Fire Aboard Carnival Triumph

sapper1

Someone, I think on this thread but too long to reread, posted that there was nothing Carnival could do to cancel any Triumph cruises when there were engine or propulsion problems on a previous cruise because there would be too much bad publicity and passengers who were there to board would be furious if their cruise was suddenly cancelled.

Maybe just me, but if I arrived for a cruise and found it cancelled because of engine or other serious problems that might compromise safety, I would say "THANK YOU, Cruiseline". I would appreciate they were willing to cancel and take a financial loss and were not jeopardizing my safety and well-being on a sick ship.

Let's take this a small step forward and say that we arrive at the airport, heck at the gate and find that your flight has been cancelled because of a mechanical proble, OK. YOU and I would be saying Thank You!!! But I cannot remember how many people, the 3 or 4 times it has happened to us, have been raving lunatics because they cannot get on THAT plane and get to their destination(s), or that the airline will not/cannot just fly in another plane to get them there...........

No matter what a company does, they are going to be seen as in the wrong..........

You make to much sense for some people Peaches.

Joanie

I think the same way as you. I read a bit of the beginning of the Carnival thread. At the beginning of this people were upset at the thought that they would cancel the next cruise. Some people have a few screws loose.

The biggest problem with those that get upset when their cruise is canceled is because they are naive', uninformed and just plain really do not understand and are not seasoned travelers. Most people are not avid readers of Cruise Critic and even those that have just started still do not understand. You would be shocked at the number of people that think that a cruise line has spare ships sitting around and can just place another ship in it's place. (many of the same people that think they can get from NYC to St Thomas in a 3 day cruise or the person who wants to go from Miami to Hawaii no flying in one week.) They also think that parts for ships can be purchased at Pep Boys and they can just fix it like their car. For many especially those that do the three and four days cruises this may very well be the first cruise and the $299 per person was a lot of money and to have their Dream Vacation vanish in a blink of an eye just does not make any sense to them. Granted I totally agree that I would rather they fix a disabled ship but those that do not comprehend can also be quite verbal and get quite upset. So I agree that Carnival or any cruise line is caught in the middle... which way do they go ....Stop and fix the ship upsetting hundreds that most likely will get verbal and call television stations and with this costing a loss in revenue for the canceled sailing or put a band-aid on the problem hoping they have fixed it enough to run, get the passengers on board to spend money and for the most part are happy cruisers. In this case Carnival gambled and they lost. I do not doubt for one minutes that every single other cruise line out there including HAL plays this same game. Sometimes you win... sometimes you don't.

Guys, take a look (full screen) and see if I am seeing things here......Looks to me as if there is smoke coming from the stack(s) of the Triumph???? http://www.fox10tv.com/generic/video/LiveStream_FOX10 It also appears that she is moving now, not a a dead stop as she had been after a tow rope brke an hour or so ago.....

Joanie

WOW! I'm watching CNN and they're now talking to people on the ship. According to their version, the tow line didn't break...it ripped the cleat or whatever it was attached to, right off the ship. CNN is also starting to show photos of life on board. :eek: This PR is even better for the cruise industry than Concordia. CNN also has experts talking about pax lack of recourse for this whole deal.

First Tweeted photos from inside the Triumph (the 3rd photo really hit me): http://www.khou.com/news/slideshows/Photos-First-look-inside-Carnival-Triumph-191247721.html?gallery=y&c=y#/news/slideshows/Photos-First-look-inside-Carnival-Triumph-191247721.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=0&c=y&c=y

Oh, and by the way, remember where The CEO of Carnival was during the Costa Concordia?? He was at a Miami Heats game then....and news is now showing him again at a Heats game.....You'd think he'd have some sense of right and wrong.....When I say wrong, I mean that even though he might not be able to do anything, he should at least have some thoughts of looking like he is totally oblivious to the people that help keep him a multi millionaire:(

Joanie

Lots of cell calls being made now to CNN news as well as pictures and videos of the conditions that existed on the ship.

Raw sewage was "raining" down the walls of the elevators according to one passenger who posted a photo of it. The floors are slippery because of it and two women have been reported to have fallen and broken their hips.

The irony of serving steak and lobster tonight is blowing me away. This ship has to be in the channel by 7pm EST in order to be able to dock tonight.

CArnival is now on the receiving end of some very bad press with all the pictures being uploaded to Facebook and Twitter, yet they're reporting an uptick in cruise bookings this week.

Well the line on the tug has broken and they are even going to be later getting in than planned - also looks like a long bus ride for some.

Watching CNN - it doesn't look good. There is a lady out of medicine that needs help. People waiting on the dock anxiously. There but for the Grace of God........

the situation is even worse than I thought assuming you can trust what you hear on the news. sad.

While I totally agree things are absolutely terrible on board, I do feel that CNN and the others are sensationalizing this. They are interviewing a guy that is giving nothing but positive things about Carnival. It is the CNN Reports that are trying to spin this to be even worse. Like I stated I do know this is really bad but they love to repeat things over and over :D

It must be agonizing for those on board so close to land but still have to wait up to 7 hours before docking.

Anyone know when the last serious incident aboard a HAL ship was?

all I can recall have been some engine shutdowns/delays for about 2 to 4 hours.

Other than that - of course, the old Prinsendam"s fire is infamous (and everyone was saved)

Now, my memory is short so I could be wrong.

While I totally agree things are absolutely terrible on board, I do feel that CNN and the others are sensationalizing this. They are interviewing a guy that is giving nothing but positive things about Carnival. It is the CNN Reports that are trying to spin this to be even worse. Like I stated I do know this is really bad but they love to repeat things over and over :D

I agree with you about the sensationalizing. Others have posted about an earlier cell phone interview CNN conducted with a female passenger onboard who praised the crew for their unflagging efforts, and the CNN reporter continually tried to steer the conversation in a more negative direction. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I wish all the best for those poor people, and hope a return to normalcy occurs for them soon.

First Tweeted photos from inside the Triumph (the 3rd photo really hit me): http://www.khou.com/news/slideshows/Photos-First-look-inside-Carnival-Triumph-191247721.html?gallery=y&c=y#/news/slideshows/Photos-First-look-inside-Carnival-Triumph-191247721.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=0&c=y&c=y

Oh, and by the way, remember where The CEO of Carnival was during the Costa Concordia?? He was at a Miami Heats game then....and news is now showing him again at a Heats game.....You'd think he'd have some sense of right and wrong.....When I say wrong, I mean that even though he might not be able to do anything, he should at least have some thoughts of looking like he is totally oblivious to the people that help keep him a multi millionaire:(

Joanie

Mr. Arison was tending to business for one of his other business interests...... He owns the Miami Heat. While he was there, the President /CEO of Carnival Cruise Line was making the appropriate statements and addressing the press.

I'm not defending Mr. Arison's being seen on TV at the game as the best PR move ever but it isn't like he could personally do anything the CEO/President of Carnival wasn't doing.

There seem to be conflicting reports from guests on the ship that are now calling news stations. One man called CNN and reported the crew and Carnival were being wonderful. He said it hasn't been all that bad aboard for many. He did acknowledge some on the ship were having a harder time than others. Perhaps just have a balcony made it more tolerable? I can't quite figure out what is the truth about the food or lack of it. There are differing reports.

Mr. Arison was tending to business for one of his other business interests...... He owns the Miami Heat. While he was there, the President /CEO of Carnival Cruise Line was making the appropriate statements and addressing the press.

I'm not defending Mr. Arison's being seen on TV at the game as the best PR move ever but it isn't like he could personally do anything the CEO/President of Carnival wasn't doing.

Please hear (read) me out please to understand what I am trying to say?

1. I agree he is a businessman and is supporting one of his business interests, namely, the Miami Heat. He did the same darned thing during the Costa Concordia tragedy.

2. HOWEVER, he, in my opinion, would have been better off sitting at home, watching the darned game on TV instead of looking like he does not give a damn for over 4,000 lives.

It is called showing compassion and caring for those people who help you maintain the life style to which you were either born to or made/make money from.

Even if he does not care for the lowly people who pay to cruise on one of his ships, or the people who work for him, he should not be showing that disdain by showing his face in public by attending a game.

I feel that he'd be doing a heck of a lot more by showing his face either at the Port of Mobile or even at a press conference outside of the Carnival Corp headquarters. NOT showing his face and not speaking up and saying anything makes him look like a ...........you fill in the blank, I cannot think of the right word to use for how I think it makes him look other than uncaring...........

And Lisa, I agree with you that the media, not just CNN, are all trying their best to make this a lot worse than it is. I mean come one folks, do you really believe the mother standing at the Port in Mobile, when she said her daughter and others were given bottled water that was brown:eek: NO WAY, NO HOW!!! The media is making it worse than it is as are some of the passengers....it is called exaggeration.

Joanie

You're right and anyone who tries to make anything out of it is simply trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Mr. Arison, as was his father, is an astute business man. He is not known as a particularily compassionate man.

While I cannot speak for him, I would expect that perhaps he thought things were being handled, so he went to the ball game.

Terrible PR, but no surprise. Business as usual.

His stock is down about 6% in the last couple of days. That's a pile of money....most of it his.

IMO

Apart from the personal discomfort issues, and the health issues, the real issue is loss of power. This can be an extremely dangerous situation.

Just imagine how dangerous a loss of power issue would be in the mid Atlantic or anywhere else where the seas are high and land is several sailing days away. HAl has not been immune from this situation so it would not be prudent to sit back and say that it happens on Carnival bit could not happen on Hal or any other cruise line.

Please hear (read) me out please to understand what I am trying to say?

1. I agree he is a businessman and is supporting one of his business interests, namely, the Miami Heat. He did the same darned thing during the Costa Concordia tragedy.

2. HOWEVER, he, in my opinion, would have been better off sitting at home, watching the darned game on TV instead of looking like he does not give a damn for over 4,000 lives.

It is called showing compassion and caring for those people who help you maintain the life style to which you were either born to or made/make money from.

Even if he does not care for the lowly people who pay to cruise on one of his ships, or the people who work for him, he should not be showing that disdain by showing his face in public by attending a game.

I feel that he'd be doing a heck of a lot more by showing his face either at the Port of Mobile or even at a press conference outside of the Carnival Corp headquarters. NOT showing his face and not speaking up and saying anything makes him look like a ...........you fill in the blank, I cannot think of the right word to use for how I think it makes him look other than uncaring...........

And Lisa, I agree with you that the media, not just CNN, are all trying their best to make this a lot worse than it is. I mean come one folks, do you really believe the mother standing at the Port in Mobile, when she said her daughter and others were given bottled water that was brown:eek: NO WAY, NO HOW!!! The media is making it worse than it is as are some of the passengers....it is called exaggeration.

Joanie

Joanie,

Wow..... Thank you for explaining. :)

This is CNN's big story of the day and they are hyping it up. The reason we're getting conflicting reports from the passengers seems to be that those on the lower decks had more problems. When the ship listed, raw sewage flowed into their cabins. ALso, there was a flood from somewhere(sorry, I can't remember where) and some of the mattresses that were outside got wet.

Everyone had a different experience, and from what I understand, they were all trying to help each other out. People were helping older people navigate the stairs.

There is now only one elevator running which is why disembarkation will take so long.

No matter the hype, this has been a very bad situation for many passengers; some more so than others.

Archived