People in the HAL ads

mamamzee

A photo of our dog was actually used in HAL brochure about 7 or so years ago. :D Really, it was!!!!

So funny! I could offer my cute kids as models if they give me a free cruise...I am always open to bargaining! We can throw the pet turtle in as well! :)

I am 59 going on 60 just like Christie Brinkley (the model), but good grief, I don't look anything like her.........let's face it, my Hollywood days are over! Christie is a freak of nature, too perfect, like most of the people in the HAL ads. I would guess that only a very small percentage of the world's population looks THAT good!

As an aside, I am glad I don't have that burden of being gorgeous, it would be too much work trying to stay that way IMO.

More like the combined results of the best personal trainer, makeup stylist, beautician, and plastic surgeon that money can buy.

:p

Captain Jonathan Mercer has been in several HAL TV commercials. I've sailed with him so know what he looks like. No wonder HAL chose Capt. Mercer. He's a fine looking gentleman. Can't say I've seen his wife though.

Thank you for the name and coming to the aid of my senior moment!:)

Captain Jonathan Mercer has been in several HAL TV commercials. I've sailed with him so know what he looks like. No wonder HAL chose Capt. Mercer. He's a fine looking gentleman. Can't say I've seen his wife though.

His wife is gorgeous - stunning!!! She was on the N. Amsterdam with us.

A photo of our dog was actually used in HAL brochure about 7 or so years ago. :D Really, it was!!!!

Your dog? What did your dog have to do with cruising? Do tell, please.:)

Formal Night?

(Disclaimer : Not Sails real dog.)

Dogintux.jpg

Neither does she.

More like the combined results of the best personal trainer, makeup stylist, beautician, and plastic surgeon that money can buy.

:p

I heartily agree with both of you. It is almost a crime to look that good at "almost" 60. I saw her on TV this week, and it is unbelievable how perfect she looks. I guess that is what millions of dollars do for you!:)

I guess I will be my "less than perfect self" and be happy with it!

The models selected are a subliminal attempt by HAL to generate business from demographics different from their present core.

Younger, thinner, better dressed, more ethnically varied.

All cruise lines do it to some degree, that's why more obvious Sr. Citizens are shown in Carnival ads than HAL's - market to those that you don't already have.

Your dog? What did your dog have to do with cruising? Do tell, please.:)

We were on a ship which I will not name and received a call the first afternoon after boarding. We were asked if we would be agreeable to let a photographer hired to do ships' photos use our Suite to take his photos which would be used in upcoming brochures. We thought it would be fun and agreed. All the Suites he wanted to photograph were occupied on that cruise.

It turned into a much longer episode than we expected and it lasted hours which was surprising to us but very interesting to watch. He had to wait until sun was shining at just the angle he wanted, blah blah blah

VERY well known photographer and very nice. We enjoyed chatting with him while he did his work and I teased how would we know for sure if the photo in the brochure really was our suite. He suggested I put something (small) of our personal possession on the counter and he would include it in the photo so we would know it was our cabin.

We had a framed photo of our sweet dog with us (I never traveled without it :o) and he placed it on the counter incorporated into his setting and sure enough when we saw the brochures some months later, our furbaby's photo was included. :)

Oh so many HAL stories we have; so many wonderful memories. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We were on a ship which I will not name and received a call the first afternoon after boarding. We were asked if we would be agreeable to let a photographer hired to do ships' photos use our Suite to take his photos which would be used in upcoming brochures. We thought it would be fun and agreed. All the Suites he wanted to photograph were occupied on that cruise.

It turned into a much longer episode than we expected and it lasted hours which was surprising to us but very interesting to watch. He had to wait until sun was shining at just the angle he wanted, blah blah blah

VERY well known photographer and very nice. We enjoyed chatting with him while he did his work and I teased how would we know for sure if the photo in the brochure really was our suite. He suggested I put something (small) of our personal possession on the counter and he would include it in the photo so we would know it was our cabin.

We had a framed photo of our sweet dog with us (I never traveled without it :o) and he placed it on the counter incorporated into his setting and sure enough when we saw the brochures some months later, our furbaby's photo was included. :)

WOW - awesome story - reason u won't share the ship at the time? it would be neat to know!!! of course if u prefer not, I get it - but it would be nice. What kind of dog did/do you have?

Incredible story!!!

What a wonderful story! Do you still have that picture & would you be willing to post it of your sweet pup?

We too travel with a picture of our very sweet dog & put it up on the mirror.. Also, to help DH to find our cabin when going back & forth, I put a picture of her on our cabin door...Our Friends who travel with us & are usually next door, also put a picture of their dog on their cabin door..I thought we were the only ones who are so nutty about our Pup's..

Cheers..Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

What a wonderful story! Do you still have that picture & would you be willing to post it of your sweet pup?

We too travel with a picture of our very sweet dog & put it up on the mirror.. Also, to help DH to find our cabin when going back & forth, I put a picture of her on our cabin door...Our Friends who travel with us & are usually next door, also put a picture of their dog on their cabin door..I thought we were the only ones who are so nutty about our Pup's..

Cheers..Betty

you are not alone:):) we haven't yet put a pic on our cabin door - but if I mention it to DH he might well want to:eek: We do bring pics on my Ipad and stuff. Honestly, I enjoy the break (I need one already) but still miss them. Dh likes to see the pics so they come along.

[/quote

What a nice story. We'll be away for so long on our next cruise, I think I"ll have to take a picture of Livie with us. We do have her picture on our cell phone, though.

Edited by mamaofami

I took my 21 year old niece on her first cruise in March on the Nieuw Amsterdam. They were shooting (that is taking pictures of) models for the current mailings both on the ship and on HMC. When we were walking down the beach we got between the photographer and the models. Luckily, he just laughed.

When my niece got her first HAL mailing (The first Explore 4 offer), she drove to my house to show me "our models" on HMC on the back cover. She said seeing the picture was really exciting. And I thought her first cruise with a cabana and in a Neptune Suite would have been exciting enough!

Cheers..Betty

Betty, I'm happy you liked the story.

I still have the framed photo of Suzie and several brochures with the suite photo taken that day but I still don't know how to post photos. :o Again and again people here have kindly given me instructions, I've printed them out but have yet to buckle down and learn how to do it. One of these days......... :D

Sadly, what we no longer have is our sweet Suzie. We lost her five years ago to the Rainbow Bridge. :(

Not that I think we look like people in the HAL ads, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw this photo of us from our cruise last November was it looked like an ad. Of course, without my beautiful wife in the photo it would be just another boring photo :)

original.jpg

Not that I think we look like people in the HAL ads, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw this photo of us from our cruise last November was it looked like an ad. Of course, without my beautiful wife in the photo it would be just another boring photo :)

original.jpg

Great photo..you are a lovely couple! And it does look like an ad!

It is not about how customers really are/look.

It is entirely about their respective aspirations...from looks, to dress, to perceived occupational success, to sophistication, to personal financial success, and so on.

You can certainly determine what HAL's target market is from the ads.

I truly believe there isn't a shortage of good looking people. We are in our early forties and we take good care of ourselves. We could be one of those couples. But we never thought about selling our photos. LOL

Edited by Thebes