Carnival Offers Generous Compensation to Triumph Passengers

LauraS

Money and compensation seem to be the most important issues in this incident. I wish Carnival had been as specific regarding the actual living conditions aboard ship as it was about it's compensation plan. But, to state the obvious, they don't want us to know just how deplorable things can get when things go bad.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I agree. I do not know what is fair in this instance but it seems to me that this is far from generous. Even though Carnival is reimburising for expenses and offering another cruise, many of the people will never cruise again. Also this years vacation may be gone and there is no way to compensate for that. Like I said before its hard to say what is fair.

Aren't Celebrity and HAL owned by Carnival Corp.?

On my last ship in the Navy we had a high pressure fuel line develop a small rupture which resulted in fuel being sprayed into the engineroom. If the rupture had occurred on the other side of the line then fuel would have been sprayed onto the hot engine which would have resulted in a fire. Nothing mechanical involved at all.

I just did a search and unless it's not current, P&O, Cunard, Princess, Seaborn, Holland America, and Costa are all under the Carnival umbrella!

Stewpapa- Carnival is being generous all they had to do is refund passengers fares and also didn't have to pick up their tabs which to me was the right thing for Carnival to do but they went beyond, they giving all passengers equal cruise credit for another cruise.

The ships that stopped to aid the Triumph, trust me those passengers were all out on deck watching they were excited they were able to help her. Their itinerary was not altered in any way they made their next port.

Im laughing..you say one of Carnivals ships should of picked people up and bring them on board hahahahaha....sorry but its too funny, do you realize all the problems that would of created? Lets see, transporting passengers from one ship to another is dangerous,. getting from one ship to the other people would get hurt. It would also cause kaus. The ship that "would of picked them up" only have limited cabins for these people and why effect another ships passengers with problems? Its just like they didn't pull down the lifeboats to let the passengers in and transport them to a port, its just dangerous overall.

I can't believe (Im sorry to say the words but I say it nicely) how not smart people just are here.....

Mermaid 72 you really think that Carnival wanted this to happen? Do you believe in accidents, things breaking down such as your computer, and electronics and such? So your saying nothing ever breaks down and that includes the ships propulsion?

Equipment does break down including engines even in cars, they can die, they can have problems and not work properly, this is all called unforseen, uncontrollable problems that happen in life.

Trust me, if people will sue Carnival, Carnival will win because its beyond their control, it was not planned nor did they want or expect this to happen. They compensated the passengers in the best way possible.

BlaBla Bla... How about negligence.

Interesting that Cruise Critic feels the compensation is generous. What seemed generous a couple of days ago doesn't seem as generous today. I think the only people whose opinion matters are still on the ship. Their opinion would be interesting.

Unfortunately, Carnival will probably offer confidential settlements and a confidentiality agreement will certainly be a condition. So, we may never know what actually transpired aboard the ship .

I am a huge fan of cruising and Cruise Critic, but this article fumes me too much not to comment. I agree with another poster that Carnival's offer is "adequate", but by no means of the imagination is it "generous"! I think the article is just a PR job for Carnival. These poor passengers have had an extraordinarily stressful and harrowing experience in unsanitary conditions. They've missed work and pay, which would have a severe effect on many families. I think it's wonderful that Carnival is offering a future free cruise, BUT I highly doubt most of the passengers are ever going to set foot on a cruise ship again, let alone a Carnival ship, so this perk is useless to them. I hope Carnival is humble, apologetic, and adds to their offer.

Sorry your post was pulled. YES i want honest posts! debbie

yesterday i posted as the 3rd person to the "Carnival is generous" posts. My response to those posts was pulled. Laura my post was not troll like and no worse then others I've recently read here. So do you want honest posts or not?

....They've missed work and pay, which would have a severe effect on many families.

FCCs won't help pay bills and put food on the table. I'm fortunate to work for an organization that is more flexible and wouldn't have a problem with me taking 4-6 (maybe more) unexpected days off and, luckily, I would have vacation pay to cover the loss of work, but I'm betting many people on that cruise are not as fortunate. I'd say there is a 100% chance that Carnival is preparing to offer settlements, but in return, passengers who accept will not be allowed to speak much of their experience.

How about Carnival Magic? It left from Triumph's home port this past Sunday afternoon, roughly 8-9 hours after Triumphs's accident.

Transfering 3k pax WITH their luggage at sea would be dangerous. IMO unless in immediate danger they are better off where they are for now. The compensation seems fair until you get to the future cruise part. 25% off 3-5 day and 15% off 6-7 day futire cruises seems unfair.

this is our thoughts exactly.. but.... how do we all go about making Carnival recognize that the 2/11 sailing is inconvenienced moreso than the 2/16 sailing and therefore should receive a better compensation package, as well as the ability to use the discoun toward ANY cruise, not just a 3-5 day trip.

I was on the Splendor swine flu cruise. On day 3, while sitting in Cabo next to a RCL ship with its passengers in port, we were told our cruise was going to San Francisco. We ended up stopping back in Long Beach on Thursday for people who wanted to get off early, but they were told at the time there were no refunds.

So we left at the end of the week with nothing for the inconvenience. Then we started hearing about the offer Carnival was giving to the future cruisers - people who had a chance to change their plans were being given a better deal than those of us with no options. On CC a large letter writing campaign began. And it worked. They ended up giving us half off a future cruise. And we were able to use it on a cruise already booked.

The short version is, if you're unhappy with the compensation, tell them. Get everyone else to tell them. Someone posted the email addresses of the board of directors. I emailed every single one of them. I emailed, snail mailed, anyone and everyone I could think of. So did everyone else. And we got out discount, as did those who were on the Ecstasy that week.

They've made their offer. The only chance they'll change it is if as many as people as possible voice their displeasure of it to as many people as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

....... and there really was a consiracy to kill JFK;) Me thinks the kool aid dispenser has moved to the other side of the aisle. How did the stock do after the Splendor. I realsize it is not a daunted Janpanese corporation, but overall the stock seems fine to me. Maybe you should but some after the dip and before the resurgence.

Some ppl thought NOLA would never "come back", our country was going to crumble after 9/11 and that every snow storm is an end of world event. No doubt that yogi with kool aid likes drama too. Hes got Carnival falling like Rome over 1 very bad event. (or 2 if you're keeping track of recent bad events)

After Concordia there were many threads about how ships would sail half empty for months since "everyone" is going to quit crusing or rethink it. BLIP in the radar I say again.:cool:

Now Carnival is kicking in a extra $500 for those currently on Triumph. They are making out like bandits. Refund of their cruise costs for a cruise that was basically over. An extension of their cruise for a few days at now extra charge. The price of the cruise applicable to a future cruise. And now an extra $500. I'm thinking Carnival should also throw in a 1099 and let them pay taxes on that much compensation, it is way beyond generous.

Now Carnival is kicking in a extra $500 for those currently on Triumph. They are making out like bandits. Refund of their cruise costs for a cruise that was basically over. An extension of their cruise for a few days at now extra charge. The price of the cruise applicable to a future cruise. And now an extra $500. I'm thinking Carnival should also throw in a 1099 and let them pay taxes on that much compensation, it is way beyond generous.

$500 to spend four days sleeping on the deck , no toilets , little food , unsanitary conditions ?

I was on NCL Majesty several years ago. They tried to save money by using one tug when the port authority said they needed two and could not get out of the cut in St. Georges. The ship under a different captain and the current captain while on a different ship had both collided damaging the reef and anchored yachts, so they should have listened. We could not get out and stayed an extra day. We were allowed to get off the ship for about an hour a few times in between attempts to leave--enough to shop but not enough time for sightseeing or beaches. It was boring to be stuck on the ship but no comparison to what these people are experiencing.

We got into port a day late so everyone missed their flights and typically booking last minute flights one way cost 4 times or more what the original fare was. Some people could not get a flight for a couple days and incurred hotel costs and more missed time at work.

NCL did not help at all. Their "compensation" was:

A free 3 minute phone call

They did not require us to pay tips for the extra day but told us if we didn't the crew would not be paid--so I think people paid.

Again, being stuck on a ship in port was no comparison to this, but NCL took no responsibility for their poor decision and their passengers incurred a lot of extra expenses as a result.

So, I think Carnival is being much more honorable in trying to make amends.

Some people will think nothing is enough while others will feel content. Human nature:).

$500 to spend four days sleeping on the deck , no toilets , little food , unsanitary conditions ?

A refund of your cruise and transportation costs. The price of your cruise in credit toward a future cruise. Plus $500.

Toilets were available within a day. Little food? Cruise ships have tons of food. Unsanitary conditions? The crew is working overtime cleaning. There has been no outbreak of disease. The ship is probably cleaner than most of the passenger's homes.

Unfortunately, Carnival will probably offer confidential settlements and a confidentiality agreement will certainly be a condition. So, we may never know what actually transpired aboard the ship .

Yes, I'm wondering if everyone is going to be signing on the dotted line as soon as they get off the ship.

A refund of your cruise and transportation costs. The price of your cruise in credit toward a future cruise. Plus $500.

Toilets were available within a day. Little food? Cruise ships have tons of food. Unsanitary conditions? The crew is working overtime cleaning. There has been no outbreak of disease. The ship is probably cleaner than most of the passenger's homes.

Limited toilets were available . Food was limited . The people were sleeping on the deck , no showers , and maybe there is no disease ? Sarge , I usually agree with you but frankly Carnival has been having problems and needs to up it's maintenance .

Limited toilets were available . Food was limited . The people were sleeping on the deck , no showers , and maybe there is no disease ? Sarge , I usually agree with you but frankly Carnival has been having problems and needs to up it's maintenance .

Showers are available. Nobody, but nobody has ever starved to death on a cruise ship. Two other cruise ships dropped off additional supplies. The Coast Guard has been shadowing the ship.

The only food that was limited was limited HOT food. Even coffee has been available.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

I haven't read all six other pages, so forgive me if this sentiment has already been shared. My heart is truly breaking for those who have small children on board. Our little guys cruise with us almost every time. A perfect cruise has its challenges with our two boys. I could not even begin to imagine what it would be like dealing with these conditions while trying to keep things "normal" for my children.

Even if a quarter of what I am reading is true, another cruise would not be compensation enough for that kind of experience. It's not exactly a land based vacation where one can say, hey...this hotel stinks and my kids just want to go home. Let's head out early. I mean you are truly stuck.

We are booked for the Magic in September, so here's to hoping for the best. I mean what are the chances really?

I'm impressed.

Did you actually go aboard or are you piecing together tidbits and guessing like the rest of us.

I can speak for only myself and say.....my home is more clean than floors touched by overflowing toilets.

Archived