Lisbon advice

We are going to be in Lisbon next August on a cruise. We will be overnight there on the cruise, and then pla on staying 2 more nights. Is that too long?

Any advice on where to stay?

Tour guides or can we do it on our own?

What should we see/do? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

You need to do some homework because there is must to do and see in the region (not just within Lisbon). You might want to visit Sintra and perhaps Cascais and Estoril. There are also lots of interesting places further away if you are willing to rent a car (you can also arrange for day tours through your concierge). If you are interested in music we think a visit to a Fado place is a must. Our favorite place is Senor Vinyo where we think the Fado is more genuine them some restaurants but dinner here is not cheap.

Hank

Irina, it is not too much time. There is a lot to see not only in Lisbon but the places that Hank has mentioned. There are very few cities in the world where one can do justice in one day seeing them so it is nice that you have a lot more time.

There is a wealth of information available about Lisbon and the nearby locations by just doing a simple Google Search.

Keith

Four days would be easy to do on your own and definitely not too much time.

Cascais and Estoril (one day) are an easy train ride away, as is Sintra (another day). That leaves two days for Lisbon.

If I were to do the our trip over, I would have stayed a bit more central - somewhere along the south end of Ave Liberdade near the Rossio train station. We were at the north end which always meant a metro ride to the areas we wanted to have dinner.

• 2 months later...

We just returned from our cruise and we had the best tour ever in Lisbon. We went with bikemyside (.com) on a motorcycle & sidecar with Daniel as our driver/guide. Out of all the excursions we've done, this was our absolute favorite. Daniel was everything you could hope for - professional, prompt, full of interesting information, easy to understand, and able to take us to places that we couldn't have gone on any other tour. There was a transportation strike the day we were there and everyone on the ship was talking about the long lines and delays on their tours. Daniel avoided all the traffic and all the crowds and gave us an amazing tour of his beautiful city. Everywhere we went people we pointing us out and smiling and, I'm sure, wishing they we in our place.

Absolutely not too much time - Lisbon is wonderful! Interesting someone mentioned the aquarium.....I went on my last visit to Lisbon and it is definitely worth the trip. It was a surprise to me, and quite wonderful.

Personally, I would avoid Sintra - I think it's highly overrated - but be sure to spend a day in Belem. Lisbon is an easy city to see on your own, and transit is convenient and inexpensive (I bought a day pass) but the city is quite hilly so keep that in mind if you're going to be walking.

We are going to be in Lisbon next August on a cruise. Tour guides or can we do it on our own? What should we see/do? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Hi Irina

In case it helps, on my day in Lisbon this August I did this :

General sights in Lisbon

St George's Castle

Belem

With so much time you'll be able to really have a good look at this lovely city/area. All the best, Tony

Thanks for sharing your day in Lisbon. I have a 22hr layover in June. Have hotel booked near hoho bus line near Praca Comercia. Belem is a must see. I have Sunday afternoon/evening. Suggestions? I traveling solo, anything I should worry about?

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing your day in Lisbon. I have a 22hr layover in June. Have hotel booked near hoho bus line near Praca Comercia. Belem is a must see. I have Sunday afternoon/evening. Suggestions? I traveling solo, anything I should worry about?

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

We bought an all day pass to use on the trams for about six euros I think. No need to use the expensive HOHO buses. From Praca Commercio, tram 15E will take you right out to the Belem area - ask the driver to tell you when you need to get off for the Belem Tower and then its easy to walk around to many of the sights from that point. We spent a whole day there seeing the Belem Tower, the Monument to the Discoveries (go right up to the top for magnificent views), Jeronimos Monastery, Pasteis de Belem (yummy custard tarts) and the National Coaches Museum.

Just be aware that, as in any large city, there are sometimes pickpockets around so keep your valuables safe and simply be sensible.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Edited by Essexlass2

Going to Lisbon in August as well and have been scouring the hotel listings looking for the best place to stay. I am leaning towards a hotel (LX Boutique) near Cais do Sodre (near waterfront, can pull it up on Google Earth) but there are also hotels near Rossio station and Cala Figuera plaza (spelling/title correct?) that interest me because there is so much public transportation around there. I am finding the golisbon site very helpful for hotels as well as general information, and looking at the areas on Google Earth also helps - although some areas of Lisbon appear to be very graffiti-covered rather rundown that it surprises me. However, I don't need a fancy area or hotel, so I'm being open-minded. Residencial Florescenti (spelling?), Vincci Lisboa, and Hotel Lisboa Tejo have also caught my eye. I am considering a trip to Sintra, but may not have enough time, as there is so much to do in Lisbon itself. Rick Steves' Portugal book has good, detailed information that is helpful. For a hotel, I am trying to keep in mind that not all hotels/pensaos have elevators and AC, and some can be noisy at night if they're located near busy urban areas.

Edited by roothy123

Just wanted to add that while Belem's Monument of Discoveries and Belem Tower are definitely on my "To Visit" list for Lisbon, if you're on a cruise you WILL go past them when docking in, and leaving from, Lisbon. Therefore, assuming you pass them (maybe a half hour to an hour before approaching the place where you'll dock) in daylight at a time when you can be up top on the ship (not eating, etc.) you will at least see them from the cruise ship. As for the Monastery, I am guessing you'll have a glimpse of it, but only of course from the outside - and the inside looks more interesting than outside!

We are going to be in Lisbon next August on a cruise. We will be overnight there on the cruise, and then pla on staying 2 more nights. Is that too long?

Happy to promote our Tour Guide/Chauffeur MIGUEL AMARAL to all on Cruise Critic.

Approved

Smartly dressed

New Mercedes 7 Seater

Knowledgeable about Lisbon and all the secret places

Hotels/Restaurants/Shows/Theater

Speaks English, French, Spanish, Italian and of course Portuguese

Whatever you require Miguel will have the answer.

Just give Miguel an E-Mail - he will be pleased to answer your questions.

[SIZE="3"]miguelamaral@gmail.com - or miguelamaralt@gmail.com -

[/size]

We spent most of just one day exploring all the wonderful sights in the Belem area. Lisbon is a beautiful and interesting city :)

We did the same last year on our TA. We purchased a Lisboa card which included public transportation for the day. All the sites we wanted to visit in Belem were free with the card. Easily picked up near the Commerce Plaza Info booth near the port.

http://www.neoturismo.com/en/tarjetas/lisboacard/lisboacard?utm_source=afiliado&utm_medium=enlace%2Bweb&utm_campaign=programa%2Bde%2Bafiliacion&af=8AE5E617

Just wanted to add that while Belem's Monument of Discoveries and Belem Tower are definitely on my "To Visit" list for Lisbon, if you're on a cruise you WILL go past them when docking in, and leaving from, Lisbon. Therefore, assuming you pass them (maybe a half hour to an hour before approaching the place where you'll dock) in daylight at a time when you can be up top on the ship (not eating, etc.) you will at least see them from the cruise ship. As for the Monastery, I am guessing you'll have a glimpse of it, but only of course from the outside - and the inside looks more interesting than outside!

Ah yes, but you don't see them very close from the ship and you certainly couldn't go up in the lift inside the Monument to the Discoveries for the wonderful view from the top either. Neither would you see all the wonderful detail of this great monument or indeed the Monastery or the lovely gardens opposite the monastery. And, in addition to all that, you wouldn't experience the wonderful atmosphere of exploring this great area or indeed those yummy 'pasteis de Belem'. :D

Ah yes, but you don't see them very close from the ship and you certainly couldn't go up in the lift inside the Monument to the Discoveries for the wonderful view from the top either. Neither would you see all the wonderful detail of this great monument or indeed the Monastery or the lovely gardens opposite the monastery. And, in addition to all that, you wouldn't experience the wonderful atmosphere of exploring this great area or indeed those yummy 'pasteis de Belem'. :D

Right you are ... those 'pasteis de Belem' are, indeed, yummy!! :)

And Esssexlass is spot on ... Lisbon is very easy to DIY.

Edited by dogs4fun

We had a whirlwind day in Lisbon last month on a port call on our Infinity TA. You do see the Monument and the Tower from the ship on your way in and out of port (as well as a glimpse of the Monastery), but of course this does not come close to seeing these on land. Because we had such limited time in port, our city tour did not let us go inside the Monument or the Tower (just outdoor photo ops), but we did have an inside visit to the Monastery. All of this was magnificent, and I envy those of you who will not be rushed in Belem! Have a great time!

JeronimosMonastery_zps0e2bc2a1.jpg

HenrytheNavigator_zpsf7cdb842.jpg

BelemTower_zps0bde9cd4.jpg

JeronimosInside_zpsd48b170e.jpg

(Lisbon photos by turtles06)

• 3 weeks later...
We are going to be in Lisbon next August on a cruise.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

We just returned from our cruise and we had the best tour ever in Lisbon. We went with bikemyside (.com) on a motorcycle & sidecar with Daniel as our driver/guide. Out of all the excursions we've done, this was our absolute favorite. Daniel was everything you could hope for - professional, prompt, full of interesting information, easy to understand, and able to take us to places that we couldn't have gone on any other tour. There was a transportation strike the day we were there and everyone on the ship was talking about the long lines and delays on their tours. Daniel avoided all the traffic and all the crowds and gave us an amazing tour of his beautiful city. Everywhere we went people we pointing us out and smiling and, I'm sure, wishing they we in our place.

We also had a motorcycle/sidecar tour with Daniel on Oct 17, 2013. Daniel was an excellent tour guide and a very safe driver!! We had booked a 5 hour tour and we saw Lisbon from one end to the other. Daniel loves his city and really enjoys sharing his knowledge of this area. If you want a tour that you will never forget...book Daniel at www.bikemyside.com You have to book him well in advance as he is a very popular tour guide in Lisbon and his schedule books up quickly. I booked him ...a year in advance to be sure we had him as our guide!! He's #3... for "Activities in Lisbon" on Tripadvisor. If you type this in "Google" you'll find that info.

Tell him Pat & Cliff say Hi!! :D

Pat :)

Edited by 2Canucks

• 2 weeks later...

There are three different companies operating open-top, double-decker tour buses in Lisbon. The competition to sell tickets is fierce, and each of the companies will use almost any legal means to lure and lock in passengers. Be very certain that you know what you are getting when you hand over your Euros.

First, look at the map to be sure that the area where you are docked is actually on the regular route. The bus companies may send buses by in the morning to pick up passengers and sell them all-day, hop-on hop-off tickets. Once the morning rush ends, the buses revert to their usual routes, as shown on the maps. You may have to find your own way back to the ship from a stop some distance away, or pay for other transportation. The most blatant example, on my last visit, was Grey Line, which actually parked a bus right across the street from the dock. That bus turned out to be a decoy, there solely to sell tickets. The first Grey Line bus that actually went anywhere didn’t come along for another forty minutes and, sure enough, in the afternoon the usual route came no closer than Black Horse Square.

Second, know when the last bus leaves your destination in the direction you need. It may be far earlier than you expect. If you are relying on the bus to get you back to a stop somewhere near your ship, you may need to start traveling as much as two hours before you need to arrive.

In short, if the tour bus fits your schedule and passes by what you want to see, it’s a reasonable option, but it should not be relied on for transportation between points. The city transportation pass sounds like it offers much better flexibility and value.

It's a lovely city - enjoy it!

Connie

• 3 weeks later...

I usually get self-guided walking tour itineraries from websites before a cruise and work out my route from those. For a change, I decided to do a morning guided tour in Lisbon in November and it was great. And it actually finished at the exact spot where my self-guided itinerary for the afternoon would start. When I went to the meeting place it turned out I was the only one who was braving the rain to do the tour and I thought it might be cancelled, but no - so I had a one-on-one tour. I chose the Revelation Tour and the guide was a Uni graduate with very good spoken English and she was very knowledgeable about the monuments/churches/sights/history of the city. The company's called Lisbon Walkers and the website's www.lisbonwalker.com They have 5 different walks (they're not all daily) and you can see which goes where and when on the timetable on the website. Cost was 15 Euros, which included the Santa Justa lift which alone is 5 Euros. The tour lasted over 3 hours and it was excellent value. Meeting/starting point is next to the Tourist Office at the corner of one of the main squares - the Praca do Comercio. That was about 20 minutes walk from the ship which was docked at the new Santa Apolonia (or Alfama) dock.