Regatta was very good,but

alexandra cruiser

it could have been a PERFECT cruise ex.for less than stellar entertainment.We went to all 3 Broadway type shows,and walked out on 1 singer/impersonator.The 4 featured singers (no dancers) were pretty average(to put it mildly).

It was the Montreal to NYC that just got back Sunday AM.

We booked a PH suite and it was WORTH every penny.Loved the Butler,great stewardess,hot breakfast room service,PM canapes,tub,etc.

The 4 restaurants were ALL very good,much improved since last Insignia cruise a few yrs.ago.

Went on a few shore excursions that were well handled,on time,informative,enjoyable.Did rest of ports on own.

Liked it all so well, we booked another (on Riveriera)for 2014.Now I hope that one has better entertainment.;)

Now I hope that one has better entertainment.;)

Don't count on it ;)

Guess you leaned nothing for all the research you did

Oceania is not noted for their entertainment sorry to say

Not surprising. O is not known for top drawer entertainment, and the O ships are little different from the R ships - the stage is a bit larger and easier for the entertainers to work aboard Marina/Riviera.

But if that is the biggest complaint you had, it sounds like you had an awesome cruise.

Don't count on it ;)

Guess you leaned nothing for all the research you did

Oceania is not noted for their entertainment sorry to say

+1

Entertainment and their shorex's are their Achilles heel :D

I can live with that.

+1

Entertainment and their shorex's are their Achilles heel :D

I can live with that.

+2

ME TOO ;)

As long as they have a great string quartet we are happy

Say HI to Marsha

Lyn

it could have been a PERFECT cruise ex.for less than stellar entertainment.We went to all 3 Broadway type shows,and walked out on 1 singer/impersonator.The 4 featured singers (no dancers) were pretty average(to put it mildly).

Walking out on entertainment shouldn't ruin any cruise. We do it plenty of times !

I was on the Riviera in Feb. I was pleasantly surprised by the entertainment, especially the magician/comedian. Not sure what to expect in a couple of weeks on nautica though

If the same performers who worked in August-September are still on Nautica, you can expect two very good female singers, one good male singer, and one acceptable male singer.

The Broadway-themed show is the best of the three production shows since it features really wonderful music and the voices can handle the songs with at least reasonable success.

The American-themed show is weird in that it is supposed to feature music naming many states but it gets bogged down with two or three for some states and omits appropriate songs that are simply much better songs. For example, how could the producers omitted two John Denver songs, "Rocky Mountain High" and "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" in favor of three Tennessee songs?

We didn't go to any of the individual performer's shows.

and YES with better entertainment it WOULD have been PERFECT cruise.

Again,hoping Riviera will be a LITTLE better.Always pass on the magician/comedian thing.

But,yes the string quartet was lovely and enjoyed them at tea and in lounge areas when they played.

After so many cruises,really going on ports of call THEN best ship that fits the bill with right dates for us.Prefer LESS at sea days too.

About going to bars,sorry we don t drink so no packages for us.

But did go to concierge veranda from PH for next cruise,sounds similar on Riveriera as the PH is on Regatta.Love the tub,hot breakfast,etc.;)

But did go to concierge veranda from PH for next cruise,sounds similar on Riveriera as the PH is on Regatta.Love the tub,hot breakfast,etc.;)

Even the standard verandahs have tubs.

You might want to search for the thread about hot breakfast as there was discussion about this not being a perk for concierge.

It was the Montreal to NYC that just got back Sunday AM.

We booked a PH suite and it was WORTH every penny.Loved the Butler,great stewardess,hot breakfast room service,PM canapes,tub,etc.

The 4 restaurants were ALL very good,much improved since last Insignia cruise a few yrs.ago.

Went on a few shore excursions that were well handled,on time,informative,enjoyable.Did rest of ports on own.

Liked it all so well, we booked another (on Riveriera)for 2014.Now I hope that one has better entertainment.;)

Do you know the name of the singer/impersonator ?

On average I'd have to say that we too tend to prefer the individual musicians, especially those of the classical bent.

But I remember an absolutely fabulous magician we saw on the QE2 about 10 years ago, and I generally don't care for magicians.

And we really enjoyed Dottie's husband (forget his name, I apologize) who was the comedian on Regatta last year.

Mura

Still not Broadway, but much better shows.

Anyone who is expecting a Broadway show on Oceania (or any cruise line, for that matter) is setting themselves up for a major disappointment. Not only are the shows a different caliber - so are the performers.

If you were a Broadway/West End quality star, would you prefer to perform on Broadway/West End or on a cruise ship?

Cruise ships attract "fading" stars or second/third tier talent by definition.

That said, with this in mind and appropriate expectations, the performances can be enjoyable and entertaining and many of the performers ARE indeed very talented. We appreciate those who are talented but perhaps not (yet?) ready for Broadway for their talents and efforts.

Same can be said of the quartets - they are obviously not Carnegie Hall caliber, but if they are good, they can be enjoyed as is.

Anyone is free to attend these performances or not, for whatever reason.

Agree with Paul. Don't go on any cruise expecting more than third rate entertainment.

As for shows on O ships it wouldn't matter how good they were I wouldn't sit in that uncomfortable theater. Only trivia gets me in there and just barely.

On average I'd have to say that we too tend to prefer the individual musicians, especially those of the classical bent.

But I remember an absolutely fabulous magician we saw on the QE2 about 10 years ago, and I generally don't care for magicians.

And we really enjoyed Dottie's husband (forget his name, I apologize) who was the comedian on Regatta last year.

Mura

Tom Drake and yes he is quite good. We had a memorable entertainer on our Australia a couple of years ago....Donald Cant. He was so good I bought his CD which never, ever happens. So once in a very blue moon will you a great entertainer. Some are better than others, but by and large sometimes it's not worth the effort to go to the lounge!! Arlene;)

Tom Drake and yes he is quite good. We had a memorable entertainer on our Australia a couple of years ago....Donald Cant. He was so good I bought his CD which never, ever happens. So once in a very blue moon will you a great entertainer. Some are better than others, but by and large sometimes it's not worth the effort to go to the lounge!! Arlene;)

Tom is very good. Usually I skip the entertainment but we enjoyed him on our Polynesia cruise. We also once had a great classical guitarist. Sometimes you luck out.

Yes, Tom Drake. Being New Yorkers we particularly enjoyed his routines.

Further, on our Norway cruise on Insignia in July 2010 there were several really excellent Polish musicians on our cruise. Some classical, but also one really wonderful jazz musician who played just about every wind instrument that exists.

You never know!

But I DO agree -- you don't sail on O for the entertainment. Sometimes it's very good, but usually ...

well, ahem.

Mura

Even the standard verandahs have tubs.

You might want to search for the thread about hot breakfast as there was discussion about this not being a perk for concierge.

and I DO remember that thread.But will double check AGAIN.That is one perk I really enjoy and will have to upgrade if needed.

Sorry, can t remember(for poster who asked) the name of the singer.But he did Tom Jones,Elvis,impersonations.Some on cruise LIKEDd it,so know its subjective.

Glad to hear the bigger ships have more entertainers.Funny, because we were on both Regent and Seabourn(luxury I know)but had good singers and dancers with small ships.Get what you pay for,right.But need itinerary based ones after 25 cruises(have to SEE the world,haha).Will be on Scenic riverboat in June from BUdapest to Bucharest.Try to vary between the two types.;)

Archived