Whats not to miss in Windjammer

I love the salad bar. The MDR is only open for lunch on one day during our cruise, so we will alternate between WJ and Park Cafe.

I advise everyone to steer clear of the cold fruit soups. I am very adventurous with food, but that is beyond my range of enjoyment.

That's funny, and shows you just how subjective food tastes are.

But do NOT miss the bread pudding during afternoon "snack" or "tea" time.

. :rolleyes:

Their bread pudding really paled compared to Celebrity Eclipse...very disappointing, I thought.

I second the tuna salad - I have it every day for lunch.

Agree. I would scarf a couple of croissants at breakfast to make my tuna sandwich. Wish they would just put out croissants at lunch time.

I'm with those who like the seafood paella, although it's best if you get it right when they've put out a fresh one. It's not a particularly authentic paella in some respects (too much rice), but it tastes pretty decent.

For breakfast, I also like the sweet bread, as well as the thinly sliced dark bread, which is great with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

At dinnertime, I love the cold hors d'oeuvres/nibbles/cheeses/antipasti they put out.

Funny story about that: on the way back from a trip to Montreal we stopped at the Cabot Cheese factory in Vermont. During the factory tour someone asked the tour guide what the unprocessed curds tasted like, and the guide replied that while you technically could eat the curds they'd probably taste gross. My girlfriend and I just stood there agape, having just spent a long weekend gorging on poutine. We couldn't believe that someone leading tours at a cheese factory would say that!

Ha! It makes sense in the cheese world and totally understandable how you both reacted. There are some much needed chemical reactions and time before that curdled milk comes to be the white gold that is so loved. :D

Normally I am not one for french fries, but the fries in the Windjammer are excellent (a coating or batter covers them before they're fried).

I much prefer the turkey sausage at breakfast to the brown 'n serve style pork sausage. Really tasty.

Agreed, Honey Stung Chicken is hit or miss. Have only had it once when it was really, really good. Usually, not so much.

Afternoon snacks - great taco/nachos bar and Bread Pudding!!! My personal favorite.

I really like the pasta bar. Sea days they often have a Mexican style buffet area at lunch. They also do an amazing chicken thighs in cream sauce Thai style that goes great over Jasmine rice. I like their veggies, sometimes it's a mixed sautee, sometimes garlic string beans. I am not an Indian food fan myself but my family likes it. Usually once air twice a trip they have a great hot dog station with all the condiments. I have had really good fried fish. I like the mousses for dessert. The key lime mousse is great.

So, look around, take a little taste of this and that, go back for more of what you want. If you see something you might like, eat it then cause it might not show up again on that cruise! They have hot fresh sticky buns at breakfast once a cruise. Oh boy I am hungry now.

For breakfast, I have become a huge fan of the Trainman breakfast sandwich which can only be made in the Windjammer. Im also a huge fan of the made to order fried eggs.

I like their fries. Especially when they are freshly put out.

Honey stung chicken on boarding day is just like Merion Mom said IMO. Its very hit or miss. its generally pretty good if you get up there early when they first put it out. After it sits under the heat lamps for a while. its not good at all.

What is a "Trainman Breakfast Sandwich"?

Never mind...just found the answer ~~Guess I should have read on.

Edited by FirstTimeCruiser2002
Found the answer

I completely agree about the french fries, really good. For the adventurous (or the Indian food lovers) it seems like they have benn putting out Saag Paneer (sp?) lately and it has been some of the best I've ever had.

Before the questions - it is curried spinach and 'farmers' style cheese.

I thought that it was tofu. :confused::confused::confused:

I love the salad bar. The MDR is only open for lunch on one day during our cruise, so we will alternate between WJ and Park Cafe.

I advise everyone to steer clear of the cold fruit soups. I am very adventurous with food, but that is beyond my range of enjoyment.

Gina: I used to slurp up the cold fruit soups, too, until I saw the recipe. They are about 85% sugar! :eek:

I wanted to ask you: why does someone named "dread pirate" have a cute bunny avatar? ;) :D

Okay, I have to admit that I am not much of a hot dog person in general, but I had one in the Windjammer on our last cruise. I had done the spin class that a.m. and laid by the pool until later in the afternoon and I was hungry. In that frame of mind, in any case, I thought they were delicious!

My favorite food in the Windjammer is the Indian food or any other non-continental type. I think the MDR used to have an Indian selection in the evening but I didn't find them these past two cruises after the new menus were instated.

Before our daughter, dh and I always ate in the main dining room on our cruises wanting the best meal. However, I have been pretty impressed with the Windjammer on Royal. I wouldn't want to eat there every night, but once or twice a cruise it is a great alternative. I can only compare, Celebrity, Disney and RCI, but I think Royal does the best buffet.

Enjoy!

Koohiichan

My favorite thing at the Windjammer (on ships that have it) is being able to get a table outdoors to enjoy my lunch or breakfast. We come from a northern climate, so being able to eat outdoors in winter is a highlight for us. Won't see that again till May, where we come from.