Tips Regarding Your Personal Security In-Port

Maligator

Thanks for a very informative post. I plan on purchasing a slash proof camera strap and keeping it around my neck under my shirt. What are your thoughts on that?

You may find that they don't care if it's around your neck and you may find yourself being dragged along or thrown to the ground if they grab your camera. You might be better to avoid the bravado and let them have the camera....it's better than a broken arm, face planted in concrete, etc.

You may find that they don't care if it's around your neck and you may find yourself being dragged along or thrown to the ground if they grab your camera. You might be better to avoid the bravado and let them have the camera....it's better than a broken arm, face planted in concrete, etc.

It will only be a point and shoot. You still think I will be vulnerable?

It will only be a point and shoot. You still think I will be vulnerable?

If they want your camera, let them have it. If you doubt that, get that unbreakable strap, put it on and find a strong friend to grab your camera....you will quickly understand why you want it to break away.....

Rick Steves also recommends leaving the car unlocked in Italy and Spain to show that there is nothing worthwhile in it--but if you are driving from one city to another with your luggage in the trunk, you can't really do that.

We travel often to Hawaii, mostly Kauai. We took the advice of other bloggers and left the windows down and the doors unlocked. We returned to our car to find that several Kauai chickens had made a home of it with windows rolled down. We managed to shoo them out, unfortunately, they left behind some souveniers :eek: and we're not talking eggs here. So I just assume not leave anything out and close up the windows.

Thanks for such great tips!! I also recommend Pacsafe products. With slashproof straps and tamper proof zippers it's the only cross body bag I use on vacation. We're embarking on a month long Europe trip in May and I'll be observing all of the tips you've laid out for us :) There will be loads of pick pockets on the trains..

I have just bought a pacsafe handbag. Looking at it you would never realise how secure it is. I like the idea that you can lock the zipper. I'm usually the one to carry the passports so having the RFID pocket is a great idea.

Travelling when I was younger I always used a neck pouch under my clothes but now with a few extra kilos it doesn't feel as comfortable.

I hope that this handbag will be comfortable to carry around all day and I got it big enough to put my camera in when not using it.

Thanks for the reminders. I am very much a head on a swivel person.

We always do the -leave a person with the bag, that's why all my bags are neutral colors. That way the boys don't mind sitting with it :)

I don't think that anyone mentioned drinking moderately - if one has to drink alcohol.

A staggering tourist is an easy target.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

I always divide my assets, and try to only carry what I need for the day. For example, I take one credit card off the ship and leave one in the safe. I also only take the cash I expect to need off the ship, and leave the rest in the safe.

We were exploring a port one day when my Mother paniced because she had lost her bottle of pain pills. She later found them on in the cabin, where she had left them, however, I was horrified to discover she'd been carrying around the whole bottle with her. If she lost them all, she would quite literally be in a world of pain the entire rest of the trip. Quite simple to leave the bottle, take a few pills only the pill or two off the ship that you'd need each day, expecially with any prescription that is not easily replaced while overseas.

Another question. We have been planning on taking our IPad with Rick Steve audio files to listen to while we tour around in Rome and Athens. Our daughter who travels in Europe was aghast when she heard my plans. She said all we had to do was pull that out and it would be taken. Any thoughts?

Another question. We have been planning on taking our IPad with Rick Steve audio files to listen to while we tour around in Rome and Athens. Our daughter who travels in Europe was aghast when she heard my plans. She said all we had to do was pull that out and it would be taken. Any thoughts?

Have you considered picking up an iPod Mini? Smaller than an iPad and if someone does steal it, it's no big loss.

Some great ideas/tips in this thread :)

I have had to do personal security courses for work and the three things I have always stuck in my mind when traveling are:

1) Never carry anything you are not prepared to lose

2) No possession is worth your life - if they want it, give it to them

3) If you are somewhere and you feel uncomfortable - move on. Trust yourself.

Safe travels everyone :)

Have you considered picking up an iPod Mini? Smaller than an iPad and if someone does steal it, it's no big loss.

That is what we used. The audio guides are wonderful, but not worth losing an iPad for. The tiny iPod Mini is cheap and effective. We had one each and synchronized the start times of our guides so we did not have to repeat the information for each other. The only time we took iPads off the ship was to find a free internet site, and then we kept them well concealed while we walked around.

Sheila

Found this on a cruise info site this AM. Much of the same you suggest:

Here are tips to cruise port safety:

1. Use A Reputable Company. This can start before you even step foot on your cruise ship. If you don’t book through the cruise line, book through a company that vets their shore excursion operators and is not a fly-by-night company. Some third party companies that are reputable are Shore Excursions Groups . Do plenty of research anytime you step foot off the ship – your safety depends on it.

2. Meet New People. It’s not a bad idea to go to the shore excursion talks on the cruise. Even if you book through another company, you can still meet folks who are doing excursions and you will have a familiar face when you’re off the ship. There are roll calls that are on Cruise Critic that let you meet people before you sail.

3. Make Copies of Documents. Always have photo copies of your documents and keep them secure on the cruise ship. A lost passport could cause a lot of trouble when you get back to your homeport. Just a copy of the passport won’t be enough, make copies of the front inside and back page too. Be sure all of your passport information is filled out, including emergency contact information.

You should also make copies – front and back – of your credit card.

4. Don’t Take Everything Ashore. If you are traveling together, it’s smart to leave at least one credit card and cell phone back in the room. If something ever happens, you at least have a way to get home or take care of incidentals aboard the ship. If your card was to get compromised while in port and you didn’t have payment to settle your sail account aboard, the cruise line makes you sign a promissory note that you will settle up when you get home – no one wants that hassle.

5. Have Travel Insurance. If you were to break your leg or require urgent medical attention while in a foreign port, a lot of health care policies do not cover you when you’re out of the country – for that reason you should have trip insurance. Trip insurance policies are typically a few percent of the overall cost of your trip and could save you up thousands of dollars if you need it.

6. Don’t Be Flashy. Just like when you go snorkeling or diving you don’t wear flashy items because a barracuda will hunt you down – the same goes for being in a foreign port. If you have that flashy diamond ring, an expensive Rolex watch or iDevice, you are just asking to be targeted. Leave your watches, fancy jewelry and iDevices on the ship. Take only the essentials when you head off for your excursion. When you return from your excursion you can always go back on the ship, grab your laptop or iPad and head to the internet cafe.

You would not walk around Detroit or New York City alone at night, why would you 1,000-miles away from home? Be safe, have fun and look after one another.

3. Make Copies of Documents. Always have photo copies of your documents and keep them secure on the cruise ship. A lost passport could cause a lot of trouble when you get back to your homeport. Just a copy of the passport won’t be enough, make copies of the front inside and back page too. Be sure all of your passport information is filled out, including emergency contact information.

You should also make copies – front and back – of your credit card.

I scan all of my important documents, ID, passports, etc. and place a copy in Dropbox. I can pull the information up on either my iPhone or iPad when travelling and never have the originals and two devices with me at the same time. The iPad and iPhone are both password protected, as is Dropbox itself, so I'm not worried about the information being compromised should either one be stolen.

Thank you for posting as a great follow up to my original post of the robbery in St Lucia.....BTW.....my friend has been adviised by the police to the ship that 3 of the 4 men have been caught!

Your post is a great reminder of using common sense......it can happen anywhere, even in our own back yards.

Be safe, have fun and just make your self aware of your surroundings at all times.

Thank you for posting as a great follow up to my original post of the robbery in St Lucia.....BTW.....my friend has been adviised by the police to the ship that 3 of the 4 men have been caught!

Your post is a great reminder of using common sense......it can happen anywhere, even in our own back yards.

Be safe, have fun and just make your self aware of your surroundings at all times.

Where can I find the original post. We disembarked Eclipse @7:45a, in taxi by 8:15a, now looking for information about the incident in St. Lucia.

We have much to catch up as we unpack. I check here first for news.

Thank you.

Marisa

We always use a waterproof camera bag that we swim with.. Not only does it have my point and shoot camera but my iPhone and a few bucks and credit card.

I take a number of memory cards for my camera (they are so cheap) and swap them out every few days. If my camera is stolen - at least I won't lose all my photos.

Know your surroundings and find out about the area you are visiting. We were in Barcelona on a garden path when we thought we were pooped on by birds from above. However, we were squirted by nearby gypsy women who proceeded to try to help us by wiping us down. I went balistic and nearly attacked them for trying to touch my husband's privates - LOL - (near his front pockets). If I had not read about that particular scam - I would have been more vulnerable.

I take the memory card out of the camera every day and back it up to the netbook or laptop we bring with us. I stopped storing the pictures on various memory cards after DH 'lost' our camera bag at a show/dinner while on a land based vacation. We did get it back but I was despondent thinking he lost all our pictures which ended up including some of the last pictures I had before my DB and DF passed away. What a tragedy that could have been!

I'd like to add a few more items to this very important list:

1. When touring in ports, LEAVE your complimentary "ship bag" on the ship. Nothing screams "hey, I am a tourist here" more than carrying around a cheap blue canvas bag that says "Princess" on it.

2. Don't substitute your real jewelry for "fancy fake". Even though it may be worthless, the fake CZ or knock-off watches can still target thieves. If you must wear any jewelry, keep it plain and simple.

3. KEEP YOUR STUFF INSIDE!! Inside. Inside. Inside. I travel with several vests. My ScottEVest is made for traveling and touring. 27 pockets, all hidden zippers = hands-free. DH carries an Eagle Creek neck pouch (inside) for cash & cards, and a small REI "boarding bag" (cross-body) which stays between us when walking. Would never even consider setting anything down!

A BIG thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's going exactly in the direction I'd hoped.

Something that occurred to me as I monitored the progress of this thread is the willingness to help others by adding your tips. I think that can be listed as a security measure in and of itself: Watch out for your neighbors, too. If I'm about to step off a cliff trying to get a shot or some miscreant I haven't noticed is sidling up next to me without my knowledge, I know I'd appreciate a nod or even a Gibbs-style slap to the back of the head to get my attention where I need it. Well...maybe not an actual slap. I tend not to react well to those. :D

Archived