Should we renew our passports?

Mattypies

We are sailing in early February 2014. Our passports expire in March 2014. I read somewhere that your passport should be valid for 3 months after sailing date. Anyone know why or if this is neccessary.

I was going to just renew them but my son will be 16 in April so if I waited he could apply for the regular adult passport that is valid for 10 years. I am a little concrened that his passport looks nothing like him. His pic is a 10 year old boy and now he looks more like a man! He has crossed the border and lfown with this passport in the past year.

Any suggestions?

Heather

I'm cruising in December. My passport was to expire in February 2 months after my cruise. I renewed it because I didn't want to take any chances. Also I didn't do my cruise documentation until my received my new passport because I knew it was going to have a new passport number.

We are sailing in early February 2014. Our passports expire in March 2014. I read somewhere that your passport should be valid for 3 months after sailing date. Anyone know why or if this is neccessary.

I was going to just renew them but my son will be 16 in April so if I waited he could apply for the regular adult passport that is valid for 10 years. I am a little concrened that his passport looks nothing like him. His pic is a 10 year old boy and now he looks more like a man! He has crossed the border and lfown with this passport in the past year.

Any suggestions?

Heather

I would renew when I got back, especially your son's passport.

Found this on the RCCL website :

A: Given the events over the last few years, having the proper travel documents has been a considerable concern of many guests before they enjoy a carefree holiday. Passport, visa and innoculation regulations may vary by destination and may change from time to time. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiry date does not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

Any suggestions?

Heather

Especially since you are traveling with your son, I would take the conservative approach and renew beforehand. It just makes things easier and a better peace of mind. He won't have to renew again for several years.

Found this on the RCCL website :

A: Given the events over the last few years, having the proper travel documents has been a considerable concern of many guests before they enjoy a carefree holiday. Passport, visa and innoculation regulations may vary by destination and may change from time to time. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiry date does not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

To put that quote in context, it is an answer to a question concerning excursion planning and visas and innoculations for visiting specific ports.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Excursion+Planning&faqId=1066&faqSubjectId=327&faqType=faq

The OP is sailing a closed loop cruise from a US port, they do not even need a passport to sail, they could sail using a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

To put that quote in context, it is an answer to a question concerning excursion planning and visas and innoculations for visiting specific ports.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Excursion+Planning&faqId=1066&faqSubjectId=327&faqType=faq

The OP is sailing a closed loop cruise from a US port, they do not even need a passport to sail, they could sail using a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Ah ok..... did not know the OP's itinerary when I posted.

Still don't..... :)

Especially when children involved, I think worst case situation when planning. It is a lot easier to get an evacuation from an island back to the U.S. with a passport. In reality, your are totally correct in saying that no passport is needed. However, it does make things simpler when traveling anywhere with a passport.

I would renew the passports. Despite the trip being scheduled as a "closed loop" anything can and does sometimes happen. You could miss the ship in port or become sick and have an accident. There is still plenty of time to renew and better safe than sorry. My 2 cents. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would wait until I returned to renew UNLESS one of the ports you are visiting requires that a passport be good for at least six months longer. IMHO it is silly to renew early unless required to do so; it is just throwing money away for no reason - especially considering by waiting your child's passport will be valid for an additional five years.

I would renew. If something unfortunate should happen and someone get injured or worse. The ship reroutes someone for medical treatment in another country. You will need that passport to get home. Its not worth taking chances.

Especially when children involved, I think worst case situation when planning. It is a lot easier to get an evacuation from an island back to the U.S. with a passport. In reality, your are totally correct in saying that no passport is needed. However, it does make things simpler when traveling anywhere with a passport.

I would renew the passports. Despite the trip being scheduled as a "closed loop" anything can and does sometimes happen. You could miss the ship in port or become sick and have an accident. There is still plenty of time to renew and better safe than sorry. My 2 cents. :-)

They have valid passports. They would have valid passports to get home if they were to miss the ship.

When traveling to some countries, you are required to have at least six months remaining on your passport. The OP is going on a cruise and will be considered in transit, there is no six month requirement in their case. By waiting to renew until after the son turns 16, his passport will be good for 10 years, instead of 5 years.

It is a personal choice, but we waited until our son turned 16 to renew his passport.

The OP is cruising on Oasis from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. As already mentioned, technically all you need for that cruise are certified copies of your birth certificates and not passports. If it were me, I'd bring both the birth certificates and passports, but would NOT renew the passports until after the cruise/son's 16th birthday.

Normally I am not a risk taker but in this case I would use birth certificate/photo id. Now here is where it is funny to me...:p I asked my husband his opinion, he said passport, no if/an/buts. :eek::cool: Glad our kids passport timing works for us!

I would renew. If something unfortunate should happen and someone get injured or worse. The ship reroutes someone for medical treatment in another country. You will need that passport to get home. Its not worth taking chances.

The passports will be valid for the duration of the cruise and OP will have no issue getting back to the US. As long as none of the ports require a longer date of validity, I would wait until I got home. But I might take the original (or certified copy of) both birth certificates with me for belt and suspenders.

They already have passports. They would have no trouble getting home. Even if they did not have passports, they would still be able to get home - it just would take longer and be a bit of a hassle. However they have valid passports as is!

They have valid passports. They would have valid passports to get home if they were to miss the ship.

When traveling to some countries, you are required to have at least six months remaining on your passport. The OP is going on a cruise and will be considered in transit, there is no six month requirement in their case. By waiting to renew until after the son turns 16, his passport will be good for 10 years, instead of 5 years.

It is a personal choice, but we waited until our son turned 16 to renew his passport.

You have the absolutely correct answer! The United States considers a passport to be valid until expiration date, so no problem getting home. For the cruise itself, a passport is not even required for a closed loop Caribbean.

Sherri:)

Wow you guys are quick!! Thanks for all the input. The problem is that I agree with renew it and I agree with just waiting. We are Canadian, flying into Fort Lauderdale and taking the eastern carribean itinerary on the oasis. Now I maybe more worried about the picture sooo not looking like him than I am of the expiration date!

Wow you guys are quick!! Thanks for all the input. The problem is that I agree with renew it and I agree with just waiting. We are Canadian, flying into Fort Lauderdale and taking the eastern carribean itinerary on the oasis. Now I maybe more worried about the picture sooo not looking like him than I am of the expiration date!

Everything I was saying was in regards to US passports. You better check the Canadian passport website for specific information in your case. A US citizen can sail on a closed loop cruise with a certified copy of their birth certificate and a government issued ID. As a Canadian citizen, you definitely need a valid passport.

Does your son have a government issued ID that has name and a more current photo? If yes,then I would wait, even given the info that you are Canadian. Your passports will be good during the cruise. They will get you home during the cruise. As long as the US Customs people will let you in with only a month left on your passport, then I would wait. There is no reason to expect trouble, based on the website of CBP, https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619

I didn't renew my son's passport until after his 16th birthday for just that reason. It expired, but was still good to use to get his new adult passport, one month after it had expired, but just after his 16th birthday. I told him that it was the last time I was paying for his passport. :). He didn't need it in that month.

Archived