Fire Aboard Carnival Triumph

sapper1

Fire in an engine room, or other area can happen on any ship. That's one reason to limit smoking on a ship, so it doesn't start someplace else, like in a cabin or public room..

Wow what a segway to the posters true intent of their post. What does an engine fire have to do with smoking. Let me guess, a cigarette or cigar started the engine fire!!!!!!

This is the third engine room fire that has caused this type of problem on a Carnival vessel, and all three of them were not started by cigarette or cigar smoking.

Smitty

I'm thinking you'd likely have a different opinion if this happened to you. This has to be a nightmare. No other way to paint it.

I'm sure it is, but I stand by my statement that if this week is the worse thing that ever happens to these people, they are lucky.

My father, sisters and their families lived for weeks without electricity or fresh food following Hurricane Katrina. They ate MREs and drank bottled water they had to wait in hours-long lines for EVERY day. None of them count Hurricane Katrina as the worst thing that ever happened to them.

I am no expert but I believe that tendering is usually fairly close to the shore. This ship is in the middle of the ocean.

The suggestion was to tender guests to other vessel(s) which (hopefully) could have been dispatched. Yes, I get it easier said than done. But one would think a little ingenuity could have resulted in something better than this.

I just heard a report that Carnival has decided they will increase the 'compensation' to the guests an additional $500.

Tonight's Fox news reported the coast guard sending a generator to the Triumph to increase the amount of power on board. Maybe that will help things a bit.

They're due in Mobile tomorrow afternoon.

I'm sure it is, but I stand by my statement that if this week is the worse thing that ever happens to these people, they are lucky.

My father, sisters and their families lived for weeks without electricity or fresh food following Hurricane Katrina. They ate MREs and drank bottled water they had to wait in hours-long lines for EVERY day. None of them count Hurricane Katrina as the worst thing that ever happened to them.

The difference is they were not on a ship in the middle of the ocean. These people are captive. Yes, it's not the worst thing that could ever happen, but it's right up there. There was also warning before the hurricane. At least there was an option to get out of there. I'm thinking your family likely got some aid or compensation. Something you feel these people don't deserve.

The suggestion was to tender guests to other vessel(s) which (hopefully) could have been dispatched. Yes, I get it easier said than done. But one would think a little ingenuity could have resulted in something better than this.

I just heard a report that Carnival has decided they will increase the 'compensation' to the guests an additional $500.

The only time you really can evacuate is life / death situation, which this isn't. The ship has no stabilizers and is listing varying degrees because winds are hitting the hull. They were having 6-8' seas Monday and Tuesday morning to boot. That's deaths waiting to happen.

If you watch tender ops on a extremely calm HMC day you see people fall every time, basically. You can't risk manage successfully an evacuation 200 miles from shore.

Wow what a segway to the posters true intent of their post. What does an engine fire have to do with smoking. Let me guess, a cigarette or cigar started the engine fire!!!!!!

This is the third engine room fire that has caused this type of problem on a Carnival vessel, and all three of them were not started by cigarette or cigar smoking.

Smitty

My true intent was to say that fire on a ship is a very serious thing, no matter where or how it is started.

This could have just as easily been a HAL, a Princess, a Celebrity, or an NCL ship. I doubt whether the results would have been any different.

It really concerns me when I see any cruise line cutting back on mtce. Why, because I am more concerned about what I do not know or cannot see than I am with mtce issues that are obvious to my inexperienced eyes.

It Is why we,like others, vote with our feet and do our best to avoid the 'clunkers'-regardless of the cruise line. Not worth taking a chance with our money or our time.

The fact is it happened on the Carnival Triumph. It not much of a "fun ship" at the curent moment. Let us hope the tug boat can get them to port soon so those poor passengers and crew can get off that ship until it is repared--if it can be reparied. Perhaps, if any of the readers of this post are of a mind to do so, it might be apropos to pray for the people who are enduring this horrible night miror right now.

All of those people are having a miserable time, but having a miserable time for a week does not entitle you to financial compensation. It was an accident. Stuff happens. Suck it up.

This has to be a really bad experience. Not one I want at all. But, still, if this is the WORST thing that ever happens to these people in their lives, they are damn lucky.

For a lot of cruisers yes but what about the cruisers with chronic medical conditions that were made worse by the conditions they had to live in for four-days . What about the parents with babies aboard who are sick due to the conditions ?

This argument makes sense if you don't think about it for more than a second. Your family wasn't on a cruise vacation. Engine room failures are not an act of God.

I am sorry that that the hurricane was not the worst thing that happened to your family. Many perished in that disaster. I am delighted none of your family members count among them.

Why is it that people in our society seem to think that they deserve financial compensation for every bad thing that happens to them? All of those people are having a miserable time, but having a miserable time for a week does not entitle you to financial compensation. It was an accident. Stuff happens. Suck it up.

This has to be a really bad experience. Not one I want at all. But, still, if this is the WORST thing that ever happens to these people in their lives, they are damn lucky.

I tend to agree with you but we do live in a litgius soceity. There will be a lawyer someplace who will be promising money if they sue.

I tend to agree with you but we do live in a litgius soceity. There will be a lawyer someplace who will be promising money if they sue.

What in the world could you find to agree with? Nothing in seeking compensation for a cruise when the ship catches fire and it goes dead in the water leaving a handful of toilets for thousands of people left to eat onion sandwiches in the dark suggests people in our society think they deserve financial compensation for every bad thing that happens to them.

And that lawyer you mention...be grateful he or she is there, because it is because of lawyers that our cars are safe, buildings don't fall on our heads our water is potable and our food is contamination free.

Smooth sailing to you Himself.

First of all, I hate what happen on the Triumph. When people go a vacation, you are often going to relax and enjoy yourself. The total opposite happen and instead of a short vacation, they are in the middle of an extended mirage of major issues.

I've sailed on the Triumph in 2010 and had water damage to occur in my cabin mid cruise. I just wanted the luggage and items damaged by the water cleaned. Carnival went beyond what I expected. Within minutes of the damage, housekeeping was there to clean up. The manager from housekeeping and the front desk checked with us daily.

For the troubles, the sail and sign was cleared, received around 50% refund from the cruise and 25% off booking another cruise. The refund check was mailed less than a week from the cruise.

While Carnival is offering compensation for what's happening, I bet by Monday we will hear about lawsuits. That's the way people are in these times.

As for the ship age (she start sailing in 1999), Carnival is not the only cruiseline with older ship. HAL has five ships older than this still sailing and one the same age. Quite a few of the other mainline cruiselines have older ships. Often these ships are use for the shorter cruises.

While Carnival is offering compensation for what's happening, I bet by Monday we will hear about lawsuits. That's the way people are in these times.

And what times would these be? Would these be the times that cruise companies lobby government to "free enterprise" and reduce government regulation? Would these be the times that shareholder market economies demand growth and profit every quarter?

It is the cruiselines that want the industry left to the magic of the marketplace. Well, customers coming back at you with double barrel attorneys when they are dissatisfied is all part of that model. Cruiselines say don't regulate us, don't tax us, and you say don't litigate them.

Cool.

No one seems to realize the fact that the stabilizers aren't operating. Think of

how it must be to have motion sickness compounded with the horrific conditions on that ship. That ship is just a-rocking away all the time.

There are reports of vomit on the decks etc. Seeing and smelling that stuff on a rocking ship is really bad, when you're rocking away. :eek: I found that out on a ferry, coming from Block Island, waves were 16 feet high that day.

On the Norwegian Star out of the port of Houston many years ago we lost power, air conditioning, missed ports etc. it was not pleasant for 2-3 of our 7 days. We got a partial free cruise (port charges, taxes & transportation not incl.) on the Norway. It went dead in the water for a short time. Not a big deal, but cause for concern.

I have now been bumped on my Feb. 16 & Mar. 30th cruises on the Triumph. Carnival & my great agent there has worked with us & we are now booked on Magic & Sunshine!

The difference is they were not on a ship in the middle of the ocean. These people are captive. Yes, it's not the worst thing that could ever happen, but it's right up there. There was also warning before the hurricane. At least there was an option to get out of there. I'm thinking your family likely got some aid or compensation. Something you feel these people don't deserve.

I never said they don't deserve some compensation -- Carnival is already offering compensation. I've also said that IF this was due to poor maintenance or practices on Carnival's part the company should be held accountable. IF someone suffers lasting health problems because of this, they should also have recourse to ask for additional compensation.

Most of my family evacuated during Katrina -- two of them had jobs which required them to stay during the storm -- and the rest of them couldn't stay away for weeks so they went back to their lives when the "all clear" was given -- they still had no electricity, etc..

I honestly can't believe that you think the people on this ship are having an experience equal to a natural disaster. They haven't lost their homes or their lives. They are having a few really, really rotten days.

I am happy for you that your life has been so blessed that you think this incident would the worst thing that ever happened to you. I mean that sincerely, I am not being sarcastic. You have truly been blessed in life.

No one seems to realize the fact that the stabilizers aren't operating. Think of

how it must be to have motion sickness compounded with the horrific conditions on that ship. That ship is just a-rocking away all the time.

There are reports of vomit on the decks etc. Seeing and smelling that stuff on a rocking ship is really bad, when you're rocking away. :eek: I found that out on a ferry, coming from Block Island, waves were 16 feet high that day.

That's the truth. I was on a cruise that went dead in the water with no power for several hours and the rocking and rolling was unbelievable. And the seas were just normal, not rough or in bad weather. Unless you've experienced it you can't understand the difference between a moving ship with stabilizers and a ship just bouncing and rolling in the waves.

The 'suck-it-up-shi(p)-happens-you're-getting-a-refund' attitude just blows my mind.

I really empathise with people on rocking ship . I have been in Caribbean manyrTimes but this past January the seas were rough because of winds . I was told we had to leave St Maarten early because of these winds .We rocked quite a bit. With engine poweron ...i could just imagine what being towedwoulddo Without power . So to add to the misery onboard theynow are seasick

I.m not sure if I understood some people got off in Mexico others went to Mobile because they did not have passports???

I hope they now know you always need a passport....you never know .....what if ship was closer to Cuba ...thenwhat???

Why is it that people in our society seem to think that they deserve financial compensation for every bad thing that happens to them? All of those people are having a miserable time, but having a miserable time for a week does not entitle you to financial compensation. It was an accident. Stuff happens. Suck it up.

I never said they don't deserve some compensation -- Carnival is already offering compensation. I've also said that IF this was due to poor maintenance or practices on Carnival's part the company should be held accountable. IF someone suffers lasting health problems because of this, they should also have recourse to ask for additional compensation.

Most of my family evacuated during Katrina -- two of them had jobs which required them to stay during the storm -- and the rest of them couldn't stay away for weeks so they went back to their lives when the "all clear" was given -- they still had no electricity, etc..

I honestly can't believe that you think the people on this ship are having an experience equal to a natural disaster. They haven't lost their homes or their lives. They are having a few really, really rotten days.

I am happy for you that your life has been so blessed that you think this incident would the worst thing that ever happened to you. I mean that sincerely, I am not being sarcastic. You have truly been blessed in life.

Take a look at your top post. Sure looks like you say they don't deserve compensation. You don't know anything about my life so just leave that alone. Sure would be nice if you had some compassion for folks other then yourself or family members.

It is the responsibility of a carrier to preserve your life and health. Full stop. Best efforts and "ship happens" don't count.

"Do or do not, there is no try" --Yoda

Yes, That !! ^^

Above all, one has the absolute right to expect their health and safety are preserved during their 'luxury' cruise.

That is an expectation that goes without argument.

Take a look at your top post. Sure looks like you say they don't deserve compensation. You don't know anything about my life so just leave that alone. Sure would be nice if you had some compassion for folks other then yourself or family members.

I have compassion for those people on that ship. I also have a sense of perspective -- it is a few days out of their lives where they experienced something really unpleasant, scary, and uncomfortable. I sincerely hope no one suffers permanent health problems because of this incident. Most of the people on that ship will go home, have about a dozen hot showers, and be just fine. They did not die and they did not lose their homes.

I mentioned my family's experience with Katrina in order to try to introduce that sense of perspective into this conversation. A hurricane that leaves hundreds dead and thousands of people homeless for months (I believe some people in Florida were in trailers for YEARS after their series of bad storms) is a tragedy. This is an unfortunate accident. That is called "perspective". It is not a lack of compassion. It is common sense.

Edit: To address the issue of "compensation", again, Carnival has already offered compensation for this incident -- a full refund, a free cruise, money on top of that. Compensation is supposed to "make whole" your loss it is not supposed to be a financial windfall. No one can give them a pleasant vacation. They can only be made whole financially and their financial losses are being made whole.

Archived