Why no life guards??

hladygirl

Its probably a bigger liability issue if they have lifeguards and don't have the warning signs. In their current set up, users of the pools do so at their own risk and have been warned that there is no lifeguard. Similar with most hotels today.

Why do cruise ships not have lifeguards at the adult or children's pool? Wouldn't this be a liability issue?

They don't want to pay for life guards. As far as liability they disclaim it. Unless someone succesfully challenges that disclaimer there won't be lifeguards.

One they are not needed, secondly the pools are always busy and have a million eyes on it, thirdly NCL would more liable for any accidents.

And as for kids where the hell are the parents, they should be looking after them.

That is your opinion that they are not needed. Others have a different opinion.

When we were on the Spirit they had an attendant at the children's pool at all time.

The Pearl had an attendant at the slide while open.

Why lifeguards? There isn't ever a time that the pools aren't surrounded by people while open, and covered when not.

No lifeguards at hotels. No lifeguards at most beaches. It's called personal responsibility.:)

And as for kids where the hell are the parents, they should be looking after them.

My absolute FAVORITE thing I have read on this board ever! Why oh why do some parents go on vacation and leave the other guests to watch their kids?!!!! This happens at a land resort we go to a lot as well. It may just be one of my biggest pet leaves!:mad:

Edited by maja651

My absolute FAVORITE thing I have read on this board ever! Why oh why do some parents go on vacation and leave the other guests to watch their kids?!!!! This happens at a land resort we go to a lot as well. It may just be one of my biggest pet leaves!:mad:

I have a problem with this also. The parents think they are on vacation from everything, including parenting.

Because the lifeguard won't have any place to sit because a chair hog will have put a towel and a book on the lifeguard's seat at 6am.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

So true and one of the best responses in this thread. :D As for kids and parental supervision I believe that signs are posted that a parent or guardian must be with any children under 12 using the pools.:p

I have a problem with this also. The parents think they are on vacation from everything, including parenting.

The same thing happens at our local Y. My son is a part time life guard at our local Y. They have 3 indoor pools and one large outside pool. At anyone time they have 12 guards on duty. He's 18 and will be a college freshman, the worst part of his job is dealing with the parents. They either drop the kids off or come with them and then disappear for 4-5 hours. When a guard does need to discipline a kid, (30 minutes out of the pool) usually the parents come back and give the guard grief. Parents are told repeatedly the life guards are not a baby sitting service but for some reason that just doesn't sink in:rolleyes:

Because the lifeguard won't have any place to sit because a chair hog will have put a towel and a book on the lifeguard's seat at 6am.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

LOL:D ALSO...pool is so full of people..it is impossible for your head to go under the water......think sardines in a can...:eek:

I don't think some of you understand what a lifeguard really does. Sure they will pull someone out of the water, but anyone can do that. It is what they do once they are out of the water, thats what counts. Did the person hit there head?, are they not breathing?, are they in shock? All of these things are what a trained lifeguard will be able to spot and react to quickly. Sure there may be someone on deck who can help or they can rush the ship doctor to the pool, but in alot of situations it is seconds that will count, not minutes. There is no doubt that there should be a visible lifeguard around the pools.

Maybe a lifeguard could also be the chair hog policeman too?:eek::eek: But do not expect to see one anytime soon as I have never been on any cruise line with lifeguards, not even Disney.

Edited by terrydtx

I don't think some of you understand what a lifeguard really does. Sure they will pull someone out of the water, but anyone can do that. It is what they do once they are out of the water, thats what counts. Did the person hit there head?, are they not breathing?, are they in shock? All of these things are what a trained lifeguard will be able to spot and react to quickly. Sure there may be someone on deck who can help or they can rush the ship doctor to the pool, but in alot of situations it is seconds that will count, not minutes. There is no doubt that there should be a visible lifeguard around the pools.

I agree to a point, but I honestly believe that at any given time if you are in public, there is someone who is trained and WILLING to perform first aid (CPR inclusive).

I've had to pull kids who were in aquatic distress from pools before that I was in as a guest. Honestly, in most staffed hotel situations the pools are too crowded and the guards are under-staffed.

I can't find any cruise line that has lifeguards, although I don't know about Disney? Nor can I find any home owners association, condo's either. As soon as you have a lifeguard, you accept the liability for the swimmers. By warning of no protection, they have done pretty well. The swimmer and the parents of children swimming are the responsible party.

I think they would close the pools before they provide lifeguards. Same reason they either drain the pools at night or put nets over them.

i do not think ncl does this to save money. Not at all.

What is needed is responsible parents. I am so tired of parents that can not take responsibility for their kids.

amen !!!!!!

Edited by terrydtx

I do not think NCL does this to save money. Not at all.

What is needed is responsible parents. I am so tired of parents that can not take responsibility for their kids.

Those folks must live in my neighborhood. They live on a main thoroughfare but put up portable basketball nets at the curb, facing out into the street. Then they put signs on their lawns saying "Drive as if your kids live here." Meanwhile, the parents are nowhere to be seen.

Those folks must live in my neighborhood. They live on a main thoroughfare but put up portable basketball nets at the curb, facing out into the street. Then they put signs on their lawns saying "Drive as if your kids live here." Meanwhile, the parents are nowhere to be seen.

Thank you I need a good chuckle this morning.:D:D:D They are the same parents who after their child gets hit by a car tells reporters "I can't tell you how many times we told our kids not to play in the street!":eek: BTW this actually happened last year in our neighborhood on the busy street that enters our subdivision.

Edited by terrydtx

FWIW, I was in the hospitality industry for years, managing a small luxury hotel. For our pool, we had LESS liability NOT having a lifeguard than having one. All we needed was a trained CPO (certified pool operator-me) and safety equipment on the premises, i wasnt required to be anywhere near the pool. In our litigious society, our liability for pool accidents would have been much higher if we had a lifeguard stationed by the pool when something happened, and our insurance premiums would have been higher as well. Blame it on a lawsuit happy society..

Parents need to take full responsibility for their children, and as a society we should be looking out for each other and keeping reckless dangerous behavior in check. Of course, God help us if we try to reprimand someone else's child for endangering others when their parents don't care, but that's a whole other issue.

Robin