MS Royal Princess Review: Hits & Misses

stevenr597

You do realize that Princess has been owned by Carnival Corporation for at least a decade? Regulars here have been claiming that quality has been eroding due to this at least since I joined CC in 2006.

To me, Princess has always been a more or less high-mid line brand, but one with a lot going for it. I do admit that I've been less happy with each successively larger ship, and I submit that it is nearly impossible to maintain the same standards of service and dining on a ship with 4,000 passengers as on a ship with many less.

There were complaints of declining food quality and service from those who sailed on the Grand Class ships that carry 3000 passengers. Realistically I wouldn't expect the experience to be better or even equal on a 4000 passenger ship. The way the cruise industry is headed we will be lucky if we receive Olive Garden and Apple Bee's quality and service in the MDR in the future.

There were complaints of declining food quality and service from those who sailed on the Grand Class ships that carry 3000 passengers. Realistically I wouldn't expect the experience to be better or even equal on a 4000 passenger ship. The way the cruise industry is headed we will be lucky if we receive Olive Garden and Apple Bee's quality and service in the MDR in the future.
Food is definitely subjective. We have only sailed on Princess since 2004, not in the "Good Old Days". There have been hits and misses on every cruise, but IMHO there has been no overall decline in food quality over the last nine years or so.

Food is definitely subjective. We have only sailed on Princess since 2004, not in the "Good Old Days". There have been hits and misses on every cruise, but IMHO there has been no overall decline in food quality over the last nine years or so.

I have been cruising with Princess for about the same period and also haven't noticed a decline in quality.

I have been cruising with Princess for about the same period and also haven't noticed a decline in quality.

I've been cruising Princess far longer than that, and I too see no decline. Then again, my food expectations are not in the snooty catagory.

I've been cruising Princess far longer than that, and I too see no decline. Then again, my food expectations are not in the snooty catagory.

I must disagree. I do feel quite strongly that there has been a decline in both the service and quality of the food. Some examples:

1) When I asked the waiter to have my steak well down, he informed me that the chef, "only cooks the food one way." I called the head waiter and he said he would take care of this.

2) I ordered spaghetti and meatballs as an appetizer. The meatball were uncooked inside.

In respect to the Royal Princess the greatest disappointment was the dining room. It is my impression that Princess in trying to encourage the passengers to eat in the Horizon Court where it would be cheaper to serve the passengers, or have them pay a cover charge to eat in one of their optional restaurants.

I always smile to myself when people talk about declines in food and service at Princess. Our first Princess cruises were in December 2003, and we were NOT impressed (this is also why I discount any review by someone who's cruised many times on one line, takes one cruise on another and hates it). We only returned for the 31-night transpacific itinerary in 2004. Then, after two more 7-night Pricess cruises (taken immediately following a Celebrity cruise and we were not impressed with the differences) we did another transpacific. Two more Princess cruises followed, based purely on itinerary, on the Sun Princess. The cabins were small, the ship had frequent plumbing issues, the cheeses were Kraft quality and there was almost no shrimp on any menu. It wasn't until our 6th or 7h Princes cruises (in 2007) that we started to feel Princess was stepping up to the plate. I can point out several expensive food items that we never used to see that we now enjoy on Princess all the time. Service is generally excellent (with only a handful of bad experiences). The Princess we experienced 10 years ago would not having us returning again and again today. It's definitely better.

I agree with this statement. When people complain about the cutbacks or the need for the cruise lines to look for more ways to make money, they aren't looking at the big picture. They could be priced right off the ships if the cruise lines decided to raise prices on the cruise itself. :)

I must disagree. I do not feel that holding the prices down (we are in a recession) is an excuse for a decline in quality and service. One must realize that the new ships are larger with more passengers and fewer crew (due to automation) and there is an economy in scale.

I must disagree. I do feel quite strongly that there has been a decline in both the service and quality of the food. Some examples:

1) When I asked the waiter to have my steak well down, he informed me that the chef, "only cooks the food one way." I called the head waiter and he said he would take care of this.

2) I ordered spaghetti and meatballs as an appetizer. The meatball were uncooked inside.

In respect to the Royal Princess the greatest disappointment was the dining room. It is my impression that Princess in trying to encourage the passengers to eat in the Horizon Court where it would be cheaper to serve the passengers, or have them pay a cover charge to eat in one of their optional restaurants.

I find this pretty amusing, since I often order spaghetti & meatballs as a main course from the kid's menu and it's always been good.

I will let you know specifically about the Royal when we board in two weeks. Somehow I don't think I will be disappointed.

I agree with this statement. When people complain about the cutbacks or the need for the cruise lines to look for more ways to make money, they aren't looking at the big picture. They could be priced right off the ships if the cruise lines decided to raise prices on the cruise itself. :)

Not every cruiser chooses a cruise based on price as their first criteria.

I must disagree. I do not feel that holding the prices down (we are in a recession) is an excuse for a decline in quality and service. One must realize that the new ships are larger with more passengers and fewer crew (due to automation) and there is an economy in scale.

I really wasn't talking about a decline in service or quality in my post. As a matter of fact,I have no issue with Princess on this subject at this time. Holding the line on pricing the cruise while finding other means of recouping

profits was the topic of my post.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree that I have not seen a decline. We cruised the Royal in July and thought the food quality was among the tops we have had on Princess. And we did Anytime Dining, but sticking with the same wait crew, and many nights they only had our table of six and one or two other tables to serve. Their service was fantastic and they were definitely not overworked. Think with the Horizon Court in its's new, upgraded form many are eating up there for dinner.

1) When I asked the waiter to have my steak well down, he informed me that the chef, "only cooks the food one way." I called the head waiter and he said he would take care of this. Did it get taken care of?

2) I ordered spaghetti and meatballs as an appetizer. The meatball were uncooked inside. Did you send it back and get a proper replacement?[/color]

Please see red above.....

I am sorry you were disappointed. It happens sometimes that even the finest dining establishment has a bad moment or two. Hubby had ordered the homestyle fried chicken one night and received a huge bowl of French Fries with 2 pieces of chicken wings. All my husband had to do was look at the bowl and up at the waiter and the waiter asked what he would like instead. The waiter knew the dish was unacceptable but brought it because the chef gave it to him. The chef could say nothing to the waiter because the customer sent it back.

I can't imagine any cruise line sabotaging it's dining room to encourage people to eat elsewhere. Sabatinis and Crown Grill are nowhere near large enough to service the overflow of people that couldn't fit into the Horizon Court if no one ate in the dining room.

We don't have the history many of you do - our first cruise on Princess was 2007 (but we'll be elite after our February cruises :D) and have only been on a single cruise on two other lines. On our recently completed cruise on the Caribbean Princess we experienced wonderful food with one (minor) exception - and even that was handled very well by the staff:

• to quote my DH, the fish (regardless of type) he ordered for dinner at least 8 times was " consistently the best fish he'd ever had on Princess."
  • mouthwatering London Broil and tenderloin in the MDR
  • only one complaint in all the meals: the advertised Hungarian goulash at lunch in the MDR was neither Hungarian nor goulash. That's what DH (who has spend considerable time in Hungary) responded to the waiter when he asked if everything was okay. This was the first time he had ever negatively commented on any food on any cruise. He wasn't upset, just answering truthfully. The waiter quickly brought the Head Waiter over who said (jokingly - we all laughed), "I'm from Mexico and don't know Hungarian food." He said he would inform the chef and offered to replace the soup (meanwhile I had eaten it saying it wasn't bad, it just wasn't goulash). That afternoon we received a special plate of sweets in our cabin from the chef.

I cite the complaint not as an example of a 'decline' in food or service quality but as an example of how seriously the entire staff takes making the passengers happy. The food still tasted good (just wasn't what was advertised) and the wait staff were so concerned that we had to assure them that we weren't upset.

Actually, I'm kind of glad that Princess can't cook a steak well done.:D

Pretty much why I paid double the price to experience Allure of the Seas than I would have for every other mass market ship sailing at the time.

One of these days I'd like to experience either Oasis or Allure. I just can't see spending so much money for 7 days (and I really would want 14 and not 7 anyway).

One of these days I'd like to experience either Oasis or Allure. I just can't see spending so much money for 7 days (and I really would want 14 and not 7 anyway).

Hi Pia,

Here's a post from my Ruby Princess thread were I described my cost comparison between Allure of the Seas and Ruby Princess. It is a premium paid, but in my eyes so worth it. I would have done two weeks on Allure but it was more than I could afford! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37117914&postcount=92

Hi Pia,

Here's a post from my Ruby Princess thread were I described my cost comparison between Allure of the Seas and Ruby Princess. It is a premium paid, but in my eyes so worth it. I would have done two weeks on Allure but it was more than I could afford! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37117914&postcount=92

I've heard lots of good things about these ships too; sister has been; daughter has been, etc. But with all of our Princess cruises, it's not only hard to fit in another, but to allocate additional funds. Eventually.:) Also. with your description, we just might book Central Park.

Pia,

I did both the Oasis and the Allure! It is a ship you must experience. When we were on the Oasis in it's inaugural season, we loved it so much we had to book the Allure the following season. Yes it is more expensive, but you get so so much more. As Dave and I said earlier, to have dinner in a Central Park Restaurant and stroll thru the park after dinner is just so wonderful. Not to mention everything those two magnificent ships have to offer. It is a different experience that you won't regret. I only sail with Princess and Royal Caribbean. Two different experiences, but both great in their own way. Can't wait to hear your reports from the Royal! I will be boarding her shortly after you. :)

Pia,

I did both the Oasis and the Allure! It is a ship you must experience. When we were on the Oasis in it's inaugural season, we loved it so much we had to book the Allure the following season. Yes it is more expensive, but you get so so much more. As Dave and I said earlier, to have dinner in a Central Park Restaurant and stroll thru the park after dinner is just so wonderful. Not to mention everything those two magnificent ships have to offer. It is a different experience that you won't regret. I only sail with Princess and Royal Caribbean. Two different experiences, but both great in their own way. Can't wait to hear your reports from the Royal! I will be boarding her shortly after you. :)

I promise, I promise, I will. We've been on lots of RC cruises, so eventually we'll get around to one of these ships too.

Archived