Aunt and Uncle Removed from Sapphire Princess

deepriver719

A couple of years ago I was short of breath, at the age of 36. I actually was that way for a couple of days before I realized it might be a pulmanary embolism. I went to the doctor and they did tests for the next 24 hours. I had a large blockage in both arteries and they would not let me get out of bed to go to the bathroom for the first couple of days.

If that is her issue, bed rest and blood thinners are necessary.

Most pulmanary embolisms end in fatalities. I was lucky.

I wonder if that is what they diagnosed her with potentially?

I agree with others that there must have been something terribly wrong with her. Years ago, we left San Juan and by 11:00 my mother was feeling bad and we called the doctor. By midnight she couldn't breathe and was put into the medical facility. She spent the next 3 days of the cruise there with pneumonia and bronchitis. When this hits her it is serious. The treatment she got was top notch. Cost her more than the cruise LOL (had to pay before she got off) but worth every penny. What ticked her off most was missing out on the cheesecake. I told the restaurant that she wanted cheese cake. They offered a piece. I said, no a piece wouldn't do - so they sent her a whole cheesecake.

During a cruise to Costa Rica while we were on a rafting excursion with Princess my daughter went into the water and somehow - weirdly - ended up with something in her eye. As the day went on she got worse. Back on the ship we went to the doctor's office and they had to surgically remove a piece of metal from her eye - no charge.

We've had miscellaneous encounters with the medical staff over the years and I've always been pleased with the treatment, handling and follow up of the staff. One time the doctor even bought me lunch!

This happened on our last cruise ...an elderly lady over 90 went to the medical centre and was given the same directive. Something to do with her not having health insurance.

Not having health insurance would never be the reason as the ship's medical center does not accept insurance of any kind.

Any medical center charges will be added to your onboard account. If you do have insurance which would cover the situation, you must apply for reimbursement once you get home.

My mom had bronchitis on a cruise this summer. The doctor was fabulous. We were told to stop by the clinic every day so he could make sure she wasn't getting worse. I felt we had better care from him then we did from her doctor at home. Her doctor back home was impressed with the care she received on the ship - the ship doctor gave us a packet to give to our doctor so they knew back home what they did on the ship.

We asked about disembarking and he indicated that she could stay on the ship as she wasn't that bad.

On EpicI caught bronchitis and a big eye infection on our transat . The doctors tookgreat care of me gave me meds and i was better innotime plus i got excellent service from HotelManager and staff .Drs called every day it was wonderul service

I got sickbecause we went from 26 c in bcn t o O degrees in Florence ..it wasbone chilly and. I wasnot dressed for. It i got a dumdinger of a cold ...I know I know viruses and all but getting chilled out does not help

My Aunt and Uncle are on a two week Hawaiian Cruise on the Sapphire Princess. My Aunt had been to the ships Doc with breathing problems. When the ship docked in Oahu, the Doc told them: "You can either leave the ship on your own, or the Captain will remove you". They are now stuck in Hawaii. Has this ever happened to anyone?

If we feel we must respond to the question a simple yes or no should suffice. In my case, NO.

Wow.

If I were having a hard time breathing, especially enough so to seek a doctor, I would be begging the doctor to give me an order to get off ship that the insurance company would accept! Who could be calm knowing that you are in the middle of the ocean, thousands of miles from land...and need a full blown hospital???

Now the question begs- There are two levels of insurance protection, would both cover this enough for treatment and to get home? Do I need to upgrade? Can I upgrade?

K, so I'm a little concerned now. This trip to Hawaii will be the furthest and longest I've been away from land. Nervous nelly.

My husband was put off the ship and hospitalized for a week in Maui last year. We had Princess platinum coverage plus coverage I bought with my airline tickets. Jeff's expenses were fully covered but mine were not. Since we were in the US our Blue Cross plan covered most of the medical and Princess insurance covered the rest. In terms of my expenses, I got a daily per diem of $100 per day for hotel and meals and taxi costs plus reimbursement for my air costs and reimbursement for unused cruise days we missed. However the maximum reimbursement for these expenses was was the cost of the cruise. My hotel (the cheapest in Maui) was more than $100 per day and my air costs home were over $1000. My expenses were more than the maximum. Fortunately the extra insurance I bought through the airline paid for my unused ticket from LA to home and also paid $1,000 in trip interruption coverage. This extra plan was cheap and I was so glad I had it. Check out the limits of the insurance plan you have and you may want to buy a cheap extra plan. I know I will always buy a little extra coverage in the future.

To the OP:

Since you seem to have time to monitor the responses to the thread you started, it would be very helpful if you could enlighten everyone who responded by giving some sort of update on your Aunt's health problems.

You seemed upset and concerned about Princess' treatment of your relatives and a clearer picture of the situation would be helpful.

It is rude and unkind to drop out of the conversation when so many have tried to be supportive and offer advice.

Enough said.

Take a look at the Golden Princess. Both the on line agency and Princess have the ship stopping in Ensenada first.

Actually the cruise that we are going on in April has Ensenada at the first stop on the way to the islands according to the itinerary.

The April 10th sailing must be the extremely rare exception as for years the Ensenada stop has been always on the last day of the cruise before heading back to LA as far as I know. In the OP's relatives case, the Hawaiian islands would come first.

There are one-ways (other cruiselines, except for repos) in which the cruise itself starts in Ensenada and ends in Hawaii. The alternate sailing will start in Hawaii and end in Ensenada. The Hawaii/Tahiti cruises don't need to stop in Ensenada, obviously.

Archived