Royal Caribbean reserved areas on ships

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas to the Canary isles from Southampton.

It’s about three years since I have cruised with Royal Caribbean.

I was shocked and rather disappointed to see that certain areas of the ship were reserved for gold card holders only, for example the centre tiered section of the main pool was roped off and a sign posted "Gold card holders only”, and the

centre balcony section of the theatre. The staff did allow non gold card holders into the theatre section as the performance was about to begin, if there were any seats not taken by gold card holders. This meant there was always a crowd of people waiting at the entrance to this section, and then a mad rush and push for the seats when the rope was dropped.

I am all for people getting value for money and understand that Gold card holders have paid higher fares but my complaint is their extra privileges effect other customers by the above segregations and exclusions on the ship. The discrimination that one feels when asked to sit in a shaded area by the pool when there are plenty of empty seats in the sun or to have to wait in a queue to see if gold card holders will come to take up their seat is quite upsetting and should be highlighted in the holiday brochure.

Royal Caribbean “the nation of why not” it’s because you are not a gold card holder, that’s why not.:mad:

That's the first I have heard of sections of the pool deck being roped off. I'd be :mad: as well

It's not new. Suite guests (GS and above) and Pinnacles have a reserved section by the pool, not right next to it btw. They're not prime seats by any stretch.

We've been in a GS a few times and we never use the reserved pool seating as we dont' want to sit in the direct sun. We also rarely use the reserved theater seating as it's not the best either. But, yes, GS and above pay a lot for their suites and just like in a hotel on land where people pay more for concierge service or for certain rooms, there are perks. Heck, some hotels have entire pools and beaches for their higher paying customers. You really can't be that surprised.

There are several threads on this topic over the last few years. Just search.

That's the first I have heard of sections of the pool deck being roped off. I'd be :mad: as well

I did complain at the customer relations desk and was told its policy across the full fleet of ships. I asked why is this not stated in the brochures that certain areas of the ships will not be accessable to all passengers, and was not given an answer.

it's been that way for several years....and for the most part the sections by the pool & in the theater IMHO are not that great! They are in the upper sections of both...I prefer to be down low & close to the action...

it's been that way for several years....and for the most part the sections by the pool & in the theater IMHO are not that great! They are in the upper sections of both...I prefer to be down low & close to the action...

As do I in regards to the pool. I may just have never noticed the section in that case. Priority seating arrangements for suite guests has been well established re: shows.

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas to the Canary isles from Southampton.

I was shocked and rather disappointed to see that certain areas of the ship were reserved for gold card holders only, for example the centre tiered section of the main pool was roped off and a sign posted "Gold card holders only”, and the

centre balcony section of the theatre. The staff did allow non gold card holders into the theatre section as the performance was about to begin, if there were any seats not taken by gold card holders. This meant there was always a crowd of people waiting at the entrance to this section, and then a mad rush and push for the seats when the rope was dropped.

I am all for people getting value for money and understand that Gold card holders have paid higher fares but my complaint is their extra privileges effect other customers by the above segregations and exclusions on the ship. The discrimination that one feels when asked to sit in a shaded area by the pool when there are plenty of empty seats in the sun or to have to wait in a queue to see if gold card holders will come to take up their seat is quite upsetting and should be highlighted in the holiday brochure.

Royal Caribbean “the nation of why not” it’s because you are not a gold card holder, that’s why not.:mad:

What is your point?

I did complain at the customer relations desk and was told its policy across the full fleet of ships. I asked why is this not stated in the brochures that certain areas of the ships will not be accessable to all passengers, and was not given an answer.
The brochures DO state that suite guests get VIP pool deck seating on some ships and that they get reserved seating at the shows.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Gold Card isn't a higher fare . It's a level attained by the number of times you have cruised with RCI.

it is not new nor are they prime location loungers.. considering the overall percentage of roped off loungers as compared to what is available to everyone, it is NOT that many its just that people automatically cry foul and scream discrimination.

I get it all the time at Disney when I end up in the tiny little roped off areas for WC users to watch a parade. inevitably somebody has a hissy fit because their precious little bundle of joy cannot sit in that section.

Gold Card isn't a higher fare . It's a level attained by the number of times you have cruised with RCI.

Nope, Gold card is the the sea pass card that is gold to show that your a suite guest. Your thinking of the Gold members of the frequent cruiseing program.

My point

I was not told when I booked the cruise that certain public areas of the ship would not be accessible to me.

The brochure told you if you read it, so did the web site.

Nope, Gold card is the the sea pass card that is gold to show that your a suite guest. Your thinking of the Gold members of the frequent cruiseing program.
Actually, it is both. Pinnacle members are given gold cards regardless of their room category.

wrong.

Gold cards are ALSO given to Pinnacle and I think D+ as well. even if they are in a teeny tiny inside cabin in the bowels of the ship.

did it affect you that much? This has been in effect for years on every ship.

Never bothered me

Get there early to get a seat

Yes it did. I complained on the ship and then forgot about it. I just won't cruise with them again. Plently more ships on the sea.

I just got off the Explorer of the Seas and I did notice a very small roped off section for suite holders off on a tier up from the pool, not a big deal. If there was a reserved section of the theater, it must have been on the lower level as we used the balcony for the theater shows and didn't notice one.

Wait until the OP finds out that they also have an exclusive lounge as well as

one for D+ members. :rolleyes:

Archived