Tablets in the DR: order your own food

SilvertoGold

With the iPads, you still have a waiter who would be able to accomodate any special requests. It also depends on how the cruiseline programs the tablet for menu ordering.

And as far as the cleanliness factor, how are printed menus that are used on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis any different? At least with a tablet, it has to be wiped down regularly to take off any fingerprints. It's necessary to assure that the tablet functions properly. The iPads that we used on Celebrity were pristine. I doubt that printed menus are cleaned after each use.

To clarify, are you implying that touchscreens are cleaner than printed menus?

If any of the cruise lines start that -- we are done with cruising.

If my DH can't handle a computer -- how does anyone think he can handle a Tablet??

Off topic - sorry:o - but can I ask..... why is your font so large, KK?

Edited to add: I don't like the idea of a passenger-use tablet either. Why can't the servers do that?

I think it would be more feasible for the waiters to use the tablets as they are taking our orders. Not sure I'd want to have thousands of people using the same tablets 3 meals a day. . .

It's not any worse than all the people handling the menus, not to mention the salt and pepper shakers in any restaurant.

Hi

Wow just think we will not need waiters. All we have to do is select our dinner and then go up to a food service area table by table and get our dinner. and carry our plates back to table. same with deserts.

bye bye crusing

Mary

Personnel costs go up every year. And there is now more economic competition in SE Asia as well for the workforce on land. You are probably predicting the future, more than you know. Do you remember those old photos of cruise passengers being offered choices from a common plate and then being served from that plate by the waiter - having all these multiple choices individually delivered to each passenger is really something "new".

It appears that the last vestiges of refined elegance are heading for the door. :(

I agree - sad to see another thing go. I am retired from the IT industry and have no fear or ignorance of computers - I just see the loss of another "genteel" thing as undesirable. Kinda like replacing bed pillows with rocks.

I bolded what you stated Capt. Albert said in his blog..

Did Capt. Albert actually say that HAL may introduce these tablets in order to save paper :confused: or was this just a supposition on his part that eventually this method of ordering will eventually come to pass on cruise ships? There is a big difference in statement actually made about HAL & a supposition about what may come to pass on cruise lines!

Wonder if you were just trying to stir the pot by misquoting him? ;)

Betty

This is what Capt Albert wrote:

"More of these improvements will follow and I would not be amazed if we will see Electronic Tablets appearing in the dining room instead of the paper menus. Instead of your dining room waiter taking your order, he/she will now be there to advise you and to serve; You tap in your choice yourself. It might take a few years but will appear on the cruise ships eventually."

I think it is a great idea. It will free up the servers for those who need more attention. I don't worry about the menus being thoroughly cleansed before I use them so I wouldn't worry about the touch screen. But if the only hesitation is sanitation you can bring along a hand wipe. It seems that many bring wipes along already, and many look at the menu before arriving to the MDR for dinner so it seems so simple. I assume help would be available for questions. We will be using this method of ordering in November in Florida and I am anxious to give it a try. Cherie

If any of the cruise lines start that -- we are done with cruising.

If my DH can't handle a computer -- how does anyone think he can handle a Tablet??

I'm with you! This is not my idea of dining. I have walked out of a local resident which has this. I want to be waited on, not self servicel

What an outrageous post! I live on my IPhone' date=' IPad, and computer and have no trouble with any of them. I'm usually one step ahead of my college age grandchildren who I text at least once a day to stay in touch and when it comes to the latest technology they know Grandma is as capable as they are on her electronic devices. And yes I have my Medicare card. Don't you realize a large % of posters here on CC are seniors. You're either kidding or just insulting. Would there be some pax who had trouble with a simple tablet menu? A few probably, but of all ages. It would be made very simple.[/quote']

It's a running joke in our family that if you have a problem with anything electronic, find a teenager to help you. I have always been quick to pick up anything to do with computers, but my new tablet is the most annoying device I have ever owned. I have to schedule an appointment with my niece to get Android lessons! (And I don't have my medicare card quite yet)

I can see issues for people who haven't used a tablet trying to scroll down a page and "tapping" something by mistake, and then getting frazzled trying to take back the choice.

And I can imagine tablets getting dropped, smeared with food--a lot of times, you get bread served while you've still got menus. Buttery fingers on a tablet???? :eek:

Does anyone remember "Hot Shoppes," Marriott's first business? You wrote down your own order and handed it to the waitress.

Skip the tablets ... install a series of automat machines in th MDR, give diners tokens to use in those vending machines. People could make their selections and carry it all back to their table. HAL could save a wad on paper/printed menus ... and have even fewer dining room staff, just people to clear the dirty dishes. No need to worry about crappy service, as it would be self-serve.

Seriously, I'm not an IT person but I'm also not ignorant of technology either. I see the tablet concept as another step away from personalized service and a departure from the gracious elegance we've enjoyed in the past..

It appears that the last vestiges of refined elegance are heading for the door. :(

I'm with you! This is not my idea of dining. I have walked out of a local resident which has this. I want to be waited on, not self servicel

These 2 posts state what I feel is the biggest problem with a change like this.

(P.S. remembering that this was a musing, not an announcement!)

While I would be sad to lose the traditional menus, I would like to see this implemented for the wine and cocktail list. We were at a very nice restaurant just this past weekend, and we were handed a tablet with a very extensive list. We ordered our bottle of wine and cocktails from it and I thought it worked beautifully.

That being said, I think the cruiseline ought to know their customer. Holland America touts itself as retaining the ambiance of the voyages of the past. The customers who choose to sail on her ships do so because we like the nostalgia of a time where dining was leisurely and elegant, where the atmosphere created an event out of dinner. There are plenty of "hip" options for those that want a bowling alley and rock climbing wall. The company needs to keep this in mind as they make these decisions in the future. :)

Elderly HAL cruisers are baffled by their own cell phones. How would they ever manage a tablet? HAL will have to assign one teenager to each table to help the old folks with the technology.

I am 72, my husband is 82, a friend is 89 and none of us have trouble with technology. I know people in their 40's who have trouble. Please do not stereotype "elderly" as being technophobes.

I'm really beginning to seriously question some of their management decisions....:rolleyes:

Truly...that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Can you imagine going into an upscale restaurant and being handed a tablet and stylus and instructed to make your choices?

Could not agree more. When this happens the days of personal attention to customer wants/needs is over... they may as well have frozen dinners they heat up based on order.

From an elegance perspective I agree, not elegant. From a practical perspective - bring it on. Which would I prefer - it depends.

Yes, I have heard of a number of higher end restaurants that have this practice, many others that I do frequent the servers have been using some variation of a tablet or iPad for a number of years.

Ruth - for special orders or special instructions, I would actually prefer to "do it myself" and I would have more confidence that my instructions would be understood. As an example, on HAL I have found that if have a somewhat unusual request of the cabin stewards, I write out my request. If they do not understand it they can ask their supervisor, verbal requests can be a bit more complicated to communicate - at least in my experience.

I agree - sad to see another thing go. I am retired from the IT industry and have no fear or ignorance of computers - I just see the loss of another "genteel" thing as undesirable. Kinda like replacing bed pillows with rocks.

This is what Capt Albert wrote:

"More of these improvements will follow and I would not be amazed if we will see Electronic Tablets appearing in the dining room instead of the paper menus. Instead of your dining room waiter taking your order, he/she will now be there to advise you and to serve; You tap in your choice yourself. It might take a few years but will appear on the cruise ships eventually."

Thank you for the clarification..I could not find Capt. Albert's blog but understand what was posted in the first post by the OP was not what Capt. Albert actually said..IMO making a statement that HAL was considering doing this is incorrect..

While I would be sad to lose the traditional menus, I would like to see this implemented for the wine and cocktail list. We were at a very nice restaurant just this past weekend, and we were handed a tablet with a very extensive list. We ordered our bottle of wine and cocktails from it and I thought it worked beautifully.

That being said, I think the cruiseline ought to know their customer. Holland America touts itself as retaining the ambiance of the voyages of the past. The customers who choose to sail on her ships do so because we like the nostalgia of a time where dining was leisurely and elegant, where the atmosphere created an event out of dinner. There are plenty of "hip" options for those that want a bowling alley and rock climbing wall. The company needs to keep this in mind as they make these decisions in the future. :)

I bolded your last statement only to let you know that HAL did not make this decision as was erroneously reported.. Fear not, HAL has not even announced that they were considering it..

Look at bcd's quote of what Capt. Albert actually said in his blog above..Capt. Albert said he would not be amazed if tablets replaced paper menu's on cruise lines in the future..

I also agree with you..We book HAL because we enjoy the old world ambiance & the elegance as you do..:):)

Cheers..Betty

I'm really beginning to seriously question some of their management decisions....:rolleyes:

Truly...that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Can you imagine going into an upscale restaurant and being handed a tablet and stylus and instructed to make your choices?

Quite a few extremely high-end restaurants have already dropped printed menus in favor of tablets. Especially farm-to-table eateries where things change daily. We ate at a 3 star, jacket-required place two weeks ago that utilized tablets for both menus and checkout (which I MUCH prefer than give a random yahoo my card).

Removing a printed piece of paper doesn't in any way ruin a dining atmosphere or cheapen it; heck I could easily argue a MDR on a mass market line isn't fine dining to start with. ;)

About passenger age and technology. I live in a community where at least one person in each house or apartment must be 62 or older. When we moved here a very small % or the residents had their own computer and a wonderful Computer Learning Center was developed. Management purchased the equipment, volunteer residents staff it daily. Now, a increasingly smaller number of residents use the center and almost all new residents are computer savvy at least in terms the internet and word processing. In fact, a survey just recently went out to all residents to ascertain the demand for high speed internet being available in all homes if Management could negotiate a better price than we now pay individually. (At the moment all residences automatically have dial-up service but we have to contract with Comcast if we want high speed access in our home.) Many new residents find it incredible that high speed is not automatically available now.

Anyhow,my point is that the folks moving into our community are the very folks who are now able to travel more and do travel more. Each month more and more computer savvy folks retire, go on cruises, move into retirement communities, etc. My point is that almost anything "technological" will soon be expected, perhaps even demanded, in ways that my parents could not even dream of. I have mixed feelings and thoughts on the changes, but I realize they are going to happen, it just depends on how fast and where.

Archived