Inflatable Pool for Infant

There have been numerous studies done on Ship's pools as well as hotel pools and they are much cleaner than you think (the ship's) if you happen to be on one that uses sea water, they are drained and refilled 2 or 3 times on a cruise. So fresh sea water is in there a lot. Plus the cleaning which we have personally seen many times over. Like I said, I'm not worried. There really is more germs on your kitchen sink...that's a fact, Jack!:cool:

There are lots of germs in any pool, but they are everywhere, like on your own toothbrush! Here is a quote from the CDC study results though:

Thankfully, no samples tested positive for E. coli O157:H7, a toxin-producing E. coli strain that causes illness.SIZE]

Edited by BecciBoo

Only until it enters the urethra. There, it pick up bacteria.

No, the urethra, which is the tube from the bladder to the outside world, is (or should be) sterile too. If it's not sterile, bacteria can ascend into the bladder and possibly reach the ureters and kidneys. Urine can pick up bacteria as it reaches the external opening and exits the urethra. Hopefully heading for the toilet and not the swimming pool!

• 2 years later...
Sigh.

Using that train of logic I should be able to bring my own chair and foot stool up there too right? Why should I deprive myself of my right to do whatever I want? Blow up pools, people bringing their own chairs and foot stools, we'd turn it into the Redneck Riviera up there. Nevermind that people would be tripping on them or that they'd pose a real hazard in the event of an emergency. Nevermind that your toddler would be splashing his or her urine and feces on the pool deck where I and others might be walking through it later in our bare feet. Nevermind that most would dump the water back into the pool or right on the pool deck because there probably won't be a drain anywhere handy. Ever try to carry a splash pool full of water to a drain that's maybe 30 or 40 feet away while trying to avoid people in chairs and people walking around? Let me know how that works out for you. All that matters is that you have the right to do whatever you want regardless of the health and safety of others.

Lastly, its not "depriving" your little one of anything. Your older child gets to go in there because he meets the rules and requirements of the activity. Your toddler doesn't. It would be no different then if your older child wanted to go down a water slide. You gonna push your baby down there too because you don't want to deprive him? There's a simple way around this and it involves using the word "No". I know parents today find that word offensive and it should never be applied to their kids but saying "No Johnny, I'm sorry but that area is for older kids. Someday you'll be allowed there but for now we have to follow the rules" creates a teachable moment.

Cruise lines charge infants and toddlers the same as they charge any other child or (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc) adult. Most of the cruise ships don't have any specialized entertainment for these children and do not provide baby food, etc. If parents are paying the same amount for less food, amenities, etc, they should receive absolutely no flack from anyone for providing the neglected entertainment for their kids, so long as the said entertainment is not specifically banned and is provided in the most unobtrusive way possible. There is a difference between a parent that can't say "No" to their kid and a parent that wants to provide a fun and entertaining vacation for their child.

Cruise lines charge infants and toddlers the same as they charge any other child or (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc) adult. Most of the cruise ships don't have any specialized entertainment for these children and do not provide baby food, etc. If parents are paying the same amount for less food, amenities, etc, they should receive absolutely no flack from anyone for providing the neglected entertainment for their kids, so long as the said entertainment is not specifically banned and is provided in the most unobtrusive way possible. There is a difference between a parent that can't say "No" to their kid and a parent that wants to provide a fun and entertaining vacation for their child.

Are you looking for something specific to blow up pools that someone can answer for you? This thread is almost 3 years old and the other is 9 years old. There are other newer threads that might help you.

I've read in various postings that many people with a non-potty trained infant bring a small inflatable pool. The smallest we were able to find was 42 inches in diameter. Is this too big? From the 2 cruises I've been on, I know space is at a premium. Thanks.

i got the really small inflatable bathtub one which will be smaller than this. Look in the bath aisle in Toys R Us or wherever. It works great and also for putting in the bottom of the shower and filling with water for the baby's bath so they dont have to take a shower.

• 3 months later...
Seriously, why pick on the kids for this? If you expect to use public pool facilities on a ship with several thousand people, and don't think somebody isn't taking a leak in the pool, I have a wonderful can't lose investment opportunity for you.

I couldn't agree more...

Hasn't anyone ever noticed that all those adults drinking cocktails around the pools and spas, don't visit the bathrooms for hours and hours!

Seriously, why pick on the kids for this? If you expect to use public pool facilities on a ship with several thousand people, and don't think somebody isn't taking a leak in the pool, I have a wonderful can't lose investment opportunity for you.

I couldn't agree more...

Hasn't anyone ever noticed that all those adults drinking cocktails around the pools and spas, don't visit the bathrooms for hours and hours!

Obviously, the USPH/CDC, who make the regulations regarding diapers in pools onboard ships, not the cruise lines, and are recognized as world leaders in the control of infectious disease, have a different interpretation of the relative hazards of children in diapers in public pools over the occasional adult transgression. I would tend to side with their expert opinion over yours.

Obviously, the USPH/CDC, who make the regulations regarding diapers in pools onboard ships, not the cruise lines, and are recognized as world leaders in the control of infectious disease, have a different interpretation of the relative hazards of children in diapers in public pools over the occasional adult transgression. I would tend to side with their expert opinion over yours.

The real concern is fecal matter, which is not contained by swim diapers, and the ships filtration systems are not set up to handle poop, which can make people very ill. If you want your toddler to swim, take land based vacations, or at least book on the ships that do have splash areas for diapered kids.

I couldn't agree more...

There's a huge difference between urine and feces. We were on a ship when a parent defied the no baby rule and the kid pooped in the pool. It had to be closed for 1 1/2 days for cleaning and sterilization. And what's the big deal if a 12 month old can't go into a pool?

There's a huge difference between urine and feces. We were on a ship when a parent defied the no baby rule and the kid pooped in the pool. It had to be closed for 1 1/2 days for cleaning and sterilization. And what's the big deal if a 12 month old can't go into a pool?

Well, the toddler has spent time looking through the cruise brochures and will be wondering where the pools are and why he/she can't use them. I haven't been in a hot tub since I saw a dad dipping a diapered kiddo in and out like a tea bag.

• 11 months later...
Lets be honest here, the "pool" for the toddler is for the entertainment of the parents. The toddler doesn't even know what a pool is or if that he/she is missing an opportunity to splash in the water on a cruise ship. Like two years from now, the toddler will remember the "pool".

Actually, my toddler has been in swim lessons for 19 months now (since he was 6 months old). He can jump into any pool, fall into any pool, and back float until someone "rescues" him (and his teacher lets him float for long periods of time). In fact, part of the recent lessons is making the pool water imitate ocean water (since we live in Los Angeles). They make waves, splash him in the face incessantly, and even flip him over as though he'd been flipped over by a big wave. He can self rescue in all of these scenarios. When we guide him to the wall, he can even climb out on his own (the first skill they teach infants in swim class). Once he learns to actually swim, he can go from his self-rescue backfloat, swim to the wall, and can climb out.... all on his own.

And he loves to have fun splashing around and being goofy and everything else that comes with playing in a pool.

He 100% knows what a pool is, remembers them 100%, and LOVES swimming in them. And, believe it or not, is SAFE when swimming in them (though, obviously, is is 100% supervised with an adult in the water with him at all times). And in those 19 months, has never once pooped in his swim diaper.

I'm sad he won't get to go in the pool this cruise. But those are the rules...

Edited by jactressk

Actually, my toddler has been in swim lessons for 19 months now (since he was 6 months old). He can jump into any pool, fall into any pool, and back float until someone "rescues" him (and his teacher lets him float for long periods of time). In fact, part of the recent lessons is making the pool water imitate ocean water (since we live in Los Angeles). They make waves, splash him in the face incessantly, and even flip him over as though he'd been flipped over by a big wave. He can self rescue in all of these scenarios. When we guide him to the wall, he can even climb out on his own (the first skill they teach infants in swim class). Once he learns to actually swim, he can go from his self-rescue backfloat, swim to the wall, and can climb out.... all on his own.

And he loves to have fun splashing around and being goofy and everything else that comes with playing in a pool.

He 100% knows what a pool is, remembers them 100%, and LOVES swimming in them. And, believe it or not, is SAFE when swimming in them (though, obviously, is is 100% supervised with an adult in the water with him at all times). And in those 19 months, has never once pooped in his swim diaper.

Obviously your child is very advanced for his age to where he can understand that when he is 100% potty trained he can go in the ship's pools - just like when he meets the height requirement he can go down the slides (albeit he has no control over that). The fact that he has not yet had an accident is completely immaterial - as any parent knows, changes in diet, excitement and the like can all contribute to changes in toilet functions.

Glad you could dredge up a year old thread to give everyone three paragraphs of how amazing your toddler is.......