Holland America Lines Disasterdam

ejammer

In the cruise contract, Holland America takes no responsibility for providing information about required documentation.

11. Compliance with Laws/Minors: Immigration, health and other laws, both in the United States and other countries, may require that you obtain a certain visa, hold a passport, be inoculated, obtain parental consent or otherwise obtain documentation prior to entering or returning to a country. It is your sole responsibility to take all steps as may be required to enable you to comply with these laws. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers. Provider strongly recommends that you obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Provider assumes no responsibility for gathering or providing said information to you.
With wording like that, HAL employees should not answer visa, inoculation, or passport questions.

Every is telling the OP he/she should have gotten a passport -- I agree. I truly believe it should be similar to a social security number, you have to get one when you are born in order to be a dependent on the tax forms -- why not make a passport the same. My granddaughter has had a passport since she was a year old -- born in the US to US citizens -- but had one in case a travel opportunity came up. She never used it until recently and she had to renew for her trip -- but just saying.

I'm retired military. My son was born in Germany on an AF Base. As parents we had to take responsibility in processing the necessary paper work so our child had no future issues other than being an American citizen.

Thirty some odd years ago but there was a process that we were briefed about and actions we took in order to make his citizenship a non-issue in future years.

It worked.

Gotcha on that baileyboo22. No problem. While I don't entirely agree that the Eurodam is blameless (at least the staff), I see your point, and do not want to mislead anyone. I will change the title now...as I can figure out how to do it.

Edited by ejammer

Good for you aliaschief. Too bad you weren't around to advise my parents 57 years ago. Since I obtained my Eagle Scout Award, served in the U.S. Navy Presidential Honor Guard, obtained a White House and a Top Secret Security Clearance, was Honorably Discharged, and have never traveled outside of the U.S. since arriving here at 8 months old, my citizenship issue has never been questioned before now. (Oh, and yes, I had all that official documentation with me too, for overkill, just in case. Obviously none of that mattered.) I do think it did add some more insult to my injury that, even though, I could prove I had so honorably served my country, yet I couldn't be allowed to go on a 7 day cruise to and from the same U.S. domestic port.

On another note, I noticed too from your literary of past cruises that you where on that Eurodam cruise that was disembarking as we where attempting to board, which was the alleged cause of the custom officers 3 hour delay in helping us because of all the sick people he had to take to the hospital. I am curious about whether you may know any details about what might have happen to them?

Edited by ejammer

Gotcha on that baileyboo22. No problem. While I don't entirely agree that the Eurodam is blameless (at least the staff), I see your point, and do not want to mislead anyone. I will change the title now...as I can figure out how to do it.

The time alloted for you to edit the title or body of your original post has expired. In order for you to edit it, you need to contact Host Walt who is the Moderator for this forum. He is the only one who can edit a post written that long ago.

You can hit the red triangle at the top right corner of that first post to send him your request,,,,,,, if you wish.

OP: I didn't read through all these pages, but since you say you have printed documentation that shows you were told you would be allowed to board, I would pursue it with HAL once again. If you booked with a travel agent, perhaps they could mediate for you. If you booked direct, I would try asking for supervisors. I would also write a very polite letter to corporate describing your situation and stressing how you were mislead by their employees.

I know many are saying you should have gotten a passport. That is really a mute point. The regulars on CC are well aware of how to minimize troubles when traveling. However, not everyone is travel savy. You thought you were doing the right thing by contacting HAL to find out if you had correct documentation. Unfortunately you learned an unfortunate lesson the hard way: Customer service agents don't always give out accurate information. They don't do it on purpose of course, but they just don't seem well trained in their jobs.

I do hope you will get a fair resolution to your situation. Please keep us informed. I am so sorry your dream vacation never happened.

I repeat: What reason did the captain give for denying boarding?
I would presume it was lack of proof of citizenship. A passport is proof, but it is not the only acceptable proof. A birth certificate from a US state or territory is proof. A birth certificate from Germany is not, unless there is some corroborating proof that at least one parent was a US citizen.

It is not necessary to have a passport for a closed-loop cruise.

Edited by jtl513

Good for you aliaschief. Too bad you weren't around to advise my parents 57 years ago. Since I obtained my Eagle Scout Award, served in the U.S. Navy Presidential Honor Guard, obtained a White House and a Top Secret Security Clearance, was Honorably Discharged, and have never traveled outside of the U.S. since arriving here at 8 months old, my citizenship issue has never been questioned before now. (Oh, and yes, I had all that official documentation with me too, for overkill, just in case. Obviously none of that mattered.) I do think it did add some more insult to my injury that, even though, I could prove I had so honorably served my country, yet I couldn't be allowed to go on a 7 day cruise to and from the same U.S. domestic port.

On another note, I noticed too from your literary of past cruises that you where on that Eurodam cruise that was disembarking as we where attempting to board, which was the alleged cause of the custom officers 3 hour delay in helping us because of all the sick people he had to take to the hospital. I am curious about whether you may know any details about what might have happen to them?

Look again. Haven't been on the MS Eurodam for a couple of years. Thanks for your years of dedicated service to our country.

Just as a little note on this topic , reporting childrens' births overseas and receiving the official documentation is an interesting process. I had to do it for all 3 of my kids.

We ( the baby , DH and I ) had to make an appt at the American Consulate. We had to take foreign birth certificate , hospital records , photos of my pregnancy , ultrasounds and doctor's records as well as proof that I had resided in the US for at least 5 years ( I think that was the number) after the age of 14. I had topresent school records , my American driver's license etc.

We had no issues , received the certiicate of birth abroad , their passports and social security numbers.

Citizenship is a valuable thing ! Probably if the kids had been born on a military base , it would have been simpler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would presume it was lack of proof of citizenship. A passport is proof, but it is not the only acceptable proof. A birth certificate from a US state or territory is proof. A birth certificate from Germany is not, unless there is some corroborating proof that at least one parent was a US citizen.

It is not necessary to have a passport for a closed-loop cruise.

He said he was born in the hospital at the US Military base and his father is a US citizen.. It was not the German hospital and he had the documentation showing he was a US citizen.

Furthermore, if this is the same itinerary as the Eurodam is presently doing, the denial of boarding is even more egregious. The Eurodam calls at San Juan, St. Thomas (last I looked, both Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands are US Territories), Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay. Now I am aware that Grand Turk and HMC are not in the US but when was the last time a passport was needed at HMC? Grand Turk is in the Turks and Caicos and I understand that theorectically they could ask for passports, but I seriously doubt it.

The problem as I see it, is that those processing the check in at Fort Lauderdale are not used to seeing anything other than a Passport or Birth Certificate from the USA and didn't know what to do when they saw something that didn't fit the mold.

I hope HAL makes this right for the OP.

Terri

Edited by tbrein

I am so sorry to learn of your problems but some one screwed up badly when they did not tell you that things have changed since 9//11//01 and that you must have a valid passport to travel.

Simply stated...you are wrong! Check out the Fed govts various sites...like ICE or US Passport office.....AND you wil discover that you still do not need a passport to travel in certain areas! If the cruise originates and ends in a US Port, no passport is necessary. You will still need a birth cert and a gov issued pictue ID.

"US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization. NOTE: Baptismal records and certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable."

The problem as I see it, is that those processing the check in at Fort Lauderdale are not used to seeing anything other than a Passport or Birth Certificate from the USA and didn't know what to do when they saw something that didn't fit the mold.

I suspect that's it in a nutshell.

The biggest problem I see in fighting this is that it was NOT Holland America Cruise Line that denied the boarding. While I totally agree that HAL may have misinformed him and or like I stated before there was missed communication when he asked if the documentation he would be using would be sufficient. Technically HAL does not have final or any say. I am actually surprised that HAL did not advise this... For complete documentation information visit the US Department of State website: http://www.travel.state.gov

I believe somewhere in their web site they do. HAL has already informed him in writing that it is his responsibility to obtain proper documentation to travel.

I also wonder how the conversation went with the US Immigration Officials at Port Everglades. They are normally quite accommodating unless pushed the wrong way. Sadly by stating and repeating things such as

Since I obtained my Eagle Scout Award, served in the U.S. Navy Presidential Honor Guard, obtained a White House and a Top Secret Security Clearance, was Honorably Discharged, and have never traveled outside of the U.S. since arriving here at 8 months old, my citizenship issue has never been questioned before now. (Oh, and yes, I had all that official documentation with me too, for overkill, just in case.
You stated obviously this does not matter and sadly it does not, what does matter is having the proper identification to prove you are in fact a US Citizen. Serving in the US Military does not prove that.

While YES HAL made some errors in this but it is the passengers that must take full responsibility which in Holland America's Cruise Contract they have made clear and in print. I am sure HAL would have much preferred you board the ship and had you as a guest where you might actually spend more money and the cabin steward that was cleaning you room earned more tips.

A birth certificate from Germany is not, unless there is some corroborating proof that at least one parent was a US citizen. .

I am attaching copies of my original certified birth certificate here with my name, and the names of my parents, blocked out for privacy purposes. Also, attached is a copy of with translations in green for those who don't speak German. As you can see my father was a U.S. Army soldier, married to my German mother at the time of my birth at the U.S. Army hospital. Of course, I had both of these with me too, along with a folder full of other supporting documentation like my parents marriage and citizenship certificates, my U.S. Navy Honorable Discharge Certificate, DD214, Tennessee Drivers License, and Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Award (Try and get one of those without U.S. citizenship!).

977815489_MyBirthCertificatewNamesDeleted.jpg.5a3e94d9f846ba0a47978cdb84cbf359.jpg

277607504_MyBirthCertificatewtranslation-namesdeleted.jpg.f509a0bbd44d3e1be640fe04b35616ac.jpg

I just don't understand why people would not get a passport. HAL gave bad info but the OP needs to accept the blame for this.

For certain cruises apparently it hasn't been necessary. Even under these circumstances, there are reasons for getting one...important reasons but they fall on deaf ears on this board.

I am truly sorry for the misinformation the op apparently received. To everyone who reads this thread though - GET A PASSPORT WHEN YOU CRUISE.How much more plain can you be.

To the OP, if they did board you and you had a medical or other emergency and had to discontinue your cruise, you would need a passport to fly home. It is required by law.

Sorry for the mess. Hard way to learn.

Thank you, ejammer, for continuing to participate inspite of the nasty criticism given by many posters! You replied, unlike numerous "one hit wonder" posts. I am sorry for your situation and hope you get a resolution.

Karen