunt incurred, but as a nurse I can tell you the family would have great cause to be upset with ANY line that tried to take someone with SERIOUS health issues along when the return trip to the west coast is several days at sea without ANY help available.

Why would ANYONE put the health and well being of a loved one at serious risk for ANY reason?? I am sorry your aunt is sick, but feel if she was that ill, any good Doc would have made the same call on ANY cruise lines. I think you are "blaming" someone you should be grateful to for putting the health and welfare of your ill family member 1st.

Excellent common sense reply. No one wants to have a vacation interrupted, but dying or ruining your health enroute to the next port is obviously far worse.

Hope the aunt and uncle are doing okay, that's the important thing. Sounds like an excellent decision to have them on land where there would be a hospital to address any long-term healthcare needs. This has been a very informative thread in a way...it's good to think ahead about what each of us would do if a serious medical situation would arise. My uncle had a heart attack at sea and the ship dropped both my aunt and uncle in Bermuda (not a planned stop) so my uncle could be in the hospital there. He stayed there for at least 3 weeks I believe. Think about that..3 weeks in a place you know no one. But my uncle received wonderful medical care there, thank God for that. And so what happened to my aunt you might ask, where did she live, how did she afford to live there? They have some sort of system set up in connection with the hospital where there are local people...kind souls...who offer an extra room in their homes for just these sorts of occasions. These people were absolutely wonderful to my aunt. She took the local jitney bus twice a day to the hospital to visit my uncle who only had limited visitation hours. The rest of the time she spent sightseeing on those very same buses and had dinner with the people who offered their home to her. Bermuda, my hat is off to you!

Wow, what a great story! I love Bermuda!! That's what I don't understand about this thread, the OP won't come back because she feels attacked, but, why are they "stuck in Hawaii"? OP hasn't provided any info about them, but, I assume they are US citizens. All they have to do is hop on a plane. I'm not saying it's not expensive, but, whip out the credit cards and worry about it later. They don't need passports or anything. Why are they stuck?

She took the local jitney bus twice a day to the hospital to visit my uncle who only had limited visitation hours. The rest of the time she spent sightseeing on those very same buses and had dinner with the people who offered their home to her.

Excuse me!!!!

We do not have "jitney buses" - we have regular ordinary covered air-conditioned buses just like everywhere else that is not in the caribbean. OK, I'll admit that they are pink ...

Here's a picture of one in St George:

http://bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/

Otherwise, thank you for your comments about Bermuda's healthcare system which is very good for an island of it's size - I should know, I spent my whole career as a critical care physician at the hospital - before I retired to the cruisin' life :) !!

Excuse me!!!!

We do not have "jitney buses" - we have regular ordinary covered air-conditioned buses just like everywhere else that is not in the caribbean. OK, I'll admit that they are pink ...

Here's a picture of one in St George:

http://bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/

Otherwise, thank you for your comments about Bermuda's healthcare system which is very good for an island of it's size - I should know, I spent my whole career as a critical care physician at the hospital - before I retired to the cruisin' life :) !!

Sorry if I got the "jitney" info wrong, Doc. I was told the story by my aunt a little over 20 years ago so maybe I don't recall all of the details correctly.

Best wishes for a thoroughly enjoyable retirement. May the number of awesome cruises you'll take be directly proportional to the many lives you saved over the years.

To the OP : Hope your Aunt is doing ok now, sorry for the health issues she had. However I would understand the Princess Dr. and Captain wanting your aunt to be in a health facility on land. Breathing problems can be caused by many different things, one being as one previous poster said blood clots in the lungs. I know this as my husband had clots in both lungs and was immediately put in the icu at our local hospital. And they found the clots after a series of tests including ultra sound and ct scans, I don't know if the ship has those test capabilities, my husband almost died because of this and I was so grateful for the medical treatment available to us. So it sounds like the Dr. and staff had your aunts welfare as their first concern. Hope she is well now.

Cori

To the OP : Hope your Aunt is doing ok now, sorry for the health issues she had. However I would understand the Princess Dr. and Captain wanting your aunt to be in a health facility on land. Breathing problems can be caused by many different things, one being as one previous poster said blood clots in the lungs. I know this as my husband had clots in both lungs and was immediately put in the icu at our local hospital. And they found the clots after a series of tests including ultra sound and ct scans, I don't know if the ship has those test capabilities, my husband almost died because of this and I was so grateful for the medical treatment available to us. So it sounds like the Dr. and staff had your aunts welfare as their first concern. Hope she is well now.

Cori

Surviving a pulmanary embolism is a miracle from what I understand. If in fact that is what she had, they would have to keep her for at least a week to dissolve the clot.

One of the major causes of PE is air travel. I suspect that the doctors would be extra careful dismissing a patient that needed to fly back to the mainland.

As an aside. If you or anyone you know flies a lot, make sure you get up at least 1 per hour and walk a little.

I flew to San Juan from 10 months after my PE and the doctor was very nervous for me as we had not yet diagnosed the root cause.

It is a good idea to rub your calves vigorously if you can't get up.

Actually the cruise that we are going on in April has Ensenada at the first stop on the way to the islands according to the itinerary.

Trust me, it is a mistake.... I have done this cruise three times on the Golden and always stopped in Ensenada the last day... You should call either your TA or Princess to confirm.

I just checked the website by the way and, indeed, it shows Ensenada as the first stop... Maybe Princess changed things around?

Ok the lesson learned by my family and I is: Be prepared if you are asked by the ship's dr to leave for any medical reason, have a contingency plan in place. Also be sure you have enough money or some form of trip insurance to get back home.

Further to your lesson - having trip insurance won't give you money right away; you'd have to pay up front and then get reimbursed from the insurance company and it can take months. Can't believe someone would go travelling and not have a "contingency plan" in place!!!

Ok the lesson learned by my family and I is: Be prepared if you are asked by the ship's dr to leave for any medical reason, have a contingency plan in place. Also be sure you have enough money or some form of trip insurance to get back home.

Thank you for coming back here to check in. Would you please tell everyone who responded to you in this forum how your Aunt is doing? We are all hoping for a happy ending for your family.

It is a good idea to rub your calves vigorously if you can't get up.

OMG! Please, please, NEVER rub your calves vigorously, EVER, especially if you are prone to blood clots. Rubbing will dislodge the clot and send it straight to your lungs. :eek::eek:

OMG! Please, please, NEVER rub your calves vigorously, EVER, especially if you are prone to blood clots. Rubbing will dislodge the clot and send it straight to your lungs. :eek::eek:

That was the advice of the pulmonary doctor and general dr.

If you have a pain in your calf don't do it go straight to er.

Was I given poor advice?

The idea was to prevent a clot while on a 5 hr flight. If u think you have one by all means do not ru your caves.

Archived