LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

The end of another day of trivia and not too much else. We never made it to the roll call lunch, since we had a conflicting schedule. There are six captain’s circle cocktail parties scheduled and our invitation was for 7:30 tomorrow. So we went to the 5:15 one tonight. I just knew you folks were waiting for the official statistic. And here they are:

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

Ruby …………………… 259

Gold …………………….. 447

First Place ………………… 1364

Second Place ………………1274

Third Place ………………….1061

First place from last cruise was bounced into 2nd this cruise.

See you tomorrow. Internet running like escargot.

Good evening from the Royal Princess (2015 local time). Had a nice relaxing day at sea today. Today was our CC roll call luncheon in the Alegro dining room. I had some issues however that prevented my attendance. I did hit the fitness center today. It was a little crowded but I was still able to find a machine.

I tried the HC for dinner tonight. What a mistake. I went up there at 1930 hours and saw they only had one section open. Another section was dedicated to "Crab Shack" diners. The Bistro was totally closed with the exception of the Pastry Shop. The PS, IMHO, is another miss for Princess. I chuckle when I remember the pre-launch advertising wherein Rai said guests would be able to watch pastry chefs creating desert master pieces. What they actually offer are the same deserts I've seen on my previous Princess cruises.

Getting back to the HC. The very limited offerings were dull, uninspiring, and just plain looked not very good. After I made a quick exit from the HC I walked to the Trident Grill where I thought I'd check out the smokehouse BBQ offerings. The offerings were a joke. Dried out looking ribs and "giant sized" chicken wings (their advertisement) that were mini wings.

Some other dining issues I have concern the Crown Grill & Sabatini's. The food and service in both venues has been great. The location of both venues is not so great. You are unable to enjoy a quiet dinner in the CG, due do the piano player/audience participation from the adjacent Wheelhouse Bar. Last night when we dined in Sabatini's I noticed the music from the Piazza that made it hard to enjoy a quiet dinner.

The above observations are my own. I fully realize there are others with differing opinions.

Bob

There are six captain’s circle cocktail parties scheduled and our invitation was for 7:30 tomorrow. So we went to the 5:15 one tonight. I just knew you folks were waiting for the official statistic. And here they are:[/size] 

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

See you tomorrow. Internet running like escargot.[/quote]

Thanks for the laugh, Pia.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who would choose to attend the cocktail party time which suited me best. :)

Thanks for the stats. Lots of experienced cruisers on board, so I suspect many would have had high expectations of this cruise.

I wonder how many will handle seven sea days straight well!

We are currently sailing about 400 miles west of Madeira on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. Yesterday and today were spent relaxing and enjoying the sea days, chatting with new and old friends. Today was our Cruise Critic luncheon and there were so many we were given our own dining room. I think 240-250 people were there. Our table was interviewed and filmed for an ITV documentary series to be broadcast next summer in Britain, which was kind of fun.

Found out tonight why some elevators were bypassing floors. Apparently, someone figured out that if you hold down your floor button, the elevator becomes an express. Sheesh! How rude! The elevators are bad as they are without some selfish jerks making it worse. :(

Not sure if this is true on all Princess ships but in the Platinum/Elite lounge, you can order any of the drinks on the daily Platinum/Elite lounge list. So if you want a Chairman of the Board, for instance, you can order it every night, not just the night it's listed, for $5.

We are in an "Owner's Suite (closet is a better term)" on Dolphin deck. The cabin # is D726. Just my opinion, but if you are thinking of booking one, one piece of advice; don't. It is a colossal waste of money for what you get.

Bob

Bob, Is the suite you are in, the one pictured on the Princess site? They use the same picture on every room called a suite. Just wondered if any of the suites are different.

Not sure if this is true on all Princess ships but in the Platinum/Elite lounge, you can order any of the drinks on the daily Platinum/Elite lounge list. So if you want a Chairman of the Board, for instance, you can order it every night, not just the night it's listed, for $5.

We were able to do this on the Emerald this year and also the Diamond but not the Caribbean.

Vickie

I just knew you folks were waiting for the official statistic. And here they are:[/size] 

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

Wow, the a lot of experience and perspective :) I'm curious how many passengers there are total are on the sailing?

Wow, the a lot of experience and perspective :) I'm curious how many passengers there are total are on the sailing?

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

Ruby …………………… 259

Gold …………………….. 447

looks like 3,095

Edited by Kenswing

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

Ruby …………………… 259

Gold …………………….. 447

looks like 3,095

You forgot about adding the blue (new cruisers)

Pia didn't report numbers but I thought the ship held 3500 or so.

My guess is another 500 blue.

One thing I noticed earlier as I got up to take a couple of balcony sunrise pictures. Almost my entire balcony is covered in soot. Earlier on in the cruise I had heard others (with aft facing cabins) complaining about it but I never thought to check our balcony. When I went out on the balcony a little while ago, I saw the black mess.

Anyway, hope all are well….. JJJ

Bob

While you were shooting a beautiful (I'm sure :)) sunrise, did you take any pictures of the balcony soot? I'd love to see them - It seems there's just one set of pictures that is making the rounds. We're going to be in D729 in the Caribbean.

Thanks!

Bob, Is the suite you are in, the one pictured on the Princess site? They use the same picture on every room called a suite. Just wondered if any of the suites are different.

Not even close to the picture description. The OS suites are very poorly designed and way overpriced for what you receive. My guess is the picture/artist rendering is of a PH suite.

Bob

Not even close to the picture description. The OS suites are very poorly designed and way overpriced for what you receive. My guess is the picture/artist rendering is of a PH suite.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I found this site which shows the suites in photos instead of artist renderings.

http://maritimematters.com/2013/07/royal-princess-decked-part-two/

Edited by Mom33

Thank you Bob. I found this site which shows the suites in photos instead of artist renderings.

Mom33, I discovered that site last week and was very disappointed when I saw the OS pictures. Bob said it was like two closets and that IS what it looks like in these pictures. The rendering shows two chairs by the sofa. These pictures show only one chair and a loveseat NOT a sofa. They have the coffee table pushed right up to the loveseat to make the room look wider. It looks like the cabin is not as deep as the aft suites on the other ships. Other OS also have a table and two chairs in the cabin. And then four chairs at the table on the balcony, not two like we have been seeing pictures of.

It looks like the PS have the sofa and two chairs.

I think this will be the last time I book a new ship before it launches. I really feel like canceling. Bob (and the rest of you), thanks for being so truthful in your posts.

Bob, you have mail.

I just knew you folks were waiting for the official statistic. And here they are:

Elite ………………….. 1229

Platinum ……………..1160

Ruby …………………… 259

Gold …………………….. 447

See you tomorrow. Internet running like escargot.

wow. I wonder if these stats will be similar to the 10/29 cruise. We are only Gold,

I don't see how that's any different then the regular suites I've been in on the Star and Sapphire. I can see how you'd be disappointed. (I'm pretty sure the only way I'd ever get to an owners suite would be upgraded into one, as in never gonna happen).

Hello Bob, first thank you for your informative posts. We were booked on the Royal but canceled, I can't explain it, it was like a 5th sense coming over me ,the more I learned about this ship the more uneasy I got.Now the pictures of the suites and mini suites have validated my feelings. You are very right,for the money spend on the suites they just don't look worth the $$$. Even the mini suites have lost 24-25 square feet and the small balconies leave me speachless.:confused:

I would love to find out who came up with this design,I am not an architect but have been on many different ships and could have come up with better use of space for this ship.It is a shame that Princess bosses could not see the design flaws but wasted room on silly spacewalk,fountains ala Balagio while sacrificing room for another pool.Yes the Atrium looks nice,except for those awful pea green chairs at crooners (hopefully the color looks better then it comes across the computer screen) But a new ship that has been hiped up by Princess headquarters should offer more than the Royal. So many oportunities missed to impress and give other companies a run for the money. I don't think Celebrity or RCL have anything to worry about. I had hoped for the elegance of Celebrity sprinkeld with some of the fun of RCL and the great food from Oceana with a twist of Princes warm hospitality, oh well one can dream:p while searching for the center stairs and the full promenade.:eek: