How many RCCL cruises have you taken and never gotten upgraded?

reedl

I am at 7 cruises on RCCL and have never gotten any sort of upgrade at all. I was wondering if there are people here who have taken even more cruises and never gotten an upgrade at all. It seems to be so random who gets upgrades to me, but maybe that is just my opinion.

Now before anyone asks, yes I am happy with the cabin I purchased, but getting something "extra" is always nice. We can dream can't we?

I travel a reasonable amount and have been pleasantly surprised with hotel and car upgrades more than once so I know she (upgrade fairy) exists, just not for RCCL. I was even just upgraded at Disney World two months ago from a value resort to a vacation villa for a 6 night stay.

I am at 7 cruises on RCCL and have never gotten any sort of upgrade at all. I was wondering if there are people here who have taken even more cruises and never gotten an upgrade at all. It seems to be so random who gets upgrades to me, but maybe that is just my opinion.

All of them, no upgrade

After 13 RCI cruises, and one coming up, we have never gotten an upgrade--nor have we ever expected one. Would love it if it happened, but it never did. That said, when our friends took their first RCI cruise, when they were checking in at embarkation, they were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade from an IN to an OV.

I always book a cabin that I will be happy with and at a price that I'm comfortable with--because more likely than not, that's what it'll be. And you know what? I've never been disappointed;):)

I am at 7 cruises on RCCL and have never gotten any sort of upgrade at all. I was wondering if there are people here who have taken even more cruises and never gotten an upgrade at all. It seem to be so random who gets upgrades to me, but maybe that is just my opinion.

Now before anyone asks, yes I am happy with the cabin I purchased, but getting something "extra" is always nice. We can dream can't we?

August 23rd was our 23rd cruise on Royal Caribbean and we got our very first upgrade. We had booked an outside cabin and had an assigned cabin number. Two days before the cruise we received an automatic upgrade to a balcony cabin. Made us very happy - we had almost given up hope of ever getting an upgrade.

After 13 RCI cruises, and one coming up, we have never gotten an upgrade--nor have we ever expected one. Would love it if it happened, but it never did. That said, when our friends took their first RCI cruise, when they were checking in at embarkation, they were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade from an IN to an OV.

I always book a cabin that I will be happy with and at a price that I'm comfortable with--because more likely than not, that's what it'll be. And you know what? I've never been disappointed;):)

Same here, never been upgraded but we book suites most of the time. ;)

Do you mean upgrades initiated by Royal Caribbean or do you also include those where the price of a higher category drops below what you've paid and you get a free upgrade that way?

If the former, then none (out of a dozen or so cruises).

If the latter, then one. We had a Promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas for something like $839/person. Then, for some inexplicable reason, a few days before sailing, they opened up a $799/person balcony guarantee. We snatched it up and got a very nice D2 cabin out of the deal.

I have taken 18 Royal Caribbean cruises.

As others mentioned, it might depend upon what you mean by "upgrade."

I have caught price drops and thus got a better cabin for little or no money (I call that a price drop; some might say I upgraded myself, but terminology varies).

The main way I have gotten "upgrades" were when I booked guarantee cabins and got better-than-promised assignments. So far, when I have picked my cabin (and have not upgraded myself), I not gotten an upgrade gratis from the cruiseline.

If you are a risk taker and are not picky about cabin location, you could try booking guarantee cabins; maybe you will like your assignment. Or maybe not. Trying for such an upgrade is a risk.

Sometimes those seemingly random upgrades come from the revenue department when they need a certain cabin or cabin category to sell to a new booking to maximize revenue. Other than perhaps somehow picking really desirable cabins, it is hard to increase the odds of such revenue dept upgrades.

With seven cruises, please realize there are many way, way ahead of you in cruises and C&A points. As free C&A upgrades are relatively rare and are supposed to go from top cruisers down, I remind myself that there are many ahead of me in line, so I do not expect a C&A upgrade. You should not either.

Sailed 30 cruises with RCCL and have never been upgraded.

We have sailed Princess, Holland American and Celebrity too and have never been upgraded on those either.

We sail on B2B on Oasis in less than 2 weeks and are hoping our luck will change.

Do you mean upgrades initiated by Royal Caribbean or do you also include those where the price of a higher category drops below what you've paid and you get a free upgrade that way?

If the former, then none (out of a dozen or so cruises).

If the latter, then one. We had a Promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas for something like $839/person. Then, for some inexplicable reason, a few days before sailing, they opened up a $799/person balcony guarantee. We snatched it up and got a very nice D2 cabin out of the deal.

I am referring to the phone calls from RCCL (or when checking in at the port) and they casually say to you, "You are in a better cabin than what you initially paid for"

26 so far and we have 6 scheduled from Nov through Sept 2014. On our 2nd Disney cruise we were upgraded from inside cabins (2) to balcony cabins.

No complaints -- always happy with what we book.

I travel a reasonable amount and have been pleasantly surprised with hotel and car upgrades more than once so I know she (upgrade fairy) exists, just not for RCCL. I was even just upgraded at Disney World two months ago from a value resort to a vacation villa for a 6 night stay.

Ten cruises no upgrades.:)

Archived