Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

Ask for them when you arrive. They take them all out to be cleaned and sometimes they don't bring them back unless you ask. Make sure you ask for two.

We've only managed to cruise twice so far. Both times we checked the box saying we'd like robes in our room. We didn't get them either time. I checked the boxes again for our upcoming cruise but don't really expect to find the robes there.

You can't book specialty restaurants in advance. Once on board you can call the dine line, DINE, on you cabin phone.

There will also be a "$1,000 Treasure Hunt" on embarkation day. You need to collect 8 stamps on a card for a drawing for prizes. One of the stamps is at Sabatini's. While you are there you can make reservations for both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill and the Ultimate Balcony Dinner if you wish. They might have copies of the dining room menus for your cruise. They should have the schedule for formal nights. The formal night schedule will also be on page 2 of your embarkation day Patter.

I forgot about the treasure hunt. We usually go to the spa open house. They have a drawing for various spa services. Winner must be present. We have entered a few times and won only because the drawing is generally at a time people are at early seating for dinner. We have won a hot stone massage on one cruise and a $100 gift certificate on another.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

1) You don't need a Kindle to read Kindle editions, as there is a FREE reader app for most (all?) of the phones and tablets

2) Documents can be sent (free) to the Kindle or the Kindle App by emailing them. Useful for deck plans, travel insurance policy - especially the list of phone numbers to call for different kinds of travel assistance.

I also added a document with all of the Port Agents on our itinerary - a little peace of mind and no extra paper to carry!

With the Kindle App can you read the books that you purchased for you Kindle?

You can't book specialty restaurants in advance. Once on board you can call the dine line, DINE, on you cabin phone.

There will also be a "$1,000 Treasure Hunt" on embarkation day. You need to collect 8 stamps on a card for a drawing for prizes. One of the stamps is at Sabatini's. While you are there you can make reservations for both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill and the Ultimate Balcony Dinner if you wish. They might have copies of the dining room menus for your cruise. They should have the schedule for formal nights. The formal night schedule will also be on page 2 of your embarkation day Patter.

It's interesting that we find that on some ships the Crown Grill is superior to Sabatini's and on others it's the reverse.

1) You don't need a Kindle to read Kindle editions, as there is a FREE reader app for most (all?) of the phones and tablets

2) Documents can be sent (free) to the Kindle or the Kindle App by emailing them. Useful for deck plans, travel insurance policy - especially the list of phone numbers to call for different kinds of travel assistance.

I also added a document with all of the Port Agents on our itinerary - a little peace of mind and no extra paper to carry!

Good points and I have Kindle on my Kindle, on my tablet, on my phone, and on both of my computers. I love that you can sync it across devices and platforms so you always can start on one device where you left off on another. Also if you want to send documents to your Kindle its email address is listed under "Your Account" > "Your Kindle Account" > "Manage Your Devices"

Edited by Kentskie

With the Kindle App can you read the books that you purchased for you Kindle?

Yes you can. Once you install the app and sign in they'll all be there. It saves so much on luggage space to be able to take a device instead of a plethora of books.

Yes you can. Once you install the app and sign in they'll all be there. It saves so much on luggage space to be able to take a device instead of a plethora of books.

On my iPhone Kindle app all of my purchased books show on the "Cloud" however not all of them are on my iPhone so I use my home Wi-Fi to download them to my iPhone before traveling.

Onboard credit is onboard credit and can be used for anything charged against your account.

Mike:)

I have found that true on Princess but it is NOT true on Norwegian. I found out the hard way after loosing over $100. They eventually issued me a check but it was a bunch of hassle and about 4 months after the cruise. Haven't been back and probably won't.

The evening before getting off the ship, my account balance was $12 that I would owe. Went to bed and the next morning they showed I owed $148. The customer service person at the counter said some of my OBC didn't count for tips and gave me a 800 number to call when I got home.

OBC stands for on board credit. I actually had to ask that same questions also.:) One thing that is nice about CC, most people on this forum don't mind helping out others with quesions. I used to think my questions were dumb:eek:, but then everyone has to start out somewhere learning, right?

OBC stands for on board credit. I actually had to ask that same questions also.:) One thing that is nice about CC, most people on this forum don't mind helping out others with quesions. I used to think my questions were dumb:eek:, but then everyone has to start out somewhere learning, right?

That is right, we were all newbies at one time. So ask away

That's what we are here for, to exchange information.

I can't tell you how much CC has helped me over the years and I try to pass it on.

Mike:)

On my recently completed cruise several veterans weren't aware that they qualified for OBC. It's been a benefit for nearly 2 years & it's surprising when agents don't inform them about this great thanks from Princess. Not everyone reads CC however it is on the Princess website in several locations to inform all veterans. :)

I remember when MUTS first started I had no idea what it was and thought maybe it had to do with the SPCA :rolleyes: Fortunately some kind person straightened me out.

Can't you get then if you connect to WiFi in port or on board, or with your 4G?

Edited by Kentskie

I have the kindle app on my ipad so I can download the books. Try looking at pixelofink.com. They offer a free newsletter with lots of both free and low cost books. I have a bunch downloaded and can pick and choose.

Louise

In addition to Pixel of Ink ( http://www.pixelofink.com ) try these sources for free and inexpensive Kindle books:

Ereader news today:

http://ereadernewstoday.com

and Bargain Booksy:

http://bargainbooksy.com

Can't you get then if you connect to WiFi in port or on board, or with your 4G?

Yes, you can. You can also get them while on board the ships, but it might be pretty slow, and expensive. This is for internet downloads - I don't know about the Kindle "Whisper-net" for Kindle-only devices. Anybody know about that?

Yes, you can. You can also get them while on board the ships, but it might be pretty slow, and expensive. This is for internet downloads - I don't know about the Kindle "Whisper-net" for Kindle-only devices. Anybody know about that?

I've used it on board ship and there was no charge and it was fast. But I don't know if it still would be with the new paradigm of getting every dime. :rolleyes:

And you're right wifi on board ship is hideously slow and terribly expensive. I try not to use it too much but, as you can probably tell, I'm an internet junkie and withdrawal is hard. On our trip to Hawaii I didn't use it until we'd left the last island. Oddly enough I was ok with it. Oh for the days when we weren't connected at all and had to relax. I say we're the most and least connected generation in history. The most because we have so many ways to connect with people but also the least as witnessed by the number of people you see in a restaurant not talking to the people they're with but texting. I always wonder if they're texting each other.

Edited by Kentskie

I have a kindle, an iPad and an iPhone. I know I am brining my iPad and iPhone, still trying to decide on the Kindle. It's the original Kindle Fire, so a little hard to use outdoors. But the main reason I want to bring it is to have something to read by the pool. Not too keen on bringing that $1000 iPad and leaving it on my chair while I take a swim....

Either way, the 3 of them will be lighter than all the books I would lug!

I have a kindle, an iPad and an iPhone. I know I am brining my iPad and iPhone, still trying to decide on the Kindle. It's the original Kindle Fire, so a little hard to use outdoors. But the main reason I want to bring it is to have something to read by the pool. Not too keen on bringing that $1000 iPad and leaving it on my chair while I take a swim....

Either way, the 3 of them will be lighter than all the books I would lug!

I have a Kindle Paperwhite which one can read anywhere as it has a built in light. I love it for that reason. It's the third Kindle we bought. We each have one and I would still have had mine were it not for the fact that I dropped it on the garage floor and did something to the screen. It looked like an Etch-A-Sketch. I also like to read books on my Samsung Tablet and phone and was glad I could while I was waiting for my new Kindle to arrive.

Thank you. My DW loves her Kindle and she will soon be getting her own IPad.

The only disappointing part about the tea time was that the tea was Lipton, poured from a silver teapot. When you are seated, you walk past a beautiful display of different types of tea (Darjeeling, English Breakfast, etc.), so I found it peculiar that they served Lipton.

On my last two cruises on the Island Princess, I brought my own loose leaf tea and they were kind enough to brew a pot for me. As far as Thomas Lipton goes, maybe it's just an homage to the man who represented England several times in the top sailing race in the world, the America's Cup.

On my last two cruises on the Island Princess, I brought my own loose leaf tea and they were kind enough to brew a pot for me. As far as Thomas Lipton goes, maybe it's just an homage to the man who represented England several times in the top sailing race in the world, the America's Cup.

You're like Helen Mirren who never travels without her PG tea. :)

I just saw this thread and I am enjoying it immensely. I am slightly intimidated by Roll Call group for my August 16 British Isles cruise. They seem to be light years ahead of me (a 20 cruise vet but I have never been on Princess). Thank you all for the tips.