Royal Caribbean reserved areas on ships

My point

I was not told when I booked the cruise that certain public areas of the ship would not be accessible to me.

Clearly stated in documentation. I am sure that if you are unable to read an RCI rep will be glad to read it to you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

It's not new. Suite guests (GS and above) and Pinnacles have a reserved section by the pool, not right next to it btw. They're not prime seats by any stretch.

On Adventure the reserved pool seating is in the tiered section by the pool not over the Sky Bar like on other ships. I would consider the area prime on Adventure.

hat

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas to the Canary isles from Southampton.

It’s about three years since I have cruised with Royal Caribbean.

I was shocked and rather disappointed to see that certain areas of the ship were reserved for gold card holders only, for example the centre tiered section of the main pool was roped off and a sign posted "Gold card holders only”, and the

centre balcony section of the theatre. The staff did allow non gold card holders into the theatre section as the performance was about to begin, if there were any seats not taken by gold card holders. This meant there was always a crowd of people waiting at the entrance to this section, and then a mad rush and push for the seats when the rope was dropped.

I am all for people getting value for money and understand that Gold card holders have paid higher fares but my complaint is their extra privileges effect other customers by the above segregations and exclusions on the ship. The discrimination that one feels when asked to sit in a shaded area by the pool when there are plenty of empty seats in the sun or to have to wait in a queue to see if gold card holders will come to take up their seat is quite upsetting and should be highlighted in the holiday brochure.

Royal Caribbean “the nation of why not” it’s because you are not a gold card holder, that’s why not.:mad:

Good grief:eek: A very very small part of the ship is reserved for Gold Seapass card holders. These are not even "prime" areas. There is no reason for this to be highlighted in the holiday brochure. Read the whole thing if it's really that important to you. And no, I'm not a PC member and I don't usually cruise in a full suite:rolleyes:

Seriously? Talk about a 'first world' problem!

We had 'gold sea passes' two weeks ago on our Freedom cruise because we were sailing in a Grand Suite. Never even went and looked at the reserved pool seating - found loungers that we liked just fine on our own. We did sit in the theater seats that were reserved the first night, but discovered that they really weren't very good seats! The rest of the cruise we sat downstairs in our favorite location.

If this is your biggest problem in life consider yourself blessed!

Yes it did. I complained on the ship and then forgot about it. I just won't cruise with them again. Plently more ships on the sea.

Wow, if that is all it takes to move you to another cruise line I suspect you will find something on each one of them that will drive you elsewhere.

On Adventure the reserved pool seating is in the tiered section by the pool not over the Sky Bar like on other ships. I would consider the area prime on Adventure.

Anything in the direct sun isn't "prime" to us :D But, we've never been on Adventure, so I'm going by what we've seen on the ships we've been on.

DH has had melanoma and I burn easily so we'd just as soon have shade. Reality is, most of the reserved seating area at the pool is not prime and is rarely full or even close. OP wanted to start a class war apparently, but that's been done to death on here.

Some people are only happy when they have something to complain about. OP probably passed by 20 empty seats until they got to the further away reserved seats just so they could complain.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Anything in the direct sun isn't "prime" to us :D But, we've never been on Adventure, so I'm going by what we've seen on the ships we've been on.

DH has had melanoma and I burn easily so we'd just as soon have shade. Reality is, most of the reserved seating area at the pool is not prime and is rarely full or even close. OP wanted to start a class war apparently, but that's been done to death on here.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the sun issues. I don't burn but still avoid the sun when I can. But I know folks who love that tiered seating. And, of course, we all know of one infamous CCer who lives to bake in the sun. ;):D

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas to the Canary isles from Southampton.

I was shocked and rather disappointed to see that certain areas of the ship were reserved for gold card holders only, for example the centre tiered section of the main pool was roped off and a sign posted "Gold card holders only”, and the

centre balcony section of the theatre. The staff did allow non gold card holders into the theatre section as the performance was about to begin, if there were any seats not taken by gold card holders. This meant there was always a crowd of people waiting at the entrance to this section, and then a mad rush and push for the seats when the rope was dropped.

I am all for people getting value for money and understand that Gold card holders have paid higher fares but my complaint is their extra privileges effect other customers by the above segregations and exclusions on the ship. The discrimination that one feels when asked to sit in a shaded area by the pool when there are plenty of empty seats in the sun or to have to wait in a queue to see if gold card holders will come to take up their seat is quite upsetting and should be highlighted in the holiday brochure.

Royal Caribbean “the nation of why not” it’s because you are not a gold card holder, that’s why not.:mad:

Disappointing ...maybe. Discrimination...hardly.

It's no different then other things in life: paying more (directly with upfront money or indirectly through long-term loyalty) oftentimes earns you perks. Those willing to pay for first-class plane airfare get priority boarding, wide seats and meals. Pay for the high end hotel rooms get you rooms and you get better views and concierge services. Pay for the most expensive sport arena seats and get skyboxes or floor level court side seats. Pay for valet parking and you get covered parking and door to door service. Shoot, if you are willing to pay for higher groceries you can shop in stores and get all organic produce straight from the farmer's market. Pay top dollar for a college dormitory and trust me your dorm is likely in a prime location.

And whether it's airplanes, sporting arenas, concert halls, valet parking, etc all these opportunities to "buy-in" to upgrades/benefits/perks are advertised to those who want to indulge. It would be a horrible business marketing strategy to keep these revenue generating perks a secret. :D

It seems to me that you are very easily shocked and upset. Did this honestly have such an impact on your holiday? :confused: Maybe next time you should research before you buy? Most, if not all, cruise lines provide such perks for suite guests, and it is a well advertised fact, and has been the case for a long time. To some people these types of perks are important, to others they aren't. As others have said, the seats generally aren't the best in the theatre or at the poolside. So much so that many suite guests don't bother with them and use the general seating instead.

In my opinion you have over reacted and allowed something of little importance to have a negative affect on your holiday, and that is a shame. It's just an opinion though. Hope you enjoy your next cruise on another line and find something that meets your needs.

Wow, if that is all it takes to move you to another cruise line I suspect you will find something on each one of them that will drive you elsewhere.

Agree,

It's no different then other things in life: paying more (directly with upfront money or indirectly through long-term loyalty) oftentimes earns you perks. Those willing to pay for first-class plane airfare get priority boarding, wide seats and meals. Pay for the high end hotel rooms get you rooms and you get better views and concierge services. Pay for the most expensive sport arena seats and get skyboxes or floor level court side seats. Pay for valet parking and you get covered parking and door to door service. Shoot, if you are willing to pay for higher groceries you can shop in stores and get all organic produce straight from the farmer's market. Pay top dollar for a college dormitory and trust me your dorm is likely in a prime location.

And whether it's airplanes, sporting arenas, concert halls, valet parking, etc all these opportunities to "buy-in" to upgrades/benefits/perks are advertised to those who want to indulge. It would be a horrible business marketing strategy to keep these revenue generating perks a secret. :D

very well said!

Yes it did. I complained on the ship and then forgot about it. I just won't cruise with them again. Plently more ships on the sea.

You'll find every cruise line does something like this. Some even have entire restaurants only available to suite guests.

I did complain at the customer relations desk and was told its policy across the full fleet of ships. I asked why is this not stated in the brochures that certain areas of the ships will not be accessable to all passengers, and was not given an answer.

I don't think it states in the Brochure that Men are not allowed access to the female bathrooms, or that passengers are not allowed access to crew areas or the bridge,it is just something that is normal. It does state in the brochure that some areas are reserved for Suite guests, so really, whats the issue??

wrong.

Gold cards are ALSO given to Pinnacle and I think D+ as well. even if they are in a teeny tiny inside cabin in the bowels of the ship.

No gold cards for diamond plus...only suites (GS and above ) and Pinnacle C&A level.:(

Oooops! Sorry for repeating this info...that'll teach me to read the whole thread (which I usually do) before posting a reply!

Archived