MS Royal Princess Review: Hits & Misses

stevenr597

Lots of people must be cancelling because the Royal is cheaper than many other Princess ships whilst she is in the Caribbean. $799 for 7 nights in a balcony, hardly commanding big money is she

What specific date(s) do you see $799 for a balcony? For the vast majority of her Caribbean cruises the prices I see average $1049-$1099, and that's just for an entry level balcony.

That was my thought when i saw the original plans. To me, the Royal Princess looks great until you get to the top deck, then it all goes wrong.

That's why it looks like to me also; I thought "what a nice ship for very old people who need to stay in the air conditioning". It looks beautiful but all focused inside. I think it would probably be fine in the Mediterranean where you just want a good bed, maybe a show at night. But for the Caribbean, where half your experience is the ship and especially the pools I would not choose her.

So Shogun's idea sounds great--move the atrium to the crown, that cuts the crowding to acceptable levels, better pools. Near Perfect ship.

Lots of people must be cancelling because the Royal is cheaper than many other Princess ships whilst she is in the Caribbean. $799 for 7 nights in a balcony, hardly commanding big money is she

Are you seeing dollars? Sounds like you're quoting GBP's?

Sabatini's or the Crown Grill, who cares if the windows are blocked. You are most likely eating at night and what exactly are you going to miss seeing? I go to a food venue at night to eat and not to watch scenery. I'm not sure that is a good reason to cancel a cruise. What am I missing?:confused:

Two of the nicest dinners we ever had on a ship were in Sabatini's up on Deck 16 on the Emerald Princess. Both were while going through the Strait of Messina. The first time we saw the lights from both Sicily and the boot of Italy so close that we felt we could reach out and touch the shore. Moments later there was a huge thunderstorm and the sight of the bolts of lightning streaking through the sky on both sides was spectacular.

The following year we made the same transatlantic voyage and once again as we went through the same strait we had another show. It must have been some kind of feast day in one of the towns on the Italian mainland. For many minutes we saw a lovely fireworks show. I doubt that in its new location Sabatinis will offer the same viewing opportunities.

As for us, we loved the quiet and elegant ambiance afforded with the Deck 16 location and the lovely Adagio Lounge next door with nice piano music and an excellent place for a pre- or post- dinner cocktail with friends. That's one of the venues we would miss on the new class of ship.

Two of the nicest dinners we ever had on a ship were in Sabatini's up on Deck 16 on the Emerald Princess.

The nicest dinners I've ever had on any cruise ship were in 150 Central Park and in Chops Grille on Allure of the Seas. No view of the ocean, no fireworks or lightning, no incredible sunset. Just these amazing restaurants with superb food and service, and a view out the windows or from sitting on the restaurant patio of twinkling lights and lovers holding hands strolling among the trees and flowers of the park. It was simply magical with the sounds of the distant violin ensemble playing classical music that set the most incredibly soothing and romantic tone for the entire evening. Simply the best dining experience I've ever had on a ship.

Sabatini's or the Crown Grill, who cares if the windows are blocked. You are most likely eating at night and what exactly are you going to miss seeing? I go to a food venue at night to eat and not to watch scenery. I'm not sure that is a good reason to cancel a cruise. What am I missing?:confused:

One of the most memorable meals we have ever had was on a cruise ship while docked in the port of Istanbul.

Not a Princess ship but the restaurant was on a upper deck aft. We were able to enjoy a fine dinner at a table for 2 with a breath taking view of the bosphorous. We watched the ferries crisscross and as evening fell we watched the city light up on two continents. The ferries and water taxis looked Firer fly's buzzing back and forth.

We often do fine dining on overnight ports so we can enjoy the view and watch night fall over the city we are ported in. Most don't utilize the fine dinning venues on those nights so dinning tends to be unhurried and less crowded.

The food is good in cruise ship specialty restaurants but the view more often is what makes the occasion.

Apparently not on Royal.

The same applies for the spa, I can have a massage at home for $45.00 for a half hour why pay a $100.00 plus and be in a dank spa with limited or no view of the sea?

To each their own but some like to smell the rose's while passing through the garden.

The nicest dinners I've ever had on any cruise ship were in 150 Central Park and in Chops Grille on Allure of the Seas. No view of the ocean, no fireworks or lightning, no incredible sunset. Just these amazing restaurants with superb food and service, and a view out the windows or from sitting on the restaurant patio of twinkling lights and lovers holding hands strolling among the trees and flowers of the park. It was simply magical with the sounds of the distant violin ensemble playing classical music that set the most incredibly soothing and romantic tone for the entire evening. Simply the best dining experience I've ever had on a ship.

Typical of a RCCL newly designed ship, you might as well be in a. Shopping Mall, if your on a ship I think that thing we all call the sea is to me mightly important

To the OP,

I wish to clarify my previous question. First of all, thank you for your comprehensive review. I gather that you feel there are insufficient pools on the Royal. It is the statement that there might not be a problem on a European cruise, but think it will on a Caribbean cruise that brings this question: Did you experience the crowded pools on this cruise? Thank you for your time.:):)

What I meant was that on an European Cruise most of the time spent was on touring and you were, in fact, not on board the ship most of the days. On a Caribbean Cruise there are usually more sea days and there is a greater emphasis to being on the ship.

On the Royal Princess during the sea days we did notice that the ship was crowded. It was difficult to find a chair near the pool. I do believe that this would be more of a problem when the Royal Princess begins its Caribbean runs out of Ft. Lauderdale

One of the most memorable meals we have ever had was on a cruise ship while docked in the port of Istanbul.

Not a Princess ship but the restaurant was on a upper deck aft. We were able to enjoy a fine dinner at a table for 2 with a breath taking view of the bosphorous. We watched the ferries crisscross and as evening fell we watched the city light up on two continents. The ferries and water taxis looked Firer fly's buzzing back and forth.

We often do fine dining on overnight ports so we can enjoy the view and watch night fall over the city we are ported in. Most don't utilize the fine dinning venues on those nights so dinning tends to be unhurried and less crowded.

The food is good in cruise ship specialty restaurants but the view more often is what makes the occasion.

Apparently not on Royal.

The same applies for the spa, I can have a massage at home for $45.00 for a half hour why pay a $100.00 plus and be in a dank spa with limited or no view of the sea?

To each their own but some like to smell the rose's while passing through the garden.

I am with you, your memory of Istanbul sounds wonderful, we have been there several times.

We are not in port over night that often but an excellent suggestion.

Years ago when we use to eat lunch in the MDR daily, we often enjoyed lunch near a window enjoying the view in port or passing by, recall going through the St of Messina once and Gilbrater another time.

I'm a little confused by your response. You refer to Carnival ships and appear to equate what is on Carnival Cruise Lines influences what happens on Princess. They are completely separate companies within the holding company, Carnival Corporation, which also owns Seabourn, Holland America, Cunard, etc. If Carnival Cruise lines is cutting costs, that doesn't mean that Seabourn, HAL, Cunard, etc. are also cutting costs.

Food is very subjective. In my experience on Celebrity, the food in the buffet was left standing under heaters so long it was literally rock hard and the dining room wasn't much better. Several times, we had to send entrees back because they looked like the "mystery meat" of my boarding school days. Celebrity seemed to have far less flexibility when it came to asking for food preparation modifications or just plain ordering something off-menu.

I've taken many Princess tours and usually, there is someone from the ship on the tour, particularly in the Med. Took a couple of Celebrity tours and there wasn't anyone that I could identify from the ship on the tour.

FYI, no Princess ship has been built with a covered pool in years. Perhaps a decade so this is something that is now the norm, not something new with the Royal.

I do agree, that there is a difference between Carnival Cruise Lines which sails Carnival and the Carnival Holding Corporation which control the other lines such as Princess. However, it is my impression, I do admit that I may be wrong, that the Carnival Holding Corporation is also a big fan of "cutting costs" and they are starting to apply some of the budget reductions that they had introduced on Carnival ships to the other ships of their lines. On our most recent cruise we did notice many similarities in the design of the Princess ships as compared to Carnival.

In regards to a covered pool, Princess felt that in the Caribbean a covered pool was not necessary. I do disagree with this, in that it can be quite rainy on these cruises, especially during the summer or tropical season.

In regards to a Princess Employee on the tours, I cannot state that there wasn't one. But if there was an employee he/she did not represent themselves as such. The purpose of an employee on these tours would be to back up the tour guide (as well as to inform the cruise line if the tour guide is, or is not doing his job).

On my Ruby Princess cruise Sabatini's was virtually empty save for a few couples. It just seemed too remote and out of the way, and I wonder how many people just never make it up there because it is up on Deck 16? It would seem that on Royal Princess the location would get much more potential traffic and use being just off of the main Piazza and adjacent to Vines.

For those who do make up there what a treat ... this is my favorite diningroom, lovely room, we enjoyed it 3 times on our last cruise. I wish the Sabatini's on all ships were as lovely and in such a great location.

Princess uses this room for breakfast for suit passengers and we enjoyed a most travelled passenger luncheon there.

Typical of a RCCL newly designed ship, you might as well be in a. Shopping Mall, if your on a ship I think that thing we all call the sea is to me mightly important

As many have pointed out on Cruise Critic, we cruise for different reasons. So what's important to you, may not be important to me. And what may be important for any particular cruise or vacation may change next year. Different strokes. Different folks. I enjoyed the Queen Mary 2 just as much as I enjoyed the Celebrity Mercury but for different reasons. Same goes for the Rotterdam VI and the Dawn Princess, or the Celebrity Millennium and the Volendam. And I'm sure my two weeks on Royal Princess won't be spent trying to find something to complain about.

Thanks OP for your review and sharing your thoughts.

I quite like Shogun's idea and I would just love the Royal Piazza on any ship with a full promenade deck as long as Sabatini's was on a high deck with views over the ocean-perfect .

I'm just happy to have sailed on the Royal and enjoyed the experience.

For those who do make up there what a treat ... this is my favorite diningroom, lovely room, we enjoyed it 3 times on our last cruise. I wish the Sabatini's on all ships were as lovely and in such a great location.

It must be particularly bad then on the six ships where Sabatini's is on the Promenade Deck? There appear to be almost no windows? I've never eaten in one other than on Ruby Princess.

I do agree, that there is a difference between Carnival Cruise Lines which sails Carnival and the Carnival Holding Corporation which control the other lines such as Princess. However, it is my impression, I do admit that I may be wrong, that the Carnival Holding Corporation is also a big fan of "cutting costs" and they are starting to apply some of the budget reductions that they had introduced on Carnival ships to the other ships of their lines.

You are not wrong. There is a tendency here to overplay the "each line is run separately" theme, even among people who are CCL shareholders. If one goes to a shareholder's meeting and demands that the company do a better job at turning a profit, and the CEO say: "OK. We'll start by cutting costs", it would be illogical to think that latter statement could mean anything other than "across the board". If the top of the pyramid orders cost cutting, then the heads of the various lines, even if running their respective lines separtely, have to follow suit. The shareholders' return on investment is dependent on the performance of all of the collective lines, and as such, there are definitely decisions made regarding staffing, costs, etc. that are applied across the board. How could there not be?

You are not wrong. There is a tendency here to overplay the "each line is run separately" theme, even among people who are CCL shareholders. If one goes to a shareholder's meeting and demands that the company do a better job at turning a profit, and the CEO say: "OK. We'll start by cutting costs", it would be illogical to think that latter statement could mean anything other than "across the board". If the top of the pyramid orders cost cutting, then the heads of the various lines, even if running their respective lines separtely, have to follow suit. The shareholders' return on investment is dependent on the performance of all of the collective lines, and as such, there are definitely decisions made regarding staffing, costs, etc. that are applied across the board. How could there not be?

I feel certain you are 100% correct on this. Profitability targets may vary a smidge between lines, but assuming all of its companies compete equally for CCL capital (and I'm sure they do; otherwise, CCL would direct its capital to its most profitable companies), they also need to pony up returns on that capital investment. I'm certain that the different companies go about getting those returns in different ways (Seaborne might raise fares while Carnival might seek to increase on board spending), but I imagine cost cutting is pretty universal.

Dave, I agree completely!! Except we had dinner in Chops, and Giovanni"s Table. The ambiance of dinner in a restaurant in Central Park, can't be beat!

With that being said, we are still so excited to be boarding The Royal Princess in in 59 days. We will be dining in Sabatini's and Crown Grill!!

Can't Wait!!

Steve

Dave, I agree completely!! Except we had dinner in Chops, and Giovanni"s Table. The ambiance of dinner in a restaurant in Central Park, can't be beat!

With that being said, we are still so excited to be boarding The Royal Princess in in 59 days. We will be dining in Sabatini's and Crown Grill!!

Can't Wait!!

Steve

Hi Steve,

LOVED Giovanni's Table. Ate there for my Embarkation Day lunch as well as dinner later in the cruise. Superb. And I too plan on dining in Sabatini's and Crown Grill once on each leg of my B2B, as well as in every other venue on the ship regardless of the view. And I'm sure it will be great!

81 Days and Counting, and still looking forward to Royal Princess! :D

I'm a little confused by your response. You refer to Carnival ships and appear to equate what is on Carnival Cruise Lines influences what happens on Princess. They are completely separate companies within the holding company, Carnival Corporation, which also owns Seabourn, Holland America, Cunard, etc. If Carnival Cruise lines is cutting costs, that doesn't mean that Seabourn, HAL, Cunard, etc. are also cutting costs.

If you don't do so already, try reading some of the other Carnival Corp board here on CC.

You'll find posters at times discussing cutbacks on the lines you mentioned.

Archived