MS Westerdam & MS Nieuw Amsterdam Sail-Aways 3/17/13

aliaschief

That line attached to the end of the gangway goes up to a block & tackle on Boat deck. When the SO gets the word from the bridge to "take in the gangway", the boatmen will lift the end of the gangway, the part that sits on the dock, then pull/man-handle that entire bad boy inside. A 3rd boatman will haul butt up to boat deck and disengage the line/block & tackle. It will be dropped and pulled inside by the boatmen inside the gangway break.

The whole gangway will be pulled insidea bit more, leaving enough room to close and secure the break door. The SO will wait until he hears "all green" from the bridge indicating there is a good seal and everything is secure. At that point, that job is done and the guards will secure the podiums, laptops, X-ray machine and metal detector

That line attached to the end of the gangway goes up to a block & tackle on Boat deck. When the SO gets the word from the bridge to "take in the gangway", the boatmen will lift the end of the gangway, the part that sits on the dock, then pull/man-handle that entire bad boy inside. A 3rd boatman will haul butt up to boat deck and disengage the line/block & tackle. It will be dropped and pulled inside by the boatmen inside the gangway break.

The whole gangway will be pulled insidea bit more, leaving enough room to close and secure the break door. The SO will wait until he hears "all green" from the bridge indicating there is a good seal and everything is secure. At that point, that job is done and the guards will secure the podiums, laptops, X-ray machine and metal detector

Thank you for this explanation.

So while we are waiting.....we are on the Eurodam Saturday...what's my strategy? I am port side balcony below the bridge.....Roderdam deck.....thinking of bringing our great state of Louisiana flag.....Any other outstanding things I can do so that I can be seen and so that the MIL can see us sailing away?

Are you talking about the Westerdam sailing late? And I'll have to check the thread more later to see what we're talking about. Back from the Symphony, on battery power in Panera and trying to decide whether to stay for a sailaway or haul a** back home.

Roy

So while we are waiting.....we are on the Eurodam Saturday...what's my strategy? I am port side balcony below the bridge.....Roderdam deck.....thinking of bringing our great state of Louisiana flag.....Any other outstanding things I can do so that I can be seen and so that the MIL can see us sailing away?

You might want to notify Lou and Dave and request a sail away wave. It's somewhere on one of their pages.....

Bon voyage!

We sailed on the Eurodam one year ago. We took our Oregon blanket and stood on the aft top deck. That spot seems to get the most exposure since they can follow you out of the port. So if you want to be seen for the longest time on the webcam, stand at the aft!

Archived