1st overnight flight to rome - any tips?

NJ&Ozzie

I read a 500+ page book, watch a film or two if tolerable and always choose an aisle seat so I can get up to walk every 45 minutes or so to keep circulation going. My feet don't touch the floor when seated as I am short so I take a small cotton travel blanket to roll up at my back for lumbar support. My carry-on only soft-sided tote fits under the seat in front and doubles as a foot rest.

I never wear any synthetic clothing on a flight, only organic cotton dresses with loose drop waists and a sweater and socks. In a fire, all that wrinkle-free travel clothing will melt faster than the Wicked Witch of the West.

I never consume anything that would make me drowsy as I want to be at full capacity in case of an emergency.

I depart from comon wisdom in that if I arrive at my destination in daylight, I take a short nap after being out in the sun for an hour or two walking around. If I arrive anytime past 5:00 p.m. local time, I eat a light meal, shower and then head to bed. Works for me.

In economy class, I've just found it difficult for me to sleep while the food service is ongoing. Too loud, too bright (even with eye covering)...I just can't do it. There have been times I don't eat, but still just can't fall asleep in that environment. In business class, where it's a bit more comfy, I have done it before...just not in the back of the plane.

Interesting because in business class, the meal service tends to drag on much longer than in the back of the plane.

Sounds like first class on Emirates. Or was there supposed to be sarcastic smiley that I missed?

I would hope that you would at least read the safety card. And if airsick, the bag might be useful.

Why not just bring a box of latex gloves with you? Sounds like it would fit right in.

you read one safety card you read them all.. I worked in a hospital over 20 years and was always told the worse thing to handle were the magazines in the doctor waiting rooms. most folks in the waiting rooms are sick and probably coughing and sneezing into them. I've never been sick on a flight or a ship. but thanks for your concerns.

First of all I wish you a Bon Voyage and congrats on your first overnight flight.

Here are some tips that works well. Be sure to dress comfortably for the flight. Perhaps Yoga Pants or sweatpants and a comfortable sweater. Dress in layers. You can then pack a change of clothes if its going to be warm when you arrive then you can dress down. Also bring your jacket with you onboard.

1. The night before your flight eat pasta and other carbs. Then go to bed around 8:00 PM

2. The next morning wake up around 4:00 AM and stay up the entire day until after dinner on your flight. You can have wine/beer etc along with water and OJ. Contrary to what others have said I do drink alcohol on the plane in moderate amounts as it helps me to sleep.

3. Buy Noise Cancelling Headphones you don't need such an expensive pair. I have the Sony NC-8 and it works well. You then put on an instrumental station like the Spa channel and have it on at a good volume.

4. See if the airline can reserve you Premium Seats in the first cabin on the 2 side if it s a 767 by the window. When your in the first cabin you will be served first and can get off before the other Economy Passengers.

5. IF your airline does not provide an amenity kit go on Ebay and purchase a First Class amenity kit with sock,eyeshades, earplugs and mini toothpaste and moisterizing face cream etc. It comes in containers that fit the liquids allotment.

6. Bring an empty water bottle and ask the flight attendant to fill it with water. Before you get on the plane you can go to a concession and fill it with ice.

7. Pay the day fee to use the lounge and if they have a shower use it.

8. Do not drink caffeine before the flight. Wait until you arrive in Rome to have an espresso. Also take as hot of a bath or shower as you can tolerate(5 Minutes for every timezone crossed). It will help your muscle to relax. I do this at the recommendation of a pilot and it really works. I have been jetlag free by doing this.

9. Stay awake for the entire day. Exercise and enjoy the sun. Take a walk using Rick Steve's guidebooks or tour your area. If you need to take a nap set your alarm for 45 minutes and no more. Enjoy dinner and call it a night by 9:00PM. Make sure you alarm is set for no later than 7:00 AM and stay up the next day. By then your on schedule.

On the return flight

1. Go to bed by 8:00AM and wake up around 4:00 AM

2. On the plane have lunch and a glass of wine. Then take a 2 hour nap and then stay awake until 10:00 PM your time.

3. Take a hot shower or bath for 5 minutes per time zone crossed before bed.

BTW never ask what time is it at home. Always set your clock to the local time once you board the plane. In fact I have stopped wearing watches on planes for this reason. Don' keep looking at the Air Map unless your a geography geek like me(:

Enjoy the flight.

you read one safety card you read them all...I worked in a hospital over 20 years
You read one prescription label, you've read them all....

Even on an airline such as Delta, their 757 fleet has several different configurations. One has NO over-wing window exits. But heck, who cares about heading to a non-existent exit. Ditto with their 767s....several different door/window configs.

But then, I'm all for personal choice. As long as it doesn't compromise my safety. YMMV.

On a plane with true lie flat seats. Next choice would be premium economy if the airline offers it, not all do. Finally in economy in an exit row as you will get more leg room. Never the row in front of the exit row as many of these seat either don't recline or recline very little so as not to block the emergency exit row. Lastly never the last row in the aircraft as many of these seats offer little or no recline as well depending on the aircraft and carrier

I don't have a pre-flight routine. My TATL flights all start with either a morning flight from my home airport to the east coast for a connection or an 11 hour afternoon flight from my home airport to Paris then connect. But, all are overnight flights.

I wear whatever are my comfy pants at the time (currently either Prana cammo pants or my Athleta Bettona Boyfriends), a ribbed tank top (stretchy and long), and then a hoodie or comfy top layer. Due to a previous injury, I now ear some Zensah compression sleeves on my legs (I like them because I wear whatever and then just put them on when I get on the plane).

I don't wear any makeup, just a moisturizer. I have a small mirror from an old toiletries kit (about 3x2") that I keep in my "misc" (it's always in my purse or backpack everyday) bag that I can use to put my contacts in at my seat (and if I want to add eyeliner or something..). I have some of the Colgate Wisps in that bag, too - I'll use them instead of trying to fight the masses going to the lag to get ready. I have some towelettes from Herban Essentials (website is the name as one word) to refresh myself.

I have my Bose QC 15 headphones - best investment I did for travel. I bring my iTouch with a custom playlist to lull myself to sleep. I also have a New Trent battery backup to use on the iTouch if the flight is longer than the battery life... I have a inflatable footrest from Magellans that is a new fave. I only have to use it when not flying Business, but it is a very nice thing to have. My surgically-repaired ankle has felt MUCH better after long flights since I've been using it. I use a homeopathic anti-jet lag pill called "No Jet Lag" from New Zealand (but available on Magellans and REI). I just have my own anectodal experiences, but I do believe they have helped. On the way East on TATL flights, I don't have an issue sleeping; it could be the 2 glasses of wine I have with dinner that help :D

When I arrive, I will do my best to be outside and get some fresh air and (hopefully) sunshine until about 3pm. I then do a "power nap" for about 30-45 minutes. After that, I'm always good to go for the rest of the day and evening and wake up the next day all settled.

You read one prescription label, you've read them all....

Even on an airline such as Delta, their 757 fleet has several different configurations. One has NO over-wing window exits. But heck, who cares about heading to a non-existent exit. Ditto with their 767s....several different door/window configs.

But then, I'm all for personal choice. As long as it doesn't compromise my safety. YMMV.

frankly several miles over the Atlanta the only thing you need to worry about is being able to bend over and kiss your a$$ good-bye. but, again thanks for your extreme concern. you know where a lot of passengers hide their trash and used kleenex? particularly back in the cheap seats.

frankly several miles over the Atlanta the only thing you need to worry about is being able to bend over and kiss your a$$ good-bye. but, again thanks for your extreme concern. you know where a lot of passengers hide their trash and used kleenex? particularly back in the cheap seats.

Obviously you don't realize that most of the incidents with aircraft don't happen several miles over the "Atlanta" (sic), but upon take-off and landing. Multiple incidents have proven that it is indeed very possible to get off an aircraft in an emergency. Well, if you even know where the emergency exits are :D

Does anyone have any tips or advice ....

Is it better to get an aisle seat to be able to get up & around easily?....

You've received a large number of tips so far, so I will only add to the comment waterbug123 mentioned about using the lavatory in the morning as you approach your destination. Do not wait until after the breakfast service - the lavatories will be very popular then. And I hope this goes without saying, but be sure to wear shoes into the lavatory, especially toward the end of the flight. :o

Obviously you don't realize that most of the incidents with aircraft don't happen several miles over the "Atlanta" (sic), but upon take-off and landing. Multiple incidents have proven that it is indeed very possible to get off an aircraft in an emergency. Well, if you even know where the emergency exits are :D

you guys are so simple.. no one said they wouldn't know where the exist are I suspect we will walk right by them on our way back to the cheap seats. we will also pay attention to the safety briefing instead of playing with our phones or tablets.. evidently a little sarcasm seems not to be understood on this site.

You've received a large number of tips so far, so I will only add to the comment waterbug123 mentioned about using the lavatory in the morning as you approach your destination. Do not wait until after the breakfast service - the lavatories will be very popular then. And I hope this goes without saying, but be sure to wear shoes into the lavatory, especially toward the end of the flight. :o

Hey everyone!

Thank you all so much for your advice & valuable insight. I now have a much better idea of what to expect. We leave Toronto at 10:50 pm arriving in Rome 1:20 pm the next day. Then we have to hop on the train to Civi & then get to our hotel. Fortunately, in May we decided to try the train & will be staying at the same hotel. Hopefully, we will be able to maintain some level of alertness to make it there!!

But of course, the light at the end of the tunnel will be spending two weeks on the Navigator.

I like the idea of eating well before the flight - not always loving the airline meal anyway. And hadn't thought about the actual time available for sleeping - factoring in the meal service, etc. Guess the 1st day will be a little rough but if you're gonna travel, it's part of the game.

Again, what a group of Cruise Critic folks!!

Cheers,

NJ :)

Take off shoes when you board the plane ..

Actually poor advice. Best to leave your shoes on until you reach 5K to 10K feet after take-off. In case of an emergency (which almost always happen right after take-off or upon landing), you want yours shoes ON and not trying to fumble to get them on if you need to quickly exit the aircraft. Sure this happens very infrequently but reality is, it can happen. I never take my shoes off until after take-off.

Take off shoes when you board the plane ..

Unsound advice. As others mention' date=' the chance of an accident or incident is almost zero on your airline flight. If anything does happen, chances are (80+ percent) it will be on takeoff or landing. You must be able to "[i']get off the aircraft FAST[/i] " (verbatim from one airline's emergency card), and away from the aircraft with a possibility of metal shards, rocks, etc. along the escape route.

A travel editor of our local paper was involved in an aborted take-off and evacuation using slides. She had made herself comfortable and ended up running in stocking feet and standing outside for 15 minutes. It was in 10 degree weather and she was dressed for her tropical destination. Although it's impractical for commercial flights and an accident is far less likely, there's a reason that military crews wear flight boots and natural fiber or fire-resistant clothing.

Look at the photos of the Asiana accident...would you prefer to run or walk 100 yards though that with or without shoes? No time to put on shoes...in serious accidents the NTSB found that 12 seconds is the "golden" period to be headed out of the plane.

Between the first and last 5-10 minutes of the flight, make yourself comfortable!

Don't just keep shoes on, but also don't wear heels or other impossible to move in shoes. Even on business travel where I'll need heels before my meeting, I carry them in my bag and wear loafers, sneakers, or even sports sandals on the plane. They stay on until we are well into the air.

Super advice! It feels so much better when someone rolls their oversized bag over your foot when you've taken your shoes off while you are boarding the plane.

...and you wonder why some people feel like the Cruise Air forum is not a very friendly place at times? :confused:

Interesting because in business class, the meal service tends to drag on much longer than in the back of the plane.

Some carriers will bring you all the courses at once upon request so you can eat then get to sleep. If you take that option they will still be handing out trays in coach long after you've settled into your pillow and comforter for the night.

Some carriers will bring you all the courses at once upon request so you can eat then get to sleep. If you take that option they will still be handing out trays in coach long after you've settled into your pillow and comforter for the night.

You are exactly right and that is one of the reasons I specifically said "tends to" in my post.

We flew from Toronto to Rome in April before our cruise. Try to get some sleep on the plane - dress comfortably and wear noise cancelling headphones. When you get to Rome, grab a cab and head to your hotel. After you check in, have a shower and change then go sightseeing. You're in Rome! Enjoy it. We walked (got a map from the nice people at the hotel) and walked. It started to rain, so we pulled up the hoods on our jackets and kept walking - it's Rome! And so beautiful. We stopped and got gelato then walked a bit more and found ourselves at the Trevi Fountain. Eating gelato at the Trevi - quintessential Roman holiday memory. Later, we found a nice little bistro for a late dinner. Then walked back to the hotel and slept. Next day more sightseeing. The next day, we headed to the port and started our cruise.

Archived